HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Crosby Negotiating with Swiss Club

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2005, 11:36 AM
eye

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
The only thing that will prevent him from succeeding is injuries. He's the real deal and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.
I guess the word succeed is open to interpretation. I would suggest that my comparison to a Brad Richards type is no slap in the face and is much more realistic than what most of your are predicting for this kid. I just don't see it.

Old
07-07-2005, 11:38 AM
eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal
Thats quite a claim, anything to backup your supposed projection accuracies? And what do you consider to be a "game of significance"?

Based on your two previous posts concerning Crosby, I'm rather glad you're just a fan of the Coyotes and not the Director of Scouting. You might end up being right about Crosby, but the claims you make to support your position seem very weak to me, and I'd suggest at this point that it'd be nothing but blind luck. I could be wrong, though.
lol, I could have done a much better job than Barnett, Draper and Gretzky as their Director of Scouting. I wouldn't have signed guys just because they were former clients or were 6'4" or taller. Having said that Barnett has done an admirable job leading up to the work stoppage in putting together a good blueline and a couple of good forward lines. Now if he could just roll the dice a few more times and find a goalie we should be in good shape post CBA.

Old
07-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye
I guess the word succeed is open to interpretation. I would suggest that my comparison to a Brad Richards type is no slap in the face and is much more realistic than what most of your are predicting for this kid. I just don't see it.
I agree completely. If Crosby turns out to be only as good as Richards, I certainly won't consider him a failure. But I do think he's capable of being much greater.

Old
07-07-2005, 12:21 PM
AM

One thing comes to mind....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguyone
Why is it that every attempt by a player to make more money gets slammed by the same group of people on these boards?

So Crosby wants to make some cash? He's exploring his options. Covering his bases.
I mean, as we speak, we've got the half the freakin' board arguing about whether their team should have a 3 percent chance of drafting him, or a 5 percent chance of drafting him.
Evidently, the draft has been a contentious issue among the owners, too. All of whom want the chance to win the sweepstakes and build their marketing campaigns around the kid for the next 10 years.

And yet he's villified for exploring his options. He's greeted with "good riddance." Or "Cro$by." Or "don't let the door hit you on the way out."
we just lost a year of hockey because of players maximizing their earning potential to the detrement of the league.

Thats probably why.

Old
07-07-2005, 03:46 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM
we just lost a year of hockey because of players maximizing their earning potential to the detrement of the league.

Thats probably why.
That's a faily one-sided view of things, isn't it?
I mean, seriously.

Don't you think BOTH SIDES caused this thing? WInning the CBA doesn't make it the otherside's fault that the lockout happened.

Old
07-07-2005, 04:15 PM
AM

what can I say....

the truth hurts.

BTW, I'm not the one that said anything about winning and losing, that would be a PA point of view.

When two partners depend on each other, its incombent on both partys to find a win-win solution for the benefit of the relationship and in the end, their own benefit.

This is something the NHLPA lost sight of for 10 years. All that talk of they are the game and that maybe they'd just cut the owners out if they didnt get what they wanted and..... insert egocentric BG rant here..... well you reap what you sow.

This power play by Crosbys agent deserves the ridicule of every true hockey fan out there... specifically because of the last year.

And I notice, thats what hes gotten.

Old
07-07-2005, 11:05 PM
GSC2k2*

From the toronto Star:

Quote:
Lugano sports director Jorge Eberle said the team has had discussions with Crosby, but maintains they were initiated through Crosby's agent and no firm offer has been made.
You may also want to check out Damian Cox's take on it. He points out the history that Brisson has of rather hamfistedly and amateurishly trying to use the media to get what he wants for his client.

Old
07-07-2005, 11:23 PM
Macman

Lugano confirms pitch for Crosby:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Jun...121488-cp.html

Old
07-07-2005, 11:28 PM
GSC2k2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
By no means did they confirm $10 million. No way. Lebrun confirms what was in the Star article I quoted above.

Old
07-08-2005, 12:09 AM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Quote:
Don't you think BOTH SIDES caused this thing? WInning the CBA doesn't make it the otherside's fault that the lockout happened.
The owners winning the CBA doesn't make it the NHLPA's fault, no.

The NHLPA pretending that they didn't believe the numbers and refusing to look at them when challenged to do so, acting as if the negotiations were nothing more than a poker match, not understanding the economics of the game or of the people who they were being opposed by, being misinformed and misled by their own leadership, having a leadership which did not appear to have its own rank and file's interests at the top of its priorities, holding onto a "no-cap" position that was patently absurd in light of other leagues and the state of the NHL, and thinking that union solidarity, rah-rah cheerleading, PR moves, and sticking together was more important than actually making a deal is what makes it the NHLPA's fault.

A few owners spending money that the NHL's revenues didn't warrant caused the financial situation of the league to become unstable and compromised the competitive integrity of the league. That, by itself, doesn't necessarily lead to lockout, just to the next CBA needing to fix the problem. Lockout came because instead of trying to fix it, the NHLPA partook in the above. At no time did the NHL side of things partake in behavior that obstructed any agreement, other than sticking to what they had established they needed for the league to survive and prosper, with a great deal of evidence supporting their position. At any time, had the NHLPA stopped, fixed, or ended those issues I just outlined, there would have been a deal and last season could have been saved.

They declined to do so. The lockout is therefore, for the most part, the NHLPA's fault, and they are the ones paying the most for their mistake and greed as it should be (other than those who lost their jobs or a great deal of their pay due to the players' greed).

As the most militant pro-PA shill left on the boards, however, I doubt you'll accept the truth presented here now any more than you did in the past.

Old
07-08-2005, 05:03 AM
PecaFan

Quote:
Thanks for demonstrating you concern for the game.
I'm plenty concerned for the game, thank you very much. What the hell does that have to do with the most overhyped player in the last 50 years?

There are hundreds of great players in this league, numerous ones who've yet to play a single game, and the league will be fine with them.

If Crosby dies in his sleep tonight, is the future of the NHL impacted? Hardly.

Old
07-08-2005, 07:25 AM
SENSible1*

Cox article

Quote:
If this is an attempt to influence the NHL in the final days of its bargaining with the NHL players union, an attempt to somehow loosen up the incoming entry level system to allow Crosby to earn a lot more money than he otherwise might, it's an awfully lame, ham-handed attempt. So either Crosby is a burgeoning mercenary who will work for whatever team in whatever league will pay him the most or he and his representatives are totally delusional in terms of the influence they believe they already wield.

The NHL has just spent more than 10 months pounding out a unanimous decision over the players' union in which the biggest stars of the sport, from Peter Forsberg to Jarome Iginla to Martin Brodeur, will absorb, at the very least, 24 per cent pay chops and each and every team will live under a salary cap.

Does Crosby, or his agent Pat Brisson, really believe the NHL will now quake in its boots over the threat that the 17-year-old is going to pack his bags and play in Switzerland? Don't think so. That's yesterday's thinking.

Old
07-08-2005, 08:35 AM
Macman

I notice your selected quote begins: "if this is an attempt to influence ..." What if it's not? What are the odds Cox isn't out to lunch here like he usually is? He sees this as an either/or situation and nothing else. Either Crosby is trying to influence the negotiations, according to him, or he's a mercenary willing to play for whomever offers him the most. I can think of another scenario. How about a highly talented by still slightly undersized 17-year-old maybe feeling he's not quite physically ready for the NHL? The physical abuse he took in the CHL certainly has me wondering. A year in Europe at a decent and maybe even higher and likely tax-free salary sure as hell wouldn't hurt his development and would likely help, especially if he gets to play in another world junior championship, this time at home.

I'm amazed by the attitude of those who think Crosby is a greedy, selfish punk if he doesn't say "how high?" the first time the NHL tells him to jump. Many Europeans don't, why should he?

Old
07-08-2005, 09:23 AM
SENSible1*

Crosby's agent contacts Lugano, then makes public the "negotiations" and leaks a ridiculously high contract figure.

If you want to believe this is anything but more smoke from Brisson and IMG knock yourself out. I prefer to deal in reality.

Old
07-08-2005, 09:47 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
Crosby's agent contacts Lugano, then makes public the "negotiations" and leaks a ridiculously high contract figure.

If you want to believe this is anything but more smoke from Brisson and IMG knock yourself out. I prefer to deal in reality.
The reality is neither of us knows what's going on, even though you pretend with dead certainty like you do.

Old
07-08-2005, 11:07 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader Zim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy
Can he sign as an FA in 2008?
I would think If unsigned, at some point he renters the draft.
Nope. At least not if the new CBA is similar to the last expired one. If he signs with the Swiss team, he would be treated as a "defected player", just like any other unsigned Euros. The drafting team will retain his rights indefinitely - he will be an RFA with that team untill age 31/30/28 or whatever the final age in the new CBA is, and when and if he comes back to NA, he will still be subject to the same ELS limits unless he waits until he is 25 yo. So unless he wants to throw away 7 NHL seasons, 4 under ELS and 3 as an RFA with arbitration rights, he WILL be subject to the ELS at some point.

Last edited by kdb209: 07-08-2005 at 11:17 PM.
Closed Thread