HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Pierre LeBrun: Jonathan Bernier will be as good as Carey Price (2011 version).

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-17-2013, 08:58 PM
  #51
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 30,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
True. I just don't want Bernier to be like Price. He's terribly overrated with a fat paycheque and has played at an elite level for 1/7 seasons. If things aren't bad already, he's terrible in the playoffs.
I think the comparisons are more to do with Price's precision athleticism and calm demeanor more than his specific career arc. But I'm excited to see what happens here.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:58 PM
  #52
Budsfan
Registered User
 
Budsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
When you can very likely end up paying a total of 8 million a year in goalies, its pretty clear why having both doesnt make sense. After another good year, Reimer is going to look at cashing in, and quite possibly Bernier in 2. When have two goalies sharing a large cap hit, such as Schneider and Lou, it doesnt make cap sense paying someone that much to ride the pine. Not to mention players like Gardiner looking for a raise next year, as well as Bolland and Kulemin.
Well I like them to play one year at a time and this year, we have two very good young goal tenders and let next year take care of itself, anything can happen and although together they might command 8 million and then again they might not, you can't compare Luongo and Schnieder and use them as an example, but how about, Price and Budaj, together they are near the 8 mill mark and in this thread, it is saying Bernier may be as good as Price.

If either Bernier or Reimer dominate in goal and one wants Price type money then Nonis will have to decide if we can afford both.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:06 PM
  #53
zeke
#TeamReimer
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 27,810
vCash: 500
Regular Season:

J.Reimer (25): 104gms, .915sv%, 10.0so/gs%, 99.4pts pace
C.Price (26): 310gms, .915sv%, 6.3so/gs%, 89.6pts pace
J.Bernier (25): 62gms, .912sv%, 11.1so/gs%, 95.4pts pace


Playoffs:

J.Reimer (25): 7gms, .923sv%, 0.0so/gs%, 3-4 w/l
C.Price (26): 30gms, .905sv%, 11.7so/gs%, 9-16 w/l
J.Bernier (25): 1gms, 1.000sv%, 0.0so/gs%, 0-0 w/l

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:13 PM
  #54
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,936
vCash: 500
there's a lot of LOL's in this thread.

point being that i guess that's supposed to be a compliment.



fans outside of leaf nation all agree that Canada's goaltending is shaky, and that Bernier could get a shot at the top 3.

so Carey Price, but hopefully better.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:19 PM
  #55
HellasLEAF
Bring back Killer
 
HellasLEAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Greece
Posts: 10,886
vCash: 500
Guys Price is a great goalie. No he isn't playoff proven, but he is still a great goalie.

That's a nice comparison, hoping he is was better though in the end because Price I'm not sold on yet.

Bernier had a great debut. Should have stopped all shots and showed real calm and poise. The guy just looks so polished and the puck handling was a real bonus didn't even realize.

Bernier might have that stone cold demeanor that Quick has. That would be great.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:20 PM
  #56
Budsfan
Registered User
 
Budsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Regular Season:

J.Reimer (25): 104gms, .915sv%, 10.0so/gs%, 99.4pts pace
C.Price (26): 310gms, .915sv%, 6.3so/gs%, 89.6pts pace
J.Bernier (25): 62gms, .912sv%, 11.1so/gs%, 95.4pts pace


Playoffs:

J.Reimer (25): 7gms, .923sv%, 0.0so/gs%, 3-4 w/l
C.Price (26): 30gms, .905sv%, 11.7so/gs%, 9-16 w/l
J.Bernier (25): 1gms, 1.000sv%, 0.0so/gs%, 0-0 w/l
Those are good stats to compare the Goal Tenders and they are all around the same averages and if anything, Reimer is the better Goal Tender but Carlyle's system is a very tight system and they give the other teams shots but nothing dangerous and the only player, to have played under Carlyle's system last year, is Reimer.

It will be very interesting, to see how Bernier does and then compare these same players next year.

I still think we have two great young goal tenders and I think if either is in net, we will have great goal tending.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:29 PM
  #57
jmart21
MISC!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: All Over The Place
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I think it's amusing how there are so many Leaf fans who are so derisive towards Bernier. It doesn't have to be Reimer who leads us to success!
Yep. I feel the same way.

If this article was written about Reimer; people would be doing backflips.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:38 PM
  #58
MonkeyBusiness
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
All jokes aside, Price is an elite goalie, even if his sv% sucked last year playing behind a team where the forwards got constantly outmuscled around the net, the PK sucked, and the defensive depth sucked (marginal NHL dmen like Diaz, Boulion and Emelin playing way too many minutes). I don't see Bernier being as good as him, but if he is, we're gonna be AWESOME!
I agree with Bouillon and Diaz but Emelin was in no way a problem for Montreal last year. I would also say that Gorges was a problem, he had a very bad year. Markov also wasn't very good defensively.

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:38 PM
  #59
diceman934
Registered User
 
diceman934's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NHL player factory
Posts: 4,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I think it's amusing how there are so many Leaf fans who are so derisive towards Bernier. It doesn't have to be Reimer who leads us to success!
It is awful.....they are hoping he does poorly.

diceman934 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:42 PM
  #60
The Blue Devil
Registered User
 
The Blue Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
Those are good stats to compare the Goal Tenders and they are all around the same averages and if anything, Reimer is the better Goal Tender but Carlyle's system is a very tight system and they give the other teams shots but nothing dangerous and the only player, to have played under Carlyle's system last year, is Reimer.

It will be very interesting, to see how Bernier does and then compare these same players next year.

I still think we have two great young goal tenders and I think if either is in net, we will have great goal tending.
That's horse-****! What type of system do you think the Habs have played all these years? Their system is even more defensive then ours not to mention Reimer had to put up with 2 seasons of run and gun hockey.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:44 PM
  #61
ACC1224
Burke was right.
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 26,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I think it's amusing how there are so many Leaf fans who are so derisive towards Bernier. It doesn't have to be Reimer who leads us to success!
It's been like with many players/coaches/managers. It is pretty funny.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:48 PM
  #62
The Blue Devil
Registered User
 
The Blue Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
It is awful.....they are hoping he does poorly.
Isn't it the same on the other side though? To act like it's just "Reimer fan bois" that are hoping Bernier fails is completely blind. The "Bernier fans" are also hoping that Reimer fails and pumping him up as well. Why does it always have to be one or the other with fans(as in fans of all teams, not just the Leafs) when the players are on the same ****** team? Why not hope that both of the 2 high potential goalies can play to their potentials? It would benefit the team much more that way. It was the same with Kadri and Frattin, it's the same with Gardiner and Rielly and now Bernier and Reimer.

Edit: Yes, this is pretty hypocritical coming from me.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:56 PM
  #63
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,972
vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I think it's amusing how there are so many Leaf fans who are so derisive towards Bernier. It doesn't have to be Reimer who leads us to success!
I am neutral towards Bernier; and haven't commented about him either way. But I can understand why people would prefer Reimer.

Reimer was there when Leafs made the playoffs after 9 years. And he did a pretty good job in playoffs too. Maybe, some believe in "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

With Reimer, Leafs have played at 100 points pace. You can't force everyone to think that Leafs will even do better with a goalie half his experience.

Point of this post is not to prove (or attempt to) that Reimer is the better one. But it is unfair to blame people for thinking of Reimer as a better goalie.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:56 PM
  #64
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,936
vCash: 500
It's true there is a solid divide in leaf land:

Grabo / Reims fans vs Clarkson/Bernier/Bozak fans

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:57 PM
  #65
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
It is awful.....they are hoping he does poorly.
Any quotes on actual Leaf fans wanting to see Bernier do poorly? Sure would like to see that. Or does this fall in the same category as you making unsubstanitated claims against a players character and personality, then refusing to back that up. At least your consistent at making fradulent claims.

