HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre LeBrun: Jonathan Bernier will be as good as Carey Price (2011 version).

Old
09-17-2013, 11:45 PM
DionPhaneuf3

vCash: 500
Uh...not really the best example. .904 save percentage? No thank you. Price used to be good, last couple years it seems like he gave up on his team. This guy kept that team on his back since he got there, i think it's too much now. Unless they make some major moves he looks like he's gonna keep declining. Don't like the Price comparison.

DionPhaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 12:47 AM
marquee

I'm done wit this forum. Jesus with the goalie drought we have bad since Belfour are you guys really picking apart price lol.

Reimer is overrated here. Thank god we have a guy to take the reigns tho.

marquee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 01:00 AM
Aplayaz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquee View Post
I'm done wit this forum. Jesus with the goalie drought we have bad since Belfour are you guys really picking apart price lol.

if Reimer was OVERRATED... people wouldnt be beating their jerky over Bernier

Reimer is a great goalie... and he is under rated

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 04:18 AM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Nice words from LeBrun. Not much to take away from half of preseason game #2 but certai ly his puck handling was immediately evident. Everything else being equal hypothetically that's a huge plus, I love goalies that handle the puck well, makes such a huge difference.

I say this as a huge Reimer fan, been tracking him since his ECHL days and he has always stepped up to odds stacked against him. Never count this guy out. I expect him to be ferocious battling for 1A. Nothing but good can come from it. Scratch goaltending off the team building to do list, it's exciting.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 05:40 AM
BayStreetBullies*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I think it's amusing how there are so many Leaf fans who are so derisive towards Bernier. It doesn't have to be Reimer who leads us to success!
Would you object to that?

BayStreetBullies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 05:54 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 274
Looking forward to the battle. Seeing these guys with NHL players in front of them will give us a better idea of where they stand. This is the biggest battle in camp and will be entertaining to watch.

Reimer killed Ottawa last season..wonder if he starts Thursday.

crump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 07:06 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:

Bernier hasnt proven squat in the NHL. Remember how Toskala was a top goalie stuck as a back up? Recall how Gus was the top goalie in Europe? Remember how Raycroft was a young Calder winner? Weve been spoon fed junk about our goalies since Belfour so forgive me if im not willing to throw Reimer under the bus for the newest shiny toy

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 07:16 AM
Joey Hoser

Quote:

You say Reimer is overrated, but you "thank god" we have a guy with less games, with worse stats on a betteer team to take the reins?

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 07:26 AM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Bernier hasnt proven squat in the NHL. Remember how Toskala was a top goalie stuck as a back up? Recall how Gus was the top goalie in Europe? Remember how Raycroft was a young Calder winner? Weve been spoon fed junk about our goalies since Belfour so forgive me if im not willing to throw Reimer under the bus for the newest shiny toy
Bingo.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 07:45 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
Guys Price is a great goalie. No he isn't playoff proven, but he is still a great goalie.

That's a nice comparison, hoping he is was better though in the end because Price I'm not sold on yet.

Bernier had a great debut. Should have stopped all shots and showed real calm and poise. The guy just looks so polished and the puck handling was a real bonus didn't even realize.

Bernier might have that stone cold demeanor that Quick has. That would be great.
Tell me, what is so great about Carey Price? In the past people have mentioned how young he is, well yes he's still fairly young but he'll be 26 I believe or 27 so he's about hit his prime and yet hasn't done anything in the playoffs. Hab fans were crying over him like he was the next Patrick Roy. OMG our saviour! our saviour! they were proclaiming. He has very good numbers, not great numbers but very good numbers. Carey Price is one of the most overrated players I have ever watched period. The guy has been complete crap for the past two years. He couldn't make a big save last year if his life depended on it. And don't give the terrible excuse about the team in front of him. "great" goalies make up for that.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 08:25 AM
Twist and Shout

Price done at what, 26 years old?

Are you folks serious?

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 08:47 AM
Clark4Ever

Not much of an endorsement at all by Lebrun, lol...

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 08:49 AM
Frankie

Quote:
there are examples the other way too. kiprusoff was "stuck" as a back-up before going to Calgary. and I believe a young dominik hasek too.

why do we care about either goalie? hopefully one of them will step up and lead us to many wins. in a few years, there's a good chance neither of them will still be with the team, so who cares about them?

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 08:54 AM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
why do we care about either goalie? hopefully one of them will step up and lead us to many wins. in a few years, there's a good chance neither of them will still be with the team, so who cares about them?

