HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

All Purpose Quebec Thread (Quebec Separation II)

Old
09-17-2013, 04:31 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelein24 View Post
I'll never understand why this had to become an issue.

Why should I care if the guy that renews my driver's license wears a turban? As long as he does his job, I shouldn't give two *****.

Why should I care if my doctor wears a cross or a kippa(spelling)? As long as he's doing his job, I shouldn't give two *****.

I've never, EVER had a problem at any government office because someone was wearing religious garb.
In Quebec, we're taught that multi-culturalism is a bad thing and that the only way for our society not to break down is if everyone is the same.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 04:33 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelein24 View Post
I'll never understand why this had to become an issue.

Why should I care if the guy that renews my driver's license wears a turban? As long as he does his job, I shouldn't give two *****.

Why should I care if my doctor wears a cross or a kippa(spelling)? As long as he's doing his job, I shouldn't give two *****.

I've never, EVER had a problem at any government office because someone was wearing religious garb.
Well first off you are not an irrational bigot...

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Andy

http://pq.org/chartevscharte/

pq made a game lmao

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 05:26 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
http://pq.org/chartevscharte/

pq made a game lmao
What is the point of this game? Or what is it even trying to prove?

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
What is the point of this game? Or what is it even trying to prove?
I think the implicit message is that the language charter aka Bill 101, was condemned when it first came out with similar words and messages being said about the current charter of values, and is now very successful.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:50 PM
Odelein24

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
In Quebec, we're taught that multi-culturalism is a bad thing and that the only way for our society not to break down is if everyone is the same.
Ive lived in Montreal for 90% of my life and I was never taught anything like that. Multiculturalism was something to be proud of.

I remember, in high school, we had a multicultural day, students could represent their home country with food, activities and there was even a parade/presentation with dozens of flags.

I should probably mention that I've lived almost exclusively in the west end my entire life. I also went to schools in the EMSB (English Montreal School Board) system. I cannot say what is taught in any other school board.

Odelein24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:28 PM
FF de Mars

Marois is doing a disfavour to everybody. My idea of Québec is inclusive. We will never achieve independance like this. It sabotages the social climate. Nationalize the Internet (the cables), that would be a good idea, like Hydro Québec, worth of our energy. But what's the point of annoying everybody for no reason ? The truth is that the PQ looks at France and gets paranoid... we're in North America, Pauline.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Marois is doing a disfavour to everybody. My idea of Québec is inclusive. We will never achieve independance like this. It sabotages the social climate. Nationalize the Internet (the cables), that would be a good idea, like Hydro Québec, worth of our energy. But what's the point of annoying everybody for no reason ? The truth is that the PQ looks at France and gets paranoid... we're in North America, Pauline.
Wait. You want to nationalize publicly traded telecom companies? Jesus, what else?

Doppler Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:42 PM
*Injektilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post

You need to go back to school, son...basic definitions and context are an area you seem to need a lot of work on.

Holy ****, can't believe any sane person would post that and expect to have their opinions on this matter taken seriously. Such an incredible contradiction, it just boggles the mind.
To be fair, I agree with him. Humanity would be far better without religious organizations. It has been nothing but a source of torment and suffering for millions of people throughout history.

Having said that, whatever spiritual crutch people wish to use because they are unable to see the universe as it truly is is up to them.

*Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:47 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
Wait. You want to nationalize publicly traded telecom companies? Jesus, what else?
My nuttiest view is that I think we should have nationalized AT&T in the 1980s instead of breaking them up. Public telecom is not a new concept.

Concordski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:03 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
I'm pro wikileaks. I'm talking about the physical cables. Telecommunication companies make billions. I'm not talking about Obama's drones and surveillance. Don't worry. Just that the Internet is the new electricity. Why should Bell extract the honey when it could benefit us all ? I just think Marois has a ton of other topics to focus on. And in the first place, it should have been named "La charte laïque", and not "La charte des valeurs québécoises". And I disagree with it anyway.

Last edited by FF de Mars: 09-17-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old
09-18-2013, 12:29 AM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
I'm pro wikileaks. I'm talking about the physical cables. Telecommunication companies make billions. I'm not talking about Obama's drones and surveillance. Don't worry. Just that the Internet is the new electricity. Why should Bell extract the honey when it could benefit us all ? I just think Marois has a ton of other topics to focus on. And in the first place, it should have been named "La charte laïque", and not "La charte des valeurs québécoises". And I disagree with it anyway.
They have shareholders. Like in stocks held individually and in mutual funds. Which are held in pension funds, 401Ks, IRAs (or the Canadian equivalent RRSPs and TFSPs). And the physical cables didn't magically appear in the ground. It took cash money to buy the cable and lay it in the ground. And there is more to it than a few cables. There is also fiber and the fiber terminal equipment. Switches, routers, etc, etc, etc which all cost money.

Doppler Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 01:25 AM
MontrealHabitant

Boom.

http://www.lapresse.ca/debats/chroni...me-foulard.php

Again, nothing xenophobic or ethnocentric with this charter. Time to shut down the exaggerations and the myths.

MontrealHabitant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 01:30 AM
MontrealHabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
There are racists everywhere of every stripe. I think Lisée already called out this improper behavior.

Old
09-18-2013, 01:46 AM
MontrealHabitant

Only Anglophones media can come up with this **** hahahaha

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/mitch-w...b_3936023.html

One's a republican tea nut, religious, against gay marriage, against abortion in case of *****, against science etc.

The other is an atheist social worker and a career public servant. Marois has held the finance portfolio amongst many other things - and is the only Quebec finance ministers since the Quiet Revolution to actually balance the budget.

Quote:
in 1968, she enrolled in the social work undergraduate program at Quebec City's Université Laval. At the time, Marois recalls, she was more interested in the condition of the poor and in international issues than other issues such as the status of the French language or the Quebec independence movement. According to her autobiography, she participated in a study on housing in the city's Lower Town and demonstrated against the Vietnam War.

Old
09-18-2013, 01:56 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealHabitant View Post
Boom.

Again, nothing xenophobic or ethnocentric with this charter. Time to shut down the exaggerations and the myths.
Only a complete and total mindless idiot can't see this for what it is.

Only myth here is the one you keep perpetuating. You're not fooling anyone.

I guess we should take pity on you though, considering how easily you have been manipulated by your powers that be. You're the biggest xenophobe on this board with your constant Anglo hatred, which of course in your mind is completely justified.

I can't imagine what it's like to be so easily indoctrinated and manipulated. Such a shame.

Last edited by Ol' Jase: 09-18-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:56 AM
FF de Mars

Quote:
They have shareholders. Like in stocks held individually and in mutual funds. Which are held in pension funds, 401Ks, IRAs (or the Canadian equivalent RRSPs and TFSPs). And the physical cables didn't magically appear in the ground. It took cash money to buy the cable and lay it in the ground. And there is more to it than a few cables. There is also fiber and the fiber terminal equipment. Switches, routers, etc, etc, etc which all cost money.
The cables appeared in the ground through subventions, through our own money. It is many underground cables and many technicians and a whole system involved. How is it harder to do that than building Hydro Dams which electrify the whole North East ? Coacxial. Fibe exists since 30 years, through Vidéotron. Free information should be the basis of our society. Routers ? They rent those, for 1.49$ a month...

Last edited by FF de Mars: 09-18-2013 at 04:13 AM.
Old
09-18-2013, 04:12 AM
MontrealHabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
Only a complete and total mindless idiot can't see this for what it is.

Only myth here is the one you keep perpetuating. You're not fooling anyone.

I guess we should take pity on you though, considering how easily you have been manipulated by your powers that be. You're the biggest xenophobe on this board with your constant Anglo hatred, which of course in your mind is completely justified.

I can't imagine what it's like to be so easily indoctrinated and manipulated. Such a shame.
My "anglo hatred" lol. You're a dumbass. I live in Australia fruitcake and I am dating an uni lingual anglophone, I also study at an English University and I work in English. You spew garbage around believing its the truth, good for you, but this charter is about Laicité and nothing else.

The problem with English Canadians is that they believe that the Separatists goal is to destroy Canada, that Separatists have a disdain for Canada and anything related to Canada.

What if - and I know that might sound like a difficult concept to understand - but what if Separatists just happened to love Quebec more and hoped for more for Quebec. The reality is separatists don't really care about Canada, in fact most agree its a wonderful country, regardless of the Conservative government in power, most just want more for Quebec and that is all there is to it.

It's not that hard to understand. Put yourself in the same shoes, what if Albertans wanted more ? What if Albertans wanted international recognition ? Wanted to make their own political alliances with other countries ? What if Alberta wanted to be represented at the United Nations by itself ?

Last edited by MontrealHabitant: 09-18-2013 at 04:19 AM.
Old
09-18-2013, 04:16 AM
FF de Mars

Quote:
My "anglo hatred" lol. You're a dumbass. I live in Australia fruitcake and I am dating an uni lingual anglophone, I also study at an English University and I work in English. You spew garbage around believing its the truth, good for you, but this charter is about Laicité and nothing else.
Why doesn't Marois first starts by getting rid of the crucifixes from l'Assemblée Nationale then ? Des hôtels de ville et leurs prières aussi. J'ai honte du PQ.

PS
For you anglos. From a Montréaler. It is mainly the rich people from the subburbs that support la Charte of ********. The muslim women in Québec city which was assailed with her son... it was at a posh mall, by a snob ignorant upper middle class lady.

Last edited by FF de Mars: 09-18-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Old
09-18-2013, 04:27 AM
MontrealHabitant

Quote:
Why doesn't Marois start by getting rid of the crucifixes from l'Assemblée Nationale first then ? Des hôtels de ville aussi. Et des prières aussi. J'ai honte du PQ.
I wish she could - because I personally believe all religions are evil and the source of wars, pain and discrimination.

But I think its because there is an actual history associated with the Cross, thus it has meanings that are far more important than anything religious (Establishment of New France?). I went to the Saint Joseph Oratory a few years ago - and I personally was just mesmerized by the structure itself and the furniture, and obviously the guy's heart being kept sealed. Nothing religious at all.

The charter also forbids government employees to wear the Cross. I don't think the charter singles anyone out. It targets all religions!

And who knows ? They might start removing the crucifixes eventually, atleast I hope so - better replace it with something more meaningful - perhaps famous paintings ?

I'd love to see Paul-Émile Borduas's paintings everywhere, specially as he was a support of the separation of the state from the Church!

Old
09-18-2013, 04:56 AM
FF de Mars

Quote:
I wish she could - because I personally believe all religions are evil and the source of wars, pain and discrimination.

But I think its because there is an actual history associated with the Cross, thus it has meanings that are far more important than anything religious (Establishment of New France?). I went to the Saint Joseph Oratory a few years ago - and I personally was just mesmerized by the structure itself and the furniture, and obviously the guy's heart being kept sealed. Nothing religious at all.

The charter also forbids government employees to wear the Cross. I don't think the charter singles anyone out. It targets all religions!

And who knows ? They might start removing the crucifixes eventually, atleast I hope so - better replace it with something more meaningful - perhaps famous paintings ?

I'd love to see Paul-Émile Borduas's paintings everywhere, specially as he was a support of the separation of the state from the Church!
I had a walk with my gay little brother who's taller and skinnier than me at parc Lafontaine. He's a music teacher. He told me that he is for the charter in the sense that positions of authority like teachers have to give an example to the kids. I still disagree. We need to get toghether, every Québecer. I'm pro-multiculturalism, for the sake of Québec ! We need an influx of population. We have a huge territory to populate. It will be an advantage.

PS
Don't get me started with Ô Canada (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0kWTOGZ53I), written by Calixa Lavallée and TRANSLATED to english... God, god, and save the queen... ish, plus bourgeois.
USA ! For the people. I wish we defied the clergy back then and joined general Washington when he sent his letter (do you guys realize you are royalists? You moved to Magog or to Toronto because you didn't want to join the greatest country ever)
I'm an atheist too, even worse, from an evangelical home,
The PQ disapointed me, blew away my independance dreams once again (last time I were 13... I was tough, but it made me cry. I wish you guys could understand),
If we all came toghether, we could achieve it, and it would be for the best, for everybody, Canadians and Americans,
I believe in a multicultural Québec,
Algerians whom fought for their independance against evil France should be with us; Haitiens 1804 Toussaint Louverture a great man too; and what about Simon Bolivar !
As of right now, we are alienating everybody,
Not to say Canada won't ever have such problems,
But still,
Why ?
La criss de ridicule d'insignifiante de charte de la folle-arriviste de l'université Laval. Le Québec n'est pas devenu un pays à cause de la ville de Québec, qui a voté en dessous de 50% au référendum, autant que Montréal... donc je suis perplexe, chers fonctionnaires provinciaux, vous et vos niaiseries... de la rive sud... des traîtres de la ville de Québec. On aurait dû faire la guérilla au lieu des plaines d'Abraham, comme le prônait notre vrai général, Vaudreuil. Les Moutons de Québec et les Loups de Montréal était le dicton, lors des années coloniales.

http://www.linguee.fr/anglais-franca...a+warfare.html : Governor Vaudreuil and General Montcalm never agreed on strategy - Vaudreuil's war was one of attrition and Montcalm hated guerrilla warfare. This episode is part of the "Canada: A People's History" series.

Moreover, what's up with the Maple tree. It only grows in Québec and Ontario. How can it be a national symbol ? Actually, I would like to change the Québec flag for a Borduas' painting, or for Landing, by Riopelle (Canada's most famous and best painter). I don't like the cross. I don't like the fleur de lys, which means royalty. How can we piss on Canadians for liking the Queen while having Louis' symbol on our crest ?

Last edited by FF de Mars: 09-18-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old
09-18-2013, 05:14 AM
RoryDelap
That's some bad hat.

What year is it?

RoryDelap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 05:19 AM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryDelap View Post
What year is it?
Le vendredi 13 septembre, 2013

Last edited by FF de Mars: 09-18-2013 at 05:44 AM.
Old
09-18-2013, 06:05 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Boom.

Boom what? The charter is hugely xenophobic and ethnocentric. The linked article is pretty stupid and only makes fun of a victim of xenophobia. The fact you like this article just shows that you are an *******.

Also if you post something in French you should either translate the major points or not post it at all as the majority of the people here cannot read French and have no clue what it says.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 06:17 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:

I've hear so many people who defend the charter using that as an argument and it is total ********. How often have you seen any outside of a priest or nun wear a huge cross outside their clothing? Most people were small cross that are under the clothes so this charter was not meant for them at all. From the start this was to force change on Muslims and to a lesser extent on Sikhs and Jews.

What is a person wears a piece of custom jewelry that has a cross or another religious symbol as part of it? Where does it stop?

The funny thing for me is that Quebec wanted more control over who immigrated to Quebec. They have spent years favoring already French speaking individuals but of course you are not going to get many from France or Belgium. You want French immigrants? You are going to get them from Haiti and North Africa, specifically Algeria, Tunisia, etc. And of course these people are Muslims and as such things like the hi-jab come with being Muslim...

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote