HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

My quick recap of the Young Stars Tourney

Old
09-11-2013, 07:38 PM
PlateauKids

vCash: 500
My quick recap of the Young Stars Tourney

I managed to get down to Penticton for the first half of the Young Stars Tourney, and I have a couple reports that I threw together from what I saw that I thought I’d share. I was there primarily as a Flames fan, so you’ll see a definite tilt in their direction, but I tried too keep an eye out for some of the other teams prospects.

Baertschi LW – Clearly has great skill, as his passing and offensive awareness would attest to, but he seemed to struggle to find opportunities to show it. While there didn’t seem to be any quit or back down in his game, he was definitely on the losing side of some the physical battles with bigger players. That being said, he has great speed and played a decent 2-way game, and in open ice he was as dangerous as anyone in that tournament.

Knight C – Really excited to see the new pick up, and while he didn’t wow me, I wasn’t disappointed. Strong 2-way game and was a constant threat on the back check. Great faceoff guy. Showed good puck patience in the offensive end, but seemed to shy away from crashing the net. Not sure how he would produce offense wise at the next level, but has strong bottom 6 potential.

Gordon RW – Seemed to spend most of his time on the perimeter and physical unengaged, despite his size. Skating seems to be lacking, a very poor first couple of steps.

Elson LW – Work, work, work. Always hustling, made the skilled guys on his line play better. Played a great 2-way game, was physical, and sacrificed the body. Not much offense to speak of, but he’s another guy that seems destined to find a niche somewhere as 3/4th liner.

Monahan C – While I may be a minority, I was very impressed by Monahan’s play. For a rookie 18 year old, he showed impressive calm and poise both with and without the puck. He never seemed to be very far away from the action on either end of the rink. Though he lacked the tangible results on the score sheet, he still created a lot of offense with good awareness and passing skills. The only knock I really saw was a slight deficiency in his skating. Not that it was bad, just missing that explosive first step. Also, he looked ripped in the pre game work outs, and has apparently stacked on 10 pounds during the summer.

Granlund C – The best offensive player statistically. A wizard with the puck and quick, he seemed to slow the game down when he crossed their blueline with the puck with great stick handling, passing, and vision. He is however small, and was a physical and defensive non factor. Looks to be a classic Top 6 or bust kinda guy.

Reinhart C – I thought in many ways he might have been the team’s best center. Plays a very pro-style game. He had strong skating along with a great defensive game, and was buzzing around and crashing the opponents net. Strong on the draw as well. Not the biggest guy, but wasn’t afraid to engage physically. Really impressed by his play.

Ferland LW – Big and broad shouldered, was physical along the boards and on the fore check, even scrapping once. The aggression seemed to grow as the tourney went on, and it created a lot more room for him and his line mates. Surprised by the big mans soft hands as well, as he displayed a surprisingly adept offensive game. His skating seems to be holding him back, especially in the way it effects his physical game. If he can get a little quicker, and get engaged at puck drop, he’ll be a real solid 2/3 line power forward.

Kanzig D – An absolute monster…in stature. Maybe it’s a personal bias, but I don’t understand how if you’re 6’7 and 245 pounds, you don’t try to punish every single opposite jersey every time you step on the ice. Its not that he wouldn’t engage, and he did have a fight, but his physical game was disappointingly underwhelming. This might have something to do with his skating, which was fine in terms of straight away speed, but was lack severely in acceleration and agility. Seemed panicked with the puck offensively, but seemed to be able to move it out of his own end alright enough. Would definitely like to see him ratchet up the mean streak a couple notches, as it’s the only way he’ll find himself a job.

Ramage D – My biggest surprise from the tourney was Ramage. He plays bigger than his size, with a lot of snarl from the backend. Mobile in all directions, he combined good positioning with his physicality to be one of the stronger defenders on the team. Also showed strong offensive play, making good, quick decisions in moving the puck in the offensive end, and making strong break out passes.

Sieloff D – Dint notice him much, which in regards to his game, is probably a good thing. Moves much better than I expected, and definitely has the physicality and bad attitude (in a good way) that he was advertised as having. Offense, unsurprisingly, was fairly non existent, which is fine as long as he continues to develop as a physical, shut down type D man.

Scheifele C – Guy oozes skill. Combines his strong puck possession game with elite playmaking abilities, the puck at times would seem glued to his stick. Beautiful stride, seemed to have an extra gear on almost all of the other players name a few. My only two criticisms of him would’ve been his lack of willingness to engage physically despite his good size, and a tendency to reach and poke at the puck on a fly by rather than stop in a defensive position and work the puck. Luckily, I imagine these are pretty easy problems to fix. 1C material for sure.

Lowry C – Absolutely loved how this guy plays the game of hockey. Great size, physical shift in shift out, had a lot of sand paper to his game. Had good skating for his size, and showed good offensive instincts, both on the rush and crashing the net. I see Lowry as being the next Primeau, but whether that means Keith or Wayne remains to be seen, depending on how his offensive game translates to the next level.

Trouba – I sure am jealous Jets fans. Dynamic skating ability from the back end, as he would rush end to end in what appeared to be ease. Always dangerous offensively, his few defensive miscues were often bailed out by his speed and size. The guy is just mean, aggressive before and after the whistle, with the capability of laying enormous open ice hits. Seems like the complete package Dman wise, he just needs to iron out some defensive zone and coverage issues.

Shinkaruk LW – After watching him and Poirier go head to head on the ice, I wonder if Uncle Feaster is pulling his strained collar as much as I was. Looks like a water bug how he darts around the ice, coupled with lighting quick hands and a good shot he wasn’t shy about using. Definitely got lost in the physical aspects, and could get smothered by bigger, more physical players.

PlateauKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 07:43 PM
PlateauKids

Lineups (for the games I saw)

CAL
Baertschi-Knight-Gordon
Elson-Monahan-Poirier
Ferland-Granlund-Hanowski
Taranto-Reinhart-Jooris

Sieloff-Culkin
Ramage-Kulak
Kanzig-Wotherspoon

Ortio/Brossoit

EDM
Kessy-Miller Roy
Fyten-Khaira-Chase
Baddock-Schaber-Blicke
Houck-Ewanyk-Abney

Nurse-Kelfbom
Musil-Gernat
Betker-Marincin

Bunz

Old
09-11-2013, 07:49 PM
PlateauKids

VAN
Shinkaruk-Horvat-Pacan
Hope-Mallet-Jensen
Blomstrand-Gaunce-Hall
Mycan-Cassels-Myron

Cederholm-Tommernes
Subban-Andersson
Johnston-Guimond

Eriksson

SJS
Neito-Hertl-Hayes
Schwartz-Tierney-Crane
Padulo-Boudreau-Cave
Derko-Miller-Dundas

Abeltshauser-Jensen
Brouillard-Lafrate
Bigos-Demelo

Anderson

WPG
Sutter-Scheifele-Kosmachuk
Theoret-Petan-Lipon
Blomqvist-Lowry-Verrier
Telegin-Olsen-Brassard

Trouba-Morrissey
Kitchon-Stanton
Kostalek-Sol

Olkinuora

Old
09-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Dempsey

Good writeup

Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 08:51 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 511
Thanks for the write ups. I'm pretty much in agreement on the 3 Jets prospects you listed.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 02:12 AM
caley

Saw two games on Sunday (EDM-VAN; CGY-SJS).

Some guys who caught my eye:
-JUJHAR KHAIRA: Man, he is just 15-20 pounds away from developing into a pretty solid power forward. He muscled much bigger and older players off the puck repeatedly and drove to the net with purpose. He was easily the best of a weak crop of Edmonton forwards.

-MATHIEU CORBEIL: Kept the Canucks in it for the 1st period. He's HUGE and covers a lot of net. He does seem to get out of position/lost on point shots, though.

-MARKUS GRANLUND: Really looked fast out there, outraced players for the puck, used his speed to generate breaks. He upstaged Monahan, Baertschi and Poirier in this one.

