HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

BoH OT/Lounge I: New & Improved. Now with 95% less Phoenix.

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2013, 12:29 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 5113
Nice, love watching those fast lapse conversions of basketball/hockey arenas, first time I've ever seen one for baseball/football.

Seeing the tarp go up over all those seat is all kinds of depressing, though.

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limits of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
Old
10-07-2013, 01:21 AM
kdb209
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://bcove.me/uz0g5pt9

Interesting time lapse look at converting Oakland's O.co stadium from baseball to football (at a cost of $250k).

Just one reason there are so many single-sport arenas.
The Oakland Coliseum is the last remaining stadium shared by an NFL and MLB team.

Old
10-07-2013, 10:03 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post

Seeing the tarp go up over all those seat is all kinds of depressing, though.
It's really strange watching a game on TV there, since that's the end of the field you're facing, so it looks like they only have people in the lower level. Then they do a blimp shot or whatever and you finally see the upper level in 3/4ths of the stadium all filled.

Old
10-07-2013, 12:36 PM
go_leafs_go02

I find it interesting the neither the A's or the Raiders use the upper deck of Mt. Davis (the outfield section) anymore. It's tarped off by both teams.

So looking at it now, only time those sections are used is for a World Series game or an NFL playoff game. So if you're lucky, those seats are sat in once every couple of years for a sporting event.

Concerts are a different story, although I don't know how often concerts take place there.

Old
10-07-2013, 07:38 PM
Llama19

New Coyotes owners supremely confident of franchise's future successes in Phoenix

To quote:

"The NHL sold the Coyotes to IceArizona Acquisition Co. for $170 million over the summer. The new nine-man ownership group faces the same old challenges – ice in the desert, an arena across town from all the money in Scottsdale. The new owners also have an out clause in their arena lease with the city of Glendale. They can bolt in five years if they lose $50 million. Even if no one wants to lose $50 million – even if "every incentive they have is to make this work," in Bettman's words – it's easy to be skeptical and say this franchise has not left limbo and the threat of relocation still looms.

"One of the common problems that too many investors make is when they buy a distressed asset, they don't prepare for the worst," said [George] Gosbee, who has spent 20 years in corporate finance, investment banking and global capital markets. "We just didn't buy the asset. We just didn't come in here and hit the purchase price. We have a lot of cash on the balance sheet, and I think Gary liked that. We really overcapitalized this thing."

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl--ne...202912214.html

Old
10-07-2013, 11:49 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Looks like a great crowd in LA despite the Dodgers game. Tickets for Hawks/Blues dropped significantly today on Stubhub/Vividseats after the Cardinals won to force game 5 Wednesday.

Old
10-08-2013, 10:04 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=433659

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, with book on history of hockey soon to be released, on the level of violence in the game:

Quote:
"I do think that authorities have historically not taken their responsibility to try and keep the rough, tough part of the game within the rules," he said, adding he's particularly concerned about head shots.

"These are very serious issues and they do have to be taken seriously by the NHL and other sports bodies."
http://www.tsn.ca/olympics/story/?id=433663
Hockey Canada unveils 2014 Winter Olympic jerseys

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/10/07/580...#mi_rss=Sports
NFL scheduling meeting (perhaps next month) with members of the Oneida tribe pushing for change of nickname of the Washington Redskins.

Quote:
For years, a group of American Indians has tried to block the team from having federal trademark protection, and Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, the District of Columbia's envoy to Congress, predicted Monday that effort eventually will succeed.
Davis also said the campaign is "showing selective attention" by focusing on the Redskins and not teams such as the NFL's Kansas City Chiefs, NHL's Chicago Blackhawks, or Major League Baseball's Cleveland Indians and Atlanta Braves.

Earlier, Halbritter was asked about those other nicknames.

"The name of Washington's team is a dictionary-defined, offensive racial epithet. Those other names aren't," Halbritter said. "But there is a broader discussion to be had about using mascots generally."

Old
10-08-2013, 10:30 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

As you can tell by my avatar, I'm a fan of Indian Head logos... but even I have a hard time defending the Redskins name.

That being said, whatever backlash comes from non-Skins fans for keeping the name pales in comparison to the reaction that fans would have if they ever changed their name. Never say never, but for that reason alone I'm doubting that they change it for a long, long, long time.

Old
10-09-2013, 02:39 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

TVbytheNumbers 1:55pm via TV by the Numbers

NBCSN and Hockey East Sign Multi-Year Extention http://t.co/Tsg0CQ2lQR

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/10/uk-h...me-suspension/

UK Elite Hockey League player suspended 47 games for eye gouging (and fighting in stands).
Quote:
Fighting off the ice = 15 matches
Attempted eye gouge = 12 matches
Knee to the head = 10 matches
Excessive force to the head resulting in an impact to the ice = 10 matches
And released by team. Kinda doubting he'll be playing pro hockey in the future with that record.

Old
10-09-2013, 08:29 AM
Tinalera

Quote:
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/10/uk-h...me-suspension/

UK Elite Hockey League player suspended 47 games for eye gouging (and fighting in stands).

And released by team. Kinda doubting he'll be playing pro hockey in the future with that record.
And they talk about violence in North American hockey-wow

On a more serious note, yea this sounds like a one time event by a player who just got totally out of control-still wow.

