HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre LeBrun: Jonathan Bernier will be as good as Carey Price (2011 version).

Closed Thread

Old
09-17-2013, 05:13 PM
GrizzLeaf

vCash: 500
Why are all those media pundits so mean to Bernier!?

I think he'll be a decent goalie at worst, and a great goalie if the stars align. No way he's as bad as Price.

Old
09-17-2013, 05:20 PM
T M L
#1 elite D

Looking forward to Bernier.

Imagine that guys... A young Franchise goalie in Toronto!

Old
09-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Suntouchable13

He has got something on James and that's rebound control and superior puck handling skills. Those 2 skills are very important.

Old
09-17-2013, 06:14 PM
bunjay

It'll certainly be refreshing for it not to be an automatic giveaway inside the blueline every time the goalie goes to play the puck. That has hurt us for a long time now.

Old
09-17-2013, 06:28 PM
wulfio*

Quote:
Originally Posted by contour View Post
I heard Bernier is so good, he can stop cannonball with his left glove.
i heard he can do it with his bare hands

Old
09-17-2013, 06:36 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

I really hope the media stops treating Price like the Messiah. He was AWFUL last year. He has serious issues with his game. Hopefully team Canada management doesnt treat him like its 2010 still.

Old
09-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Pi

vCash: 50
NO. Bernier do not play like Price. We don't want Price. We want a goalie that does well in the playoffs.

Price is now in his 7th full year, has a pathetic playoff record and has had only 1 season where you can say that he was above average.

Old
09-17-2013, 06:41 PM
IWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
I really hope the media stops treating Price like the Messiah. He was AWFUL last year. He has serious issues with his game. Hopefully team Canada management doesnt treat him like its 2010 still.
He's always been inconsistent. Elite when he's on, but you never know when he'll let in a softy. The Montreal hype-machine is a thing to behold, but I take it with a grain of salt. I also find it hard to believe that Komisarek fell that far from grace over the course of a summer.

Old
09-17-2013, 07:00 PM
Leafswillrulesometim

I still think Reimer will be the starter come playoff time...

He was an absolute rock in games 5 and 6 when the Leafs were facing elimination, in the last 5 minutes of game 5 when we were completely under siege by Boston the height he rose to in order to give us the win was MONUMENTAL.. We saw shades of a goalie who ELEVATES his play come playoff time.. The game 7 collapse wasn't all of his fault, there was literally no defense shown by the team in that last 10 minutes.. Reimer wasn't that great in games 1-4 (he definitely wasnt horrible), but after he adjusted, he started to find the fury inside him that makes him an elite goalie.

Old
09-17-2013, 07:00 PM
darrylsittler27

I think we all know...

Price cracks under pressure and is often held up as the next coming of Roy. I haven't seen anything to indicate this as he only plays well when the games don't matter. He can't handle the heat and the only Gm who would pick this guy as a top 10 is French.

Old
09-17-2013, 07:04 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

I'm not really sure how to respond to this...usually the media likes to try and kill any hope the Leafs have lol. I mean when Gardiner was acquired, McKenzie posted an article seriously deflating any hype about him. So this is a little new.

But this is a lot of faith to put into a guy who has less experience than our current incumbent starter (who's done everything to suggest he is a capable starter lol).

But hey I'll take a potential laden young goalie fighting our starter for the starting spot. Can't hurt to have it.

Old
09-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Which Carey Price, though?

The two good years, or the rest of his career?

Old
09-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four1 Lead View Post
Pierre LeBrun was on TSN radio in the last hour and he said that he's been a huge fan of Jonathan Bernier for a long time and believes that he will be as good as Carey Price is in Montreal. Bryan Hayes of TSN 1050 also mentioned that people within the NHL have told him that Bernier's puckhandling is elite and on par with Martin Brodeur.
I know it was only one game but I agree with Lebrun on Bernier's puck handling. A couple of times last night Bernier calmly took the puck behind the net and actually passed it up ice to one of the defenders instead of doing what every goalie does and shoot it off the glass. Bernier's puck-handling for a goalie definitely is the elite class IMO. At some points last night I was like " GET RID OF IT!, but he just calmly took his time passed it to the defender and they were off on the rush, it was beautiful.

Old
09-17-2013, 07:33 PM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

Yeah people are taking this a bit out of context. It was more or less Lebrun saying he has always been a BIG Bernier supporter and that he could become for the leafs what Price is for the Habs. He also said he would not be surprised if Bernier has the starting job by the end of the year.

Old
09-17-2013, 07:36 PM
New Liskeard

Bernier hasnt proven to be a better player than Reimer yet, let alone Price. Not to say he cant, but he has to prove alot before being annointed anything yet.

Old
09-17-2013, 07:49 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
Yeah people are taking this a bit out of context. It was more or less Lebrun saying he has always been a BIG Bernier supporter and that he could become for the leafs what Price is for the Habs. He also said he would not be surprised if Bernier has the starting job by the end of the year.
Price is the better version of Tony Romo.

