HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

All Purpose Quebec Thread (Quebec Separation II)

Old
09-18-2013, 10:48 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
What the hell are you talking about??
Québec is the cradle of Canada and its culture.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 10:51 AM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Cool story.

Quote:
Cradle of civilization

The cradle of civilization is a term referring to locations identified as the sites of the emergence of civilization. In Western European and Middle Eastern cultures, it has frequently been applied to the Ancient Near Eastern Chalcolithic (Ubaid period, Naqada culture), especially in the Fertile Crescent (Levant and Mesopotamia), but also extended to sites in Armenia,[1] and the Persian Plateau. Other civilizations arose in Asia, among cultures situated along large river valleys, notably the Indus River in the Indian Subcontinent[2] and the Yellow River in China.[3] Civilizations also arose independently in Egypt, Norte Chico in present-day Peru,[4] the Andes and in Mesoamerica. If writing is considered an indicator of civilization, the earliest "cradle" to have writing was Sumer (Jemdet Nasr) in Mesopotamia.

Doppler Drift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Says who, Quebec?

And what on earth does that have to do with a Frenchman misinterpreting an Iroquois word to give a land mass its name?

Meh, we both know you're going to dodge the question again, so don't strain yourself.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 10:54 AM
Free Kassian

Quote:
Says who, Quebec?
Le Devoir, actually. Anglo media (or medias) is not to be trusted.

Free Kassian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 10:56 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
Except for small crosses and Jewish rings. People would be less critical of this law if it was implemently fairly (no religious symbols for anyone) rather than picking on minority groups.
Agree the restriction should be on ALL religious symbols, no exemptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
And it's total ********. What someone wears has no bearing on their ability to do their ****ing job, despite what thin-skinned culture warrior Pauline Marois thinks.
A public servant's ability to do their job is not really in question here. If a teacher could do their job in their underwear it doesn't mean that's appropriate. Maybe there should be uniforms for public servants.

Old
09-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Andy

Quote:
Says who, Quebec?

And what on earth does that have to do with a Frenchman misinterpreting an Iroquois word to give a land mass its name?

Meh, we both know you're going to dodge the question again, so don't strain yourself.
He won't answer. He couldn't even answer the simplistic question I asked in the previous thread. Doing so would force him to concede a point that will make him look like an ignorant fool.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 10:58 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Says who, Quebec?

Says history. If you don't appreciate the role of Québec / French Canadians in this country's history you might want a refresher course.

Old
09-18-2013, 10:59 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
Cool story.
You are aware that the word "culture" and the word "civilization" have different meanings aren't you?

Old
09-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
You are aware that the word "culture" and the word "civilization" have different meanings aren't you?
Yes I am. So what?

Old
09-18-2013, 11:03 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
He won't answer. He couldn't even answer the simplistic question I asked in the previous thread. Doing so would force him to concede a point that will make him look like an ignorant fool.
If I recall your question was whether something was "OK", without saying whether you meant legally, morally, culturally etc.

Old
09-18-2013, 11:03 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Says history. If you don't appreciate the role of Québec / French Canadians in this country's history you might want a refresher course.
I know full well the contribution Quebec and French Canadians have played in this country's history.

I'm also aware of the role other European colonists played in the history of this country.

I'm also aware that neither Jacques Cartier nor the Iroquois tribe were Quebecois.

It seems you cannot claim the same awareness.

Old
09-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Andy

Quote:
If I recall your question was whether something was "OK", without saying whether you meant legally, morally, culturally etc.
If I recall, you did answer the question (though in a stupid manner) the first time I asked it, so you understood what it meant. You chose not to follow through because you knew it'd make you look like a bigoted fool.

Old
09-18-2013, 11:06 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Yes I am. So what?
Why when I wrote cradle of Canadian "culture" did you answer with a quote about the cradle of "civilization"?

I don't think Québec is the cradle of civilization fwiw

Old
09-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Andy

Quote:
I know full well the contribution Quebec and French Canadians have played in this country's history.

I'm also aware of the role other European colonists played in the history of this country.

I'm also aware that neither Jacques Cartier nor the Iroquois tribe were Quebecois.

It seems you cannot claim the same awareness.
Quebecois/French canadians played a role in Canada's history, just like anglophones and allophones have played a huge role in Quebec history, specifically Montreal. The only difference is that Quebeckers want to protect the former and eliminate the latter. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Old
09-18-2013, 11:07 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
If I recall, you did answer the question (though in a stupid manner) the first time I asked it, so you understood what it meant. You chose not to follow threw because you knew it'd make you look like a bigoted fool.
"through"

Old
09-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Andy

Quote:
"through"
Look more deflection so he doesn't actually have to answer the question or acknowledge that he's bigoted.

Old
09-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Why when I wrote cradle of Canadian "culture" did you answer with a quote about the cradle of "civilization"?

I don't think Québec is the cradle of civilization fwiw
It isn't the cradle of the culture of Canada either from what I have seen. You are just making that up.

As an atheist I would like to know, what is it that you find so disturbing about someone wearing a turban when they serve you at a government office? Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Old
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
"through"
Strong rebuttal.

Old
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Look more deflection so he doesn't actually have to answer the question or acknowledge that he's bigoted.
What question? The vague one from another thread that neither of us can recall lol?

Old
09-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
It isn't the cradle of the culture of Canada either from what I have seen. You are just making that up.

As an atheist, I would like to know, what is it that you find so disturbing about someone wearing a turban when they serve you at a government office? Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Yes, but you seem to have the ability to think for yourself and understand your way of life isn't threatened because a guy working at the passport office is wearing a turban.

Old
09-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Andy

Quote:
What question? The vague one from another thread that neither of us can recall lol?
Neither of us can recall? You just recalled it a few posts ago idiot.

Not only that, but you answered it the first time I asked it to you, even though you did it in a smart ass manner, so you clearly understood what it meant. You didn't answer the second time and played dumb because you knew it would confirm that you're a xenophobe.

Old
09-18-2013, 11:17 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Oh Where is?

Quote:
As an atheist I would like to know, what is it that you find so disturbing about someone wearing a turban when they serve you at a government office? Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Doesn't bother me either when did I say it did? (Also your phrasing is noteworthy: "...what is it that you find so disturbing about someone wearing a turban when they serve you at a government office?" The basis of the laïcité charter is not that people are "disturbed" by a person who is wearing a religious symbol. Under discussion are the religious symbols themselves.

Old
09-18-2013, 11:19 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Neither of us can recall? You just recalled it a few posts ago idiot.

Not only that, but you answered it the first time I asked it to you, even though you did it in a smart ass manner, so you clearly understood what it meant. You didn't answer the second time and played dumb because you knew it would confirm that you're a xenophobe.
Ok Andy, love the avatar. Now please present this question in your next post if you will.

Old
09-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Oh Where is?

Doesn't bother me either when did I say it did? (Also your phrasing is noteworthy: "...what is it that you find so disturbing about someone wearing a turban when they serve you at a government office?" The basis of the laïcité charter is not that people are "disturbed" by a person who is wearing a religious symbol. Under discussion are the religious symbols themselves.
And what harm are they doing? The government is still secular. They aren't hold a mass in front of you. They aren't handing out religious pamphlets. The symbols are harmless. Nobody gave a crap when Christians symbols were all around us, including in government buildings. But some people now have their panties in a bunch when all these awful strangers show up with THEIR odd religious symbols and clothing.

Old
09-18-2013, 11:32 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
No, it's in effect banning the teachers.
Only if the symbols were part of their anatomical. Which brings us to the thus far unexplored area of religious tattoos...

Quote:
This argument that keeps getting trotted out is so ****ing rediculous. It's as if you think that a turban and the like can just be taken off, no big deal for the person wearing one. Agree with it or not, for some people wearing these religious symbols are part of who they are. It isn't as simple as just taking it off and going on with life. The options that they are left with are either A) lose their job or B) move their family to a new province. How is that fair?
"ridiculous"

Can they not keep their faith without wearing religious symbols while they representing the public in a secular society?

Quote:
I'll ask this again: How does anyone that chooses to wear any of these religious "symbols" negatively affect anything at all if they are not pushing any type of religious agenda? Anyone? I've asked this several times now, but the question continues to unsurprisingly be dodged.
Symbols do not necessarily affect a person's ability to do their job any more than nakedness might. But the question is whether they are appropriate. A secular society does not want government employees wearing religious symbols while they are representing and serving the public.