HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

BoH OT/Lounge I: New & Improved. Now with 95% less Phoenix.

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2013, 07:23 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
CSN Chicago now with virtual ads between the blue lines and the faceoff circles, to go along with ones behind the nets.

Old
09-19-2013, 09:21 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
CSN Chicago now with virtual ads between the blue lines and the faceoff circles, to go along with ones behind the nets.

We have to get revenues to $4 billion. Jerseys are the last sacred cow.

Old
09-19-2013, 09:27 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...give-back.html

Firefighter as a teenager (during the summer), Phoenix's Tippett organizes intersquad game to benefit "the families of the 19 Granite Mountain Hotshots firefighters who died battling the Yarnell Hill fire June 30."

Nice.
$160,000 raised

Old
09-19-2013, 10:57 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
81.4 Line Change on Icing - A team that is in violation of this rule shall not be permitted to make any player substitutions prior to the ensuing face-off. Should the stoppage of play following the icing infraction coincide with a commercial time-out, or should the offending team elect to utilize their team time-out at this stoppage of play, they are still not permitted to make any player substitutions. However, a team shall be permitted to make a player substitution to replace a goalkeeper who had been substituted for an extra attacker, to replace an injured player, or when a penalty has been assessed which affects the on-ice strength of either team. The determination of players on ice will be made when the puck leaves the offending player’s stick.

Interesting question... I assume the team would try to classify Domi as an "injured" player so he could go to the dressing room and take care of things or even call a time out maybe ( if that would be enough time for Domi ). I can't imagine the ref would not allow Domi to go to the room if he was in distress.
The timeout doesn't allow a replacement.... that full quote reads "should the offending team elect to utilize their team time-out at this stoppage of play, they are still not permitted to make any player substitutions." But yeah, I doubt there's a ref in the world who wouldn't allow such a injury substitution.

Old
09-19-2013, 11:16 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
We have to get revenues to $4 billion. Jerseys are the last sacred cow.
CSN revenue wouldn't count toward league revenues, though.

Old
09-19-2013, 11:20 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
CSN revenue wouldn't count toward league revenues, though.

Depends on the structure of the Hawks deal with CSN perhaps?

As an aside, do you know the current term and what the Hawks get?

Old
09-19-2013, 11:25 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Depends on the structure of the Hawks deal with CSN perhaps?

As an aside, do you know the current term and what the Hawks get?
I heard at 1 point, during discussion of a Cubs network the Hawks would potentially move to that it runs through 2019. Not sure what they make from it.

Old
09-20-2013, 01:21 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
The timeout doesn't allow a replacement.... that full quote reads "should the offending team elect to utilize their team time-out at this stoppage of play, they are still not permitted to make any player substitutions." But yeah, I doubt there's a ref in the world who wouldn't allow such a injury substitution.
However.... taking the timeout would give Max Domi enough time to do a blood sugar check and take the necessary action to adjust the levels.

IIRC... he carries an insulin pack on him that can dose him on the spot. And if it's the opposite condition (low sugar) he can take in what nutrients he needs via a sports drink or otherwise.

Anyway.... it was a question my daughter had that made me curious as well.

Old
09-20-2013, 01:39 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
However.... taking the timeout would give Max Domi enough time to do a blood sugar check and take the necessary action to adjust the levels.
Timeouts are 30 seconds.

Can a person really check blood sugar and adjust levels in 30 seconds (including the time to get to/from bench)?

Old
09-20-2013, 01:55 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
IIRC... he carries an insulin pack on him that can dose him on the spot. And if it's the opposite condition (low sugar) he can take in what nutrients he needs via a sports drink or otherwise.
Prolly has it all dialed in TL. Bobby Clarke was told to retire, quit at 18 what with Diabetes. First training camp with the Flyers he actually passed out on the ice. Fortunately the teams Trainer devised a concoction of orange juice & coke adding sugar, while keeping chocolate bars at the ready throughout his career otherwise who knows? Always kept himself in shape, one of the few who reported in 72 as a member of Team Canada game ready.

Old
09-20-2013, 03:58 AM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

They have wearable Insulin pumps, fully automated, distributed meds as needed 24/7, won't even be an issue. Although, he might have trouble getting through airport security wearing it without a doctors prescription. Electronics attached to belt and wires connected to torso, so it looks scary on x-ray.

*edit* woo-hoo, here for thee premiere lounge thread

Last edited by wunderpanda: 09-20-2013 at 04:07 AM.
Old
09-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Glacial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
Anthony LeBlanc ‏@anthonydleblanc
6000+ for a #Coyotes scrimmage raising $165K for the Yarnell families. Will this stop the questions about fan support? It should!

