HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RIP PSL Benefits (updated post #32: Benefits Restored)

Old
09-11-2013, 09:34 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 50
RIP PSL Benefits (updated post #32: Benefits Restored)

For those that don't know, PSL benefits apparently no longer exist. Benefits are based on the ticket package you have, nothing more. The unfortunate thing is that this isn't being explained to anyone openly - only to those who ask or complain about missing an event. I wonder how angry people who have partial plans with a PSL ill be when they realize they weren't invited to the zoo party or other events - especially if that event has passed. I can appreciate the CBJ position on this, but they are not being as open about it as they should.

Although I retain exclusive events and such as a full STH, this situation makes me a little more than curious about the apparent worthlessness of the PSL I own. If I paid for part of the arena debt or maintenance and that's it, fine I guess, but I'd really like to hear the team's justification for terminating the program. It seems disingenuous to just "disappear" it like something from the Sopranos.

It just doesn't seem right to me and I would encourage partial plan PSL holders to contact their reps. Remember though, the rep is your advocate. They don't make the rules, so please be nice to them.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 09:40 PM
EDM

vCash: 500
I was amazed at how cheaply put together this year's STH package was. They did not even include a copy of the schedule. Seems that they should realize that a STH might, just might, want a copy of the schedule.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 11:08 PM
Crede777
Deputized

I'd give up PSL privileges if it means a couple thousand more butts in the seat each night.

That said, I don't dig the part where we pay for something that is of no benefit.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 07:07 AM
blahblah

Since I don't give a crap about the perks, as a partial STH this really doesn't matter to me.

However, if it wasn't communicated, which is pretty standard for the Blue Jackets, then I would say that things haven't changed much under JD to this point and I would make a point of illustrating that oversight to him.

I'll be honest, I see a team spending nearly to cap from a team that has lost money the last few years. I'm not going too complain much about this. Ownership as paid a steep price for those sins of the past.

Not saying it's inexcusable, but things like cheapening the STH welcome package (or whatever you want to call it) is fine with me. Save a few bucks where you can and invest in the on-ice product. Off ice, focus more on the events with kids. They are the next generation fans. We old people are already set in our ways. Yes, if you are approaching 30 or above you fall into that group. We aren't going to get too many more than we have now.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 08:12 AM
pete goegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Since I don't give a crap about the perks, as a partial STH this really doesn't matter to me.

However, if it wasn't communicated, which is pretty standard for the Blue Jackets, then I would say that things haven't changed much under JD to this point and I would make a point of illustrating that oversight to him.

I'll be honest, I see a team spending nearly to cap from a team that has lost money the last few years. I'm not going too complain much about this. Ownership as paid a steep price for those sins of the past.

Not saying it's inexcusable, but things like cheapening the STH welcome package (or whatever you want to call it) is fine with me. Save a few bucks where you can and invest in the on-ice product. Off ice, focus more on the events with kids. They are the next generation fans. We old people are already set in our ways. Yes, if you are approaching 30 or above you fall into that group. We aren't going to get too many more than we have now.
Yeah, I always figured the PSL was just an exorbitant fee charged to get in the Season Ticket game and never thought much about perks or profit from it. I will miss the Zoo show, if 20-2-1 folks aren't invited; but, other than that, it won't effect me. Don't care about the cheaper ticket packaging, either.

Old People = Approaching 30? That makes me feel positively ancient!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 08:26 AM
Kev22

Now that Franklin County owns the Arena, doesn't that render the purpose of PSL's moot? If the original purpose of the license program was to pay down debt and arena maintenance, if that money is now coming out of someone else's pocket, why continue that program? I do agree that if that was not communicated, that's poor on the organizations part. I'm a non-PSL half STH, and I agree that I could care less about the exclusive offers for other events, I just want the best on-ice product possible.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 09:03 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 50
I don't really care about anything other than the on ice product either, but I do think some communication would have been nice. Seems like a crappy way to treat their fans. PSLs were sold with the idea of 'extra benefits' in many partial plans and in some cases you could opt to either get a PSL or not get a PSL based on how important those extras were to you. It's understood they could pull them at any time I suppose, but still, it would have been nice to see it presented in some way that might encourage a bigger 'buy in' by partial STHs rather than simply go silent and not send invites - as if they may not notice? Reminds me of not calling someone after a date..