It's a hockey forum. People often talk about players on their favorite team.

I'm not sure what you're really thinking here.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 08:57 AM
Suntouchable13

Who cares who is the #1 goalie at the end of the day? Let's just get some wins, man! Just wins, baby, that's all I care about.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 09:05 AM
diceman934

Quote:
Why are you comparing Bernier to those duds?

Who is throwing Reimer under the bus?

Bernier has proven that he is an NHL goalie, just how good remaims to be seen.

Reimer has proven that he is an NHL goalie as well. Both need to prove that they can be a top goalie.....I simply do not care which one is....I just want one of them to be an top NHL goalie.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 09:15 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Nice so Bernier is Brodeur and Price in one.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Pheasant the peasant
Lupul Fan

Quote:
I think Bernier is going to end up establishing himself as the sterter at some point this season. But this is still a great post!

If Reimer is the guy who plays better, then he should start more games. May the best man win (games). No one should be deciding the winner of this competition yet.

I think that Reimer has given this team the best performances in a long time, and was good enough to get this team into the playoffs for the first time in the 'new' NHL. That is something that shouldn't be just thrown aside because a different guy has first round pedigree. At this point in time, Reimer has the better track record, no question. And all of his accomplishments were done here with the Leafs.

Pheasant the peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 09:28 AM
ToneBone03
LEAFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
Bernier looked incredibly comfortable in net last night and not once was I worried about a goal being scored on him other than when he made that sick poke check (and I was only worried because I'm not used to that kind of play by any of our goalies recently). If he plays that comfortably all te time than I would much rather him in net than Reiner. I love Reimer but there's definitely times where he plays like he's not comfortable. Just my opinion here
I know exactly the play you're talking about. I was so excited when he did it because the last goalie we had that would make the same play was Belfour. That was eight seasons ago.

Trying to temper my expectations here a bit but I'm excited to see how Bernier performs over a large number of games!

ToneBone03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 09:31 AM
I Am The Stig
SPACESHIP!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasant the peasant View Post
I think that Reimer has given this team the best performances in a long time, and was good enough to get this team into the playoffs for the first time in the 'new' NHL. That is something that shouldn't be just thrown aside because a different guy has first round pedigree. At this point in time, Reimer has the better track record, no question. And all of his accomplishments were done here with the Leafs.
Pretty much this. Lets not forget too that when Reimer came into the NHL for the first time, he did very well despite Ron Wilson's system...something that wasn't easy for any goalie in his tenure.

I Am The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Budsfan

Quote:
I agree and it's good to know Reimer, can take over in goal and be the number 1 Goal Tender however with the limited experience Bernier has, he has proven when backing up Quick, that he is quite cabable of performing very well and I very much think, we have a great one, two goal tending tandem, going forward.

LeBrun's article is speculation on his part but I would hope he is right, good goal tending, is as I have said many times, like pitching in baseball, you can't win without it.

Budsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
A year from now, only one of Reimer/Bernier will be on the team.

This is make or break for both these guys. IMO, if Bernier is our #1, Reimer gets traded to the Jets (Pavelec sucks), if Reimer is our #1, Bernier probably gets traded to Philly.

I think they are both going to have FANTASTIC years. Bernier finally getting his chance in a 1A/1B situation, Reimer finally getting some tough competition.

That's all that matters for the Leafs. I don't know why people call it a controversy, I call it an opportunity.

I do feel this is true though: If Reimer and Bernier switched draft positions, nobody in the NHL would claim that Bernier is a better goalie than Reimer.

Draft position is a funny thing.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 09:51 AM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Why are you comparing Bernier to those duds?

Who is throwing Reimer under the bus?

Bernier has proven that he is an NHL goalie, just how good remaims to be seen.

Reimer has proven that he is an NHL goalie as well. Both need to prove that they can be a top goalie.....I simply do not care which one is....I just want one of them to be an top NHL goalie.
Not that he won't be better than them, but for the record, both raycroft and toskala had better track record than bernier when we traded for them.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 10:24 AM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post

It's a hockey forum. People often talk about players on their favorite team.

I'm not sure what you're really thinking here.
yeah fair enough. point being, I don't see why we'd care which of them steps up to be the number one guy. as long as one does, that should satisfy us as fans.

it won't satisfy all though, as some would rather be proven "right" than see the leafs actually win.

Old
09-18-2013, 10:25 AM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Not that he won't be better than them, but for the record, both raycroft and toskala had better track record than bernier when we traded for them.
that's not true at all.

and commence with going through their track records.....