HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What to learn next?

Old
08-30-2013, 07:56 AM
AntsSheffield

vCash: 500
What to learn next?

Older noob hockey player and only really been skating a year. I've just got to the point where my fwd crossovers are good and solid, so time to move on to the next thing.

I can skate forward with a good stride, I can cross over both sides, I can hockey stop. I can backward skate but it's nowhere near as good as my forward skating.

So, what to learn next:

* tight turns? or
* forward to backwards pivots?

I'm in a learn-to-play scheme and want to be as 'useful' as possible as quick as possible.

The tight turn will get me playing a quicker, more agile game, although forwards only.

The pivots will get me moving backwards more and will probably aid overall skating development more, but will be slower to learn.

Thoughts anyone?

AntsSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 08:15 AM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntsSheffield View Post
Older noob hockey player and only really been skating a year. I've just got to the point where my fwd crossovers are good and solid, so time to move on to the next thing.

I can skate forward with a good stride, I can cross over both sides, I can hockey stop. I can backward skate but it's nowhere near as good as my forward skating.

So, what to learn next:

* tight turns? or
* forward to backwards pivots?

I'm in a learn-to-play scheme and want to be as 'useful' as possible as quick as possible.

The tight turn will get me playing a quicker, more agile game, although forwards only.

The pivots will get me moving backwards more and will probably aid overall skating development more, but will be slower to learn.

Thoughts anyone?
What position are you planning on playing? I personally think that learning defensive type hockey is a great way to contribute quickly, so forward to backwards is my opinion.

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 09:03 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
I would say forwards to backwards pivots then tights turns

but you could probably work on both at the same time

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 11:06 AM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
I'm trying to think which I use more, and although the answer would probably be tight turns, if you can't pivot backwards it can really hurt in the offensive zone I think, and not just playing defensively. You've got to be able to do that to open up for passes etc on the cycle. I'd also go with forwards to backwards transitions, then tight turns. Both are very important for sure!

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 11:37 AM
opivy
Sauce King

vCash: 966
Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
I would work on them both - make up a drill that forces you to do both.

Set up a cone at the red line, skate at it and make a tight turn right, put another cone at the blue line and do a tight turn left, then race for the far blue line and do a backwards pivot and skate backwards to the start.

Do this until your comfy and then add in a puck, next add in a good skater playing "defense" in front of you.

This is how I teach new players, I make it into something a bit more organic and make sure it's not just one boring repetitive piece.

opivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 11:58 AM
AntsSheffield

Quote:
Originally Posted by opivy View Post
I would work on them both - make up a drill that forces you to do both.

Set up a cone at the red line, skate at it and make a tight turn right, put another cone at the blue line and do a tight turn left, then race for the far blue line and do a backwards pivot and skate backwards to the start <snip>
I will work on both. But I can't set up cones etc. This is just public skate stuff. I tend to have a plan of what to concentrate on.

After a week of going every day and really smashing the crossovers, I'm going to work a solid 15 mins each of pivots and tight turns into my routine. I'll then get some little drills together and work the lot together.

My new training plan is:

Crossovers an outside edges [solidifying existing skills]
Stops [ditto, inc weak side]
Acceleration [from stop and moving; build into above routines]
Pivot/Mohawks [learn it then burn it]
Tight turns [ditto]
Backward skating [as part of pivots]

Old
08-31-2013, 01:39 PM
PS12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntsSheffield View Post
I will work on both. But I can't set up cones etc. This is just public skate stuff. I tend to have a plan of what to concentrate on.

After a week of going every day and really smashing the crossovers, I'm going to work a solid 15 mins each of pivots and tight turns into my routine. I'll then get some little drills together and work the lot together.

My new training plan is:

Crossovers an outside edges [solidifying existing skills]
Stops [ditto, inc weak side]
Acceleration [from stop and moving; build into above routines]
Pivot/Mohawks [learn it then burn it]
Tight turns [ditto]
Backward skating [as part of pivots]
I do a lot of publuc skating. I just use the marks on the ice like the lines in the face off circles.

PS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 05:23 PM
Greasy Sliders

I'd say turns, then work on Mohawk/Eagle turns and work on opening up the
hips, then start working on pivots

Greasy Sliders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 07:59 AM
AntsSheffield

Just had a session at the rink and my tight turns to the left are alright. Sometimes my inner skates is skidding across the ice (almost like a stop) but at least I'm confident in my solidity in the turn to control that and tip it to get an edge and crossover out. My outer skate is getting a good crunch into the ice too. Now to work on tight turns to the right.

Fwd to backward transition is a whole other story tho

Old
09-02-2013, 03:16 AM
izzy3

I'd work on both (or everyhing you can think of), because hockey skating is pretty mixed art, you will be using all kinds of techniques depending on the situation.

Regarding the tight turns: your inner skate shout NOT slide, but should carry your weight and cut into the ice. If it isn't you wil not be able to turn as tight as the other players. Sound like your inner leg "hangs" try to move it a little in front of you, it should "lead" into the turn. Also do some outer edge drills (scissor skate) to improve your trust in your outer edges.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 06:37 AM
AntsSheffield

Update:

Tight turn practice going well (but only to the left for now).

Re Mohawks/transitions, I came to the conclusion that I need to be able to skate backwards way better than I do right now for me to get these, or even for them to be useful.

So, top priorities now are tight turns and backwards.

Old
09-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Forward and backward crossovers, tight turns with and without a puck, cutting and pushing on each edge forward and backwards, pivots and transitions, stopping on both sides using both edges, etc. Skating's THE most important part of playing hockey at any level.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote