HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

BoH OT/Lounge I: New & Improved. Now with 95% less Phoenix.

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2013, 03:11 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
darrenrovell 11:38am via Web $ from national TV deal per NFL team: 1989 ($17.1M) vs 2013 (about $150M). 6.3% annual compound growth rate w/inflation.

darrenrovell 11:43am via Web
NFL's longest running sponsors: Gatorade (1983), Visa (1995), Campbell's Soup (1998), FedEx (2000), Frito Lay (2000).

$150m per team would cover most NHL team's annual expenses (so, tickets could be free, right? ).

Old
10-21-2013, 10:35 AM
Llama19

vCash: 50
Coyotes president tops meeting agenda

To quote:

"What do spring training, the Fiesta Bowl and NASCAR have in common?

They are all major sporting events in the West Valley, and that’s why “Welcome to the Big League” is the theme of this year’s Glendale Convention & Visitors Bureau annual meeting, slated to begin 8 a.m. Tuesday in University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale.

This year’s featured speaker will be Anthony LeBlanc, Phoenix Coyotes president and CEO.

LeBlanc will share his plans in building a successful franchise as well as discuss the role of the Canadian travel market and hockey tourism."

Source: http://yourwestvalley.com/glendale/a...9bb2963f4.html

Old
10-21-2013, 01:00 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=434673
NFL Titans owner Adams dies of natural causes.

(Here's hoping for orderly transfer of ownership)

Old
10-21-2013, 01:29 PM
wildthing202

Send a message via AIM to wildthing202 Send a message via Yahoo to wildthing202
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=434673
NFL Titans owner Adams dies of natural causes.

(Here's hoping for orderly transfer of ownership)
I kinda hoping it doesn't in that it spurs a "race" to LA between the Titans and Jaguars and ultimately forces the NFL to finally align the divisions properly by geography in the AFC at least.

Basically

East - Balt, Buf, NE, NYJ
North - Cin, Cle, Ind, Pit
South - Hou, Jack/Ten, KC, Mia
West - Den, LA, Oak, SD

2 down(MLB, EC NBA, AFC), 2 to go(NFC, NHL, WC NBA)

Old
10-21-2013, 02:33 PM
Llama19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
One new one that I noticed...

Jan 3, 2014 - Joel Osteen

However, Demi Lovato (Feb 15) was added prior to the GS announcement.
Looks like the Global Spectrum folks are 'splitting' venues...

Another night (US Airways Center Arena has the Sunday, Feb 9th event) has been added to the February Jobing.com Arena calendar...the Harlem Globetrotters!

Source: http://jobingarena.com/details.aspx?...path=undefined

Old
10-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Another night (US Airways Center Arena has the Sunday, Feb 9th event) has been added to the February Jobing.com Arena calendar...the Harlem Globetrotters!
Well its a start and as their head office is in Phoenix (or was, they were owned by Roy Disney but sold recently) good stuff. Though a bit "odd". The Globetrotters own website has them in Mississauga Ontario on that date along with Oklahoma City.... how many teams do they have? Very strange.

Old
10-21-2013, 03:01 PM
Llama19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Well its a start and as their head office is in Phoenix (or was, they were owned by Roy Disney but sold recently) good stuff. Though a bit "odd". The Globetrotters own website has them in Mississauga Ontario on that date along with Oklahoma City.... how many teams do they have? Very strange.
You are correct...there is definitely way too many...

Source:
US - http://www.harlemglobetrotters.com/f...e=4&country=us

CAN - http://www.harlemglobetrotters.com/f...y=ca&province=

And, not even looking at all of the other "teams" across the world.

Old
10-21-2013, 03:04 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
AIUI, the Globetrotters have up to three teams on tour - with ~400 events/year.

Old
10-21-2013, 03:53 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

HNIC Radio -- discussed something that the NHLPA might be in favor of...

If a player is knocked out of game due to injury, and the opponent player is given a game misconduct, allow the team with the injured player to dress a "health scratched" player (same position) to really give them a bigger advantage for the rest of the game.

It's allowed for injured goalies to be replaced during the playoffs.

That could be an interesting discussion of the competition committee in the future.

Old
10-21-2013, 06:54 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
HNIC Radio -- discussed something that the NHLPA might be in favor of...

If a player is knocked out of game due to injury, and the opponent player is given a game misconduct, allow the team with the injured player to dress a "health scratched" player (same position) to really give them a bigger advantage for the rest of the game.

It's allowed for injured goalies to be replaced during the playoffs.

That could be an interesting discussion of the competition committee in the future.
Interesting idea.

The chain make take a bigger direction: Allowing a scratched player, does the NHLPA then say "you need to allow one more roster spot"-does that lead to a "designated scratch" for each team? In turn, if one more roster spot, does an slight increase in the cap become permissable to allow that "extra" player. One would think that the scratch would have to be called down from the pressbox. I would HOPE that there would be enough class for a player not to "dive"-particularly a 3rd/4th line player, which in turn would effectively give the other team an advantage for the rest of the game.

Obviously lots of questions to be discussed. Players would go for it if it allowed one more "slot", Owners would go for it if it allowed a slight bump to the cap.

Now before it gets said "this would just be players who were already scratched, no need for an extra slot"-I would say in a logical, common sense form, you'd be right. However, the players could negotiate this as a way of getting a "permanent" extra spot on each team, and owners could finangle a cap bump possibly-this is about getting more "stuff", not about common sense

Old
10-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
AIUI, the Globetrotters have up to three teams on tour - with ~400 events/year.
Interesting. I had no idea.

Old
10-21-2013, 07:23 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Interesting. I had no idea.
From 12/26 through 12/28 they have 13 "games" in 9 cities in three days.

http://www.harlemglobetrotters.com/full-schedule

Old
10-21-2013, 11:15 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Gadfly

Quote:
Globetrotters have had more than one team touring for years. Originally a domestic and international team.... unless they had a special event overseas that required the domestic team to be there.

This is also not the first time they have played both USAir and jobing.com in the same year. They did both on back to back days about 4 years ago.

My wife knew the ticket sales manager for the Globetrotters when he was head of group sales for the Coyotes. He left the Yotes back in the first year following the BK filing, because he was starting a new family and there was too much uncertainly. Not sure of he's still there tho.

Old
10-21-2013, 11:24 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Gadfly

Quote:
Looks like the Global Spectrum folks are 'splitting' venues...

Source: http://jobingarena.com/details.aspx?...path=undefined

IIRC.... Global Spectrum does not operate US Airways.

Old
10-22-2013, 01:33 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.echl.com/opening-weekend-...r-game-p187970

ECHL attendance opening weekend up 7.9% from last season.

Old
10-22-2013, 11:15 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

NHLnlm 9:04am via TweetDeck This just arrived...@stanleycup popcorn maker. Available in stores now. pic.twitter.com/kibeH3ILwQ

OK, but is it available on shop.nhl.com?

Old
10-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Llama19

Summary of tweets from Anthony LeBlanc speaking at Glendale Convention & Visitors meeting this morning:
  • #Coyotes co-owner Anthony LeBlanc is speaking at the Glendale Convention & Visitors meeting. He's talking about the Detroit game.
  • #Coyotes' LaBlanc (sic) says the owners use ideas suggested by fans. Now he's talking about Canadian tourists.
  • #Coyotes' LaBlanc (sic) says metro Phoenix is the third largest city in Alberta during the winter. Says ticket prices will go up.
  • #Coyotes LaBlanc (sic) says average ticket price is $76. Prices are higher than $200 for Canadian teams.
  • Coyotes' LaBlanc (sic) says team may pair tickets to the premium games with tickets to the so-so games.
  • #Coyotes LeBlanc says team is exploring other ways to create Canadian attractions associated with games to draw Canadian fans.
  • #Coyotes LeBlanc at the Glendale CVB meeting.

Source: https://twitter.com/PaulGiblinAriz

Old
10-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Summary of tweets from Anthony LeBlanc speaking at Glendale Convention & Visitors meeting this morning:
  • #Coyotes co-owner Anthony LeBlanc is speaking at the Glendale Convention & Visitors meeting. He's talking about the Detroit game.
  • #Coyotes' LaBlanc (sic) says the owners use ideas suggested by fans. Now he's talking about Canadian tourists.
  • #Coyotes' LaBlanc (sic) says metro Phoenix is the third largest city in Alberta during the winter. Says ticket prices will go up.
  • #Coyotes LaBlanc (sic) says average ticket price is $76. Prices are higher than $200 for Canadian teams.
  • Coyotes' LaBlanc (sic) says team may pair tickets to the premium games with tickets to the so-so games.
  • #Coyotes LeBlanc says team is exploring other ways to create Canadian attractions associated with games to draw Canadian fans.
  • #Coyotes LeBlanc at the Glendale CVB meeting.

Were there other parts/context to the speech? Going simply tweets, it sounds like he talked about nothing but Canadians. I'm trying to find what I"m missing here in information-and would love to see more of a transcript. This is the second time I've seen comments about "Canadians" and marketing to them. Yes I understand there are Canadians in Arizona and Phoenix-but surely he's isn't JUST marketing to them-what about the "non Canadian" Arizonians?

I really don't know what to think otherwise-really trying to balance this in my head and ask what's the other side of the story. If someone has "the other side" as far as info to put what he said in context, can someone share it with me?

That aside, what I took out of said "tweets": sounds like he's preparing the fans for a not-insignificant price increase. That's to be expected, they need to raise prices to work more towards a profit. I thought the comment about it being the "third biggest Alberta city" was really not necessary if he did say it. Did fans really ask for "more Canadians to come and watch the games"?

I just want to know what I'm missing (and again I mean that literally, not in a "sneak an agenda in" kind of way )

Last edited by Tinalera: 10-22-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old
10-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Llama19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
Were there other parts/context to the speech? Going simply tweets, it sounds like he talked about nothing but Canadians. I'm trying to find what I"m missing here in information-and would love to see more of a transcript. This is the second time I've seen comments about "Canadians" and marketing to them. Yes I understand there are Canadians in Arizona and Phoenix-but surely he's isn't JUST marketing to them-what about the "non Canadian" Arizonians?

I really don't know what to think otherwise-really trying to balance this in my head and ask what's the other side of the story. If someone has "the other side" as far as info to put what he said in context, can someone share it with me?
See my original post #358.

Yeah, it appears the IceArizona organization is going about it from the wrong direction.

Anthony is speaking to the 'northern' flow, pretending he has inside knowledge to the Canadian migration that will somehow fill the arena with fans during hockey season.

[Is that how he sold himself to the CoG council that he is 'Mr. Canadian'?]

He doesn't have any intention, in my view, on leveraging any local fans, because historically, there hasn't been enough of them.

Old
10-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
See my original post #358.

Yeah, it appears the IceArizona organization is going about it from the wrong direction.

Anthony is speaking to the 'northern' flow, pretending he has inside knowledge to the Canadian migration that will somehow fill the arena with fans during hockey season.

[Is that how he sold himself to the CoG council that he is 'Mr. Canadian'?]

He doesn't have any intention, in my view, on leveraging any local fans, because historically, there hasn't been enough of them.

Thanks for the referral to your post-"Hockey tourism"

Again, I'd like to see something that points this as simply part of a larger plan (again hoping someone will give another side which I'm not seeing-to try and "balance" this).

Assuming this is a significant part of the plan (key word-assuming for the example), then I'd have to agree that trying to "grow" your fanbase through "hockey tourism"-while it may be thinking outside the box-IMO you're going to tick off your US fanbase who for the past 5 years has heard nothing but Canadians and moving the team'-and now you're trying to actually make that part of your business plan? Is he actually trying to push for tourist season ticket holders?

IF (again big IF) this is indeed the direction he wants to go, I don't agree with it-and certainly it doesn't help me fight against my own admitted bais that I don't trust Mr Leblanc, this isn't helping my own logical, rational push to balance the issue lol)

Does anyone have information that balances this that can balance the optics here?

Last edited by Tinalera: 10-22-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old
10-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Llama19

Quote:
IF (again big IF) this is indeed the direction he wants to go, I don't agree with it-and certainly it doesn't help me fight against my own admitted bais that I don't trust Mr Leblanc, this isn't helping my own logical, rational push to balance the issue lol)

Does anyone have information that balances this that can balance the optics here?
The only 'balance' Anthony is concerned with is with the 'financials.'

To quote:

"It's going to be an interesting night," Anthony LeBlanc [Ottawa Senator fan and 17 year season ticket holder] said, laughing. "Having said that, it's not going to be difficult, because finance trumps everything.""

Source: No Torn Allegiances for LeBlanc with Sens in Town

In my view, the IceArizona organization is in the 'flipping' business, not the 'hockey' business.

Old
10-22-2013, 02:05 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
The only 'balance' Anthony is concerned with is with the 'financials.'

To quote:

"It's going to be an interesting night," Anthony LeBlanc [Ottawa Senator fan and 17 year season ticket holder] said, laughing. "Having said that, it's not going to be difficult, because finance trumps everything.""

Source: No Torn Allegiances for LeBlanc with Sens in Town

In my view, the IceArizona organization is in the 'flipping' business, not the 'hockey' business.
That's the post that ended with me going on a mini confession on my thought processes and admitted bais

I said it in that confession-I don't trust Leblanc-admittedly I don't, I think he's going to screw the fans over in the end. Having said that, yes I'm TRYING to fight against that bais and balance things out and give him the benefit of the doubt. I've made comments about waiting out the season to see where we are-and it was suggested that my own "interpretation" of the "finance trumps all" was just that-me possibly reaching-and I have since said "okay, it was just me". Now this comes out and my bais rears it's head again, and I say to it "no, there's got to be more to this story, there's got to be a balance, I want to see the context of what was said"-because these comments are so superficially obvious-like the Yahoo "click the link for more info!" strategy kind of way-because the optics here say to me "we've given up on a US fanbase and are going to "import" our fans"-and the balancing part says "no, there HAS to be more here than I'm seeing."

So that's why I am waiting for someone to give me a counterbalance here on why this shouldn't be viewed with the optics it has-because frankly I don't see the defense of this (and that's not a "challenge", that's not an "arrogrant statement"-I meant that literally in a learning sense that *I* don't see the defense here-but if there is one I'm happy to hear it).

Old
10-22-2013, 02:12 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://centralhockeyleague.com/news/?article_id=10014

Quote:
The Central Hockey League (CHL) announced today that CHL team owners have reached an agreement with the Professional Hockey Players Association on a new Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) for the 2013-14 season. The agreement was ratified by CHL Owners and Players this week as the League embarks on the start of the 2013-14 regular season.
Many components of the deal are in line with the previous CBA and Owners of CHL clubs have made it a priority to look after the welfare of its players and their families.

“This was a difficult but thoughtful negotiation where the League and its Counsel worked with us to find solutions to common problems,” said PHPA Executive Director, Larry Landon. “We are happy to get this deal in place as our focus now turns to working with the new ownership group to continue building a stable and prosperous environment for owners and players alike.”

Don't see anything about when it expires.

Old
10-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Llama19

Quote:
That's the post that ended with me going on a mini confession on my thought processes and admitted bais

...Now this comes out and my bais rears it's head again, and I say to it "no, there's got to be more to this story, there's got to be a balance, I want to see the context of what was said"-because these comments are so superficially obvious-like the Yahoo "click the link for more info!" strategy kind of way-because the optics here say to me "we've given up on a US fanbase and are going to "import" our fans"-and the balancing part says "no, there HAS to be more here than I'm seeing."
Based on this tweet, Anthony appears to only see there isn't a local fan base to tap any longer...

To quote:

"#Coyotes LeBlanc says the reality is that metro-Phoenix is a tourist destination and Canadians are welcome at Coyotes games."

Wow...

Old
10-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Based on this tweet, Anthony appears to only see there isn't a local fan base to tap any longer...

To quote:

"#Coyotes LeBlanc says the reality is that metro-Phoenix is a tourist destination and Canadians are welcome at Coyotes games."

Wow...
The only thing right now I can think of to give him benefit of the doubt was that he was speaking at a Visitors meeting-a place where the forum was about increasing tourism and that the Yotes could be a part of that "tourism package" in that regard.

So the focus would technically be on visitors as opposed to US citizens, and how to increase that. Would have been nice to hear a shout out to US fans though, something along the lines of "Our US fanbase and tourists would be a great combination in sharing and spreading the word of Coyote hockey"

I'm not discounting what you're saying-just noting that it was at a function about tourism, so perhaps where he was meaning with it. Again though, I didn't like the constant references to Canadians only-why not Europeans as well? Sweden, Finland and other Northern European countries have strong hockey fanbases-why leave them out? (Yes I know they would be a much smaller group compared to Canadians, but I would think he could have said "We have a great fanbase in Canada, and Europe has a great hockey tradition, we'd love to push for these places to come to Arizona for Coyote hockey".

Last edited by Tinalera: 10-22-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Closed Thread