Source: https://twitter.com/anthonydleblanc

I do applaud the donations for this special event and its specific purpose.

Will this one event stop the questions about fan support?

Give it time, Anthony...it's a l-o-n-g five-years...
Have the D'backs, Cardinals done any public efforts for Yarnell victims too? (Suns I assume it might be a bit too early as the NBA tends to be like, 2 weeks behind the NHL in their schedule)

Old
09-20-2013, 09:50 AM
Glacial

Quote:
Here's one for the rules junkies out there.....

During the scrimmage last night my daughter and I were talking about the Yotes' new top draft pick Max Domi and how he has type 1 diabetes.

I've read where he regularly manages it during a game, but she was wondering what would happen if Max needed to come off the ice because he began to feel nauseous or sensed he needed to check his blood levels.... but there was an icing call. Would he be forced to stay out there, or is there a provision that would allow him to be taken off, or given time to stabilize himself???
Yeah, you would imagine there would be rules in place or policies to account for medical conditions. Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler has diabetes. Can't remember what he said to how he handles playing with it though. A few MLB players had/have it, though they have time inbetween innings and when their team is batting they can have time to take care of things.

Old
09-20-2013, 10:43 AM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
Have the D'backs, Cardinals done any public efforts for Yarnell victims too? (Suns I assume it might be a bit too early as the NBA tends to be like, 2 weeks behind the NHL in their schedule)
But of course...just a couple of articles:

Diamondbacks to honor victims of Yarnell wildfire
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/diamo...rnell-wildfire

Arizona Diamondbacks Foundation pledges additional $100,000 to victims of Yarnell fire
http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/...r_ari&c_id=ari

Cardinals contribute to Yarnell fire assistance
http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/nfl/...blockID=917179

Old
09-20-2013, 12:01 PM
DirtyOldMan
Yotes still in AZ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
I think the Diamondbacks all came out wearing Yarnell 19 jerseys. I would be shocked, since it happened during their season, if they haven't done something.

in fact... http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...r_ari&c_id=ari

Old
09-20-2013, 05:46 PM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
Fan-built Edmonton Oilers LEGO arena is incredible, including Gretzky statue (Video)

To quote:

"...LEGO project of a fan-created new Edmonton Oilers arena is a different kind of awesome.

“Brick Arena” was created by Red Deer’s Joel Cadieux and his children – Noah, 10, Dallis, eight, Elijah, seven and Davis, four – using 15,000 bricks..."

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...1567--nhl.html

Old
09-21-2013, 02:14 AM
Mork

Send a message via ICQ to Mork
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Timeouts are 30 seconds.

Can a person really check blood sugar and adjust levels in 30 seconds (including the time to get to/from bench)?
Type II diabetic here.

The answer is categorically "no".

He could possibly test his blood sugar within 30 seconds, but that is about all.
If he is Type I, he is most likely insulin-dependent, and could very easily use an insulin pump. However, I'm very doubtful that a pro hockey player would wear an insulin pump during the course of a game.

In any event, insulin-dependent or not, it is much more likely that any blood-sugar problem during the course of a game would be hypoglycemia, which calls for the ingestion of sugar, rather than hyperglycemia, which calls for exercise, insulin, or blood-sugar-lowering medication. Either way, it would be difficult if not impossible to effectively manipulate blood-sugar levels within the space of a time-out.

This is the kind of thing that is much more likely to be dealt with on the bench between shifts, or in the dressing room between periods.

The most likely situation is low blood sugar caused by excessive exertion, in which case the player would likely measure blood-sigar levels and eat an energy bar or some other high calorie snack.

Its pretty difficult to imagine any player doing this on the ice during a stoppage in play in front of 20,000 cheering fans.

Last edited by Mork: 09-21-2013 at 02:29 AM.
Old
09-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Tinalera

That really is an intriguing situation with the diabetes and what would happen in that scenario. Here's hoping it never has to come up in a game-I would THINK that the refs would err on the side of caution and take the criticism rather than chance something horrible happening.

Old
09-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

From LadyStanley's Perpetual Motion Post-Generating Machine:

FriedgeHNIC: Answering a couple of repeated twitter questions: Sabres do not sell rink-board advertising during preseason. Different look, for sure.

Old
09-22-2013, 07:30 AM
Tinalera

Yea, the junior team in our area is like that-very little signage during preseason-which actually isn't bad, looks "old school" as it were-the signs will be there come regular season though obviously.

Old
09-22-2013, 03:38 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...=rss-uhrmacher

Another example of growing the game at the grass roots: Pittsburgh Penguins give out more than 18k tickets to youth groups for pre-season game, e.g., school teams, college groups, school groups, scouts, boys & girls clubs.

Old
09-22-2013, 04:07 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork View Post
Type II diabetic here.

The answer is categorically "no".

He could possibly test his blood sugar within 30 seconds, but that is about all.
If he is Type I, he is most likely insulin-dependent, and could very easily use an insulin pump. However, I'm very doubtful that a pro hockey player would wear an insulin pump during the course of a game.

In any event, insulin-dependent or not, it is much more likely that any blood-sugar problem during the course of a game would be hypoglycemia, which calls for the ingestion of sugar, rather than hyperglycemia, which calls for exercise, insulin, or blood-sugar-lowering medication. Either way, it would be difficult if not impossible to effectively manipulate blood-sugar levels within the space of a time-out.

This is the kind of thing that is much more likely to be dealt with on the bench between shifts, or in the dressing room between periods.

The most likely situation is low blood sugar caused by excessive exertion, in which case the player would likely measure blood-sigar levels and eat an energy bar or some other high calorie snack.

Its pretty difficult to imagine any player doing this on the ice during a stoppage in play in front of 20,000 cheering fans.
cory conacher is type-I and wears an insulin pump i believe. I dont think he wears it while playing though, just off the ice.

09-22-2013, 04:09 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
anyone here about the potential dish-ESPN standoff brewing? Apparently the deadline is september 30th. Imagine a network actually pulling ESPN over their ridiculous subscriber fees.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
anyone here about the potential dish-ESPN standoff brewing? Apparently the deadline is september 30th. Imagine a network actually pulling ESPN over their ridiculous subscriber fees.
I don't know much about it, but that would take some serious chutzpah to pull ESPN off the system. Only way I think they would do that is if they felt they had their subscribers behind them on it, so as not to have a mass exodus.

Old
09-22-2013, 06:07 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
I don't know much about it, but that would take some serious chutzpah to pull ESPN off the system. Only way I think they would do that is if they felt they had their subscribers behind them on it, so as not to have a mass exodus.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...504795324.html

Quote:
Dish's agreement to carry ESPN, the highest profile and most expensive of the national sports channels, expires at the end of September. Dish and ESPN's majority-owner Walt Disney Co are now in negotiations on a renewal for the agreement, which dates back to 2005.

The talks will also address the fees Dish must pay to carry Disney's other channels, including ABC broadcast stations. As a result, the negotiations will likely revolve around some the pay-TV industry's most contentious issues—broadcast fees and sports costs—even more than Time Warner Cable Inc.'s battle with CBS Corp., which ended just Monday after a monthlong blackout.

Mr. Ergen last month already hinted at his willingness to use what some might see as the nuclear option—going without Disney's channels permanently. "Disney is not going to go out of business without Dish Network and vice versa," he told analysts on a conference call.

He added that, taking a "really long-term view," a pay-TV provider could offer TV service without sports channels. "We're prepared to go either way," he added. Dish will try to strike a deal "with Disney that makes sense for our customers." But "if we don't get that deal, we'll part ways."

The stakes are high for both. ESPN and its suite of channels now generate $7.2 billion a year in subscription fees, according to Needham Insights, and are the biggest component of the cable networks unit that generated two-thirds of Disney's operating income in the quarter ended June 29. Dish is the third biggest pay-TV operator, with 14 million subscribers, equivalent to 14% of the homes that currently receive ESPN. ESPN already has agreements in place with seven of the top 10 distributors.

A blackout of any length would be a major challenge when ESPN is already dealing with sagging ratings and competition from the recent launch of 21st Century Fox's new 24-hour sports channel Fox Sports 1, not to mention competition from Comcast Corp.'s NBC Sports and CBS Corp. (21st Century Fox until June was part of the same company as Wall Street Journal parent company News Corp.)

Dropping ESPN would be a tough call for Mr. Ergen. In a survey by Lazard Capital Markets, 35% of respondents said they would cancel their pay-TV service or switch providers if ESPN weren't in the lineup. "No one is going to be a meaningful player in this industry without carrying ESPN," Lazard analyst Barton Crockett said.

Dish, which has already struggled to retain video subscribers in recent quarters, would be especially hurt by accelerated pay- TV cancellations, as it doesn't also sell voice or broadband services competitive with rival cable and phone companies.

Mr. Ergen has played down the long-term negative impact of dropping sports channels. Disney accounts for a "disproportionate share" of Dish's programming costs—well over 40%—but less than 20% of viewing minutes, he told analysts last year. By dropping a sports channel, a pay-TV provider could have a "materially lower price for customers and while they'll lose customers initially, they will gain customers long term," he said last month.

Closed Thread