HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Scott Walker on TEAM 1040 Vancouver

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2005, 07:44 AM
Lorenzo1000

vCash: 500
I remember seeing Scott Walker on off the record a few months back. He acted like an a**. Just another Goodenow stooge.

Old
07-07-2005, 07:44 AM
flambers

I still do not believe it, when the deal is ratified I bet it passes with more than 75% in support.

If it actually was rejected that means the entire Exec Committee is fired. Who would lead them in the next round of talks, a goof like Walker....? Not to mention they could kiss another season good bye.

Old
07-07-2005, 08:09 AM
eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Sorry....but not in a million years can I see this, it will be at LEAST 80/20 for the CBA. Walker is just trying to stir up crap to get players who were 50/50 on it to vote against.

North American players will vote 100% unanimous in favor of the CBA while Euro players will be closer to 50-50. It will get passed but there will be some no votes.

If the LA Times report is accurate the players have recovered from February and done very well for themselves. 37 hard does not includes other player costs while the 42.5 did. Many other concessions and a true partnership in their future can only make this deal better for the players in the long run.

I think this is the best CBA in all of sports and whoever ran the PA recently along with Bettman and Daly are to be congratulated for finally getting it right. Time for baseball to follow.

Old
07-07-2005, 08:18 AM
barnburner

If the players fail to ratify this agreement, they will set an unbreakable record for human stupidity.
I cannot believe the majority of the players can be that crazy.
However, if they are - then let them suffer the fate they deserve.
I can do without the nhl more than they can.

Old
07-07-2005, 08:27 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Scott Walker can join Vincent Damphousse and David Tanabe collecting their 401K's

Old
07-07-2005, 08:46 AM
EricBowser

Scott Walker has obviously received the goon squad attack by a former teammate of his, Jim McKenzie.

And I'll say it again, if anyone threatens to leave the NHL for Europe, let them.

All 30 teams need to stand strong and if any agent or player threatens to leave, they need to say, we're the best and we have no interest in any player who is not committed to the NHL and winning the Stanley Cup.

Old
07-07-2005, 08:48 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by battle axe
He went on to say that he hasn't heard from the PA in weeks, even though he is Nashville's player rep, and that he found the whole situation to be very confusing.
Anyone else totally flabergasted by this comment? If I'm a team rep, I'm raising holy hell to find out what is going on so I can keep my teammates in the loop.

It's almost like the PA negotiators are keeping quiet because the deal is so bad, they are afraid to tell the rank and file. This is one of those times that keeping quiet is a REALLY bad move. They would be much better off telling them what is going on, and why they are going down the path they are.

Old
07-07-2005, 08:57 AM
X0ssbar

Iginla is one star who will be voting "yes":

""We put a lot of faith in them and, speaking personally, I'll vote 'yes,' " said the restricted free agent, who is confident he'll sign on as a Flame."

He goes on to say he is also sorry and that that fans and businesses basically got left out in the cold during this mess:

""I think everybody involved with this is sorry it took a year. All the people who this took jobs from, or had bars or restaurants ... it goes right down the line how it affected people in different cities. There's no question we're sorry. Hopefully we work together as a group and down the road learn from it and be better next time."

"The fans didn't really have any say in this. I think everybody recognizes that and, hopefully, this is a chance for us to make a couple changes -- to make the game more fan-friendly and entertaining so the fans can benefit and we can win some of them back.""

Iginla is one class act. The rest of the players should just shut their traps and let this guy represent them to the plublic.

Link

Old
07-07-2005, 09:00 AM
chiavsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf
Iginla is one star who will be voting "yes":

""We put a lot of faith in them and, speaking personally, I'll vote 'yes,' " said the restricted free agent, who is confident he'll sign on as a Flame."

He goes on to say he is also sorry and that that fans and businesses basically got left out in the cold during this mess:

""I think everybody involved with this is sorry it took a year. All the people who this took jobs from, or had bars or restaurants ... it goes right down the line how it affected people in different cities. There's no question we're sorry. Hopefully we work together as a group and down the road learn from it and be better next time."

"The fans didn't really have any say in this. I think everybody recognizes that and, hopefully, this is a chance for us to make a couple changes -- to make the game more fan-friendly and entertaining so the fans can benefit and we can win some of them back.""

Iginla is one class act. The rest of the players should just shut their traps and let this guy represent them to the plublic.

Link
George Larocque (spelling?) will come out and call him an idiot too I suspect

Old
07-07-2005, 09:00 AM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBowser
Scott Walker has obviously received the goon squad attack by a former teammate of his, Jim McKenzie.

And I'll say it again, if anyone threatens to leave the NHL for Europe, let them.
They be back in no time after watching AHL scrubs promoted to the NHL earning more money than many of them.

