HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Offers for Ari Ahonen

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2004, 08:29 PM
friesen12

vCash: 500
Offers for Ari Ahonen

Does anyone want him.Good prospect but with Marty he's never starting here unless some contract thing comes up which it probably won't. If we don't re-sign Schwabie, Clemmensen will likely be the backup because that's as high as his NHL career will most likely go.

Please share thoughtsand offers.

Old
01-17-2004, 08:40 PM
PEli*

Don't expect much. He may be a good goaltending prospect but I doubt much comes back for him at all. He's still relatively unproven. Despite his decet success in Albany (haha), he's just a prospect.

He'll be a part of a bigger deal rather than be packaged off by himself.

Old
01-17-2004, 08:57 PM
Street Hawk

Agreed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEli
Don't expect much. He may be a good goaltending prospect but I doubt much comes back for him at all. He's still relatively unproven. Despite his decet success in Albany (haha), he's just a prospect.

He'll be a part of a bigger deal rather than be packaged off by himself.

I think the main reason NJ drafted him back in 1999 was for Insurance purposes. Brodeur was to be a UFA in 2003, but signed a long term deal with the Devils in either 2001 or 2002. It was a smart move on the part of NJ because they couldn't be 100% sure that Marty would resign with them, given how tight NJ runs their team.

But, with Marty signed, NJ doesn't need Ari, especially if Marty continues to play 70 games a season. Heck, we're half way through the year and Schwab has played in 4 games.

Ari, most likely dished off as a package deal to get some scoring help before the playoffs.

I think Chicago would be a good spot for him. Zhamnov is available and I personally do not feel that Anderson or Leighton are going to be #1 goalies.

Old
01-17-2004, 09:06 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Kings might be interested in him. They've even got veteran talent that they're looking to off load on a playoff team. Who would you want (assuming they make it to you healthy ).

Players available either straight up or in a larger package:
Miller
Lappy
Stumpel
Klatt
Luc
Modry
Sim
Tripp
Chartrand
(probably some others but I can't think of any more right now)

And this added bonus, I think only Miller is signed thru next season so the Devils don't have to worry about another heavy contract post-CBA renewal.

01-17-2004, 09:30 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove
Kings might be interested in him. They've even got veteran talent that they're looking to off load on a playoff team. Who would you want (assuming they make it to you healthy ).

Players available either straight up or in a larger package:
Miller
Lappy
Stumpel
Klatt
Luc
Modry
Sim
Tripp
Chartrand
(probably some others but I can't think of any more right now)

And this added bonus, I think only Miller is signed thru next season so the Devils don't have to worry about another heavy contract post-CBA renewal.
Was about to say LA my self. Our lone weakness where it comes to prospects is the galring lack of any legit goaltending prospect. Really, only Ryan Munce has a semi-decent chance at anything more then a cup of coffee at the NHL level right now. We need someone to one day take over the reins. I wonder if LA is gun shy on goalies since the Jamie Storr bust of a decade ago?

Old
01-18-2004, 05:45 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
I don't think Ari is for sale right now, I thought he was 2 days ago but once you think of it, after the CBA anythnig can happen, even Brodeur leaving NJ. Ahonen is a franchise goaltender and I hope NJ doesn't do the same thing the avs did with Denis.

Old
01-18-2004, 09:06 AM
Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk
I think Chicago would be a good spot for him. Zhamnov is available and I personally do not feel that Anderson or Leighton are going to be #1 goalies.
Huh?

We're up to our necks in goaltending prospects. We don't need yet another one.

Old
01-18-2004, 09:52 AM
Street Hawk

Not likely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
I don't think Ari is for sale right now, I thought he was 2 days ago but once you think of it, after the CBA anythnig can happen, even Brodeur leaving NJ. Ahonen is a franchise goaltender and I hope NJ doesn't do the same thing the avs did with Denis.
NJ's 3 highest paid guys are Marty and the 2 Scotts. Given Stevens' current PCS issues, and his physical style of play, Stevens could well be near the end of his career despite having another year on his contract. Lou would likely dump Elias and others to keep Marty around.

NJ wouldn't be managing it's assets wisely if they kept a NHL calibre goalie in the AHL forever. I mean, does Brodeur show any signs of only playing 60 games a season in the near future?

NJ did sign Marty to a 5 year contract a year or two ago, so he's got at least 3 more years left. By then, Ari will be 26. Ari won't develop playing 10-15 games a year at the NHL level in the next 2 or 3 years. But, NJ will run into the same problems that Buffalo will encounter if they try to move Noronen. Limited takers. All but a handful of teams are developing a goalie right now.

LA, St. Louis, Florida (have Luongo, so don't need one, will likely draft one soon, just to be safe down the line) appear to be the only teams without a youngster who has true #1 potential in their system.

LA would be the best spot for Ari, just depends on whether the Kings call it a season given the status of their top 3 forwards; Palffy, Allison, Deadmarsh.

Old
01-18-2004, 10:07 AM
Frolov

To Devils: Option to swap draft picks this season

To Devils: Miller ( but something of value has to come back to LA along with Ahonen)

To Devils: 1st round pick in 2005.

Old
01-18-2004, 10:07 AM
PanthersRule96

From fla

Hagman, Kreps

for

Ahonen

???

Is that way underpaying?

Old
01-18-2004, 10:08 AM
Frolov

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac

Unless the Devils have a dispersal draft, Broduer doesn't leave, IMO ofcourse.

Closed Thread