New Liskeard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:24 PM
  #66
Hanta Yo
Bag it up
 
Hanta Yo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
All jokes aside, Price is an elite goalie, even if his sv% sucked last year playing behind a team where the forwards got constantly outmuscled around the net, the PK sucked, and the defensive depth sucked (marginal NHL dmen like Diaz, Boulion and Emelin playing way too many minutes). I don't see Bernier being as good as him, but if he is, we're gonna be AWESOME!
You make it sound like the team didn't finish in 2nd place in the conference.

Hanta Yo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:26 PM
  #67
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
It is awful.....they are hoping he does poorly.
Still couldnt find any quotes from Leafs fans hoping Bernier does poorly as you claim? Thats what I thought; all talk and cant back it up.

New Liskeard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:59 PM
  #68
Pyrophorus
Registered User
 
Pyrophorus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,449
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Still couldnt find any quotes from Leafs fans hoping Bernier does poorly as you claim? Thats what I thought; all talk and cant back it up.
Why would fans, not want one of the G's to fail.

I hope they both do so well, both of them are in the quest for the Olympics.

#Reims4Sochi as Luongo said.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:02 PM
  #69
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 30,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernier is welcome View Post
It's true there is a solid divide in leaf land:

Grabo / Reims fans vs Clarkson/Bernier/Bozak fans
I think some people have just grown too attached to certain players and personalities and oveblowing the first round playoff appearance because they haven't seen better.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:19 PM
  #70
CanadasTeam
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CanadasTeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tarrana
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
He has got something on James and that's rebound control and superior puck handling skills. Those 2 skills are very important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
It'll certainly be refreshing for it not to be an automatic giveaway inside the blueline every time the goalie goes to play the puck. That has hurt us for a long time now.
I think it's why we acquired him.

If you recall Kiprusoff could have also fill the void however he decided to retire instead

__________________
!! GO LEAFS GO !!
CanadasTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:28 PM
  #71
diceman934
Registered User
 
diceman934's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NHL player factory
Posts: 4,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
Isn't it the same on the other side though? To act like it's just "Reimer fan bois" that are hoping Bernier fails is completely blind. The "Bernier fans" are also hoping that Reimer fails and pumping him up as well. Why does it always have to be one or the other with fans(as in fans of all teams, not just the Leafs) when the players are on the same ****** team? Why not hope that both of the 2 high potential goalies can play to their potentials? It would benefit the team much more that way. It was the same with Kadri and Frattin, it's the same with Gardiner and Rielly and now Bernier and Reimer.

Edit: Yes, this is pretty hypocritical coming from me.
I have posted that I simply do not care who turns out to be the best goalie. I just want to win... as well it strengthens the team to have two goalies who can be number ones.....trade-able assets are highly valuable.

diceman934 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:29 PM
  #72
The Newfoundlander
Registered Troll
 
The Newfoundlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,574
vCash: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadasTeam View Post
I think it's why we acquired him.

If you recall Kiprusoff could have also fill the void however he decided to retire instead
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't recall Kiprusoff having good puck handling skills.

Anyways, I fully expect Bernier to be the starter on opening night for a few reasons.

1. He's looks so calm and composed, which should help the team settle down if they have any nerves on opening night.

2. It's in Montreal, So him being from Laval, Quebec, it seems likely they'll give him a "home" start.

I just hope they give Reimer the Sens.

The Newfoundlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:30 PM
  #73
diceman934
Registered User
 
diceman934's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NHL player factory
Posts: 4,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Still couldnt find any quotes from Leafs fans hoping Bernier does poorly as you claim? Thats what I thought; all talk and cant back it up.
What do you back up? I am also not the only one who made the same observation.....you are so transparent.

diceman934 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:31 PM
  #74
7even
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I think some people have just grown too attached to certain players and personalities and oveblowing the first round playoff appearance because they haven't seen better.
Maybe, but this is a fandom -- you're allowed to have your favourite players, even if those preferences can be sometimes irrational.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:36 PM
  #75
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!
 
BayStBullies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: @BayStBullies
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 500
Bernier the boats!

BayStBullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.