HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Training Camp/Preseason Discussion Thread Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2013, 11:26 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
a 4th line of Haley-Moore-Dorsett would drive other teams bat****. I'm in favor of giving Haley a shot, he definitely deserves it over Pyatt.
definitely deserves it over Pyatt? Why, because Haley throws his weight around and he fights? I don't favor one or the other, but Pyatt is the established NHLer and he has been able to at least put points on the board in the NHL. The Rangers issue these past three years has been not having depth on the bottom two lines. Depth that can chip in. If Haley beats out Pyatt then fine, but there is nothing definite here. No one deserves anything. I have yet to see Haley do anything other than show he has a ceiling of a 4th line player in this league. Pyatt, meanwhile is a 3rd-4th liner. Just because he can't skate as fluently as some others, if he chips in or adds something he will be here over Haley without batting an eye.

Powe has played well but I just don't see the fit for him. I'd rather have Asham. Asham has a better shot and is more effective with the physical game.

Asham-Moore-Dorsett should be the 4th line. Haley should be the extra.

Old
09-18-2013, 11:26 AM
h0ckeyman

Honestly, not going to lie...haven't been too thrilled with what Dorsett is doing out there. He's been kind of invisible dating back to last year. Let's hope hes just shaking the rust off after last years injury.

Old
09-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Did St. Croix get a game in?

Old
09-18-2013, 11:29 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
Honestly, not going to lie...haven't been too thrilled with what Dorsett is doing out there. He's been kind of invisible dating back to last year. Let's hope hes just shaking the rust off after last years injury.
I'd say it's definitely rust. He pushed himself to get back as soon as possible last season. I thought he wasn't that bad in the playoffs. He had some presence out there even though it wasn't his max. He adds the little things that Prust once added, such as going after Hartnell when he took a run at one of our players (I believe stralman, but not sure). Dorsett will be fine.

Old
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
He brings a very important aspect to a 4th line, he can skate the puck up the ice. Dan Paille has this role on Boston's 4th line and it is very underrated.

Dorsett is a good skater, but he isn't as good with the puck as Ferriero.

Does anyone remember what happened with him last year BTW? We picked him up, he really stood out and was suddenly benched and sent down for no apparent reason.

He only got 35 minutes 5v5, but boy did the Rangers dominate those 35 minutes.
Moore can skate fairly well and skates well with the puck. Add to it, his faceoff skills are respectable too. He give every shift his all and is a very cerebral player which helps his defensive game. IMO, a guy like that flanked by two energizing thumpers on his wing is the way to go. Dorsett is one of those kinds of guys. Maybe Powe is the other guy? I don't think Asham (sucky skater) or Pyatt (not intense enough) are good 3rd line guys. Brandon Prust would be the perfect kind of guy and I'd much rather have him on that line at 2.5m then Asham or Pyatt making combined 2.55m. I wouldn't be surprised if Bickel gets a look at the bottom line wing position.

Old
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
I actually agree. I thought he took some bad penalties not tough penalties in the playoffs.

09-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
definitely deserves it over Pyatt? Why, because Haley throws his weight around and he fights? I don't favor one or the other, but Pyatt is the established NHLer and he has been able to at least put points on the board in the NHL. The Rangers issue these past three years has been not having depth on the bottom two lines. Depth that can chip in. If Haley beats out Pyatt then fine, but there is nothing definite here. No one deserves anything. I have yet to see Haley do anything other than show he has a ceiling of a 4th line player in this league. Pyatt, meanwhile is a 3rd-4th liner. Just because he can't skate as fluently as some others, if he chips in or adds something he will be here over Haley without batting an eye.

Powe has played well but I just don't see the fit for him. I'd rather have Asham. Asham has a better shot and is more effective with the physical game.

Asham-Moore-Dorsett should be the 4th line. Haley should be the extra.
I'd rather Haley because he can keep up with the pace AV seems to want to play. He adds grit (which we still do need.), he takes some of the tough-guy pressure off Dorsett, he can skate, and he can EFFECTIVELY PK (something Pyatt doesn't really do, too slow to effectively pressure opposing players). But again most importantly, he can keep up with everyone else. Pyatt single-handedly dragged down Fast and Lindberg, so often he couldn't keep up with non-NHL players. You're right though that Haley has to earn his spot over Pyatt, I think he will though.

Old
09-18-2013, 11:30 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
He brings a very important aspect to a 4th line, he can skate the puck up the ice. Dan Paille has this role on Boston's 4th line and it is very underrated.

Dorsett is a good skater, but he isn't as good with the puck as Ferriero.

Does anyone remember what happened with him last year BTW? We picked him up, he really stood out and was suddenly benched and sent down for no apparent reason.

He only got 35 minutes 5v5, but boy did the Rangers dominate those 35 minutes.
Ferreiro was no great shakes in the AHL last year. He's even smaller than Dorsett and doesn't penalty kill or forecheck especially well or hit. Bottom line guys need to be diversified these days. Dorsett may take dumb penalties but he's capable of putting up some points, providing energy, getting under opponents skins, penalty killing and knows his way around his own defensive end. Not everything can be quantified by statistics. If Ferreiro did more stuff he might be more than just a border line NHL player.

