HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Stepan Negotiations (9/19-Dreger: "Unlikely" Stepan signs before season opens)

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2013, 09:14 PM
Lorb

vCash: 500
I read it from Boom Boom's post but I left out the "about" bit

Either way, this is getting old real fast. AV says he won't hold anything against Step but it won't be up to AV's mindfulness of his clean slate philosophy when doing an all encompassing evaluation of Stepan.

I am quite shocked at how long Step has held out for. There are a few guys I thought would never hold out in these situations including Henrik and Mats and Stepan WAS on that list of players.

Old
09-18-2013, 09:21 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
There's something about Larry Brooks that makes him my least trusted of the Rangers beat writers. Not sure why
He's warranted it... last 7-9 years he's been better, but he set an MO early on, unfortunately it'll always follow him... mind you, I'm 27 but I remember being 12 and like WTF?

Old
09-18-2013, 09:24 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
There's something about Larry
All I could think of was this:

Old
09-18-2013, 09:30 PM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

Quote:
Stepan and the Rangers, as The Post has previously reported, are approximately $1 million apart over two years, with the center seeking $3.5 million per season and management having offered approximately $2.9 million a year.
http://nypost.com/2013/09/18/vigneau...oldout-stepan/

Old
09-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Mr Atoz*

Quote:
There's something about Larry Brooks that makes him my least trusted of the Rangers beat writers. Not sure why
Maybe it's because he makes it obvious that he hates the Rangers and looks for any excuse to dump on them.

Old
09-18-2013, 10:11 PM
Gardner McKay
Global Moderator
Rangers this year

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
They need to meet in the middle. 3.2 and call it a day.

Old
09-18-2013, 10:16 PM
HockeyBasedNYC
Back-checking Center

Approximately 2.9 to 3.5 is closer to a difference of a half million than a million. What's the big deal here?

2 years at 3.25 c'mon

Old
09-18-2013, 10:20 PM
Staxgod90
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Staxgod90
Can they just do 3.3x2 and get the kid with the team?

Old
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusty View Post
I read it from Boom Boom's post but I left out the "about" bit

Either way, this is getting old real fast. AV says he won't hold anything against Step but it won't be up to AV's mindfulness of his clean slate philosophy when doing an all encompassing evaluation of Stepan.

I am quite shocked at how long Step has held out for. There are a few guys I thought would never hold out in these situations including Henrik and Mats and Stepan WAS on that list of players.
You have to remember this is a business. Just because someone's a nice guy doesn't mean he won't try to do what's best for his finances.

Old
Krams
Banned User

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Approximately 2.9 to 3.5 is closer to a difference of a half million than a million. What's the big deal here?

2 years at 3.25 c'mon
It's one million over two years. It's not an insignificant amount.

Old
09-18-2013, 10:24 PM
redfzn

Quote:
lol Monte Cristo (Danny Kristo).

Slats has to absolutely know that Stepan is not going to take 2.9M considering the other similar 2 year bridge deals that have been dealt by other clubs the past two seasons. Kadri comes to mind instantly as the most recent and the kid has only one season, if that, under his belt. It's def, at minimum, going to take 3.2M unless Stepan is willing to take less for the sake of helping the club.

I see exactly where Step is coming from but I'd love to know where he thinks we're getting this extra cap space from. He better be working out and skating on his own in the meantime and hope that this doesn't carry on into the season like Subban.

Old
09-18-2013, 10:30 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfzn View Post
lol Monte Cristo (Danny Kristo).

Slats has to absolutely know that Stepan is not going to take 2.9M considering the other similar 2 year bridge deals that have been dealt by other clubs the past two seasons. Kadri comes to mind instantly as the most recent and the kid has only one season, if that, under his belt. It's def, at minimum, going to take 3.2M unless Stepan is willing to take less for the sake of helping the club.

I see exactly where Step is coming from but I'd love to know where he thinks we're getting this extra cap space from. He better be working out and skating on his own in the meantime and hope that this doesn't carry on into the season like Subban.
His agent knows exactly how much cap space we have. We can afford 3.5 pretty easily, but Slats isn't going to give a penny more than he has to.

Old
09-18-2013, 10:39 PM
Lorb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
You have to remember this is a business. Just because someone's a nice guy doesn't mean he won't try to do what's best for his finances.
It's a business yes. However, in business, this would be considered bad faith. Since I was corrected of the actual figures reported from both sides, I can't say for certain who's responsible for the bad faith because the difference is $600,000 a year and only that. I'm certainly not saying this is a minor amount of money but in contract talks where the terms and conditions have been agreed upon and that being a bridge deal, the amount of money is the last thing on the check list. A difference of $600,000 per year was resolved by OTT in their latest contract stalemate.

The lack of serious negotiation and ongoing discussions is evident by the lack of progress. It's a business but at some point, it's bad faith. I understand management is trying to control a cap and there's no doubt that they've reserved enough for Stepan. For some reason, they're not settling at around $3.25M. Who's unwilling to adjust their offer and stance and expressing bad faith? I don't know but Matt Oates hasn't been very smart.

Old
09-19-2013, 02:23 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusty View Post
It's a business yes. However, in business, this would be considered bad faith. Since I was corrected of the actual figures reported from both sides, I can't say for certain who's responsible for the bad faith because the difference is $600,000 a year and only that. I'm certainly not saying this is a minor amount of money but in contract talks where the terms and conditions have been agreed upon and that being a bridge deal, the amount of money is the last thing on the check list. A difference of $600,000 per year was resolved by OTT in their latest contract stalemate.

