Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 02:35 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegar Strokes View Post
That's not the point. The Ducks were still one of the best teams in the league without Belesky or Jackman or Maroon in the lineup.

You said this team would be worse in every category and would not make the playoffs with it's current roster. We've only added Jackman, yet we are top of the league.

I never once saw you come out and say you were wrong and that the Ducks are a good team. You just *****ed a moaned about cheap shots that wouldn't happen if we had some more toughness (they still happen).

If you're going to call a select few posters out, at least admit you were wrong.
We're at the top of because of hockey enforcer Tim Jackman. Don't you know how HOCKEY works?

01-25-2014, 04:55 PM
AngelDuck

vCash: 500
Jackman has been underrated since the day we got him (not surprisingly). A lot of folks on HFboards dislike enforcers no matter how they play. It's a recurring theme on this board to scapegoat the enforcer no matter what.

Jackman's not a useless fighter like I've seen him be called. He can play a 4th line role. He can skate at the NHL level.

To DuckJet's sarcasm/strawman...I would say Maroon and Jackman are a big reason why we handled the Queens 2 nights ago. They were two of our only players willing to crash the net...that's what you have to do against Quick

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 05:09 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Jackman has been a great addition to the team. He can play a typical 4th line player's role but has the speed and skill to play the above average 4th line minutes that BB's system demands.

Personally I feel both the "only tough" and "only non-tough" groups are off base. The Ducks actually have 23 players who can all contribute on the team, and essentially 5 effective forward lines, allowing for favorable matchups regardless of the team and style being played. I also find it amusing that the team buys into the team-first concept a lot better than the fans seem to.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 05:43 PM
Paul4587

Jackman isn't a scrub and I have no idea why anyone thought he would be. He put up a 20+ point season in the NHL and has scored at a 20 goal pace in the AHL in about 400 games down there. He can play in a 4th line role and obviously he's a decent middleweight.

I think we've established enough skill and depth up front that we can play any style of game. Before the year I thought we lacked size and grit up front but with Maroon becoming an everyday player and Jackman being acquired we seem to have a sufficient amount of everything available. I just hope those guys get a chance to play in the playoffs. Having a guy like Jackman running around and banging bodies in the playoffs is only going to wear down opposing defensemen, same with having Maroon dominating guys in the corners.

Last edited by Paul4587: 01-25-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 05:52 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

vCash: 50
My concern with toughness has always been that the team be as immune as possible to intimidation, whether that be accomplished through enforcers or some other means. They're getting there.

In my subjective and un-impeachable opinion the team has played better since Jackman's arrival, and better still since he integrated into the lineup and system. I don't see that as a coincidence. I wish the team felt a little more free to retaliate against cheapshots outside the rules, but either they don't feel free, or they don't feel it's necessary.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 05:57 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
My concern with toughness has always been that the team be as immune as possible to intimidation, whether that be accomplished through enforcers or some other means. They're getting there.

In my subjective and un-impeachable opinion the team has played better since Jackman's arrival, and better still since he integrated into the lineup and system. I don't see that as a coincidence. I wish the team felt a little more free to retaliate against cheapshots outside the rules, but either they don't feel free, or they don't feel it's necessary.
I lean more towards the latter. When you're winning hockey games the way Anaheim is, I think you're less inclined to retaliate. If Anaheim was losing, or struggling to be competitive, I think you'd see more of a response.

01-25-2014, 06:17 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I lean more towards the latter. When you're winning hockey games the way Anaheim is, I think you're less inclined to retaliate. If Anaheim was losing, or struggling to be competitive, I think you'd see more of a response.
Could be. If they feel that way because they're not particularly intimidated, then great. If they feel that way for some other reason, then it worries me. And there's really no way to know.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote