HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

BoH OT/Lounge I: New & Improved. Now with 95% less Phoenix.

Closed Thread

Old
09-23-2013, 01:11 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
reporterchris 10:59pm via iOS On the brawl between the #leafs and #sabres, and how it complicates Toronto's salary cap situation: sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/joh…

And more headaches to get under the cap for the season start.

(But rules are rules....)

Old
09-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
thanks kdb

They must be weighing the options here-if 35 percent are saying they'd drop dish if ESPN was dropped, do they weigh how much they may pick up in new subscribers with Fox1/NBCSN and related channels?

Otherwise it means keeping ESPN but then telling people "your cable bill is going up"-the wonder is how much percentage will drop dish at that point saying "thanks but no thanks".

An interesting game of chicken.

Old
09-23-2013, 02:50 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

While a bit more OT than it was maybe a few years ago ...

Fairfax sets floor for BlackBerry with $4.7 billion offer

BlackBerry Reaches $4.7 Billion Deal to Go Private

A Deal for BlackBerry That’s Not Yet a Deal

Last edited by kdb209: 09-23-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old
09-23-2013, 03:06 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
reporterchris 10:59pm via iOS On the brawl between the #leafs and #sabres, and how it complicates Toronto's salary cap situation: sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/joh…

And more headaches to get under the cap for the season start.

(But rules are rules....)
Quote:
The cap hits of suspended players remain on a team’s books, so the fill-ins will likely come from the lower range of Toronto’s payroll. Carter Ashton ($1.04 million) and Joe Colborne ($600,000) are obvious choices – both played well Sunday before all hell broke loose – while Trevor Smith ($550,000) and Troy Bodie ($600,000) could also be called on.
While this seems to contradict the CBA -
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA Article 50.10(c)
(c) For Players that are suspended, either by a Club or by the League, the Player
Salary and Bonuses that are not paid to such Players shall not count against a Club's Upper Limit
or against the Players' Share for the duration of the suspension, but the Club must have Payroll
Room for such Player's Player Salary and Bonuses in order for such Player to be able to return to
Play for the Club.
I was pointed to this note on Capgeek:

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-do-su...affect-the-cap

Quote:
The salary of a player suspended for an on-ice incident continues to count against a team's cap. This was confirmed in September 2011 by Bill Daly, NHL deputy commissioner and chief legal officer, to BroadStreetHockey.com, clarifying a common misinterpretation of what is written in Exhibit 8 of the CBA in Section 5, P. 270, and in Section 50.10-c, P. 226.

Although the CBA says salary and bonuses that are not paid to suspended players do not count against the cap, Daly clarified that the forfeited salary is still paid, albeit to the Emergency Assistant Fund. "By agreement of the NHL and NHLPA, the player's full salary continues to count against the team's cap," Daly told the website.

Old
09-23-2013, 06:06 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
the union/non-union of the chl has unveiled it's 'proposal' for an education fund. Basically amounts to a $1.50 ticket surcharge on all tickets plus additional revenues from hockey canada, memorial cup, etc, to be negotiated later.

https://www.facebook.com/thechlpa/posts/572088886160089

yes... that is an official union document. Supposedly.

09-23-2013, 06:16 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=432606

London's Wembley Stadium is ready (and willing) to host NFL team (as a regular tenant, full season), not just 1-2 season opening games.

Old
09-23-2013, 07:44 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=432606

London's Wembley Stadium is ready (and willing) to host NFL team (as a regular tenant, full season), not just 1-2 season opening games.
While it's may have never been officially stated, I think that's been kinda known for awhile. The FA wants as many events there as possible. For instance, when the 1st one stood it typically didn't host FA Cup semifinals. You had to get to the Final to get to Wembley, except for a few odd years it was there. But since the new one was finished the semis will always be there now.

Old
09-23-2013, 11:32 PM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
Glendale Voting 09-24-13 to Spend $61K on AMA Services

EXPENDITURE AUTHORIZATION FOR PAYMENT TO DICKINSON WRIGHT MARISCAL WEEKS FOR PROFESSIONAL SERVICES

To quote:

"The City of Glendale engaged the law firm of Dickinson Wright Mariscal Weeks for professional legal services relating to the arena management agreement, which was approved by Council on July 2, 2013. The agreement has the effect of keeping the National Hockey League’s (NHL) Coyotes playing at the city-owned Jobing.com Arena in Glendale. The agreement allows for IceArizona Acquisition, a company owned by Renaissance Sports & Entertainment Group (RSE), to use and manage the arena as the new owner of the Coyotes team.

Dickinson Wright Mariscal Weeks provided legal advice and services relating to the Coyote documents with the goal of protecting the city’s best interest relating to this matter. The services rendered through July 31, 2013 total $60,565.45."

Source: http://www.glendaleaz.com/clerk/agen.../092413-13.pdf

Really, protecting whom?

Last edited by Llama19: 09-23-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old
09-23-2013, 11:41 PM
saskganesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
the union/non-union of the chl has unveiled it's 'proposal' for an education fund. Basically amounts to a $1.50 ticket surcharge on all tickets plus additional revenues from hockey canada, memorial cup, etc, to be negotiated later.

I don't know how official it is, but regardless it reflects quite poorly.

Check out the Sept 20 post about David Branch

Old
09-24-2013, 01:53 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskganesh View Post
I don't know how official it is, but regardless it reflects quite poorly.

Check out the Sept 20 post about David Branch
Quote:
Let's see what that lying, moustached sack of **** has to ******** about today... Branch said that concussion numbers have dropped in the OHL in recent years, that "categorically, they are down", but a study published this summer by Laura Donaldson, Mark Asbridge and Michael Cusimano suggested that total reported concussions in the OHL haven't dropped since 2010.

hahaha. wow.

Old
09-24-2013, 03:18 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
EXPENDITURE AUTHORIZATION FOR PAYMENT TO DICKINSON WRIGHT MARISCAL WEEKS FOR PROFESSIONAL SERVICES

To quote:

"The City of Glendale engaged the law firm of Dickinson Wright Mariscal Weeks for professional legal services relating to the arena management agreement, which was approved by Council on July 2, 2013. The agreement has the effect of keeping the National Hockey League’s (NHL) Coyotes playing at the city-owned Jobing.com Arena in Glendale. The agreement allows for IceArizona Acquisition, a company owned by Renaissance Sports & Entertainment Group (RSE), to use and manage the arena as the new owner of the Coyotes team.

Dickinson Wright Mariscal Weeks provided legal advice and services relating to the Coyote documents with the goal of protecting the city’s best interest relating to this matter. The services rendered through July 31, 2013 total $60,565.45."

Source: http://www.glendaleaz.com/clerk/agen.../092413-13.pdf

Really, protecting whom?
So???

They spent a half million for an external audit that told them exactly the same thing the internal audit did.

We're making dog food here....

Old
09-24-2013, 07:23 AM
Shawa666

vCash: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post

The famous union that has no members?

Those guys are clowns.

Old
09-24-2013, 11:39 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

TVbytheNumbers 9:26am via TV by the Numbers NBC's Four NFL Games This Season Are the Only Primetime Shows on Any Network to Draw 20 Million Viewers http://t.co/ziw4U9qHBb

Old
09-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
TVbytheNumbers 9:26am via TV by the Numbers NBC's Four NFL Games This Season Are the Only Primetime Shows on Any Network to Draw 20 Million Viewers http://t.co/ziw4U9qHBb
From a media standpoint, that's fascinating. Are we seeing more effects of "narrowcasting" in media, where it continues to divide up smaller and smaller "interest groups" as more channels/genres hit the air? NFL seems to be-going by these numbers anyway-one of the few "unifying" regular programs that gets such a group together.

Old
09-24-2013, 12:43 PM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

vCash: 204
What the fu...nky swaggles is going on in this thread!?

Welcome back Glendale, LONG LIVE THE MEGATHREAD!

Old
09-24-2013, 12:54 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post
What the fu...nky swaggles is going on in this thread!?

Welcome back Glendale, LONG LIVE THE MEGATHREAD!
Be careful , this ISNT the megathread, it's OT/BoH where we can all discuss whatever (hence the "funky-ness")-we're trying to lay off the Yotes for a while and just discuss whatever comes to mind

Old
09-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Mightygoose

vCash: 514
Looks like the 2016 NBA All Star game is heading to Toronto

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=432655

First one to be held outside the US..not like there's any other viable options

Old
09-24-2013, 03:10 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Looks like the 2016 NBA All Star game is heading to Toronto

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=432655

First one to be held outside the US..not like there's any other viable options
Interesting mention in the article about Liewenke (I can't spell his name lol) coming out and saying it was an important part of the "rebrand"-which seems to confirm even more the Raps going through a rebranding-whether they change the name or not, hard to say, but a definite makeover will probably be in the works.

Old
09-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Mightygoose

vCash: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
Interesting mention in the article about Liewenke (I can't spell his name lol) coming out and saying it was an important part of the "rebrand"-which seems to confirm even more the Raps going through a rebranding-whether they change the name or not, hard to say, but a definite makeover will probably be in the works.
Yeah, a rebrand is overdue IMO. I'm hoping the uniforms change to blue being Toronto's colour. Don't think the rest of the country embraces them as 'Canada's team' in large part. If they go with a new name, I've always had a soft spot for Huskies!

Old
09-25-2013, 10:25 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.tsn.ca/olympics/story/?id=432716

Sochi in state of emergency after torrential rain. No word (in this article) about damage to any of the Olympic venues, but many roads were impacted, and some housing.

Old
09-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Sochi in state of emergency...
Yikes. Ive just got a baaad feeling about these games. Surely do hope Im wrong.

Old
09-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Yikes. Ive just got a baaad feeling about these games. Surely do hope Im wrong.
You're not the only one I've heard/read that from across the interwebz. Seems between the allegations of corruption, possible questionable building quality and now this storm adding to it, there are those who believe that this Olympics maybe memorable for all the wrong reasons.

Old
09-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Yeah, a rebrand is overdue IMO. I'm hoping the uniforms change to blue being Toronto's colour. Don't think the rest of the country embraces them as 'Canada's team' in large part. If they go with a new name, I've always had a soft spot for Huskies!
I personally would love to see Huskies as the tribute to history as well the association with Canada/winter-I just don't think it's going to happen, I think Raptors will stick-though they if they wanted to get intellectual, "Raptor" is defined as a bird of prey, and would be neat to see a daring take on that-but with a team like the Hawks already in the NBA, and people associating it with the dinosaur, they probably wouldn't chance it.

Also agree with the blue colour as per the rest of the Toronto teams

Old
09-25-2013, 02:42 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
Also agree with the blue colour as per the rest of the Toronto teams

Old
09-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Funny you mention it for 2 reasons:

1 when typing my post I was thinking of TFC as the exception, and meant to say something, but got distracted by other things (that's my story and I'm sticking to it lol).

The second thing which I pondered-if the Raps do get a Blue/White look, I'd be almost willing to bet money that Liewenke will do a TFC rebrand as well, and they too will get a blue/white look-yes I know Impact already has the blue white, I could see TFC getting a "double blue" type of look-particularly if the speculation that the Argos could end up at BMO (assuming they get bought by MLSE)-so you'd have both BMO teams in the "double blue"

and the third thing, and I don't really mean to sound mean-but TFC has been SUCH a pathetic team performance wise since their founding, that really I actually had to THINK about them being a Toronto "Professional Sports Team"

That's not hate, and it's not meant to be mean, but it can't be denied that previous ownership has turned TFC into a laughing stock.

Closed Thread