HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Lake Erie Monsters/ Denver Cutthroats Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2013, 09:52 AM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

vCash: 500
Sgar with a bad play on the first goal. Hunwick on the 3rd goal..LOL.

Wow is that building empty.

Old
10-26-2013, 09:54 AM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

Hishon with those slick hands.

Old
10-27-2013, 01:47 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 141

Highlights from the Monsters 3-1 win tonight. Hishon with the GWG but all three were nice plays.

Listened to the game tonight and at least parts of all their other games, what I gather about the Monsters is they are pretty good with a lead, their PK and PP is good too. They take a lot of bad penalties as they try to play physical and can get rushed up and down the ice at times.

Old
10-27-2013, 06:05 PM
BrickAHL
Sasha Banks GOAT

vCash: 50
Went to the game on Friday and I was sitting beside the Lake Erie bench so it was tough to see the play a lot of the time but it was cool to be sitting right beside Calvin Pickard. Lake Erie's defense is so lost in it's own zone, they are constantly chasing the puck carrier and are so out of position. Also they look like they have no idea as to what they are doing in their own zone. It reminds me of the Avs under Joe Sacco.

I was disappointed with Matt Hunwick's play because I expected a lot more from a guy who played a lot in the NHL. Duncan Siemens had a terrible game, he was so bad. Elliott had a solid game in my opinion, moved the puck well and created a lot of chances.

Joey Hishon is so skilled and so smart. I know some people have given up on him but they really shouldn't have. He was the best player on the ice for the Monsters and he scored a sick goal. When he scored I cheered so hard, banging the glass in front of me. I'm usually a quiet guy who doesn't really cheer but I was so legitimately happy for Joey that I couldn't help but go nuts when he scored.

During the 1st period I spotted Mitchell Heard and Lee Moffie sitting in a section at the top by themselves. I thought it was Moffie but I wasn't 100 percent sure it was him but I went and said hi to Mitchell Heard during the 1st intermission. I wished him good luck and I asked why he wasn't playing and he said he was scratched. He sounded really pissed when he said that so I probably shouldn't have asked him. I thought he was pissed at my cousin and I but when we were waiting near the team bus after the game he did say hello to us so I guess he wasn't pissed at us. A kid who was also waiting there asked him what his number was and I answered for Heard, he must of thought I was a creep (or a really big fan but I will go with the first one).

I also met Sgarbossa and took a picture with him and got him to sign my jersey. I met Mark Olver as well and I got a picture with him and got him to sign my jersey as well. This is the second time I have met Olver, I met him last year at the Monsters game. While I was getting ready to take a picture with Olver, I looked behind me and I saw Joey Hishon getting on the bus. I said "Hey Joey" and he looked happy that I recognized him. I congratulated him on his big goal and I told him I was really happy for him. He seemed really happy to have scored and he had a huge smile on his face when I congratulated him.

When I was taking a picture with Olver, a bunch of the guys from the team went on to the bus so when I was done with the picture I looked around for Hunwick but I couldn't find him. I looked Karl Stollery straight in the face and asked him if Hunwick was already on the bus. He looked around and asked other guys on the team but he didn't know if he was on the bus already. I feel bad for what I did to Stollery, it was pretty rude to ask him where another player was and to not give a **** about him but I was on a mission to meet Hunny. I kept looking at the stadium door and finally Hunwick came out. He was the last one out so he was in a rush. He was about to board the bus when I told him I was a huge fan and I asked him for a picture. He thought about it for a while before he decided to take a picture with me. I think he was going to say no but he saw me in my Avs jersey and decided to take a picture with me. I thought it was really classy of him to take a picture even though he was in a rush. He didn't have time so I didn't ask him for an autograph and I also wanted to thank him for his time as an Av but he had to go.

I also met Doug Plagens and I told him I was a huge fan of his work. He is a really friendly guy and we talked about the Monsters for more than 5 minutes. I think he was also shocked that I recognized him. I tried to find out what Hishon's injury at the beginning of the season was but like a true professional he didn't tell me. We were talking about Joey and his injury history and I said something about how he had a groin injury to start the season. His reply was "yeah, he was pretty banged up" so he didn't tell me exactly what his injury was other than that he was banged up.

Old
10-27-2013, 06:37 PM
Nzap
#Pogback

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
wall
Thanks for sharing.

Old
10-27-2013, 06:39 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

Thank you BrickAHL.

Old
10-27-2013, 06:41 PM
RockLobster
A magician named Gob

vCash: 844
Good stuff, thanks Bricky!

No matter where I try to roam, it only goes to show, I'm such a long, long way from home.
Old
10-27-2013, 07:09 PM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

Very cool piece to read, Brick. So interesting to hear how the (young) players handle those situations and I really envy you experiencing this kind of stuff.

Old
10-28-2013, 07:25 AM
Flanagan
Registered Loser

vCash: 96
LOL at your Hunwick mission haha.. I'm jealous, the IceCaps and Monsters never play each other.

And since this thread is about the Cuttroats too, maybe someone can clear a few things up for me.
Pretty much, I know nothing about the team or the Central Hockey League at all. I understand that a few of the Avs goalie propects are playing there, so does that make the league an NHL affiliate? I thought that there was only the AHL and ECHL for minor-pro leagues.

Is the CHL more or less the same as the ECHL?

Old
10-28-2013, 10:08 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Cutthroats off to a good start too. I think they are 4-0. I don't follow them, sadly. It's enough for me to keep up with both the Avs and Monsters.

Yes, the Cutthroats are an Avs affiliate. The AA to Lake Erie's AAA if you will. My understanding is CHL is considered inferior to ECHL but has gotten better in recent years. Prospects do go back and forth between Denver and Lake Erie. I know Lauridesen played a lot in Denver last year and has moved up this year.

Old
10-28-2013, 10:26 AM
Flanagan
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
Cutthroats off to a good start too. I think they are 4-0. I don't follow them, sadly. It's enough for me to keep up with both the Avs and Monsters.

Yes, the Cutthroats are an Avs affiliate. The AA to Lake Erie's AAA if you will. My understanding is CHL is considered inferior to ECHL but has gotten better in recent years. Prospects do go back and forth between Denver and Lake Erie. I know Lauridesen played a lot in Denver last year and has moved up this year.
So in general, the CHL and ECHL exist for the same purpose.

How much do these guys get paid? It seems like they'd have to work another job on the side.

And if they're AA, are there even lower level (A) minor-pro leagues?

Old
10-28-2013, 10:33 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

I don't think there are any lower affiliates. That's where playing in Europe comes into play I guess. They must get paid well enough to cover expenses. I don't get the sense that the Denver guys have to find another income.

A random thought I had. I'm kind of surprised at the type of schedule the AHL has, almost all weekend games. I understand why junior is this way for the most part but in the league that's one step away from the NHL I'm surprised they don't play a more NHL type schedule. Is it that they fear the attendance in some buildings would be awful during the week or what?

Old
10-28-2013, 10:43 AM
AvsfanJack

Quote:
I don't think there are any lower affiliates. That's where playing in Europe comes into play I guess. They must get paid well enough to cover expenses. I don't get the sense that the Denver guys have to find another income.

A random thought I had. I'm kind of surprised at the type of schedule the AHL has, almost all weekend games. I understand why junior is this way for the most part but in the league that's one step away from the NHL I'm surprised they don't play a more NHL type schedule. Is it that they fear the attendance in some buildings would be awful during the week or what?
Whatya mean? That is an NHL type schedule. The Avs play Sunday, get the week off until Friday. And repeat. Seriously though, these huge breaks are a buzzkill. When the Avs are playing this well I don't wanna have 5 day breaks between games.

Old
10-28-2013, 10:59 AM
Cullen Bohannon

The Avs need to find a proper Lake Erie coaching staff, one that can actually develop defensemen and young players. Roy needs to hire more of his guys I feel.

Old
10-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsfanJack View Post
Whatya mean? That is an NHL type schedule. The Avs play Sunday, get the week off until Friday. And repeat. Seriously though, these huge breaks are a buzzkill. When the Avs are playing this well I don't wanna have 5 day breaks between games.
It's perfect to have them at the start of the season when you have a new coach trying to teach them new systems.

Old
10-28-2013, 11:50 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsfanJack View Post
I'm not talking about this week. Lake Erie literally ONLY plays on the weekend the entire season.

Old
10-28-2013, 11:57 AM
AvsfanJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffL19 View Post
The Avs need to find a proper Lake Erie coaching staff, one that can actually develop defensemen and young players. Roy needs to hire more of his guys I feel.
Yeah, it's not like we have a shortage of young talent. Lake Erie should be better then they are playing. It's been this way for as long as I can remember.

Old
10-28-2013, 12:41 PM
niwotsblessing

Quote:
I'm not talking about this week. Lake Erie literally ONLY plays on the weekend the entire season.
That's the typical AHL schedule. Most teams travel by bus, the schedule is designed to maximize the efficiency of their travel. Weekend games are probably an easier sell for many teams as well.

Old
10-28-2013, 01:28 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Ryan Boulding ‏@RocksHockeyRyan 8m
Stellar Denver Cutthroats goaltender @kieran_millan has been called up by the Lake Erie Monsters

Not sure how reliable he is but it was retweeted by the best independent goalie scout in NA.

Old
10-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Millan has been lights out for Denver. I think it's fair to give him a chance at the AHL level, even if we already have two highly touted goalies there.

Old
10-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Nihiliste

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffL19 View Post
Indeed. We improved our NHL coaching staff and front office this year but Chynoweth has been mediocre at best everywhere he's gone. I also find him mindnumbingly dull to listen to.

Hope they pay some attention to improving Lake Erie next year. Caps and other have shown the value of a strong AHL affiliate.

Old
10-28-2013, 01:51 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Millan has been lights out for Denver. I think it's fair to give him a chance at the AHL level, even if we already have two highly touted goalies there.
Fair enough, I was almost thinking maybe Varly/Jiggy were injured or something but that doesn't make sense unless it's something serious because our next game isn't till Friday.

Old
10-28-2013, 02:03 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
Ryan Boulding ‏@RocksHockeyRyan 8m
Stellar Denver Cutthroats goaltender @kieran_millan has been called up by the Lake Erie Monsters

Not sure how reliable he is but it was retweeted by the best independent goalie scout in NA.
Good for Millan. He has been awesome for Denver, and Pickard and Aitto have been inconsistent for Lake Erie.

Old
10-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Flanagan
Registered Loser

Does that mean Aittokalliio or Pickard is going somewhere?

Or will LEM be rolling with 3G?

Old
10-28-2013, 02:05 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanagan View Post
Does that mean Aittokalliio or Pickard is going somewhere?

Or will LEM be rolling with 3G?
Probably rolling with 3G or somebody is injured.

Closed Thread