HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buyouts, etc.

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2005, 09:12 AM
DaveBrown21

vCash: 500
Buyouts, etc.

Can anyone in the Philly area tell me if the reports on Leclair's and Amonte's buyouts are:

a) strong rumors
b) speculation
c) absolute certainty

Also, is it a foregone conclusuion Brashear will be dealt or traded (or bought out)?

thanks guys.

Old
07-07-2005, 09:23 AM
FlyersFan10*

Tim Pannacio (sp?) has mentioned on several occasions that the Flyers will probably buy out Leclair and Amonte. As well, Clarke has said on numerous occasions that they were going to talk to John and Tony after the CBA is signed, sealed and delivered. I think it's more than just strong rumours and speculation.

On the subject of buyouts, I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but if we're going to buyout Leclair and Amonte, then I think it's time we seriously take a look at buying out Roenick as well. I think we'll be in good shape to sign free agents and such and if Brashear is added to the list, you can count the following players off the payroll: Leclair, Amonte, Ragnarsson, Zhamnov, Malakhov, Desjardins, Burke, Brashear, Kapanen (I'm thinking he's going to retire), and Roenick. That's a huge chunk of change gone from the payroll. As well, that's 10 roster spots that have immediately opened up. You've gotta figure six or seven will go to Phantoms players (Sharp, Seidenberg, Pitkanen, Umberger, Niittymaki, Fedoruk), Richards and Carter, and that essentially leaves two spots open for free agents.

It could make for interesting, that's for sure.

Old
07-07-2005, 09:24 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBrown21
Can anyone in the Philly area tell me if the reports on Leclair's and Amonte's buyouts are:

a) strong rumors
b) speculation
c) absolute certainty

Also, is it a foregone conclusuion Brashear will be dealt or traded (or bought out)?

thanks guys.

I'd vote C on Amonte and LeClair.

Brashear is a definite, but I'd say strong rumor.

Old
07-07-2005, 09:35 AM
DaveBrown21

Kapanen may retire? Because of the hit he took in the playoffs (where he staggered to the bench)?

Old
07-07-2005, 09:39 AM
John Flyers Fan

I don't think that Kapanen will retire ... and I'm not against buying out JR if it frees up money to sign a more important player (Neidermayer).

Old
07-07-2005, 09:43 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
Tim Pannacio (sp?) has mentioned on several occasions that the Flyers will probably buy out Leclair and Amonte. As well, Clarke has said on numerous occasions that they were going to talk to John and Tony after the CBA is signed, sealed and delivered. I think it's more than just strong rumours and speculation.

On the subject of buyouts, I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but if we're going to buyout Leclair and Amonte, then I think it's time we seriously take a look at buying out Roenick as well. I think we'll be in good shape to sign free agents and such and if Brashear is added to the list, you can count the following players off the payroll: Leclair, Amonte, Ragnarsson, Zhamnov, Malakhov, Desjardins, Burke, Brashear, Kapanen (I'm thinking he's going to retire), and Roenick. That's a huge chunk of change gone from the payroll. As well, that's 10 roster spots that have immediately opened up. You've gotta figure six or seven will go to Phantoms players (Sharp, Seidenberg, Pitkanen, Umberger, Niittymaki, Fedoruk), Richards and Carter, and that essentially leaves two spots open for free agents.

It could make for interesting, that's for sure.
Brashear is completely up in the air... he may be in jail when the season starts for all we know. In any event, his salary is completely out of scale with what he brings to the table...

I think Desjardins will be back.

Kapanen signed a two-year deal with the intention of playing post-CBA... however, he banged up his knee overseas right? may play into his decision...

If we were to shed that much payroll Clarke would definitely go out and dabble in the UFA-market with some weight, we would have a lot more flexibility than anyone ever imagined. I want Umberger to be transfered to wing on the Phantoms next season and groomed to be playing that role with the big club... he obviously doesn't fit at Center in our short-term (and to a certain extent long-term) plans, so get him some work at a position where he could make a serious contribution (1st/2nd line and PP) in the near future, as well as helping to solve one of our depth problems.

Old
07-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I don't think that Kapanen will retire ... and I'm not against buying out JR if it frees up money to sign a more important player (Neidermayer).
looks to me like we may have the room w/out any buyouts that haven't been discussed.

what would be interesting is buying out Roenick to replace with someone like Satan/Demitra.

the one thing i will say about Roenick is that for all of his craziness, he's a GREAT example to any young player about guts and determination. guy was puking on the bench in Game 6 before helping to set up Gagne's goal last year...

Old
07-07-2005, 09:54 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:

a) strong rumors
b) speculation
c) absolute certainty

thanks guys.
We HAVE to buyout LeClair and Amonte, we have no choice. If we dont, we have about 2.4 mil in salary cap space to sign Gagne, Johnsson, Esche, Carter, Richards, Sharp, Seidenberg, and Radivojevic. If we buy JLC and TA out, we have room to sign all those players plus a little extra for a defenseman.

Brashear is up in the air. Makes sense to buy him out with Fedoruk already on the payroll for a third the money. I would say strong speculation.

One more player that might need to be bought out: Sean Burke. If the 04-05 contracts are honoured he has a player option on the season.

Old
07-07-2005, 10:11 AM
FlyersProspect2

Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
I'm not against buying out Roenick. He's a good player, but with the money we save on him we could get a defenseman and a winger most likely a younger one. Were definitly going to have a different team this season, definitly for the better.

Old
07-07-2005, 10:23 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Kapanen has already said he has decided against retiring

Old
07-07-2005, 10:42 AM
FlyersFan10*

With regards to Kapanen retiring, I know that he signed the two year deal and all, but he was strongly hinting about remaining in Finland because: A) his children love it there. As well, he has mentioned in the past that he wanted to bring his children home and have them raised in Finland. Can't blame the man for that; B) Not just one bad knee, but two bad knees. He's taken a pounding in the NHL and not being the biggest, he's had his knees operated on plus he's had a problem in which there was a blood clot in his brain or something similar like that. I'd say that he's been beat up over here and he mentioned in the past that he's been beaten up; C) Just the way he looked when he was talking about going overseas. His face lit up and you could tell he was genuinely excited to go back. I think his homeland plays a big factor.

I'm still sticking by it and I say that Kaps calls it a career over the summer. Wasn't a bad career either. However, with children who love it in Europe and a body that has taken way too much abuse in the NHL, all the signs point to staying overseas.

Old
07-07-2005, 11:35 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
I'm still sticking by it and I say that Kaps calls it a career over the summer. Wasn't a bad career either. However, with children who love it in Europe and a body that has taken way too much abuse in the NHL, all the signs point to staying overseas.
If that was the case I think you'd have heard something by now, like we did with Ragnarsson.

Old
07-07-2005, 11:39 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
I will say it again: Kapanen is not going home and he said he is not going back home when the NHL comes back (this right around the lockout began when he already signed a lockout-protected deal in Finland)

Old
07-07-2005, 12:10 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Kapanen may retire? Because of the hit he took in the playoffs (where he staggered to the bench)?

i dont htink he'll retire, he signed an extention before the lock-out

Old
07-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
I will say it again: Kapanen is not going home and he said he is not going back home when the NHL comes back (this right around the lockout began when he already signed a lockout-protected deal in Finland)

I too thought Kapanen decided to play one or two more season

Old
07-07-2005, 04:46 PM
i am dave

Does anyone recall that Handzus had gotten hurt in the World Cup last year? What was the deal with that? If I recall correctly, it would have put him on the sidelines for a while had there been a season.

Old
07-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitkanenPower
Does anyone recall that Handzus had gotten hurt in the World Cup last year? What was the deal with that? If I recall correctly, it would have put him on the sidelines for a while had there been a season.
i feel like there was an update that he was/going to be good to go.

Closed Thread