The lack of serious negotiation and ongoing discussions is evident by the lack of progress. It's a business but at some point, it's bad faith. I understand management is trying to control a cap and there's no doubt that they've reserved enough for Stepan. For some reason, they're not settling at around $3.25M. Who's unwilling to adjust their offer and stance and expressing bad faith? I don't know but Matt Oates hasn't been very smart.
This is posturing, not bad faith. I realize you may have a much looser definition of "bad faith" than others, so I could understand why you feel this way. The reality is this is a negotiation with both sides doing exactly what they're supposed to. Hell, "bad faith" negotiating can lead to non-binding contracts.

Slats knows he won't get by on Kadri money, Stepan ('s agent) knows he won't get Duchene money - just how much of that difference goes either way depends solely on the only leg Stepan can stand on, holding out.

Ultimately, I know where you're coming from and I think your point is a valid one. I can't help but feel the more preseason Steps misses the slower start he'll have, and further behind the ball he'll be when he gets back. Hopefully not of course!

Old
09-19-2013, 03:33 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

At the end of the day, both sides need to be satisfied with the contract, or there's no use signing it. It'll get done. No worries.

Old
09-19-2013, 03:41 AM
Lorb

I did use the term badly. Take the deception out of bad faith I suppose. Posturing certainly has a limit. One or both sides must be resistant enough for there to be no progress made when the only thing that's in question is $500,000 a year. Posturing leads to stalemates. Negotiation backdrops can be sometime like this or something much easier. I suspect this is both the tactical approach Glen and co. Has always had (as well as most other GMs but perhaps less so than Glen) and Oates insistence

Old
09-19-2013, 03:54 AM
SixGoalieSystem

While I don't blame Steps for trying to get the best deal possible, they need to settle this soon. There's a new coach trying to build a team and we need our #1 center to be a part of camp. We don't want a ROR-situation on our hands.

Just settle for 3,25/2 years and be done with it.

Old
09-19-2013, 07:43 AM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

The Rangers have upped their offer. Brooks reported the Rangers were at $2.5M-$2.7M last week after Brooks reported it was $2.75M-$3M. Now its $2.9M. Kadri got $2.9M. McKenzie claims Stepan wants more than $3.5M. Brooks reports its $3.5M. McKenzie reported the Rangers are willing to pay a little more than $3M to get it done. $3.2M? $3.25M? The Rangers have a day off today in Banff. Its the charity golf tournament. They will practice for the next 3 days in Banff. It would be nice to have Stepan there. He is not that far from Minnesota in relation to Banff.

Old
09-19-2013, 08:34 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Is this going to turn into one of those "We aren't going to use X as an excuse" and then all we hear about is how slow of a start we got off to due to X and how we never really recovered from it?

Old
09-19-2013, 08:57 AM
pld459666

Quote:
The Rangers have upped their offer. Brooks reported the Rangers were at $2.5M-$2.7M last week after Brooks reported it was $2.75M-$3M. Now its $2.9M. Kadri got $2.9M. McKenzie claims Stepan wants more than $3.5M. Brooks reports its $3.5M. McKenzie reported the Rangers are willing to pay a little more than $3M to get it done. $3.2M? $3.25M? The Rangers have a day off today in Banff. Its the charity golf tournament. They will practice for the next 3 days in Banff. It would be nice to have Stepan there. He is not that far from Minnesota in relation to Banff.
Wuuuut?

For that poster that stated I do not understand negotiations. I present to you the above.

Old
09-19-2013, 09:04 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Wuuuut?

For that poster that stated I do not understand negotiations. I present to you the above.
All that means is that we can't trust what is being reported.

Old
09-19-2013, 09:17 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
All that means is that we can't trust what is being reported.
my point was that I stated earlier in this thread that Sather was probably offering 2.7 and bumped it to 2.9 due to the Kadri signing.

I was then told I didn't understand negotiation.

Granted, the number stated in the RB post may not be 100% accurate, but I sincerely doubt Sather ventured to 3 mill or north of on any counter.

I would venture a guess that both Stepan and Sather are probably more than fine at 3.2 or 3.3 per. However, that's the end game.

If Sather and the Rangers come in at 2.7 per, Stepan and his reps would be idiots to come in at anything less than 4 per.

The "fair" number is 3.35, however, teams usually win these things however slightly it may be so a contract at 3.2 or 3.25 is a number we can expect (a number everyone expects)

I often times do not get to pat myself on the back....I'm usually pulling out daggers.

Old
09-19-2013, 09:36 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I would venture a guess that both Stepan and Sather are probably more than fine at 3.2 or 3.3 per. However, that's the end game.
I agree on those numbers. I just wish that both sides would get to it already. It's like with the CBA negotiations. We all know where it's going to end up, but neither side wants to be the first to acknowledge it for fear of weakening their position.

Old
09-19-2013, 09:40 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I agree on those numbers. I just wish that both sides would get to it already. It's like with the CBA negotiations. We all know where it's going to end up, but neither side wants to be the first to acknowledge it for fear of weakening their position.
I was literally coming here to post the exact same thing.

Old
09-19-2013, 10:18 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Split the difference. $3.2M per.

Thats the # they should've arrived at a long time ago, and its pretty absurd a week+ into camp they've still yet to arrive there.

Closed Thread