Old
10-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Teemu

Quote:
http://www.sacbee.com/2013/10/07/580...#mi_rss=Sports
NFL scheduling meeting (perhaps next month) with members of the Oneida tribe pushing for change of nickname of the Washington Redskins.
In a related story, the NFL announces that it will be generously donating blankets to the tribe...

Old
10-09-2013, 11:58 AM
Tinalera

Just a minor wondering in the "sports media-what are they doing?" department:

Clicked on TSN.ca to check out headline-and I see a picture of Jake Gardiner-my thought "oh, he's been traded" or something like that. I didn't even have to click on the link to see the story-the "headline story" was (and I'm paraphrasing) "what would it take to trade Jake Gardiner? Our insiders discuss the question".

I know this isn't the first time this has been done-but from a business/journalism standpoint-you could have put that "story" in any of the secondary story or column of articles. Am I wrong (and probably old fashioned) to expect that a story in the "headline" part of a website should actually be a story, and not just a recap of a few guys speculating in a round table about what may or may not happen-should the news headline be for sports NEWS? (I realize "sports news" itself is sometimes called a Misnomer lol)

EDIT: I am aware that websites do this to get "hits"-though they usually hide the total topic until you click the link. I was probably naive to think that TSN didn't have to go the "speculation is headline news" route-guess that will teach me

Last edited by Tinalera: 10-09-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old
10-09-2013, 06:34 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

1. NHL Public Relations ‏@PR_NHL 4h
    October will see #HockeyFightsCancer Awareness Nights in all 30 NHL markets starting tonight in STL. Weekly schedule pic.twitter.com/5gnOGxZbQm

2. NHL Public Relations ‏@PR_NHL 4h
    The NHL & NHLPA will distribute more than $200,000 in grants to national/local cancer organizations in all 30 markets. #HockeyFightsCancer

Nice to see those funds going to good use.

Old
10-09-2013, 07:59 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=433752
NFL Washington owner letter to STH on respecting the "Redskins" name

Quote:
"I've listened carefully to the commentary and perspectives on all sides, and I respect the feelings of those who are offended by the team name," the letter states. "But I hope such individuals also try to respect what the name means, not only for all of us in the extended Washington Redskins family, but among Native Americans too."
"The name was never a label," Snyder's letter states. "It was, and continues to be, a badge of honour."

Old
10-09-2013, 09:53 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.echl.com/echl-to-particip...erence-p187686

Quote:
ECHL Commissioner Brian McKenna will represent the League at the Sixth Annual PrimeTime Sports Management Conference and Trade Show, to be held in Toronto on Monday, Nov. 12 and Tuesday, Nov. 13.

McKenna is scheduled to serve on a panel discussing issues affecting the operations of sports leagues, associations and federations on Tuesday morning. The panel will be moderated by Gord Miller, play-by-play announcer for The Sports Network. Other members of the panel are Dave Andrews, President and CEO of the American Hockey League; Steven Angel, Senior Vice President of League Operations and Officiating of the National Basketball Association; David Branch, President of the Canadian Hockey League and Commissioner of the Ontario Hockey League; George Daniel, Commissioner of the National Lacrosse League; and Tom Wright, Director of Operations of UFC Canada.

Old
10-09-2013, 10:35 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

On Thursday, Rogers Arena will welcome 25 millionth fan.

Old
10-10-2013, 04:18 AM
danishh

what if someone went twice?

Old
10-10-2013, 08:01 AM
Tinalera

Quote:
http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=433752
NFL Washington owner letter to STH on respecting the "Redskins" name
It doesn't surprise me really. Unless there was going to be some either order by a court or by the NFL, the name wasn't going to be changed if the owner has the final say.

Old
10-10-2013, 10:45 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Gadfly

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
what if someone went twice?

What if two people hit the turnstiles at the same time??

Old
10-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Tinalera

Quote:

Probably a t-shirt prize

"I became the Rogers Arena 25th Million fan and I all I got was this lousy t-shirt"

Old
10-10-2013, 11:25 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
Probably a t-shirt prize

"I became the Rogers Arena 25th Million fan and I all I got was this lousy t-shirt"

A bit more than that . Canucks season tickets (for a year, I'm guessing), plus tickets to every Live Nation concert (for a year). Among other prizes.

Old
10-10-2013, 11:41 AM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
It doesn't surprise me really. Unless there was going to be some either order by a court or by the NFL, the name wasn't going to be changed if the owner has the final say.
It will be really interesting to see what happens if the effort to strip the Redskins of Federal trademark protection succeeds, potentially allowing anyone to make "Washington Redskins" merchandise - it's unclear if that effort would only effect the name or the name/logos/colors etc.

Old
10-10-2013, 11:47 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

It's a big if, though. Don't see it succeeding.

Old
10-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
A bit more than that . Canucks season tickets (for a year, I'm guessing), plus tickets to every Live Nation concert (for a year). Among other prizes.
I should have put a sarcasm smiley-looking at it again, it could come across as being snarky/cynical about it-that wasn't the intent-I was merely saying as humor-so no disrespect meant to any fans

Those are pretty good prizes really

Old
10-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
It will be really interesting to see what happens if the effort to strip the Redskins of Federal trademark protection succeeds, potentially allowing anyone to make "Washington Redskins" merchandise - it's unclear if that effort would only effect the name or the name/logos/colors etc.
What would the NFL have to prove in order for that to be successful? Stripping something of trademark protection doesn't sound like something done easily or lightly.

Closed Thread