HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Bizarre twist of draft pick trades

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2005, 11:52 PM
lecherous

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Bizarre twist of draft pick trades

I was just looking on tsn at some profiles, and I noticed this :

Buffalo Sabres traded Doug Bodger to the San Jose Sharks for Vaclav Varada, Martin Spahnel, 1st round selection (previously acquired from the Philadelphia Flyers by the San Jose Sharks and later traded by the Buffalo Sabres to the Phoenix Coyotes - Daniel Briere) in 1996 and 4th round selection (Mike Martone) in 1996.

It's just kind of funny how we acquired the pick that took Briere and then traded it away to PHX. Does anyone know the specifics of this deal? I've looked around and I can't find much.

Old
07-07-2005, 05:09 AM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherous
I was just looking on tsn at some profiles, and I noticed this :

Buffalo Sabres traded Doug Bodger to the San Jose Sharks for Vaclav Varada, Martin Spahnel, 1st round selection (previously acquired from the Philadelphia Flyers by the San Jose Sharks and later traded by the Buffalo Sabres to the Phoenix Coyotes - Daniel Briere) in 1996 and 4th round selection (Mike Martone) in 1996.

It's just kind of funny how we acquired the pick that took Briere and then traded it away to PHX. Does anyone know the specifics of this deal? I've looked around and I can't find much.
I believe the Sabres took that 1st round pick and sent it to Winnipeg at the time, not Phoenix, and ended up with Michal Grosek and Darryl Shannon.

I think that is what happened.

Old
07-07-2005, 07:26 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNintendoChalmrs
I believe the Sabres took that 1st round pick and sent it to Winnipeg at the time, not Phoenix, and ended up with Michal Grosek and Darryl Shannon.

I think that is what happened.

That was Craig Muni and the Flyers first for Grosek and Shannon. It happened on the day of the '96 prospects game, which Briere was outstanding in. As was Dumont. I recall wanting to wring Muckler's neck for that one while wandering the halls of MLG.