HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Context and the Career of Bryan Murray

Old
09-17-2013, 10:16 AM
Waganna

vCash: 500
Context and the Career of Bryan Murray

Quote:
It's been a summer in need of context.

Daniel Alfredsson's abrupt departure left a sizeable void, not just in Ottawa's lineup, but in fans' understanding of the decision. What was needed through most of July was context. While the full story remains somewhat elusive, all sides - Alfie, Eugene Melnyk, Bryan Murray, J.P. Barry - have given their versions.

To evaluate the tenure of current general manager Bryan Murray in Ottawa, context is needed. That context comes from his time in Ottawa; he's been in the nation's capital for almost a decade, first as head coach and then as general manager, for close to a decade now. But that context also comes from his more than three decades of NHL experience as a coach and GM and his life before the NHL.
http://www.silversevensens.com/2013/...f-bryan-murray

Thought this was an interesting read, wanted to share it!

Waganna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:03 AM
Maxd

That was an awesome read .. thanks for the link.

My favorite part:

Quote:
In one pre-season game, Murray, feeling his players were being taken advantage of, challenged an opposition coach. 'Murray, you always were a chicken****,' said the other coach before being pinned up against the wall behind the bench by Murray. 'You got the wrong Murray,' hissed Bryan

Maxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:37 AM
VVS

Great read.

I forgot how long he's been here in Ottawa.

VVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 12:13 PM
SlapJack
Scum bag Sens

He has an impeccable resume and impressive career. We're lucky to have him.

It has been 5 years since he took over the reins as GM and this team is almost completely remolded into his own. Outside 5-6 names on the NHL roster and one or two in the AHL, he has picked, signed, or traded for each player. While that's not radically different than a lot of teams' turnover over a 5 year period and he did have a decent base to work with, we didn't go through a horrible stretch measured in years of pathetic soul-sucking bottom-feeding results.

There were some hard times along the way, but Murray managed to build a top 10 team that's still getting better, with a stacked prospect pool waiting in the wings. All this with only 2 top 10 draft picks, with none in the top 5. Ottawa is set for years post-Murray and if they can't win it all before he decides to retire, he set a nice precedent in his tenure with Detroit and Anaheim where they managed to win it all shortly after he left.

I have a lot of optimism for the next few seasons and Murray has played a huge role in that.

SlapJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 12:48 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 50
Interesting read. Particularly because, as the article identifies, Murray has done a lot but is probably on the outside looking in when it comes to the Hall. He simply doesn't have a Cup.

Also cool to learn he transitioned from CHL to AHL to NHL in two seasons.

09-17-2013, 01:30 PM
tehdee

an article that mainstream ottawa media should have penned ages ago...

one of the most prolific characters-- on or off the ice, to come through this organization.

tehdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 01:34 PM
Waganna

Yeah, going from CHL -> NHL in 2 seasons doesn't really happen anymore.

Waganna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Senators Growing
Next year again...

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxd View Post
That was an awesome read .. thanks for the link.

My favorite part:
Is there video of that? I know he confronted Jim Fox but if this happened in the NHL there would have been a fine. I can believe it happened in the CHL or whatever though.

He might make the Hall as a builder. His coaching record has been pretty ehh...a lot of first and second round exits, a finals run here. Helped build the Wings, Panthers into contenders. Evaluation incomplete here but it looks decent. At some point Murray needs to spit or get off the pot in Ottawa though, in other words, produce a winner or step aside and get a finisher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdee View Post
an article that mainstream ottawa media should have penned ages ago...

one of the most prolific characters-- on or off the ice, to come through this organization.
MSM in Ottawa constantly pumps Murray's tires. Not sure how prolific he is, I know he got to a finals with the Pats (?) a while back but he's not won anything at the NHL level as of yet.

Senators Growing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 03:20 PM
16w

Quote:
At a home game two years later, Murray had an epic battle with referee Bill McCreary. Arguing a call too vehemently, Murray received a bench minor. During the intermission, Murray went after the official, and ended up in a shouting and shoving match with linesman Ron Asseltine. Both Murray and Asseltine were suspended for 3 games.
Now I know why Bill McCreary always screws over the Sens! He's had it in for Mr. Murray for decades!

16w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 03:48 PM
Caeldan
Whippet Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waganna View Post
Yeah, going from CHL -> NHL in 2 seasons doesn't really happen anymore.
Sometimes it happens in one! (Dale Hunter) ;-)

Caeldan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

Great article for a great GM. BM is easily one of the best GMs in the league.

Smeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 03:59 PM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

Someone post the Murray .gifs from the playoffs.

White Goodman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classless Walrus View Post
Great read.

I forgot how long he's been here in Ottawa.
It was only a few days ago that I suddenly realized that Murray has been our longest serving GM, which surprised me. Mainly because I can still recall when he replaced Muckler, who had been the GM for as long as I had been following the team.

Neil Patrick Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Patvolcom65
@Patvolcom65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Pelton View Post
Someone post the Murray .gifs from the playoffs.

Patvolcom65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 04:57 PM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

Excellent read. Thanks for sharing this.

QuietOnTheFront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 12:36 AM
UFA Unicorn
#peskysens

I believe that Murray will be in the Hall of Fame. If you've been a coach/GM for 30+ years, you don't need to win a Cup.

UFA Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 12:54 AM
Ed Wood

I don't think he'll make the Hall unless we win a cup.

The writer references "the desperate attempts to contend and stay afloat when the team's window had closed." This is the part of Murray's legacy that is most vexing. I've never been sure how much to blame Murray for his failure to re-build early in his tenure as Ottawa GM. Melnyk may have to take the Lion's share of the blame for that.

I guess we'll only know for sure if Murray talks freely after he retires.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 07:50 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
I don't think he'll make the Hall unless we win a cup.

The writer references "the desperate attempts to contend and stay afloat when the team's window had closed." This is the part of Murray's legacy that is most vexing. I've never been sure how much to blame Murray for his failure to re-build early in his tenure as Ottawa GM. Melnyk may have to take the Lion's share of the blame for that.

I guess we'll only know for sure if Murray talks freely after he retires.
Why would you rebuild early?

25yo Heatley - 23yo Spezza - 33yo Alfie
29yo Schaefer - 26yo Fisher - 25yo Comrie
24yo Vermette - 25yo Kelly - 27yo Neil

29yo Redden - 20yo Meszaros
28yo Phillips - 24yo Volchenkov

23yo Emery

Those are the ages from the Stanley Cup Finals season, the season before Murray took over.

Perhaps if the team didn't wind up having amongst the worst goaltending in the league for the first 4 seasons of Murray's tenure (plus, some of the other bizarre moves he made) it wouldn't have seemed so dire.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Xspyrit

vCash: 1000
Murray had to patch holes and continue to "contend" in an attempt to "win it for Alfie". Even if the Sens had a relatively young team for a contender, they also had several problems :

- Probably the weakest goaltending pipeline in the league
- One of the worst prospect pools in the league
- No competent NHL coach to replace Murray

Add Emery and Heatley fiascos and regressions of Meszaros and Redden, then Alfie getting older

And the fact that Ottawa isn't a top flight destination for UFAs

=

REBUILD

Sens had to rebuild someday after making the playoffs 11 years in a row (IIRC), it was inevitable... If we had a good prospects pool when needed, things would have been very differently. A small market like Ottawa can't survive in this league without a top-notch prospects pool.

Murray probably "saved" this franchise with Erik Karlsson's selection at the 2008 draft... and how they have drafted since

EDIT : 12000th post

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 10:17 AM
DJB

vCash: 4386
Love Murray and his passion for the game. THe thing is, he seems like a guy that genuinely cares about the players and their well being. From trading Fisher to Nashville to be with Carey is one thought that comes to mind. Such a humble and nice guy too.

The article alludes to Tim taking over for Bryan at some point and I do expect that as well. If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that Bryan stays on as a consultant or "special advisor" to the GM as well. Gives him some more time to hopefully win the Cup.

Win it for Murray!

DJB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:30 PM
The King of Town

Really interesting blog post.

One nit-pick:

When Murray decided not to qualify Kariya, it was apparently with a handshake agreement that Kariya would re-sign a long term deal at a lower price than his Q.O. (which was for a ridiculous amount at the time). When Kariya then turned around and bolted as a UFA, Murray said he felt betrayed.

The signing of Fedorov was in direct response to this, and had the reek of desperation to it. Fedorov really didn't work out and was later dumped to Columbus for Beauchemin, a guy Columbus had picked up on waivers just a year prior.

The article makes it seem like the whole thing was part of some master plan.

In any case, kudos to the writer. I like Murray quite a bit and I learned some things in there.

The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote