HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

Crosby Negotiating with Swiss Club

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2005, 10:42 PM
GSC2k2*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader Zim
I would think If unsigned, at some point he renters the draft.
Under the current rules, he would re-enter the draft.

More importantly, however, he would remain subject to the entry level limits. Anyone who is signing their first contract and is less than 25 is subject to the entry level limits. THere was a sliding scale of duration of contracts, with the upshot that you are subject to the entry level caps until you are 25.

This was put into the old CBA to prevent precisly this sort of thing. It is in the PA's interst to do this. I cannot imagine this would be tinkered with.

Old
07-06-2005, 10:53 PM
GSC2k2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBowman
He never turned it down because it was never legit.
And you think this "offer" from the Swiss is legit?

Whenthe Swiss team making it confirms it (and they would have no reason not to trumpet it, since what? Other Swiss teams will try to beat it??? ), THEN I will believe it.

THe fact that people even treat this as a serious fact is laughable.

You all realize who the "source" is, don't you????

Two letters as a clue:

PB

Old
07-06-2005, 11:04 PM
missK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029
Not to ask a stupid question, but do they not have endorsement deals in Europe?
They sell Reeboks and Gatorade in Switzerland and Europe too.

Old
07-06-2005, 11:23 PM
Hoss

vCash: 50
What's the difference if he cuts his teeth in Europe or slugs it out in the NHL? Anyone here think he's going to get 100+ points/season as a rookie? Whoever drafts him will still have a hot property after a few tours in Europe.

Old
07-06-2005, 11:30 PM
mr gib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larionov
I'm not sure how many of you read Sports Illustrated, but they did a review in there of the top 100 money makers in American sports. For pretty much all of them, both in team and individual sports, the endorsement deals were cumulatively worth far more than their actual earnings from playing their sport. Tiger Woods is the most extreme example, earning about $6 million on the PGA Tour last year but raking in $80 million in endorsements.

If Crosby goes to Europe, he would be throwing away millions in endorsement deals. These first two deals are peanuts, much like Gretzky's endorsements in the early days. There is millions more to be made for the young man almost immediately in endorsements if he stays in North America, even more if he gets drafted by a Canadian club.

Crosby's not going anywhere unless his agent is a total fool, which he isn't.
just hold them off till the cba comes down

Old
07-06-2005, 11:52 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguyone
Why is it that every attempt by a player to make more money gets slammed by the same group of people on these boards?

And yet he's villified for exploring his options. He's greeted with "good riddance." Or "don't let the door hit you on the way out."
Those comments aren't "villifying" someone. All they're saying is they couldn't care less if he plays in Europe. If he's happy playing against inferior competition because it pays him better, then go for it. No player is worth worrying about, no player is larger than the game, it makes no difference if he's here or not.

Or are we all supposed to go "Please stay Sidney!!! PLEASE!! PLEASE!! I can't survive without your divine presence to enlighten me!!"

In fact, I hope he goes, because I'm really getting tired of seeing his mug and hearing his name all the time.

Old
07-07-2005, 12:15 AM
eaton28

if he goes there i dont want him to come back and play for my team, if he accepts this and goes and plays there he is nothing more then a piece of ****, he wants money, that is not why you play the game.

Last edited by Gee Wally: 07-07-2005 at 08:19 AM. Reason: offensive language
Old
07-07-2005, 01:47 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
Those comments aren't "villifying" someone. All they're saying is they couldn't care less if he plays in Europe. If he's happy playing against inferior competition because it pays him better, then go for it. No player is worth worrying about, no player is larger than the game, it makes no difference if he's here or not.

Or are we all supposed to go "Please stay Sidney!!! PLEASE!! PLEASE!! I can't survive without your divine presence to enlighten me!!"

In fact, I hope he goes, because I'm really getting tired of seeing his mug and hearing his name all the time.
I can respect that opinion, and I agree to an extent. It's posts like this:

Quote:
if he goes there i dont want him to come back and play for my team, if he accepts this and goes and plays there he is nothing more then a piece of ****, he wants money, that is not why you play the game.

P.S all you that disagree can lick my hairy noodle
that are getting REALLY tiresome.

Old
07-07-2005, 08:16 AM
eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Bucky
I say let him play in Switzerland if he wants. The kid is going to make a fortune unless he pulls an Alexander Daigle anyway, so what if he has to wait a couple years to hit the real home run? The best league in the world has to set a reasonable rookie cap and if he wants to play in that league, he will have to accept that reality. In his case it might be a bit unfair, but hey, who among us hasn't had to play with worse cards than that??
Biggest Poker bluff of all time in hockey negotiations. Lugano gets some free publicit while Brisson continues to pump the hype on his client Sydney Crosby. Daigle is a good name to bring up. Crosby has not won me over to the same extent many are projecting. On the world stage he scored 2 goals in the WJC's and in the Memorial Cup he was very average and invisible in the final. 5'10" max with limited 1 on 1 moves and really good but not exceptional speed makes for a potential Daigle type pick possible.

If Crosby wants to play in the NHL one day he will have to accept the terms of the new CBA. 850G a year for 4 years. Add 10% bonus and endorsements in he will be ok, me thinks.

Old
07-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye
On the world stage he scored 2 goals in the WJC's

Actually, he had six goals, the second-most in the tournament, as a 17 year old.

Old
07-07-2005, 08:54 AM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake
The days of not holding players accountable for the negotiations of their agents are over. I hold any player just as liable for any actions or words his agent utters.

Brisson is just trying to interfere with the CBA. For that I have some contempt.
For the actions of his agent? He's JUST LISTENING TO THE OFFER, for chrissakes.

The "anti-player no matter what the situation or facts are" stance of the majority of this board is getting both laughable and tiring.

Old
07-07-2005, 08:58 AM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
Actually, he had six goals, the second-most in the tournament, as a 17 year old.
Whatever, why let facts get in the way of a good ol' fashioned bashfest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye
Daigle is a good name to bring up. Crosby has not won me over to the same extent many are projecting. On the world stage he scored 2 goals in the WJC's and in the Memorial Cup he was very average and invisible in the final. 5'10" max with limited 1 on 1 moves and really good but not exceptional speed makes for a potential Daigle type pick possible.
Height, Limited 1-on-1 moves, and good but not exceptional speed is all you get from his game? I HAVE to ask how many times you've watched the kid play.

Old
07-07-2005, 09:15 AM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter
That would set a horrible, horrible precedent . . . . . . what happens next year when Kessel doesn’t want to go to Washington, Pittsburgh, or Phoenix.
mmmm hello !!!

Ever heard of Eric Lindros and the Quebec Nordiques ?

Old
07-07-2005, 09:25 AM
SENSible1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal
For the actions of his agent? He's JUST LISTENING TO THE OFFER, for chrissakes.
Brisson isn't "listening to the offer", he's fabricating it or greatly exagerating the terms. Even then I don't blame him, he's just doing his job.

I do get a good laugh out of anyone taking this seriously though.

Old
07-07-2005, 09:37 AM
eye

Quote:
Whatever, why let facts get in the way of a good ol' fashioned bashfest.

Height, Limited 1-on-1 moves, and good but not exceptional speed is all you get from his game? I HAVE to ask how many times you've watched the kid play.
What I meant to say was 2 goals of significance with the others being meaningless tap ins in lobsided games. He is not the full package. He doesn't have amazing speed, his moves are predictable, he doesn't beat D 1 on 1 very often he gets knocked on his keaster quite a few times per game and hasn't stepped up in the 2 biggest games of the year. He was basically invisible in the Memorial Cup final playing with 4 solid linemates and was invisible and overshadowed by Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Corey Perry, Patrice Bergeron and others on the final 2 games of the WJC's. I think he is a great if not superstar type Junior player but let's keep the hype realistic and to a minimal please for the kids sake.

Old
07-07-2005, 09:44 AM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
Brisson isn't "listening to the offer", he's fabricating it or greatly exagerating the terms. Even then I don't blame him, he's just doing his job.

I do get a good laugh out of anyone taking this seriously though.
If its a fact that he's fabricating it or exaggerating the terms, then I'm definitely missing something. However, you've nailed it. He's just doing his job.

Old
07-07-2005, 09:45 AM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye
What I meant to say was 2 goals of significance with the others being meaningless tap ins in lobsided games. He is not the full package. He doesn't have amazing speed, his moves are predictable, he doesn't beat D 1 on 1 very often he gets knocked on his keaster quite a few times per game and hasn't stepped up in the 2 biggest games of the year. He was basically invisible in the Memorial Cup final playing with 4 solid linemates and was invisible and overshadowed by Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Corey Perry, Patrice Bergeron and others on the final 2 games of the WJC's. I think he is a great if not superstar type Junior player but let's keep the hype realistic and to a minimal please for the kids sake.
Again I ask, how often have you seen him play?

Old
07-07-2005, 10:09 AM
eye

Quote:
Again I ask, how often have you seen him play?
I saw him play in every game of significance in the past 2 years. kenabrnrmal my record for being accurate has been pretty darn good on projecting players the last few years. I see Crosby as being no better than a Brad Richards type player. For the sake of the NHL and the team that drafts him I hope I am underestimating this kid.

Old
07-07-2005, 10:09 AM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye
OMG. He was invisible in the Memorial Cup? So invisible he led the tourney in scoring. He had a tough final game where he went up against the best team in the country after playing and leading his team to the final less than 24 hours earlier.

He was overshadowed by Carter, Richards, Perry, Bergeron? Well I certainly hope they outshined him a little bit given THEY ARE 2 YEARS OLDER THAN HIM AND HAVE PRO EXPERIENCE (minus Perry)! Though despite being outshined as a 17 year old in a 19 year old dominated tournament he still manages to finish 7th in tourney scoring and 4th on Canada.

As for his not beating D 1-on-1 the only possible thing I can say is you obviously haven't actually watched much of his play. He has trememdous leg strength and balance and deceptive speed that he can beat D-men on the rush, he can feather through beautiful passes to beat D-men and he has an imaginaitve array of moves that are hardly predictable. He doesn't get knocked down much unless he is simply mugged or tackled. Normal plays do not knock him down. He is perhaps one of the best corner players in junior from everything I've seen. He always seems to come out with the puck.

Lets put it into perspective: Crosby in his draft year racked up 97 more points than Carter did in his draft year, 90 more points than Perry, 81 more points than Richards, and 95 more points compared to Bergeron. His prospect value is much higher than any of those guys value was in the draft year. His value is much higher than any prospects in the past number of years. His hype is very much valid. It may not amount to anything in the end but the hype is very much valid...just as Carters and Richards is.

Quote:
I see Crosby as being no better than a Brad Richards type player. For the sake of the NHL and the team that drafts him I hope I am underestimating this kid.
A whole post slamming him for not being as good a prospect as those 2 years older than him and a follow up post that says the most you see for him is being a mere top 10 scorer and Conn Smythe winner.

Last edited by tantalum: 07-07-2005 at 10:15 AM.
Old
07-07-2005, 10:19 AM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH
mmmm hello !!!

Ever heard of Eric Lindros and the Quebec Nordiques ?
Yes and that never, ever should have been allowed to happen. Lindros should have reported to his team or he could have sat on the sidelines for the rest of his life.

Old
07-07-2005, 10:28 AM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Thanks for demonstrating you concern for the game.

Old
07-07-2005, 10:33 AM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye

If Crosby wants to play in the NHL one day he will have to accept the terms of the new CBA. 850G a year for 4 years. Add 10% bonus and endorsements in he will be ok, me thinks.

Well in the old CBA, you were no longer a rookie at 24 or 25 years old. So once he's 24 or 25, he's not bound by rookie contracts -- if that doesn't change.

I'm not saying he should go to Switzerland. But he'd be nuts not to see what he can fetch.

Old
07-07-2005, 10:37 AM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye
I saw him play in every game of significance in the past 2 years. kenabrnrmal my record for being accurate has been pretty darn good on projecting players the last few years. I see Crosby as being no better than a Brad Richards type player. For the sake of the NHL and the team that drafts him I hope I am underestimating this kid.
Thats quite a claim, anything to backup your supposed projection accuracies? And what do you consider to be a "game of significance"?

Based on your two previous posts concerning Crosby, I'm rather glad you're just a fan of the Coyotes and not the Director of Scouting. You might end up being right about Crosby, but the claims you make to support your position seem very weak to me, and I'd suggest at this point that it'd be nothing but blind luck. I could be wrong, though.

Old
07-07-2005, 10:40 AM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
The evil side of me agrees with you ---- the evil side of me wants to see this kid fail just to laugh at all those that got their knickers in a twist over him.

But that's just my evil side.

Old
07-07-2005, 10:49 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter
The evil side of me agrees with you ---- the evil side of me wants to see this kid fail just to laugh at all those that got their knickers in a twist over him.

But that's just my evil side.

The only thing that will prevent him from succeeding is injuries. He's the real deal and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.

Closed Thread