HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Matt Niskanen

Old
09-12-2013, 11:47 AM
LetangInTheSO

vCash: 500
Matt Niskanen

Nisky has shown a lot of promise in six NHL seasons, but circumstances seem to make him the odd man out in Pittsburgh's D corps. He is a good skater, makes a good first pass, and has shown offensive flair when given the freedom to join the rush. He's quite average in his own zone - he's usually solid enough positionally but can be exposed by creative offensive players. He's a low end second pairing guy or a solid 3rd pairing guy, IMO.

Given the Pens' cap situation, they would likely accept practically anything for him (see: late pick). The Pens' biggest hole in the lineup are on 3rd/4th line wing, but they could only trade for a roster player if he came at less than ~$1M/yr. If this isn't realistic, we'll take a late pick or an average prospect...

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

To Car:

Niskanen

To Pit
3rd
Zach Dalpe

Sound about right?

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 12:04 PM
LetangInTheSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Mike Murphy View Post
To Car:

Niskanen

To Pit
3rd
Zach Dalpe

Sound about right?
Sounds about right to me.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Vujtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
Given the Pens' cap situation, they would likely accept practically anything for him (see: late pick). The Pens' biggest hole in the lineup are on 3rd/4th line wing, but they could only trade for a roster player if he came at less than ~$1M/yr. If this isn't realistic, we'll take a late pick or an average prospect...
I don't think Shero shares that point of view. Niskanen still holds value.

Vujtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Vujtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Mike Murphy View Post
To Car:

Niskanen

To Pit
3rd
Zach Dalpe

Sound about right?
That's decent value though I'd like to see the pick being 2nd rounder. I like Dalpe though but not sure he'd beat out anyone for a roster spot here and I think he's waiver eligible now?

Old
09-12-2013, 12:18 PM
LetangInTheSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vujtek View Post
I don't think Shero shares that point of view. Niskanen still holds value.
Niskanen may hold value to another team in a vacuum, but if circumstances dictate that the Pens literally must move him before the season starts to be cap compliant (which I believe to be the case), then the Pens lose quite a bit of leverage in any theoretical negotiation for him.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Vujtek

Quote:
Niskanen may hold value to another team in a vacuum, but if circumstances dictate that the Pens literally must move him before the season starts to be cap compliant (which I believe to be the case), then the Pens lose quite a bit of leverage in any theoretical negotiation for him.
They can get under the cap without any trades if they're willing to go into the season with less than 23 players on the roster.

Niskanen is useful D-man and NHL GM's respect each others. While the fans here may think they can exploit others tight situation (like Detroit currently with their excess of forwards or Pens being over the cap), GM's actually have to deal with each other in future cases as well and if they're getting good player they can give decent value back instead of exploiting the situation to the maximum and screwing over his counterpart.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:34 PM
LetangInTheSO

Quote:
They can get under the cap without any trades if they're willing to go into the season with less than 23 players on the roster.

Niskanen is useful D-man and NHL GM's respect each others. While the fans here may think they can exploit others tight situation (like Detroit currently with their excess of forwards or Pens being over the cap), GM's actually have to deal with each other in future cases as well and if they're getting good player they can give decent value back instead of exploiting the situation to the maximum and screwing over his counterpart.
You're right that there is a human element to player movement and GM relations, but I don't think offering a 3rd/prospect for Niskanen would be some sort of affront to Shero's honor. He can accept or reject such an offer with no hard feelings in either direction, IMO.

With regards to whether offloading Niskanen for such a paltry return is a wise decision, one question is how high Niskanen's value is in the best of times. Out of curiosity, what do you think that is?

Old
09-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Vujtek

Quote:
You're right that there is a human element to player movement and GM relations, but I don't think offering a 3rd/prospect for Niskanen would be some sort of affront to Shero's honor. He can accept or reject such an offer with no hard feelings in either direction, IMO.
Sure and like I said, that wouldn't be too bad of an offer in Pens' current situation. It was more towards your initial post where you said Pens would take whatever late pick offered.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:40 PM
Vujtek

Quote:
With regards to whether offloading Niskanen for such a paltry return is a wise decision, one question is how high Niskanen's value is in the best of times. Out of curiosity, what do you think that is?
2nd + good prospect is how I'd value him. I don't think he would get a 1st unless it's a trade deadline deal, there isn't much available D-men and it's a weak draft. But he's more valuable than Kennedy and he got us a 2nd rounder.

In current situation just a 2nd would be good value IMO.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:42 PM
LetangInTheSO

Quote:
2nd + good prospect is how I'd value him. I don't think he would get a 1st unless it's a trade deadline deal, there isn't much available D-men and it's a weak draft. But he's more valuable than Kennedy and he got us a 2nd rounder.

In current situation just a 2nd would be good value IMO.
We're pretty much on the same page then. And you're right that I might have undervalued Nisky/overrated the severity of our cap situation in the OP.

So yeah, a 2nd or a 3rd + prospect is what I would expect, hence why I wasn't dissatisfied with the offer posted by Zombie Mike Murphy.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Vokouna Maattata
Save us, Beau!

You guys fail to realize something, the Pens don't need to move Noskanen to get under the cap. They can easily send down Despres and keep Niskanen. According to Boterill (or however you spell it), that's enough to get under the cap. Shero isn't going to just dump Nisky.

Vokouna Maattata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Vujtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmError29 View Post
You guys fail to realize something, the Pens don't need to move Noskanen to get under the cap. They can easily send down Despres and keep Niskanen. According to Boterill (or however you spell it), that's enough to get under the cap. Shero isn't going to just dump Nisky.
I mentioned the exact same thing earlier so "we guys" aren't failing to realize something.

Also when reading Rossi's articles you need to be careful. Nowhere has Botterill explicitly said that moving Despres alone to farm would solve all cap issues. It would likely require sending someone like Jeffrey to AHL also and going with 21 men roster. Or sending Glass down also and replacing him with a cheaper guy in which case you could have 22 men on the roster.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:53 PM
LetangInTheSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmError29 View Post
Admittedly, my interpretation of our cap situation is based on a pretty cursory understanding of the #s. After the (latest) lockout, I somehow lost a lot of interest in the economics of the game. The only thing I know with any certainty is that Niskanen isn't/shouldn't be factored into the Pens' long-term plans on D. Sooner or later, we're going to have a glut of (cheaper) guys knocking on the door for roster spots. Maybe my understanding of our cap situation is wrong and that day isn't today...