HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chimera

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2003, 06:14 AM
Yanner39

vCash: 500
Chimera

What about him as possible replacement for Comrie?

He's got wheels, plays Oiler hockey and could be the big centre we are looking for...He did score 14 goals last year with limited ice time and 3rd line linemates...I realize that he's struggle with consistent play but that could be due to a number of things...There was a strech (Smyth injury I think) during last season where he was the best Oiler on the team...

I don't know where MacT has been playing him this preseason, but I'd like to see him get a shot...

Any thoughts...

Old
09-28-2003, 06:23 AM
Lowetide

MacT probably would have moved him to center right off the bat if they had plans to look at him, ala Ryan Smyth. imo Chimera is the one guy who stands to gain tremendously from a prolonged Comrie lockout/no trade.

If he gets a job on the 2line with Dvorak and York, he could certainly pop a few.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:08 AM
Hairball

I was really impressed wit him last year actually. I would like to see him get a better opportunity. On the second line with york and Dvo would be a great line I think.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:51 AM
coyote

Having watched him play last year I think if Mct showed some confidence in him and gave him a good shot the team would benefit by it. He has the size, can skate, plays physical, plays with heart and can score. The thing he needs IMO is confidence and the person who can give him this is Mct by playing him. Mct's philosophy seems to be let them play they will make mistakes that is how they learn. This philosophy seems to apply to everyone else except Chimera, because when he makes a mistake he is put in the press box or the end of the bench. This dose not build confidence, it builds fear.

Old
09-28-2003, 08:43 AM
zamboni

I believe MacT himself said that Chimera wouldn't be put at centre at any time...

Old
09-28-2003, 08:49 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball
I was really impressed wit him last year actually. I would like to see him get a better opportunity. On the second line with york and Dvo would be a great line I think.
It sure wasn't in camp - they were the worst all NHL line. and were easily worse then some half AHL lines.

Old
09-28-2003, 09:02 AM
coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
It sure wasn't in camp - they were the worst all NHL line. and were easily worse then some half AHL lines.
I'm sure it had something to do with both York and Dvo coming off major surgery in the off season. Why would any organization but them on the same line?

Old
09-28-2003, 09:26 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Until York's hand heals completely and he can take draws again, he won't be playing center anytime soon. I see Horc on the second line until that happens or we get a center back from the comrie trade.

Old
09-28-2003, 11:29 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
Having watched him play last year I think if Mct showed some confidence in him and gave him a good shot the team would benefit by it. He has the size, can skate, plays physical, plays with heart and can score. The thing he needs IMO is confidence and the person who can give him this is Mct by playing him. Mct's philosophy seems to be let them play they will make mistakes that is how they learn. This philosophy seems to apply to everyone else except Chimera, because when he makes a mistake he is put in the press box or the end of the bench. This dose not build confidence, it builds fear.
As you say, Jason has the size, can skate, plays physical, plays with heart and can score. Unfortunately he only does it in spurts. Last year in a game he was given a big chance by playing on the 2nd line. The result, after 2 periods he was back on the 3rd or 4th. He was treated better than Hemsky was for most of the year. When Hemsky screwed up he was back in the press box. Hemsky eventually overcame and that is what Chimera has to do.
This has to Chimera's break out year. The NHL is full of 3rd and 4th line players. Chimera has the potential to be more than that, but if he is unable to realize that potential then it's time to find someone else and give them the chance. Tony S. comes to mind.

Old
09-28-2003, 11:35 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
Until York's hand heals completely and he can take draws again, he won't be playing center anytime soon. I see Horc on the second line until that happens or we get a center back from the comrie trade.
York played centre last night and won almost all of his draws and played a decent game.

Old
09-28-2003, 11:41 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
York played centre last night and won almost all of his draws and played a decent game.

really? I wasn't at the game but heard he played wing. but I will defer to you. I trust you are correct.

Old
09-28-2003, 11:47 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
really? I wasn't at the game but heard he played wing. but I will defer to you. I trust you are correct.
you know, he played with Horcoff and Chimera and Horcoff DID spend more time in the faceoff circle. But, York did take half a dozen faceoffs and won 5 of them.

Also, yesterday was the first day I didn't see York walking around with a bag of ice on his wrist. That doesn't mean he didn't, but I didn't see it. There were a lot of guys with ice bags on their bodies though.

Old
09-29-2003, 02:19 PM
coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar
As you say, Jason has the size, can skate, plays physical, plays with heart and can score. Unfortunately he only does it in spurts. Last year in a game he was given a big chance by playing on the 2nd line. The result, after 2 periods he was back on the 3rd or 4th. He was treated better than Hemsky was for most of the year. When Hemsky screwed up he was back in the press box. Hemsky eventually overcame and that is what Chimera has to do.
This has to Chimera's break out year. The NHL is full of 3rd and 4th line players. Chimera has the potential to be more than that, but if he is unable to realize that potential then it's time to find someone else and give them the chance. Tony S. comes to mind.
Just think of what you said. Chimera was given a chance on the second line for 2 periods then he was back on the 3 & 4 line. Boy! thats really giving a guy a chance.

Old
09-29-2003, 03:25 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 730
no offense but chimera does not have first line potential. possibly second line however i do not think he has the scoring touch nor the ability to pass well to make it as a center.

Closed Thread