HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buddy Robinson - Candidate to Make the Team?

Old
09-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Spire2000

vCash: 500
Buddy Robinson - Candidate to Make the Team?

The Sun put up an article today about Buddy Robinson's background and his chances on making the team this season.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=432035

I'd never heard of him before this training camp and don't know anything other than what is in this article. Any scouting reports out there?

Spire2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:56 AM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

He's a Brandon Bochenski trophy candidate.

He's not a candidate to make the team.

I like his speed - his skating is pretty good for such a big guy.

A lot of the bigger players (e.g. Lindros, Sundin) look like they're coasting out there with their big strides.

Robinson really moves his feet.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:09 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

1. Spezza
2. Turris
3. Zibanejad
4. Smith
5. Michalek
6. Macarthur
7. Greening
8. Ryan
9. Conacherz
10. Neil
11. Condra
12. O'brien
13. Kassian
14. Da Costa
15. Hoffman

There are 15 guys who are either assured spots on the team, or are waiver-eligible... and that's not even including Pageau or Stone, who are waiver exempt but may still be ahead of Robinson on the depth chart.

It's a numbers game. Robinson has a steep, steep hill to climb if he wants to make this team out of training camp. He not only has to be good enough to take someone's roster spot, but has to be so good that we are forced to waive or trade an extra player.

If he has a nice camp, he'll earn the praise of the organization, go down to Bingo, and wait for a call-up.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:10 AM
corksens

I don't care how good he plays in the pre-season. The guy is raw. Send him to the AHL and make him earn it.

corksens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:40 AM
Here I Pageau Again

He's not a candidate for the team, but I could see him being a call up if injuries happen and he's doing well in Bingo.

Good on the kid for playing well thus far, but I think he knows he's not an NHL player at this point. Keep working his ass off though, and you never know.

He won't be starting on the team though.

Here I Pageau Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:03 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 50
As others have said, it's a numbers game. He's more realistically competing for call-up priority than he is for a roster spot.

09-17-2013, 10:05 AM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
1. Spezza
2. Turris
3. Zibanejad
4. Smith
5. Michalek
6. Macarthur
7. Greening
8. Ryan
9. Conacher
10. Neil
11. Condra
12. O'brien
13. Kassian
14. Da Costa
15. Hoffman

There are 15 guys who are either assured spots on the team, or are waiver-eligible... and that's not even including Pageau or Stone, who are waiver exempt but may still be ahead of Robinson on the depth chart.

It's a numbers game. Robinson has a steep, steep hill to climb if he wants to make this team out of training camp. He not only has to be good enough to take someone's roster spot, but has to be so good that we are forced to waive or trade an extra player.

If he has a nice camp, he'll earn the praise of the organization, go down to Bingo, and wait for a call-up.
In two years, I could see half of the players gone. Hoffman and DaCosta are not a sure thing. You can add Lazar and Prince as potential forwards to add to the group.

He doesn't have to make the team this year, he is still young. If he turns out into another Greening (Bigger, not as fast but with a better shot), he will have his chance with the Sens in 2 years.

It's not bad for a guy undrafted.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:08 AM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr123 View Post
He's not a candidate for the team, but I could see him being a call up if injuries happen and he's doing well in Bingo.

Good on the kid for playing well thus far, but I think he knows he's not an NHL player at this point. Keep working his ass off though, and you never know.

He won't be starting on the team though.
I don't see him as a call up unless he's having a great year in Bingo or Sens are looking for size.

Others will have their chance before he does. I'm thinking Hoffman, Prince, Pageau.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:30 AM
SNES

Guy needs min of a year in bingo just for the experience. I will say he's becoming one of my fav prospects though...

SNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:37 AM
costermonger
sans classe

I love it when these un-drafted college free agents show promise. They're the hockey equivalent of free money.

costermonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:10 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Agree with numbers game: I expect that Da Costa & JOB could be placed on waivers since it's quite likely at the beginning of the season no team will want to use a waiver token on a bubble player. Does anyone know how many players a team can lose on waivers in any given yr & how many waiver pick ups any team can use?

I initially thought the team would only carry 22 roster players due to budget concerns but because of who is not waiver exaempt I now think Ottawa could carry 23 players & keep Hoffman in Ottawa. Of the guys who must be placed on waivers Conacher, Gryba & Hoffman are the three I think some other team would grab off waivers, Da Costa & JOB maybe not so much. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Robinson is quite likely to get a better look next yr although he could be a callup at some point this season. Good to see him having some success early, this can only benefit Bingo & the organization.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:24 AM
Here I Pageau Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
I don't see him as a call up unless he's having a great year in Bingo or Sens are looking for size.

Others will have their chance before he does. I'm thinking Hoffman, Prince, Pageau.
I guess my "doing well in Bingo" should have been doing great in Bingo. Obviously there are players ahead of him, however if he is playing better than those players - I could see him as a call up.

I feel like as coaches stand for the Sens now, the best player plays. So if he's doing great in Bingo, I could see him as a call up. Otherwise, he'll be a Bingo player. But hey, that's not too shabby I guess.

Here I Pageau Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:27 AM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

Don't think he has a shot at the team, as others have said. Sure making himself known though, which is a good thing.

Neil Patrick Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 12:38 PM
Topside

Depending on who goes down and what the team needs, I could see him being one of the first call-ups.

Topside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:00 PM
Ed Wood

He had 16 points in 38 games in college hockey last year. The previous year he had 10 points in 39 games. He's got a ways to go before being considered a serious candidate to make the big team.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:02 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

He scored a beautiful goal against Calgary I'll give you that. Very underrated skill.

However, he is at least another year in the AHL away from being in conversation of making team.

May get a couple games next year.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:37 PM
MoreGore

Look for him to be a top 6 player in Bingo where he can learn the professional game.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:46 PM
Vaclav Varada
CoJo

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaclav Varada
I really don't see any scenario where Robinson makes the team.

Vaclav Varada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Stylizer1
Strickly Butter Baby

But what if he is the next Lemieux?

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Vaclav Varada
CoJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
But what if he is the next Lemieux?
He can Lemieux it up in the AHL before Lemieuxing it up in the NHL.

2way contracts are very important to a team like us.

Old
09-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Patrick Harris View Post
Don't think he has a shot at the team, as others have said. Sure making himself known though, which is a good thing.
I would think Robinson goes to Bingo, the Sens have too many players on 1-way deals that even if Robinson deserves the opportunity it just won't happen.

The battles are for two positions IMO, second line winger and a spot in the bottom six. In the battle for the top six job, I see the Hoffman and Stone currently in the lead to date.

Hoffman has been solid in practice and in his one game showed he can play defense and is very capable of creating offense on the Turris line ES and from the point on the PP.

Stone has also been solid in practice and in his one appearance showed just how smart a player he is at both ends of the ice.

IMO Conacher hasn't helping his cause with his undisciplined play. While he did score in his second game he is going to have to show more if he wants to push Stone or Hoffman aside.

It is easy to project the Sens will carry 14 forwards to start the year, giving Murray time to solve the numbers problem.

Based on all the factors I believe the Sens will start the year with the following players.

Spezz, Michalek, Ryan, Turris, MacArthur, Stone, Hoffman,
Greening, Zibanejad, Neil, Smith, Condra, Conacher, Kassian,
Karlsson, Methot, Phillips, Cowen, Corvo, Weircoich, Gryba,
Anderson, Lehner.

Unfortuately I see Pageau starting the year in Bingo, mostly due to contract, but also due to MacLean's stated reluctance to move either Zibby or Smith to the wing.

Everyone one else will head to Bingo with the possible exception of Da Costa who could get lost on waivers.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:01 PM
Tampacuseforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
I would think Robinson goes to Bingo, the Sens have too many players on 1-way deals that even if Robinson deserves the opportunity it just won't happen.

The battles are for two positions IMO, second line winger and a spot in the bottom six. In the battle for the top six job, I see the Hoffman and Stone currently in the lead to date.

Hoffman has been solid in practice and in his one game showed he can play defense and is very capable of creating offense on the Turris line ES and from the point on the PP.

Stone has also been solid in practice and in his one appearance showed just how smart a player he is at both ends of the ice.

IMO Conacher hasn't helping his cause with his undisciplined play. While he did score in his second game he is going to have to show more if he wants to push Stone or Hoffman aside.

It is easy to project the Sens will carry 14 forwards to start the year, giving Murray time to solve the numbers problem.

Based on all the factors I believe the Sens will start the year with the following players.

Spezz, Michalek, Ryan, Turris, MacArthur, Stone, Hoffman,
Greening, Zibanejad, Neil, Smith, Condra, Conacher, Kassian,
Karlsson, Methot, Phillips, Cowen, Corvo, Weircoich, Gryba,
Anderson, Lehner.

Unfortuately I see Pageau starting the year in Bingo, mostly due to contract, but also due to MacLean's stated reluctance to move either Zibby or Smith to the wing.

Everyone one else will head to Bingo with the possible exception of Da Costa who could get lost on waivers.
First off the battle for the second line spot is being lead by Hoffman and Stone ? Hoffman has been the only player to play a game in that spot. I hope Stone wins the spot he brings much more than Hoffman ever could. I would much rather see Conacher playing with Zibanejad on the third line. As far as Conacher being undisiplined it goes hand in hand with being a agitator. Not saying it's right but it part of the package these type of players bring.
As far as Buddy Robinson is concerned a full season in Binghamton is what will be best for his development.

Tampacuseforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:40 PM
chipsens

Buddy, The Beast... at 6'5" and 235 lbs, Robinson has the potential to be another Cam Neely power forward. I am hoping he also has a bit of a mean streak, which IMO is what's lacking in Greening's game. No point being an imposing beast if you're tame as a doodle.

chipsens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:45 PM
Vaclav Varada
CoJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsens View Post
Buddy, The Beast... at 6'5" and 235 lbs, Robinson has the potential to be another Cam Neely power forward. I am hoping he also has a bit of a mean streak, which IMO is what's lacking in Greening's game. No point being an imposing beast if you're tame as a doodle.
At least we aren't expecting a lot.

Old
09-17-2013, 10:13 PM
Karlssonlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
At least we aren't expecting a lot.
fine...atleast the next Lucic

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote