HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

BoH OT/Lounge I: New & Improved. Now with 95% less Phoenix.

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Killion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
Does anyone have information that balances this that can balance the optics here?
Taken or put into context as he was addressing a tourism & travel audience he merely addressed that issue as an adjunct to his more important priorities obviously in re-engaging the local market. I dont read into it anything more than that, that he's somehow based his projections & success on a transitory part-time consumer in Snowbirds from Alberta & or elsewhere. Yes their important but certainly not or at least I cant imagine would be any kind of major focus in his marketing, promotional & advertising campaigns. I think it was a more an introductory type speech or talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
In my view, the IceArizona organization is in the 'flipping' business, not the 'hockey' business.
Entirely possible. We should be able to get a pretty clear bead on that within 24mnths.

Quote:
Based on this tweet, Anthony appears to only see there isn't a local fan base to tap any longer... Wow...
I dont know that I agree with your conclusion in that regard Llama. I think more as I said above his chat was more focused, directed at the audience specifically, travel & tourism. Bit of a leap I think to take from his words that he believes the market the size of Phoenix is "tapped out". Though he's apparently spent a lot of time there over the past few years I dont think he's got the true measure of things, lay of the land. In fact almost premature bordering on arrogance to be opining on things when he's still got an awful lot of ground to cover in terms of his learning curve in running an NHL franchise & building. Hubris can only carry one so far. He's like the farm dog who caught the car; now what?

Last edited by Killion: 10-22-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old
10-22-2013, 03:47 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

globehockey 12:34pm via dlvr.it Hockey Canada wants to ensure merchandise made by ethical suppliers http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...medium=twitter

Quote:
The policy would apply to merchandise carrying the Hockey Canada logo, such as hockey sweaters, but also jackets, hoodies, caps, mittens, tuques and earmuffs.

And....

In Sochi, Team Canada will be wearing Nike gear produced in Canada, but replicas, available for sale to fans, will be made in Indonesia.

Old
10-22-2013, 04:06 PM
Killion

Quote:
"We have a great fanbase in Canada, and Europe has a great hockey tradition, we'd love to push for these places to come to Arizona for Coyote hockey".
Thats quite the reach there Tl. Its one thing to promote & advertise a game at thejob to Albertans, Minnesotans, New Yorkers or whatever who either live in the area part-time or are just visiting for a week-10 days when the Flames/Wild/Rangers are in town, quite another to be placing destination type ad's in the UK & in northern Europe with a view to enticing people to travel all the way to Arizona merely to catch a Coyotes game. I dont know what the demographic is in the greater Phoenix area of European Snowbirds but I cant imagine it being very substantial at all. Y'know, like Swedes from Copenhagen or Finn's from Helsinki etc with condo's in Scottsdale. Rather doubt it.... Even a co-op program with an airline & lets say a hotel, charter, overnighter, Flames or Canucks Roadtrip type dealeo, just not seeing it being at all lucrative in bringing fans down for 24-48hr periods. In fact, cost prohibitive and a nightmare logistically. A really bad joke when then their sitting there on the edge of over 5M inhabitants in the greater metro region. Flying people in to fill the joint? Thats just not on. I mean maybe deals with the hotels, resorts; like tent cards or door knockers on hotel rooms & suites advertising games but beyond that... n'uh.

Old
10-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Llama19

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
I dont know that I agree with your conclusion in that regard Llama. I think more as I said above his chat was more focused, directed at the audience specifically, travel & tourism. Bit of a leap I think to take from his words that he believes the market the size of Phoenix is "tapped out". Though he's apparently spent a lot of time there over the past few years I dont think he's got the true measure of things, lay of the land. In fact almost premature bordering on arrogance to be opining on things when he's still got an awful lot of ground to cover in terms of his learning curve in running an NHL franchise & building. Hubris can only carry one so far. He's like the farm dog who caught the car; now what?
Why this, of course...

Old
10-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Killion

Quote:
Why this, of course...
... ya. Only lose the straw hat & beat up old F-150. More Top hat or Bowler, Tesla Model S, Bentley or whatever.

Old
10-22-2013, 04:35 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Thats quite the reach there Tl. Its one thing to promote & advertise a game at thejob to Albertans, Minnesotans, New Yorkers or whatever who either live in the area part-time or are just visiting for a week-10 days when the Flames/Wild/Rangers are in town, quite another to be placing destination type ad's in the UK & in northern Europe with a view to enticing people to travel all the way to Arizona merely to catch a Coyotes game. I dont know what the demographic is in the greater Phoenix area of European Snowbirds but I cant imagine it being very substantial at all. Y'know, like Swedes from Copenhagen or Finn's from Helsinki etc with condo's in Scottsdale. Rather doubt it.... Even a co-op program with an airline & lets say a hotel, charter, overnighter, Flames or Canucks Roadtrip type dealeo, just not seeing it being at all lucrative in bringing fans down for 24-48hr periods. In fact, cost prohibitive and a nightmare logistically. A really bad joke when then their sitting there on the edge of over 5M inhabitants in the greater metro region. Flying people in to fill the joint? Thats just not on. I mean maybe deals with the hotels, resorts; like tent cards or door knockers on hotel rooms & suites advertising games but beyond that... n'uh.
Yea, I know, was just a suggestion. I do look at it now in the context of it being tourism gathering and I'm guessing he's promoting the Canada tourism (though I would think that Yotes fans have kind of heard enough about Canada the past 5 years ) as part of the package. The EU was a bit of a stretch I know lol.

He certainly is doing in things in a non-conventional manner-but if it ends at the end of the day with Yotes making more and solidifies them there, that's all that matters. Just have to adjust to the idea and simply see it as Leblanc taking different means to get there.

Thanks for the balance adjustment there K-just needed at the least to see things from another perspective

Old
10-22-2013, 04:38 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
globehockey 12:34pm via dlvr.it Hockey Canada wants to ensure merchandise made by ethical suppliers http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...medium=twitter

And....

In Sochi, Team Canada will be wearing Nike gear produced in Canada, but replicas, available for sale to fans, will be made in Indonesia.
The nature of the business I guess-would have been nice to see MIC replicas for fans.

Old
10-22-2013, 09:24 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
All the ad boards in Winnipeg are purple for Hockey Fights Cancer. Kind of neat looking.

Actually, flipped over to NBCSN and Minnesota has it too.

Old
10-23-2013, 12:35 AM
Llama19

Quote:
Why this, of course...

Quote:
... ya. Only lose the straw hat & beat up old F-150. More Top hat or Bowler, Tesla Model S, Bentley or whatever.
Is this more to your liking?

Old
10-23-2013, 12:43 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Is this more to your liking?

Let's hope he likes spotted dogs. He can be finicky.

Old
10-23-2013, 01:10 AM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Let's hope he likes spotted dogs. He can be finicky.
... Yep. I like spotted dogs, meme much better.

Old
10-23-2013, 01:36 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.iihf.com/nc/home-of-hocke...ecap/8198.html

353 refs and linesmen nominated for 2014 IIHF World Championship program.

Old
10-23-2013, 01:51 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Gadfly

Quote:
Taken or put into context as he was addressing a tourism & travel audience he merely addressed that issue as an adjunct to his more important priorities obviously in re-engaging the local market. I dont read into it anything more than that, that he's somehow based his projections & success on a transitory part-time consumer in Snowbirds from Alberta & or elsewhere. Yes their important but certainly not or at least I cant imagine would be any kind of major focus in his marketing, promotional & advertising campaigns. I think it was a more an introductory type speech or talk.

Entirely possible. We should be able to get a pretty clear bead on that within 24mnths.

Speaking of contexts....

The tweets above referred to as quotes from Anthony LeBlanc were actually those from Paul Giblin, a reporter for the Arizona Republic. And since Giblin was not placing them in quotes they should be considered his interpretation of LeBlanc's comments.

Killy.... you've pretty much got it. LeBlanc's goal right now is to get people through the doors at the arena. Considering the number of people who migrate here each winter does it not make sense to at least make the attempt to tap this market?? There are already many Coyotes STHs who come from that group. And this certainly is not an indicator that LeBlanc is abandoning any attempt in expanding the local fanbase.

Old
10-23-2013, 01:56 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Gadfly

Quote:
... Yep. I like spotted dogs, meme much better.

Throw a spotted human in too??

Old
10-23-2013, 02:18 AM
Dirty Old Man
Yotes still in AZ?

Quote:
...Swedes from Copenhagen ...
(Danish Coyote forward Mikkel Boedker would like a word with you...)

Old
10-23-2013, 07:03 AM
Mightygoose

NLL reaches a new CBA with their PA

http://www.tsn.ca/lacrosse/story/?id=434789

New changes are now increasing the number of games from 16 to 18.

Playoff format change. Now top 3 per division with #1 seed getting bye. A la CFL style just with no cross over.

Division semi remains sudden death but the division final and chanpionship is now a 2 game series. If each side wins a game each, a 10 minute overtime period is played though it's not clear if that's sudden death.

Old
10-23-2013, 09:23 AM
Llama19

Tim Horton’s at Phoenix Coyotes games? Team CEO wants to draw more Canadian snowbirds, tourists

To quote:

"For the last four years Canadians have been hoping to poach the Phoenix Coyotes out of Arizona and move them to Quebec City, Hamilton or some other market north of the border.

Now, the Coyotes' new owners see Canadian snowbirds and tourists as a key to the team’s bottom-line success in Glendale.

“They have snow. We don’t,” LeBlanc said at a Glendale CVB breakfast at the University of Phoenix Stadium."

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/m....html?page=all

Old
10-23-2013, 09:35 AM
Llama19

Ice-skating rinks’ futures uncertain

To quote:

"Polar Ice skating rinks in Chandler, Gilbert and Peoria are facing an uncertain future after years of financial instability, sparking concern among Valley skaters who fear they may be left without a place to practice and play.

The three rinks, which account for about half the playing ice in metro Phoenix, have been in receivership for several months after the owner, Spiral Inc., fell into default."

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...uncertain.html

Now, wouldn't it be great PR for the IceArizona organization to swoop in and buy and manage these rinks to grow the fan base?

Old
10-23-2013, 11:40 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Now, wouldn't it be great PR for the IceArizona organization to swoop in and buy and manage these rinks to grow the fan base?
Yes. And building one and taking over/managing two is how the Sharks have their "Sharks Ice" empire .

Old
10-23-2013, 01:34 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

EyeOnHockey 10:29am via HootSuite Linesmen to start breaking up fights when players remove helmets. So much for a loophole cbsprt.co/1djl64W

Old
10-23-2013, 01:43 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
EyeOnHockey 10:29am via HootSuite Linesmen to start breaking up fights when players remove helmets. So much for a loophole cbsprt.co/1djl64W
I noted with some interest they would break it up "if the situation was safe enough to do so"-sounds like discretion will be left to the refs (I don't blame them, I sure as heck wouldn't want to put myself between haymakers).

Though does this mean that players who rip off the helmets will now just "go at it" immediately, thus negating the "safety" factor?

Old
10-23-2013, 01:48 PM
Llama19

Quote:
I noted with some interest they would break it up "if the situation was safe enough to do so"-sounds like discretion will be left to the refs (I don't blame them, I sure as heck wouldn't want to put myself between haymakers).

Though does this mean that players who rip off the helmets will now just "go at it" immediately, thus negating the "safety" factor?
Referees wear helmets, too, but still get punched in a scrum situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp3XfT67uPY

Old
10-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Llama19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Speaking of contexts....

The tweets above referred to as quotes from Anthony LeBlanc were actually those from Paul Giblin, a reporter for the Arizona Republic. And since Giblin was not placing them in quotes they should be considered his interpretation of LeBlanc's comments.

Killy.... you've pretty much got it. LeBlanc's goal right now is to get people through the doors at the arena. Considering the number of people who migrate here each winter does it not make sense to at least make the attempt to tap this market?? There are already many Coyotes STHs who come from that group. And this certainly is not an indicator that LeBlanc is abandoning any attempt in expanding the local fanbase.
West Valley: 3rd-largest city in Alberta, Canada

To quote:

"The key for the Coyotes, [Anthony] LeBlanc said, is to target those who visit the Valley or who spend their winters here and come from places with rich hockey histories.

“We need to get those people to start viewing the Coyotes as their second-favorite team,” he said. “The Flames are in town. I don’t care if fans from Calgary come and cheer for the Flames as long as I get two things from them: One, they buy a ticket; and two, they think about coming back when the Flames aren’t in town.”"

Source: http://yourwestvalley.com/glendale/a...9bb2963f4.html

Last edited by Llama19: 10-23-2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Added another quote
Old
10-23-2013, 02:53 PM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post
(Danish Coyote forward Mikkel Boedker would like a word with you...)
... oops. Make that Stockholm.

Old
10-23-2013, 03:31 PM
wpgallday1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Speaking of contexts....

Anything to back up this claim?

Closed Thread