HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Stepan Negotiations (9/19-Dreger: "Unlikely" Stepan signs before season opens)

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2013, 06:24 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Can you guys keep the buddy-buddy, inside joke, grab-assing to PMs please? It's OT spam and it's going to be treated as such beginning now.

It's just pain.
Old
09-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Krams
Banned User

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusty View Post
Brassard just exudes energy.
I am fairly certain that all living creatures exude energy.

This is starting to get ridiculous. What is Stepan waiting for at this point? I'm sure Sather and co. have made it clear that they have a hard limit, considering the salary cap concerns and that Stepan has absolutely no leverage. ~6 million for two years is more than fair market value--why would Sather bend? He must be getting some really bad advice.

Old
09-18-2013, 06:49 PM
haveandare

vCash: 500
Quote:
Brassard just exudes energy. With guys like Stepan or Richards or Nash, you can tell their game comes and goes depending on their mentality. Brassard doesn't think about that stuff and his source of energy is the love for the game and being the best that he can in a simple way. Like a old fashion watermill. So long as there's a constant flow of water, he'll put forth. His energy is exactly what this team needs so bad. AV is going to make Brassard a golden boy because of it.
Rightly so. Brass hasn't taken a game off since he became a Ranger. Guy brings it every night, no matter the situation, no matter the matchup, no matter his line-mates. Most guys that play with that attitude are grinders, but Brass is constantly making plays and generating scoring chances. It's looking like he really, really just needed to get off the jackets.

Old
09-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Lerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Rightly so. Brass hasn't taken a game off since he became a Ranger. Guy brings it every night, no matter the situation, no matter the matchup, no matter his line-mates. Most guys that play with that attitude are grinders, but Brass is constantly making plays and generating scoring chances. It's looking like he really, really just needed to get off the jackets.
Right. I was also speaking to the culture AV wants to bring into the locker room. Fun and exciting and happy and energized. Torts spoke to a mentality of a battle of attrition and AV doesn't see it that way.

Old
09-18-2013, 07:02 PM
Levitate

I don't really want to take a side in this but at this point it's hurting both sides. Stepan is going to be behind in terms of conditioning, preparing for the season, and adjusting to a new coach, and the Rangers are going to be without their arguably best center.

No one is winning at this point.

Old
09-18-2013, 07:06 PM
Krams
Banned User

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I don't really want to take a side in this but at this point it's hurting both sides. Stepan is going to be behind in terms of conditioning, preparing for the season, and adjusting to a new coach, and the Rangers are going to be without their arguably best center.

No one is winning at this point.
At this point, you can leave off 'arguably'. He's the Rangers' best center. It would suck to start the season sans Stepan, but looking at it from management's POV, there's no reason for them to bend. It's not like they're low-balling him and Stepan should be insulted. He's just getting greedy, now.

Old
09-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Levitate

We don't really know for sure what he's being offered. Reports from "insiders" may or may not be accurate. I'm not ready to stake everything on Larry Brooks' say so

Also, I think Brassard certainly has the talent to put up the numbers Stepan has, the question is whether he can keep up his level of play for an entire year

Old
09-18-2013, 07:11 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Right. I was also speaking to the culture AV wants to bring into the locker room. Fun and exciting and happy and energized. Torts spoke to a mentality of a battle of attrition and AV doesn't see it that way.
Good point also. Brass seems to be a textbook example of the culture AV is trying to establish.

Honestly, I really don't mean this as a spite to Stepan or anything, but he should be worried if he thinks he has 1C locked up.

Old
09-18-2013, 07:12 PM
JohnC

There's something about Larry Brooks that makes him my least trusted of the Rangers beat writers. Not sure why

Old
09-18-2013, 07:15 PM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Good point also. Brass seems to be a textbook example of the culture AV is trying to establish.

Honestly, I really don't mean this as a spite to Stepan or anything, but he should be worried if he thinks he has 1C locked up.
At this point it looks like a possibility that we will have 1A, 1B, and 1C centers.

All three have the talent to put up 60+ points.

Someone will falter though, you know just because...

Old
09-18-2013, 07:15 PM
Thirty One
k.

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
There's something about Larry Brooks that makes him my least trusted of the Rangers beat writers. Not sure why
Physical appearance

Old
09-18-2013, 07:19 PM
Gardner McKay
Global Moderator
Tis' the SeaSon

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
We don't really know for sure what he's being offered. Reports from "insiders" may or may not be accurate. I'm not ready to stake everything on Larry Brooks' say so

Also, I think Brassard certainly has the talent to put up the numbers Stepan has, the question is whether he can keep up his level of play for an entire year
I agree about Brassard. The talent is there. Hopefully for our sake we don't have to find out if he can be a #1 C for any time and can watch him continue to solidify himself as a top notch #2 C

They keep calling out my name, I shout it down
--
Old
09-18-2013, 07:29 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
At this point it looks like a possibility that we will have 1A, 1B, and 1C centers.

All three have the talent to put up 60+ points.

Someone will falter though, you know just because...
NYR is cursed after trying the Gabby - Richards - Nash line. They have angered the hockey gods, and the gods are spiteful.

But yeah, seriously, you're right. It's too good to be true. Out of the three though, I'd pick Richards to falter. Brass has been a beast since he came to New York and Step is on the upswing assuming this whole debacle doesn't throw off his groove in any way.

Old
09-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
People can't separate his awful, awful analytical and speculatory abilities from his source information. His sources are usually very good and correct. The only problem is that sometimes he just reports things that are rhetoric and gets manipulated into becoming the organizations mouthpiece. I have a feeling that's the case here. I'm not sure I'd believe they're as far apart as reported.

Old
09-18-2013, 07:35 PM
Lerb

Didn't Mackenzie report something on it as well?/

Old
09-18-2013, 07:37 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Yeah, but we also had a report putting the distance at $500k/year.

Old
09-18-2013, 07:41 PM
Lerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Yeah, but we also had a report putting the distance at $500k/year.
3.2 and 3.5+ is about 5

Old
09-18-2013, 07:44 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Who reported the Rangers had upped their offer to $3.2MM per? Last report I saw was the Rangers at an $6MM for 2 years and Step's camp wanting $7MM...

Old
09-18-2013, 07:54 PM
Lerb

Can someone look and find it? I'm on my phone. I think I read 3.2 somewhere being reported. I may be incorrect. Also said Stepan was looking for A BIT OVER 3.5M a year.

Old
09-18-2013, 07:54 PM
boblink

Quote:
This may be one of the reasons John: When Pittsburgh put Jagr on the trade market, the Rangers were considered the favorites and it was where Jagr wanted to play. Brooks wrote that it was a one horse race, the next day Jagr was traded to Washington.

Old
09-18-2013, 07:58 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

That kind of thing has happened to Brooks more than once. But, much like the Jagr rumors, he was simply reporting what his sources were telling him.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a Brooks report saying Steps and Sather were far apart and a Stepan signing on the same day.

Old
09-18-2013, 08:14 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Can someone look and find it? I'm on my phone. I think I read 3.2 somewhere being reported. I may be incorrect. Also said Stepan was looking for A BIT OVER 3.5M a year.
You made it up.

Better yet, you probably read it from here and stole it from someone else who made it up.

Old
09-18-2013, 08:17 PM
TheTakedown
Puck is Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Honestly I am of the mind that this whole Stepan thing is just ho-hum until Sather sees where the cards fall in camp and the roster is finalized. People will be waived and cut, then they will look at their cap situation and get him signed.

I sincerely doubt they go to opening night Stepanless. If I am wrong then we could have a RoR situation on our hands and I am not looking forward to that.
Pretty sure this is what's going on... The real hold up (if you can call it that) here is probably AV making the proper assessments to see who will make the finalized roster, and who will be sent down to the AHL/Waivers. Also recall that some guys COULD get claimed off waivers, and that takes their cap hit away entirely, which can be more beneficial to Stepan's new contract

Old
09-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Steve Kournianos
@thedraftanalyst

Stepan's doing nothing wrong. Neither is Sather and neither is that scrub Oates.

I like how a contract dispute all of a sudden brings out the flaws in his game.

Stepan is a stud, and a smart one at that. Both parties will win out by the time this is over. This isnt the NFL where missing camp can derail a team's season.

Hundreds of pro athletes treat camp as a time to get away from their wives, their kids and do nothing but go through the motions. Guys with natural talent like Stepan don't have their entire seasons voided because of the lack of a few preseason games.

Think of the thousands of athletes who come into camp in great shape, have a great camp, then become larks after a week of the regular season.

Old
09-18-2013, 09:09 PM
Lerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
You made it up.

Better yet, you probably read it from here and stole it from someone else who made it up.
I can't tell if you're joking or if you're mongering hate.

Closed Thread