HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Lake Erie Monsters/ Denver Cutthroats Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2013, 06:27 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 795
Colin Smith scored his first goal, Barrie and Lerg assisted. I'm hearing Siemens A LOT more tonight. They must have moved him up a line or something but he's on the puck constantly tonight.

Old
11-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 500
Hishon out?

Old
11-07-2013, 06:30 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Yep, UBI. Sigh.

Old
11-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Skating Tripods

Stollery-Barrie
Tam-Beaupre
Siemens-Elliott

Old
11-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Cullen Bohannon

The problem with LE is that every single one of their skilled guys are tiny. Agozzino is 5-9, Lerg, Smith, Hishon and Olver are 5-10 and Sgarbossa is 5-11.

Meurs and Carey are the only ones with a decent mix of size and puck skill.

Heard, Malone and Cheek have good size, but limited skill. Malone and then Heard probably have the best shot as making the NHL out of all our forward prospects though, since they know what niche they need to slide into to become effective NHLers.

Old
11-07-2013, 06:40 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Tripods, does Siemens look as good as it sounds on the radio. I see he had 3 shots but could have had 10. How about Smith, seems like he's doing well too.

Sakic is in Cleveland tonight. Plagens talked to him but got nothing interesting out of Sakic.

Last edited by tigervixxxen: 11-07-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old
11-07-2013, 07:23 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

DVG scores on the PP, 2-0. Shots 30-9. Good times.

Old
11-07-2013, 07:44 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
Tripods, does Siemens look as good as it sounds on the radio. I see he had 3 shots but could have had 10. How about Smith, seems like he's doing well too.

Sakic is in Cleveland tonight. Plagens talked to him but got nothing interesting out of Sakic.
My guess is that might have something to do with Siemens stepping it up a notch.

Old
11-07-2013, 08:34 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Monsters win 4-0. Shutout for Pickard. Shots 42-21. Monsters got bored part way through and took some stupid penalties but played well the whole game. Cheek and Agozzino with the other two goals.

Old
11-07-2013, 11:02 PM
Skating Tripods

Quote:

I've got some concerns about Siemens, primarily his foot speed. A little slow out of the pivot and he shies away from the physical play necessary in the corners to compensate. Teams will chip and chase on him with a lot of success and establish the offensive zone with relative ease. Had some jump and made some nice passes, but the intricacies of his game are still a work in progress.

Heard Adam Foote was in the suite with Sakic. I didn't personally see them, though.

I like Smith's game. Bit of sandpaper and a nose for the front of the net. Terrific pass by Lerg on Smith's goal. Found him trailing down the slot and it was an easy finish.

Monsters definitely took some poor penalties. Way too many offensive zone penalties. Lucky for them, Utica is horrible. No compete level. Young team that looked overmatched. I was looking at their roster and saw a lot of 90/91/92 birth years. David Booth had some jump early on and threw some nice hits on his first couple of shifts, but floated throughout most of the rest of the game. He had one beautiful scoring chance where he hit the post to preserve Pickard's shutout.

Thought Mikael Tam played really well. I like his physical nature. Protects the front of his net and sticks up for his teammates. Not sure he has a NHL future, but I imagine he's beloved in that locker room. Nice guy for any AHL team to have.

Think there's a good chance I'll see Millan tomorrow night. Hope to have some good things to report.

Old
11-07-2013, 11:08 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Thanks for the report. I can only listen on the radio so I can only get so much and this helps round it out. Smith is becoming my favorite Monster. I really like his game. Maybe crazy for me to say that without actually having seen him much but I'm looking forward to how he develops. Nice to hear the big boys made the trip to Cleveland. I really wish Plagens had asked Sakic anything about specific players.

Old
11-07-2013, 11:12 PM
jonesin 4 jones

In your opinion, does Siemens seem to have good NHL upside? As a rather high first round pick, I would hope he does and he is my favorite Avs prospect so I would like to know how he is doing. Thanks!

Old
11-08-2013, 02:07 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Highlights

Old
11-08-2013, 04:39 AM
AdamCalderHero
Blaze = UK Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skating Tripods View Post
I've got some concerns about Siemens, primarily his foot speed. A little slow out of the pivot and he shies away from the physical play necessary in the corners to compensate. Teams will chip and chase on him with a lot of success and establish the offensive zone with relative ease. Had some jump and made some nice passes, but the intricacies of his game are still a work in progress.
Its interesting you say this about Siemens. I haven't seen him a whole lot but I've always been told his skating and toughness are some of his best qualities. Maybe its his skating stride that's good but his edge work that needs more practice. Also I can imagine it takes a kid playing in the pros for the first time a while to feel comfortable roughing guys up.

Old
11-08-2013, 07:52 AM
niwotsblessing

Quote:
Heard Adam Foote was in the suite with Sakic. I didn't personally see them, though.
I don't ever recall hearing that Avs management ever went to watch the Monsters play, so the report that Sakic, and possibly Foote, was at the game to see our prospects first hand is a huge step in a positive direction. And if Foote can have a chat with the boys on defense at the morning skate that would be great.

Old
11-08-2013, 08:33 AM
Skating Tripods

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesin 4 jones View Post
In your opinion, does Siemens seem to have good NHL upside? As a rather high first round pick, I would hope he does and he is my favorite Avs prospect so I would like to know how he is doing. Thanks!
I think he does. He's got the size, which you obviously can't teach, and good instincts. Good first pass out of the zone and his long reach will be an asset to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamCalderHero View Post
Its interesting you say this about Siemens. I haven't seen him a whole lot but I've always been told his skating and toughness are some of his best qualities. Maybe its his skating stride that's good but his edge work that needs more practice. Also I can imagine it takes a kid playing in the pros for the first time a while to feel comfortable roughing guys up.
In a straight line, I really like his stride. Effortless and efficient. I said the thing about his pivot last night, but replaying some of the things in my mind, his agility is very good when forwards cut in the corners. He's able to stay with them. Doesn't really lose his man. The ice was atrocious, as usual, last night, so maybe he was digging in a bit more and it was slowing the pivot. I'll keep an eye out for it tonight.

He's definitely getting his sea legs playing against a faster pace. Only 10 games in, so I'd expect him to keep getting better.

Old
11-08-2013, 08:40 AM
Skating Tripods

Quote:
Thanks for the report. I can only listen on the radio so I can only get so much and this helps round it out. Smith is becoming my favorite Monster. I really like his game. Maybe crazy for me to say that without actually having seen him much but I'm looking forward to how he develops. Nice to hear the big boys made the trip to Cleveland. I really wish Plagens had asked Sakic anything about specific players.
I like Smith's game too. He sort of reminds me of Brad Malone when he first started in Lake Erie.

I like Plagens, but I do wish he'd go a little bit more in depth with things. He's very vanilla. Never any injury updates and the local paper doesn't care about the team at all. They do a little interview with the coach before every game and it's nothing but softball questions that can be easily answered by cliches and coach-speak. I'm not expecting the world, but ask something a little bit more detailed.

I'm excited to see Millan tonight. I've seen him mentioned a few times and the organization seems pretty high on him. Given what I saw from Utica last night, they could pick a random fan and he'd post a .930SV% against the Comets, so I believe he'll definitely get the nod in the b2b.

Old
11-08-2013, 08:41 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 844
Quote:
I like Smith's game too. He sort of reminds me of Brad Malone when he first started in Lake Erie.

I like Plagens, but I do wish he'd go a little bit more in depth with things. He's very vanilla. Never any injury updates and the local paper doesn't care about the team at all. They do a little interview with the coach before every game and it's nothing but softball questions that can be easily answered by cliches and coach-speak. I'm not expecting the world, but ask something a little bit more detailed.

I'm excited to see Millan tonight. I've seen him mentioned a few times and the organization seems pretty high on him. Given what I saw from Utica last night, they could pick a random fan and he'd post a .930SV% against the Comets, so I believe he'll definitely get the nod in the b2b.
Thanks for the info ST!

Is there ANY update on Hishon that can be offered? Even something so much as the area where his injury occurred? Is he even practicing?

Hope shines brightest, in the dark, where nothing's ever seen. Lighting undiscovered places, no one's ever been.
Old
11-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Cullen Bohannon

Guys, don't be too concerned. Just because Siemens was picked #11, doesn't mean he should be rushed into the NHL. He's got the potential to be a very good, mobile, shutdown d-man in the NHL. He's still only 20, and will take some time to adjust to the pro style game.

He's got all the tools, he just needs to put them together consistently. And especially if Foote is working with him, there should be no concern.

Next year's training camp is when we'll see whether or not he's made any significant improvements, and I'll be a little bit surprised if he doesn't make the team or at least is the final D-man cut.

Old
11-08-2013, 10:17 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Or Bigras. I get the feeling they want one of those two on the team next year.

Old
11-08-2013, 10:20 AM
Skating Tripods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Thanks for the info ST!

Is there ANY update on Hishon that can be offered? Even something so much as the area where his injury occurred? Is he even practicing?
I don't know anything about Hishon. I'll ask around tonight.

Old
11-08-2013, 10:23 AM
henchman24
If and if...

IMO Bigras is much closer than Siemens is. Bigras thinks the game at a much higher level and is a better skater (not only straight line, but his edge work is amazing). Really the only things Siemens has on Bigras right now are size and physicality. Now this isn't meant as a slight to Siemens, just that Bigras' game is much closer to adapting to the NHL. Siemens will be fine and turn into a solid shutdown defensemen after 2-3 years in the AHL.

Old
11-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Cullen Bohannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
IMO Bigras is much closer than Siemens is. Bigras thinks the game at a much higher level and is a better skater (not only straight line, but his edge work is amazing). Really the only things Siemens has on Bigras right now are size and physicality. Now this isn't meant as a slight to Siemens, just that Bigras' game is much closer to adapting to the NHL. Siemens will be fine and turn into a solid shutdown defensemen after 2-3 years in the AHL.
Yeah, IMO Bigras is and was mentally ready for the NHL, he just needed to build up some muscle in order to deal with the bigger forwards.

Old
11-08-2013, 08:51 PM
SnipShow

vCash: 50
Anyone know if Heard is battling an injury? Or is he getting scratched? I know previously I saw he was scratched for a game last week but these last two LE games he has not been in the lineup.

Old
11-11-2013, 03:28 PM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

http://www.feed2all.eu/watch/220796/...-monsters.html

There's a stream for the LEM game which is going on right now.

Elliott just scored to make it 1-1.

Closed Thread