Good decent for the regular season, don't expect to win in the playoffs.
Price...good goalie in the regular season, don't expect to win in the playoffs.

If my team pays a goalie 6.5M/year, he better be showing up and winning games when they matter the most.

The Habs lost to an Ottawa team that was playing a less than 100% Karlsson and no Spezza. They might have lost in 3 if they had both those guy @ 100%.

6.5M is a lot of $$ for a goalie that can't win playoff games.

Old
09-17-2013, 08:00 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Price is the better version of Tony Romo.

Good decent for the regular season, don't expect to win in the playoffs.
Price...good goalie in the regular season, don't expect to win in the playoffs.

If my team pays a goalie 6.5M/year, he better be showing up and winning games when they matter the most.

The Habs lost to an Ottawa team that was playing a less than 100% Karlsson and no Spezza. They might have lost in 3 if they had both those guy @ 100%. 6.5M is a lot of $$ for a goalie that can't win playoff games.
Ottawa was without Karlsson and several other key players througout the season and beat many teams. Ottawa played extremely well all year, and were a tough team for many to beat.

Old
09-17-2013, 08:00 PM
Stephen

I think it's amusing how there are so many Leaf fans who are so derisive towards Bernier. It doesn't have to be Reimer who leads us to success!

Old
09-17-2013, 08:13 PM
david999

I like Reimer, but from what I have seen of Bernier he definitely seems more composed with the puck. Training camp and half an exhibition game is a very small sample, but I hope they both play well.

Old
09-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I think it's amusing how there are so many Leaf fans who are so derisive towards Bernier. It doesn't have to be Reimer who leads us to success!
True. I just don't want Bernier to be like Price. He's terribly overrated with a fat paycheque and has played at an elite level for 1/7 seasons. If things aren't bad already, he's terrible in the playoffs.

I don't really care about the number or the name on the back of the jersey as long as that goalie gives us the best chance to win when it matters the most.

These next two years are crucial for the Leafs. They need to know exactly what to expect from every player.

We should know who our best goalie is and how many wins they are capable of, if Kadri is #1C material, if Gardiner/Rielly can take the next step etc etc.

Playoffs should nearly be guaranteed after ~2 years, or we have failed somewhere in our retool/build.

Old
09-17-2013, 08:30 PM
Budsfan

I don't think we have had, this solid a goal tending tandem, for a very long time and it is a bit bewildering, why some fans want to trade-off either Bernier or Reimer.

I think both can co-exist playing goal here and I think Carlyle will play the hot goal tender, throughout the year and it should work well, having either in the net.

Reimer is more of a butterfly goal tender and Bernier plays more of a stand up style, both are going to have to adjust to the new equipment and too, other goal tenders around the league, will have to adjust as well.

It should be a very interesting season but I think we have two very good young goal tenders and both have great stats and they should make the transition and do very well but only time will tell.

Old
09-17-2013, 08:34 PM
BernierNo1Fan
Trade Phaneuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
Reimer is better than Price. If we weren't all playoff nerves in game 1, we win that series. Reimer had nerves of steel to comeback against Boston like that, Price would have withered and folded.
He sure showed nerves of steal on those soft ass OT goals.

As for Bernier, he's easily the new addition I'm most excited about. He has always had elite potential but never truly got the opportunity to break out in LA. Now that he's on a team where the starting position is up for grabs I anticipate that he will shine.

Old
09-17-2013, 08:41 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
I don't think we have had, this solid a goal tending tandem, for a very long time and it is a bit bewildering, why some fans want to trade-off either Bernier or Reimer.
I think both can co-exist playing goal here and I think Carlyle will play the hot goal tender, throughout the year and it should work well, having either in the net.

Reimer is more of a butterfly goal tender and Bernier plays more of a stand up style, both are going to have to adjust to the new equipment and too, other goal tenders around the league, will have to adjust as well.

It should be a very interesting season but I think we have two very good young goal tenders and both have great stats and they should make the transition and do very well but only time will tell.
When you can very likely end up paying a total of 8 million a year in goalies, its pretty clear why having both doesnt make sense. After another good year, Reimer is going to look at cashing in, and quite possibly Bernier in 2. When have two goalies sharing a large cap hit, such as Schneider and Lou, it doesnt make cap sense paying someone that much to ride the pine. Not to mention players like Gardiner looking for a raise next year, as well as Bolland and Kulemin.

Old
09-17-2013, 08:43 PM
The Beyonder

Oh god! Trade him now, while he still has value.

Old
09-17-2013, 08:57 PM
ponder

All jokes aside, Price is an elite goalie, even if his sv% sucked last year playing behind a team where the forwards got constantly outmuscled around the net, the PK sucked, and the defensive depth sucked (marginal NHL dmen like Diaz, Boulion and Emelin playing way too many minutes). I don't see Bernier being as good as him, but if he is, we're gonna be AWESOME!

Closed Thread