-KYLE BIGOS: Man, he looked good. Just monstrous (6'4", 235 lbs and he looked even bigger than that) and liked to play physical, he even took on Keegan Kanzig in a fight (Came up on the losing end and seemed to hurt his shoulder, but came back and still played tough). But, size and physicality aside, what impressed me most was his work on the point of the power-play where he almost single-handedly kept the puck in Calgary's end from the blueline. With his wingspan, he seemed to be able to get to pucks he had no business reaching and then would make a nice pass or launch a heavy shot at the net. Really impressive performance, I'm not surprised he got a main camp invite out of it.

09-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Alaskanice

Bigos was in fact invited to camp.

http://sharks.nhl.com/v2/ext/PDF/20130911-tc-roster.pdf

Alaskanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlateauKids View Post
I managed to get down to Penticton for the first half of the Young Stars Tourney, and I have a couple reports that I threw together from what I saw that I thought I’d share. I was there primarily as a Flames fan, so you’ll see a definite tilt in their direction, but I tried too keep an eye out for some of the other teams prospects.
Thanks for the write-up, but you fell into the typical trap of non-Jet fans by over-hyping Trouba.

Seriously, I think the Flames have some good prospects. I really like Monahan and look forward to seeing how he develops. Scheifele had question marks about his skating and first step a couple of years ago too, and I think that Monahan will iron that out. When he does add that extra step and size, he'll be a real difference-maker, I think.

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 11:54 AM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskanice View Post
I know, I said "I'm NOT surprised he was invited..."

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 12:06 PM
arsmaster

I've been intrigued by Bigos since I first saw him in the Fred Page finals 5 years ago. I think he'll get NHL games at some point in his career.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 07:33 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Saw two games on Sunday (EDM-VAN; CGY-SJS).

Some guys who caught my eye:
-JUJHAR KHAIRA: Man, he is just 15-20 pounds away from developing into a pretty solid power forward. He muscled much bigger and older players off the puck repeatedly and drove to the net with purpose. He was easily the best of a weak crop of Edmonton forwards.

-MATHIEU CORBEIL: Kept the Canucks in it for the 1st period. He's HUGE and covers a lot of net. He does seem to get out of position/lost on point shots, though.

-MARKUS GRANLUND: Really looked fast out there, outraced players for the puck, used his speed to generate breaks. He upstaged Monahan, Baertschi and Poirier in this one.

-KYLE BIGOS: Man, he looked good. Just monstrous (6'4", 235 lbs and he looked even bigger than that) and liked to play physical, he even took on Keegan Kanzig in a fight (Came up on the losing end and seemed to hurt his shoulder, but came back and still played tough). But, size and physicality aside, what impressed me most was his work on the point of the power-play where he almost single-handedly kept the puck in Calgary's end from the blueline. With his wingspan, he seemed to be able to get to pucks he had no business reaching and then would make a nice pass or launch a heavy shot at the net. Really impressive performance, I'm not surprised he got a main camp invite out of it.
Bigos is a very intriguing prospect. Just a mammoth out there. Sucks the Oilers didn't sign him but no spot for him for the forseeable future

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 08:36 PM
Noori

vCash: 860
The only time I noticed Bigos was when he was getting his face smashed in by an 18 year old kid six years his junior.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 11:22 PM
keslerburrows

Bigos was a legend for the Vernon Vipers (my home town team) in the BCHL. Everyone knew who Bigos was in Vernon, it was awesome. He was like a Weber/Chara hybrid on steroids back in the day Great to see him doing well.

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 11:28 PM
Signature
Capitano Giordano

vCash: 132
I wonder who was the ATO player that stood out the most on any team?

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 01:05 AM
maximus tacitus
Mathmew Purrrr Oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
I wonder who was the ATO player that stood out the most on any team?
Not sure about any team, but Theoret and Blomqvist stood out for the Jets.

Blomqvist has followed it up with a couple of excellent days in training camp.

maximus tacitus is offline   Reply With Quote