HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Comrie for Arnason?

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2003, 05:18 AM
Lowetide

vCash: 500
Comrie for Arnason?

Today's Journal Camp Clipboard:

Oilers holdout Mike Comrie's agent, Rich Winter, won't talk about the specifics of his client's contract hassle with the Edmonton Oilers.

"Kevin and I have a confidentiality agreement. It's like book 6 of the Harry Potter series", says Winter. Comrie isn't asking for $3 million US a season, as people suggest. It's likely both parties will settle for $2 million a season.

If Lowe decides to trade Comrie, one possible destination is Chicago for center Tyler Arnason. He was in the running for ROY last season. Another player could be tossed in the deal or they could make the deal biggger by adding a second Oilers player.

Well, if they've waited all this time and then give him $2 million here's hoping it's a 3 year deal.

The Arnason idea is a good one. Hawks would probably need to throw in a little something, imo.

Old
09-28-2003, 05:29 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide

Oilers holdout Mike Comrie's agent, Rich Winter, won't talk about the specifics of his client's contract hassle with the Edmonton Oilers.

"Kevin and I have a confidentiality agreement. It's like book 6 of the Harry Potter series", says Winter. Comrie isn't asking for $3 million US a season, as people suggest. It's likely both parties will settle for $2 million a season.

If Lowe decides to trade Comrie, one possible destination is Chicago for center Tyler Arnason. He was in the running for ROY last season. Another player could be tossed in the deal or they could make the deal biggger by adding a second Oilers player.

Well, if they've waited all this time and then give him $2 million here's hoping it's a 3 year deal.

The Arnason idea is a good one. Hawks would probably need to throw in a little something, imo.
THe Oilers interest in Daze, was that during the Sather era or the Lowe era...Because I was thinking that a deal that would involved Daze and Comrie could be worked out...I have to admit that I don't know what Daze's situation in Chicago is...I know he was on the outs for a while...

Old
09-28-2003, 06:11 AM
M00se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
THe Oilers interest in Daze, was that during the Sather era or the Lowe era...Because I was thinking that a deal that would involved Daze and Comrie could be worked out...I have to admit that I don't know what Daze's situation in Chicago is...I know he was on the outs for a while...

I think Daze is a winger and he seems to get injured alot, we already have him, his name is Ryan Smyth. Arnason was invisible for the second half of the season, maybe if the deal was Calder, Arnason and Bell for Comrie and something but the Blackhawks wouldn't do that. I just dont think that I'd be interested in anyone from Chicago unless his name was Tuomo Ruutu.

Old
09-28-2003, 06:19 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00se
I think Daze is a winger and he seems to get injured alot, we already have him, his name is Ryan Smyth. Arnason was invisible for the second half of the season, maybe if the deal was Calder, Arnason and Bell for Comrie and something but the Blackhawks wouldn't do that. I just dont think that I'd be interested in anyone from Chicago unless his name was Tuomo Ruutu.
We don't have a hope in hell of getting Ruutu out of Chicago, I don't thing they would take Hemsky or Smyth for him. They are very high on him.

Old
09-28-2003, 06:21 AM
speeds

geez, that's the kind of thing an oilers fan doesn't like to see as the first Comrie rumor/speculation regarding trades i the EDM papers.

Has MNatheson been leaked that rumor, or is he simply speculating that CHI might want to make room for Ruutu?

I really doubt CHI would move Ruutu, but man would he be the answer EDM's looking for at C.

Old
09-28-2003, 06:22 AM
M00se

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
We don't have a hope in hell of getting Ruutu out of Chicago, I don't thing they would take Hemsky or Smyth for him. They are very high on him.

Oh I realize that, they expect him to be Gaborik with an edge. I just meant that Chicago doesn't really have anyone that I would be excited about acquiring except for Ruutu.

Old
09-28-2003, 06:24 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:

The thing I found interesting from this post is that "likely both parties will settle for 2 million". Yeah they have a confidentiality agreement but this is the first time someone has reported has mentioned a dollar amount.

I think Winter said to Matheson the dollar amount will probably be close to 2, but don't cite me as a source. (the article was compiled by Ireland with notes from Matheson)

It leads me to believe a deal may be getting closer. Or maybe I am reading too much into this one.

Old
09-28-2003, 06:24 AM
nikeisevil

Send a message via MSN to nikeisevil
Well,

Arnason seems somewhat reasonable but I do agree we would need more for him.

Old
09-28-2003, 06:27 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00se
Oh I realize that, they expect him to be Gaborik with an edge. I just meant that Chicago doesn't really have anyone that I would be excited about acquiring except for Ruutu.
Yeah I know what you are saying and I tend to agree, I would want more for Comrie than that.

Old
09-28-2003, 06:30 AM
speeds

I don't know if Babchuk is available, but EDM was rumored to be interested in picking him at the 2002 draft, maybe he would be a part of a potential deal with CHI?

Who knows

Old
09-28-2003, 06:43 AM
Seachd

Babchuk would be interesting, and to be honest, I'd rather have him than Arnason. I just have a feeling Arnason's not going to be too terribly good. He's already a couple years older than Comrie, isn't he?

Either way, Babuck, Arnason, both... It's not really what I would describe as a full return, but maybe we can't expect that anyway.

Old
09-28-2003, 06:50 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
Babchuk would be interesting, and to be honest, I'd rather have him than Arnason. I just have a feeling Arnason's not going to be too terribly good. He's already a couple years older than Comrie, isn't he?

Either way, Babuck, Arnason, both... It's not really what I would describe as a full return, but maybe we can't expect that anyway.
I would expect it, and if Lowe can't get it I'd expect Comrie to sit for awhile.

Old
09-28-2003, 06:54 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
I would expect it, and if Lowe can't get it I'd expect Comrie to sit for awhile.
I agree, and I've said it before myself. But Lowe rarely gets full value back in trades anyway (York excepted), and I don't see how this would be much different. I hope I'm very wrong.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:48 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
I agree, and I've said it before myself. But Lowe rarely gets full value back in trades anyway (York excepted), and I don't see how this would be much different. I hope I'm very wrong.
Today's NHL for ya...Anytime a teams trades, if for either monetary reasons or a situation like Comrie...And with the media coverage the way it is, it's hard to hold your cards close to your vest...I bet if the Caps trade Jagr today, they won't get full value...That said, I don't think lowe did that bad in any of trades he's made...

Old
09-28-2003, 08:25 AM
Mr Sakich

i think lowe likes size and arnasson is only 5'11".. Bell may be a better fit. Babchuk and seabrook could be part of the equation becasue the oil are looking for defense.

How about comrie + rita for bell and babchuk or seabrook?

Old
09-28-2003, 08:36 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I dunno, i am not that impressed with Arnason. The only young'un i would want from the Hawks is Ruuto and they will not offer him.

I must be honest, That Christov offer (if it was real) sounds really good now. I would FAR prefer him over Arnason.

Old
09-28-2003, 08:46 AM
Lowetide

A couple of things. First, Arnason is a solid two way player (this is according to reports, I've seen him twice) and the coach loves two way players (Moreau, Reasoner, Horcoff, Rem Murray, Mike Grier, Ethan Moreau and Pisani) so it's at least something worth considering.

The second thing we have to consider is that although Comrie HAS scored 30 goals in the NHL, and that has very high value, that isn't his established level of play.

speeds point is an excellent one, Comrie may end up sitting for a long time because the offers may not be close. A similar situation might be Samsanov in Boston; he's a guy who clearly has offensive talent, but has some other issues too.

I doubt Lowe is fielding offers for the Legwands and Stefans and that level of player at this early point in time.

Old
09-28-2003, 11:33 AM
dem

Stefans level... What level is that? First overall bust level?

Old
09-28-2003, 03:59 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
Arnason is far from a "two-way" guy, his defense i mproved vastly last year, but it is still far below a guy like horcoff or reasoner and even stoll puts him to shame defensivel from what i've seen. Arnason used to be considered a lazy out of shape floater until he started trying to imporve on his game last season.

He's not good enoug to get for comrie... I'd sell my soul for Ruutu though...that kid is gonna become spectacular very quickly...Babchuk looks good as well...

Old
09-29-2003, 08:30 PM
oilswell

Quote:
speeds point is an excellent one, Comrie may end up sitting for a long time because the offers may not be close.
I agree. I keep repeating a few things in my mind as I read these HF Comrie Saga 2003 boards (previously called the Edmonton Oilers board):
  1. A Comrie holdout was completely predictable and is still well within the parameters of normal contract negotiations. The players who are in similar circumstances (Havlat, Gaborik) are still holding out ONLY IF the management has not yet caved in. Ask yourself: does this mean that Havlat and Gaborik will be traded also? Yes, there are troubling rumours swirling around Comrie particularly, but until they are substantiated, it is worth carefully considering this point. Carefully. Repeatedly.
  2. Trade rumblings are predictable too. Lowe, facing a problematic RFA, would be a certifiable idiot if he didn't kick a few tires to see what kind of return he would get. Correct that: he would be a terrible GM who should be fired if he didn't see if someone was willing to overpay. Also, its worthwhile heating up the phonelines early in case Comrie's camp can't be broken by threat of making him sit. Since people will hear about this, it is completely predictable that several sources would be available that could confirm that Lowe has called some GMs to see if they would be interested in Comrie.

Now the people here with inside sources might see the real goods, but from what we on the outside have been given, it is entirely possible and even predictable that the events we're seeing should come to pass. At this point, assuming that Comrie is gone is, IMO, presumptuous.

Closed Thread