Old
07-07-2005, 09:51 AM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Hi there. Preds fan here. Huge Scott Walker fan here. I'll sure miss him when he goes over to Europe to get a job.

Old
07-07-2005, 09:52 AM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
You think i'm salty with the NHLPA already? Come back and see me after they vote no to the deal... . OOOOO bbooy. I would say bring on the replacements all day.

Old
07-07-2005, 10:01 AM
The Imp
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8

From what many Nhlers said, life in North America as a hockey player is much better.
I don't get it. You play more games, travel much, much, MUCH more in the NHL.

Old
07-07-2005, 10:13 AM
Bauer83

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiavsfan
George Larocque (spelling?) will come out and call him an idiot too I suspect
If you knew what George said, you would not make comments as uninformed as that. In the Edmonton Journal, he stated that Avery was an idiot for not sticking up to the union before. Whining after the fact does nothing but make the whole union look bad. His comments were, he disagreed with the union's approach, but as a union you must be strong. He said he knew the owners would win, but that was the position his union chose to take. He will be voting yes on the ratification of the new cba. He also said that the first priority for the Oilers will be to get back into the community, as they have done major harm to the fans.

Old
07-07-2005, 10:17 AM
DaveMatthew

I guess Scott Walker believes that a deal will get better if they waste another season!

But let's remember, Scott Walker was also one of the ones who came out the day before they accepted a cap, saying that they would never in their lifetime accept a cap on national TV.

So going by the track record, whatever Walker says, the opposite happens.

Old
07-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Because very few have cited this on this thread (and because it deserves to be repeated because Walker is talking a lot of b.s. from people on here):

Quote:
Originally Posted by battle axe
I listened to the entire interview, and Walker didn't say that he had a gut feeling that it would be a 60/40 vote against ratification, he said that he feared that it could be one of a few possible scenarios that could play out. He went on to say that he hasn't heard from the PA in weeks, even though he is Nashville's player rep, and that he found the whole situation to be very confusing. Nothing in the interview gave me the impression of greed on Walker's part...he was just speaking openly and frankly about the situation.

Old
07-07-2005, 10:27 AM
hubofhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
I see some of the NHLPA members think they're still playing poker.

At this point, it just comes across as rather pathetic.

Poker, exactly.
They played so long with house money, they thought it would never end. Now they've burnt the house to the ground -- as happens with most gamblers.
-hub

Old
07-07-2005, 10:27 AM
Gnashville
One and Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471
Because very few have cited this on this thread (and because it deserves to be repeated because Walker is talking a lot of b.s. from people on here):
Thanks Probably closer to what he actually said

Old
07-07-2005, 10:45 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoach
I guess Scott Walker believes that a deal will get better if they waste another season!

But let's remember, Scott Walker was also one of the ones who came out the day before they accepted a cap, saying that they would never in their lifetime accept a cap on national TV.

Speaking of never accepting a cap, where is our good friend Bryan McCabe? Every arena he goes to should play his interview when he hits the ice saying he'd never play in a league with a cap.

Old
07-07-2005, 10:53 AM
Seachd

vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471
I heard it too. And if he didn't sound greedy, he sounded extremely stupid.

Old
07-07-2005, 11:01 AM
HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Sorry....but not in a million years can I see this, it will be at LEAST 80/20 for the CBA. Walker is just trying to stir up crap to get players who were 50/50 on it to vote against.
I agree. Although I would probably say 70/30 in favour. No way these guys vote this down and cancel another season. Name one 3rd/4th liner/fringe player who will vote against this... And why would they? Their shelf life in the NHL is very short (in most cases) as it is.

Get in, get all you can before someone younger replaces you.... That is an unfortunate tenet of professional sports (and life, sometimes)

Old
07-07-2005, 11:08 AM
gobuds

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoach

AMEN- Walker is an idiot. Can't wait till Avery plays in my local arena- standing ovation for the man- as for walker- I will help him pay for his plane ticket to europe- a-hole!

Old
07-07-2005, 11:12 AM
iceman42

of course they are going to leave, the old overpaid guys are going to get bought out and replaced with younger cheaper alternatives. if they want to play hockey they are either going to have to lower their price and fight for a job in an extreemly tight market or go play oversees.

Old
07-07-2005, 12:10 PM
HeShootseyScores

All I know is I'm glad that none of my Predators sweaters read 'Walker' on the back.

Old
07-07-2005, 12:11 PM
pinnaclewm

If the NHLPA don't ratify.....Riot time in T.O., Goodenow just better not go back to the PA office here cause we all be waiting for his sorry behind.

Closed Thread