Old
09-18-2013, 11:33 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Moore can skate fairly well and skates well with the puck. Add to it, his faceoff skills are respectable too. He give every shift his all and is a very cerebral player which helps his defensive game. IMO, a guy like that flanked by two energizing thumpers on his wing is the way to go. Dorsett is one of those kinds of guys. Maybe Powe is the other guy? I don't think Asham (sucky skater) or Pyatt (not intense enough) are good 3rd line guys. Brandon Prust would be the perfect kind of guy and I'd much rather have him on that line at 2.5m then Asham or Pyatt making combined 2.55m. I wouldn't be surprised if Bickel gets a look at the bottom line wing position.
Asham is not nearly as bad as your making his skating out to be. He can keep up enough. His physical play outweighs Powe and Pyatt. He is a better hockey player than Haley. Asham completes that 4th line best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
I'd rather Haley because he can keep up with the pace AV seems to want to play. He adds grit (which we still do need.), he takes some of the tough-guy pressure off Dorsett, he can skate, and he can EFFECTIVELY PK (something Pyatt doesn't really do, too slow to effectively pressure opposing players). But again most importantly, he can keep up with everyone else. Pyatt single-handedly dragged down Fast and Lindberg, so often he couldn't keep up with non-NHL players. You're right though that Haley has to earn his spot over Pyatt, I think he will though.
I am not saying it means he has a spot on this team, but Pyatt wore the "A" last night and he had previously played for AV in Vancouver. If many of you are writing off Pyatt this early then you might be in for a rude surprise.

Old
09-18-2013, 11:36 AM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

Quote:

I am not saying it means he has a spot on this team, but Pyatt wore the "A" last night and he had previously played for AV in Vancouver. If many of you are writing off Pyatt this early then you might be in for a rude surprise.
If Pyatt surprises me I'd certainly welcome it. Just not convinced, yet.

Old
09-18-2013, 11:36 AM
Crease

Hard to think Pyatt won't be on the final roster, given the fact that he wore an A last night.

Old
09-18-2013, 11:38 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Asham is not nearly as bad as your making his skating out to be. He can keep up enough. His physical play outweighs Powe and Pyatt. He is a better hockey player than Haley. Asham completes that 4th line best.

One thing I noted last night was Pyatt killing penalties something he hasn't done for at least the last two seasons. To me that's essential for him to do if he's going to stick with this team. He didn't score all that much last year. It all happened at the beginning or towards the end of the year--for about 30-35 games in the middle he provided no offense. That's going to have to change too. He's a player on the cusp IMO.

Old
09-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Asham is a bad skater? Since when?

He hasn't got a ton of speed, but he's pretty agile. If you want a reason to rag on him you could suggest he's not really strong on the puck as it actually holds some weight.

I'd rather him on the 4th line than Haley, with Moore and Dorsett.

Pyatt doesn't add a lot to the team, but he doesn't really hinder it in any way. He's not very mobile, and I think there are better options, but if he remains on the team I won't throw a fit.

Old
09-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Pyatt's goals per game in the past 5 seasons: 0.1618
Haley's goals per game in the past 5 seasons (AHL): 0.1714

Pyatt is a much better player than Haley.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Old
09-18-2013, 11:55 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

https://twitter.com/stevezipay/statu...74062502907904

Quote:
AV: Depending on cap, my preference to start season is eight D, 13 forwards, two G.
I've been screaming that 8 D is likely all summer.

Old
09-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Crease

Asham looked energized in his preseason debut. Looked good. The only question is if he can keep up that level all season. He's put a lot of miles on his body.

Old
09-18-2013, 12:01 PM
Ola

Babs- Agreed on Asham, but he is starting to look his age.

Old
09-18-2013, 12:03 PM
Crease

If they do eight defensemen, who will be the additional two? Has to be guys that don't need regular minutes or further development. Stralman is too good to be a healthy scratch. Bickel and Johnson make the most sense, with guys like Falk and McIlrath getting important minutes in Connecticut.

Old
09-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
He is definitely looking his age, I'd suggest keeping him as a 13th forward though.

We have enough players that Boyle could be moved to 4th line wing, a role that he would fill exceptionally well. Boyle-Moore-Dorsett is a 4th line that could give other teams fits.

I think it would be Falk and Johnson/Bickel. Possibly Allen if he plays like he did last night consistently, although he could get more time in HFD which they might prefer. I think Johnson looks lost. Syvret actually looked pretty darn good too, made some very nice passes.

Old
09-18-2013, 12:04 PM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Hard to think Pyatt won't be on the final roster, given the fact that he wore an A last night.
I agree he will probably be on the final roster, but wearing an A in a preseason game means nothing. He is a long time veteran player who the refs respect. Has nothing to do with his playing ability imo.

Old
09-18-2013, 12:11 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
If they do eight defensemen, who will be the additional two? Has to be guys that don't need regular minutes or further development. Stralman is too good to be a healthy scratch. Bickel and Johnson make the most sense, with guys like Falk and McIlrath getting important minutes in Connecticut.
Falk will be 25 in October and needs waivers to be demoted.

Old
09-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
See, you're more than just a comedian.

Old
09-18-2013, 12:20 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Haha I see what you did here.

Old
09-18-2013, 12:25 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
See, you're more than just a comedian.
I'm trying to diversify my image. Taking a run at Rangerboy's MVP award next year, still looking for a runningmate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Haha I see what you did here.
As this boards funniest poster as voted by the people in a majority decision, I approve this joke.

Old
09-18-2013, 12:39 PM
WhatThePuck
"Shoots Wide" !!!

If we're to assume Cally, Hags and maybe Stepan aren't available to start the season, Can someone give me their best guess as to what the lines will look like for game 1( I guess a lot depends on who makes the team), but I'm just looking for likely scenarios.

Closed Thread