Notices

Disappointing New on the Boynton Front

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2003, 05:56 AM
Ratty

vCash: 500
Disappointing New on the Boynton Front

Following what appeared to be positive news from the ProJo on a Boynton signing, comes a report in today's Herald from Stephen Harris which does not portend well.

According to Harris, the two sides are one million dollars apart. He quates O'Connell as insisting that Boynton will not be traded, thus forcing the issue. Either Boynton plays for the Bruins price, or a reasonable facsimile thereof, or he sits.

Okie distinguishes this case from that of McLaren, Allison and Carter, all of whom were camp holdouts and were traded to teams that gave them they money they were seeking.

Let's all hope, in light of the poor camp showing by our defence, that Nicky sees his way to make ends meet with 1.5 mil a year for two years.

Old
09-28-2003, 06:21 AM
neelynugs

1 million isn't that much- i'm not concerned right now. boynton wants 2 million per year, the b's are offering 1.5. the fact is, OC said he can massage this, and i believe both sides will get together and make it work. this is no mike comrie situation, even if boynton and his agent are tough negotiators. i think you'll see nick in camp by the end of the week.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:00 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Boynton is an idiot. I'm sick of these players. I can't wait until they get locked out, the greedy ******.....

Old
09-28-2003, 07:05 AM
Duguay

I'd expect to see him in the lineup opening night

With Nick injured, I believe his agent advised him that there was no sense in rushing the contract; but possibly more $cents$ by not (if you know what I mean).

He should be in the lineup opening night. In fact, other than a couple of contentious holdouts, like Comrie and Gaborik, all RFA's will be advised by their agents to sign in light of the unique season we're about to enter.

Both sides are privately preparing to ditch 2004/05, and who wants to stay out of action for 2 seasons (worst case).

Old
09-28-2003, 07:29 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duguay
With Nick injured, I believe his agent advised him that there was no sense in rushing the contract; but possibly more $cents$ by not (if you know what I mean).

He should be in the lineup opening night. In fact, other than a couple of contentious holdouts, like Comrie and Gaborik, all RFA's will be advised by their agents to sign in light of the unique season we're about to enter.

Both sides are privately preparing to ditch 2004/05, and who wants to stay out of action for 2 seasons (worst case).
you don't start a pissing contest over less than a million (prorated approx 500,000) when you have about 10 or more years ahead of you and untold millions. Amazingly, Boynton could pull in some $30 to 50 mil over the life of his career if he plays healthy and at the level he's already shown. I'd keep it out of the gutter and 'bend a bit' and meet close to the middle (which is probably where they want anyways- my take is he wants about $1.75- $3.5 two year deal);

REMEMBER ONCE THEY START PLAYING HE LOSES MONEY- so on Wednesday he signs for probably two years at about $3.3 or 3.4 total.
If he holds out as of Thursday night Harry will see to it that its prorated and Thun knows this- it would get nasty and Boynton wont win, wont get traded, and will get less.

My money is on Boynton signed

Old
09-28-2003, 08:18 AM
BruinsGirl

I would give Nick money he wants (upto $2 mil) instead of trying to sign Berard...he is an important piece to build around...

Old
09-28-2003, 09:04 AM
Ch 4 Action News

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
you don't start a pissing contest over less than a million (prorated approx 500,000) when you have about 10 or more years ahead of you and untold millions. Amazingly, Boynton could pull in some $30 to 50 mil over the life of his career if he plays healthy and at the level he's already shown. I'd keep it out of the gutter and 'bend a bit' and meet close to the middle (which is probably where they want anyways- my take is he wants about $1.75- $3.5 two year deal);
Thing is, like so many hockey players, one hit can end your career and cost you millions. Its a violent sport, and Nicky Boy along with all the other NHLers know this. They want big money, and as soon as possible, cause ya never know when your number will be up.

I have no problem with players trying to get as much money as possible, I do have a problem with owners not being more vigilant when dishing out that money, and I do have a problem when those players end up hurting the team with a holdout or arriving late into camp.

Boynton needs to get signed and delivered and soon.

Old
09-28-2003, 10:23 AM
don

I know I'm in the minority on this but I'd trade him for the 2nd line C we need. Before you bite my head off, remember, I was one of the few who wanted to keep him a couple of years ago when about 95% of this board wanted to give up on him. He is one of the tradable players that other teams would go for and he plays a position where we are deep. Sure, losing him would bring the D quality down a little but if we get that 2nd line C the raise in the O would more that compensate for it. At least that's my opinion.

Old
09-28-2003, 10:54 AM
brianscot

The Bruins are deep on defense?

The current team can capably carry unproven forwards much easier than it can unproven defenseman. Especially given that goaltending is so uncertain.

Beyond that, the prime young center candidates are already in camp.

Only two highly regarded defensive prospects are currently in camp. (Jurcina, Jillson).

The Bruins need to sign Boynton.

Old
09-28-2003, 11:02 AM
gvkmedia
Preaching B's hockey

Mike Comrie for Nick Boynton is an interesting scenario. D-men are harder to obtain and much more valuable. So do you throw in a second teir propect and get an Oiler d-man in return as well? Forget Comrie and go after Brewer or Jason Smith? Expand the deal and get both... that's what I say.

But, the Oilers always seem to get the better of us.....

Old
09-29-2003, 12:15 PM
don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkmedia
Mike Comrie for Nick Boynton is an interesting scenario. D-men are harder to obtain and much more valuable. So do you throw in a second teir propect and get an Oiler d-man in return as well? Forget Comrie and go after Brewer or Jason Smith? Expand the deal and get both... that's what I say.

But, the Oilers always seem to get the better of us.....
I doubt if the Oilers would give up any of their D men because that's where they are short. They are big at C and LW so we should look there for who we want. Comrie would do nice for a start but I'm not sold on him. IMO he's to small for the 2nd line C spot. Here it comes My asking price would be Stoll and Hemsky (RW) but I'd settle for Stoll and Torres or Rita (LWs). I'd even settle for Stoll and Allen (D) if he passes a physical.

As I said before, losing Boynton would lower the quality of the D, no doubt about it, but, he is not playing now so the quality is already lowered. If he was signed my opinion would change on who to trade to get the 2nd line C but as they stand now, it's Boynton.

Other teams I'd talk to would be Pittsburgh and Carolina. Both of them have excess Cs.

Old
09-29-2003, 12:25 PM
Black Eye

vCash:
The defense:

- McGill - he's a sure thing
- O'Donnell - he's a sure thing, though this is 99% likely to be his last year in Boston
- Gill - he's a sure thing
- Moran - he's a sure thing, but is not likely to be around here too long
- Boynton - he's a sure thing and is the youngest of the group up to this point
- Berard - may not be back
- Jillson - who knows, but signs are promising
- Morrisonn - who knows
- Jonsson - who knows big time
- Jurcina - who knows
- Stuart - who knows

That is a lot of question marks, particularly because some of the vets are unlikely to be around long time. It's hard to say what this team's defense is likely to look like in 3 years. It will surely be different. I'm quite confident that we have one of the better groups of defensemen prospects in the NHL.

But, I would be very hesitant to trade the one younger guy who has established himself and still has upside. That is a very high risk move. When you consider how Bergeron is impressing right now - why not just wait for him to mature and not deal another key asset? It will take time to rebuild this wagon.

Old
09-29-2003, 12:28 PM
Jeff from Maine

Couple Things..

Please enlighten me prople.

Why is Boynton being afforded all of this "leeway" in regards to his contract holdout?

Samsonov was reviled as being a greedy SOB who should take the offer and shut his freakin mouth and play!

Boynton has a SIGNIFICANT history of screwing teams in negotiations. He stuck it to the Caps royally, and this is his 2nd contentious negotiation with our B`s!

I dont understand why he gets what amounts to almost a free pass, while McLaren, dafoe, Allison, Guerin, Carter and all get/got reamed and ripped for saying that they wanted more cash.

And its not like Boynton is a great d-man or anything. He is young and steady, but not a great one!

I just dont get it!

2. I dont think we could rob the Oil like most of the trade suggestions indicate. IMHO, Hemsky for Boynton is fair for both....you dont add another good prospect in the deal if your Edmonton! Remember, they are the ones taking on the contract headache!

LAter

Old
09-29-2003, 12:30 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscot
The Bruins are deep on defense?

The current team can capably carry unproven forwards much easier than it can unproven defenseman. Especially given that goaltending is so uncertain.

Beyond that, the prime young center candidates are already in camp.

Only two highly regarded defensive prospects are currently in camp. (Jurcina, Jillson).

The Bruins need to sign Boynton.
The Broons are deep on defense ONLY in potential. On the ice without Nick Boynton they would be hard pressed to be top 10 in East. With him and a good solid game from Jillson then yah, they might be pretty good. But they are along way from the 79 Canadiens. Geez, I'm starting to sound like Jeff and Roger.

Old
09-29-2003, 12:43 PM
Jeff from Maine

Finally :)

Finally DKH...I`ve been working on ya long enough

Later

Old
09-29-2003, 12:45 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff from Maine
Finally DKH...I`ve been working on ya long enough

Later
I agree with you more than you think, but BJ (Bruwinz20) is alot bigger than me

Old
09-29-2003, 04:24 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
...Boynton has a SIGNIFICANT history of screwing teams in negotiations. He stuck it to the Caps royally, and this is his 2nd contentious negotiation with our B`s!...
The Bruins were lucky that Nick went back into the lottery so we could make him our first pick....

Old
09-29-2003, 08:43 PM
WickedBruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers
The Bruins were lucky that Nick went back into the lottery so we could make him our first pick....
Most definitely. I still remember when he was drafted after Samsonov. Who would've thought he'd be a Bruin 2 years later.

Old
09-30-2003, 11:55 AM
don

Quote:

And its not like Boynton is a great d-man or anything. He is young and steady, but not a great one!

IMHO, Hemsky for Boynton is fair for both....you dont add another good prospect in the deal if your Edmonton!
LAter
I agree with Boynton not being great but the potential is there and he has proven that at the NHL level. Hemsky was only 1 of the people from Edmonton that I paired with Stoll. Stoll would be the deal breaker for me. My main reason for trading Boynton was to get that # 2 C. I think Stoll could be it but he, like Hemsky, has not proven it like Boynton has. FWIW, I wouldn't mind trading Samsonov for the right package. And, a couple of months ago Boynton was on my untouchable list. Times and circumstances change.

Old
09-30-2003, 02:59 PM
Ratty

Cancel This Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Nicky!

Closed Thread