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:

I would say that anything related to season ticket sales and PSL benefits would fall under the responsibilities of Mike Priest.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
This was a major problem with Atlanta. They had a good STH base until ASG took over and started doing what they did. As more people began to question the point of re-upping at a greater expense for less of a return, ASG started slashing STH benefits. This caused a further erosion of the STH base, since the actual season ticket discount compared to face value became minimal and there was no incentive to become (or stay) an STH. People could still get to a bunch of games, knowing that the team would have to dump those surplus tickets before the game started.

Saving a few bucks on STH benefits can turn out to be very, very costly. And there's over $500,000 currently tied up on two-way contracts for AHL players who will never be NHL players, so...

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 10:08 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
Now that Franklin County owns the Arena, doesn't that render the purpose of PSL's moot? If the original purpose of the license program was to pay down debt and arena maintenance, if that money is now coming out of someone else's pocket, why continue that program?
I'm actually interested to see if this was the thinking. A lot of other teams have had PSLs, the revenue of which went right to ownership despite the fact that their stadium or arena had been built entirely with public money and was maintained by public government.

Old
09-12-2013, 10:29 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

If your not getting something you did in the past

Sorry "if you are" not your

I can certainly see your point. I have been in group PSL's so the folks with their name on the seat must have been scamming all the good stuff. You know who you are!! I figured PSL's ensure the availability of your seat in Nationwide, really nothing more. If they win, and the fan base increases I would expect PSL discounts to become negligible. PSL's/or club seats at the Shoe pay premium prices, not less than the ticket holder that cannot get to a special refreshment area. Or ride an elevator/ escalator to their seats.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 10:58 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
I would say that anything related to season ticket sales and PSL benefits would fall under the responsibilities of Mike Priest.
I would say that JD was heavily involved in the customer base in StL. If that isn't the case here, there is a major gap. Priest has about as much customer relations skills as Howson did. Which is to say rabid wolves are a more pleasant person experience.

To even suggest that Priest is involved (actually in charge) and not denounce it... Well...

Old
09-12-2013, 10:59 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Saving a few bucks on STH benefits can turn out to be very, very costly. And there's over $500,000 currently tied up on two-way contracts for AHL players who will never be NHL players, so...
I am sure they are deathly afraid of that rebellion of 10 people.

Old
09-12-2013, 11:09 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

I've been in a battle with the ticketing arm of the team most of the summer. I'm not going to get into details, but I believe that most of these changes are coming from the teams new Ticketing VP Joe Andrade. http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=90730. In talking with him I do not believe he understands this market nor does he appreciate the loyalt that many of us 10 plus year STH have shown this team.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
I am sure they are deathly afraid of that rebellion of 10 people.
I'm sure there's more than 10 people upset at the lack of PSL or STH incentives.

Regardless, it seems like simple asset management to me. The money laid out all comes from the same accounts, and squandering a bunch of it on useless contracts hampers everything else. $100,000 being wasted on a single non-NHL player's two-way contract could hire another scout (who can find actual NHL players) and upgrade STH incentives while likely still having something left over.

My parents are both lower-bowl STHs, and my mother is the one who once cancelled a 30-year history with her bank because they refused to give her (a longtime customer) any of the large incentives that new customers off the street could get. And this wasn't a case of "not matching", it was a case of "not even attempting to come close on a single point".

Old
09-12-2013, 01:44 PM
WALLY

I really don't care for the STH incentives either... And I don't have any desire to meet players, chat with executives, rub elbows with Rimmer or Davidge. The only reason I've bought ticket packages is for playoff ticket priority (and/or the ASG a year ago). That's it.

For me, it's the little things that matter... We downgraded to a 6 game plan this year & I got my ticket package yesterday. Two seats & one card... One? Really?

WALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 02:05 PM
BJFan1

To whomever it may concern:

I have asked about this over and over again for some time, and to my knowledge, for the first couple seasons of CBJ hockey, you had to buy a PSL per seat as part of your season tickets, and the benefits of a full season ticket holder were called "PSL Holder Benefits". After that, the PSL seemed to be nothing more than essentially reserving your right to get priority to purchase those seats to all events held at Nationwide Arena, which I still believe to be the case today. Whether it's playoff hockey, a show, or another sporting event in the building, you get first dibs at your PSL seats before they are offered to anyone else.

These "PSL Holder Benefits" seem to have been re-branded now as "Full/Half/Partial STH Benefits". For instance, it appears the "Columbus Zoo Meet the Team Night" is now only offered to Full STH's (and only for the number of people as the number of seats they have, and that's it!) You no longer have to have a PSL to receive these benefits as they are given out based upon your level of commitment to the team as a STH... so, in a way you still get the benefits, but in a way, I can still feel a little "ripped off" for having to shell out the extra money 13 years ago to purchase the 4 PSL's we own and now having nothing to show for them...

Maybe the CBJ should give something back to those long-term STH's who currently own PSL's so as to not make total loss of money by completely dissolving the program.

BJFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 02:35 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

One other thing. To the few that have a old 20-2-1 and have kept your same seats year to year be prepared to lose them and have to select new seats each year. These seats will also be limited in location ie nothing in the first 5-10 rows of each sec. I have nothing solid but from my conversions with different reps this is likely coming.

Old
09-12-2013, 02:45 PM
pete goegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
One other thing. To the few that have a old 20-2-1 and have kept your same seats year to year be prepared to lose them and have to select new seats each year. These seats will also be limited in location ie nothing in the first 5-10 rows of each sec. I have nothing solid but from my conversions with different reps this is likely coming.
If that's true, I will not be pleased!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 03:08 PM
JacketsDavid

As a PSL holder I don't really care. I like the all you can eat night, getting the opportunity to buy single game tickets before others (but honestly haven't used it in a while), the discounts on fan-bucks at beginning of year, opportunity to buy additional playoff tickets before others, etc. I'm not an autograph hound and generally don't want to be around people in "forced" situations (hey player "X" go there and hang out and have fun, act like you care). That's like the guy who thinks the stripper or bartender actually likes you - nope they are doing their job.
If the team wins I'm happy, if they are losing I'm unhappy.

Now I think they could be more upfront - and they should bend over backwards to make the fans happy, but they don't owe me a thing except give me the right to buy the same seats every year.

JacketsDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 03:19 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
If that's true, I will not be pleased!
I hope it's not, but I get the feeling it is. Also the right to keep your seat use to be listed on the benefits page for as long as I can remember and now it's gone.

Old
09-13-2013, 08:12 AM
JDCox17

Okay, just spoke to my ticket rep. We have a 10-4-1 with a PSL that we started purchasing on an installment plan about 2 years ago. (Yes, feel free to laugh it up that I paid $750 for a PSL in recent years.)

That said, my rep said that we're grandfathered in to the old benefits such as Fan Bucks, etc. regardless of what it says on the benefits page. Same for concert pre-sales, etc.

Now, that was a phone conversation and it will be interesting to see what happens when I go to try to buy some Fan Bucks. But that's what I was told direct from my ticket rep not five minutes ago.

Perhaps a good "test" of this would be to know if there were any recent concert pre-sale emails. I usually ignore those but had sort of been keeping an eye out for an Elton John one and don't recall seeing it. Any full STH get pre-sales for that or other concerts recently?

JDCox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 09:55 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I'm sure there's more than 10 people upset at the lack of PSL or STH incentives.
I said rebellion. Being annoyed is a far cry from cancelling.

Old
09-13-2013, 11:19 AM
BJfan
NobodyBeatsTheWiz!

Received Elton John presale email earlier this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCox17 View Post
Okay, just spoke to my ticket rep. We have a 10-4-1 with a PSL that we started purchasing on an installment plan about 2 years ago. (Yes, feel free to laugh it up that I paid $750 for a PSL in recent years.)

That said, my rep said that we're grandfathered in to the old benefits such as Fan Bucks, etc. regardless of what it says on the benefits page. Same for concert pre-sales, etc.

Now, that was a phone conversation and it will be interesting to see what happens when I go to try to buy some Fan Bucks. But that's what I was told direct from my ticket rep not five minutes ago.

Perhaps a good "test" of this would be to know if there were any recent concert pre-sale emails. I usually ignore those but had sort of been keeping an eye out for an Elton John one and don't recall seeing it. Any full STH get pre-sales for that or other concerts recently?

BJfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 12:00 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 2000
I'm a full STH. I didnt get any communication for parking, for the zoo meet & greet, or for any concert presales. Seems to me the business side is disorganized.

Last edited by IBleedUnionBlue: 09-13-2013 at 12:15 PM.
IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote