HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lazerus: Bowman says Toews and Kane will be here forever

Old
09-07-2013, 12:10 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Lazerus: Bowman says Toews and Kane will be here forever

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/22402...e-forever.html

Quote:
Signing Corey Crawford and Niklas Hjalmarsson to lucrative contract extensions was a no-brainer, according to Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman. As for the looming contract negotiations with Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane, it was pretty much no comment, even as the first question in the conference call Wednesday with reporters — with Hjalmarsson on the phone from Sweden — was to Bowman about the Hawks’ dynamic duo.

That triggered a brief — if unrealistic — wave of panic among Hawks fans, who wondered if the $10.1 million a season given to Crawford and Hjalmarsson might affect the team’s ability to keep its two biggest stars when their contracts expire after the 2014-15 season.

Bowman took to the team website Friday to emphatically put that issue to bed. He said that money won’t be an issue and that Toews and Kane aren’t going anywhere.

Ever.

“Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane will be here forever,” Bowman told the team website. “I can’t predict what the salary cap will be in the near future, but I can tell you that Jonathan and Patrick will be on this team. Those two players put the Blackhawks back on the map, they’re up in a couple years, and whatever the numbers are, we’ll figure out the details. The notion that the money we’re spending now will affect our ability to keep Jonathan and Kane … it’s a non-issue. They will be here no matter what.”

(also, can we get the beat writer prefixes updated? Rozner hasn't been on the beat in ages)

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 11:18 AM
stingo

vCash: 500
Good to hear.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator

I'm shocked.

Trance Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 12:24 PM
BronYrAur

Hmm....wonder what Toews & Kane have to say about this....

....unless they already have "an agreement."

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Sevanston

Sounds like Bowman is more saying that if Toews or Kane do leave, money won't be the reason why.

Which is exactly the way it should be.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 02:23 PM
ChemSteve

Seriously, they have a mighty good gig here. They're both huge Chicago celebrities (although I guess that could be a bad thing if they value their privacy), can make buckets of money beyond their contracts from endorsements, and headline a Cup winning team that hasn't lost hardly any vital pieces and has promising youngsters coming up the ranks. What's not to love? How can it get any better, unless you define better as sheer $ amount (which theoretically some team could throw at one or both of them)?

ChemSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 03:39 PM
hawksfan50

Take with a grain of salt..sure,Bowman expects T and K to be reasonable on their next contract..ie. ONLY raise to around $9mil a yr each for the max 8 yrs..but on the contract after that will need to weigh the pros and cons of the old vets at age 34 with declining production on the horizon..so FOREVER...especially for Kane might be a bit premature unlrss a help of pay decline is offered by them on shorter contracts of 4-5 yrs only..if their greed gets the better of them then because spme team is stupid enough to give 6 to 8 yrs then and or too much money as in another raise..then the Hawks GM

at that time tem yrs from now would be CRAZY to overpau just to keep both legends on the fold knowing he will get severely diminishing returns on that investment. SO..here for 10 yrs..fine..but after that the head not the heart must dictate the course..

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 03:52 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemSteve View Post
Seriously, they have a mighty good gig here. They're both huge Chicago celebrities (although I guess that could be a bad thing if they value their privacy), can make buckets of money beyond their contracts from endorsements, and headline a Cup winning team that hasn't lost hardly any vital pieces and has promising youngsters coming up the ranks. What's not to love? How can it get any better, unless you define better as sheer $ amount (which theoretically some team could throw at one or both of them)?
One of the things in the new CBA that is nice in the extra year the home team can offer it's free agents (although I would have preferred an even bigger advantage). The Hawks will be able to offer 8 year deals whereas all other teams could sign them to a max of 7 years. If the Hawks offer 8 years at $9M, that guarantees T & K $72M. Another team would have to offer over $10.25M (for 7 years) just to match the guaranteed $72M.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
Take with a grain of salt..sure,Bowman expects T and K to be reasonable on their next contract..ie. ONLY raise to around $9mil a yr each for the max 8 yrs..but on the contract after that will need to weigh the pros and cons of the old vets at age 34 with declining production on the horizon..so FOREVER...especially for Kane might be a bit premature unlrss a help of pay decline is offered by them on shorter contracts of 4-5 yrs only..if their greed gets the better of them then because spme team is stupid enough to give 6 to 8 yrs then and or too much money as in another raise..then the Hawks GM

at that time tem yrs from now would be CRAZY to overpau just to keep both legends on the fold knowing he will get severely diminishing returns on that investment. SO..here for 10 yrs..fine..but after that the head not the heart must dictate the course..
No reason to be concerned about 19 & 88 as UFA in 2025 at this time.

Ace Rothstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 01:39 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Why would Bowman - who has never done this before - come out and say this in pubilc when they have 2 more years left on their contracts? You can be sure that he already tested the water with their agent and they have kind of an agreement already with some tweaks here and there

Bubba88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 01:49 AM
Hawksfan2828

They'll certainly be Hawks until they're aging vets that are reduced to 3rd line minutes (whenever that will be).

The situation here in Chicago is very lucrative for both. Cups, endorsements, fame, nice homes, good money, potential dynasty....

You think these guys would throw all that away for a million a year more?

Hell, these guys can make more in endorsements here in Chicago to make up the difference than on any team that could realistically afford them.

I see both signing 9-year extensions @ 9 per or 81....

Kane and Toews are like Jordan and Pippen...

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 01:57 AM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Why would Bowman - who has never done this before - come out and say this in pubilc when they have 2 more years left on their contracts? You can be sure that he already tested the water with their agent and they have kind of an agreement already with some tweaks here and there
Maybe both just want to stay here..... Obviously Bowman isn't going to lowball them... I'm sure Bowman expects some sort of a "deal" on a 9 year contract tho...

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 11:13 AM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

I can see Toews being here his entire career and will likely lock up a cushy spot with the organization after he retires.

But I see Kane probably getting moved after his better days are behind him. I wouldn't be shocked to see him play for Buffalo in his twilight years since he has the play style that will afford him a long career. Although he'll likely end up with a job in the Hawks' after retirement too.

MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Sleight Of Hand
No More Coldplay

I remember using the word 'forever' in my first marriage.......

Sleight Of Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 11:27 AM
99 steps
to the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Because it sets an expectation in the fans/media that they'll take less money to make this happen.

99 steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 11:28 AM
99 steps
to the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
They'll certainly be Hawks until they're aging vets that are reduced to 3rd line minutes (whenever that will be).

The situation here in Chicago is very lucrative for both. Cups, endorsements, fame, nice homes, good money, potential dynasty....

You think these guys would throw all that away for a million a year more?

Hell, these guys can make more in endorsements here in Chicago to make up the difference than on any team that could realistically afford them.

I see both signing 9-year extensions @ 9 per or 81....

Kane and Toews are like Jordan and Pippen...
Yep.

99 steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 11:41 AM
slappipappi

I think the max years on a deal is 8, 7 in UFA.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 12:30 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
I think the max years on a deal is 8, 7 in UFA.
8 years is the max a team can re-sign their own free agent. 7 years is the max for all other teams.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Sleight Of Hand
No More Coldplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 steps View Post
Yep.

He probably regrets it every day too........

I don't think they will take much of a discount though. People right after the Cup win were saying 7-7.5 and I was in the 8-8.5 range. It could hit 9. There will be no home town discount.

Sleight Of Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Sarava

At this point I would guess they will both want around 9 mil. If the cap makes a huge rise next summer, then that's where it might go to 9.5 or 10.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 04:07 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus 1m
#Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews: "It'd be tough to find any reason to want to play somewhere else."

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 01:28 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

sounds good... pretty sure they have had talks already

Bubba88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 04:11 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjacks View Post
He probably regrets it every day too........

I don't think they will take much of a discount though. People right after the Cup win were saying 7-7.5 and I was in the 8-8.5 range. It could hit 9. There will be no home town discount.
I think it's the Angels that are doing all the regretting with that signing.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 07:27 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Yep.

The Angels offered him 50 million more than St. Loo.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 01:25 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yep.

Chicago =/= St. Louis

If I was stuck living in St. Louis I'd get the hell out too.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote