HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moreau signs for three more years.

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2003, 06:54 AM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Moreau signs for three more years.

Reported in the Edmonton Sun this morning, Moreau has signed a contract that will have him an Oilers until 2006-07.

The announcment is a formality and could come as early as today.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:00 AM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Reported in the Edmonton Sun this morning, Moreau has signed a contract that will have him an Oilers until 2006-07.

That's four years including this one. What gives. All of a sudden Pisani, Cross and Moreau have long term contracts when for awhile they were all set to expire at the end of this season?

So much for all of our predictions that he would be gone by Christmas. I know you trade contracts but this doesn't sound like the kind of contract you sign before shipping a guy out.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:04 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44

Sigh...and it was starting out to be such a nice day too.

Forget David Blaine, Moreau is the new Houdini for this generation.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:04 AM
speeds

just when I'm starting to get happy with Lowe he makes a move like this...

I'll have to see the numbers before I criticize, but Moreau is the EXACT kind of guy you'd think would end up getting a paycut post-lockout (3rd/4th liners who are fairly replaceable); this contract could be (assuming it's at 1.6 mil the next 3 years, which is probably a wrong assumption) overpaying the guy by 600K a year, valuable money here in EDM.

I guess Lowe might be worried he could become a UFA after a lockout. Of course, that just means a bunch of other guys like Moreau would become available, but that's just speculation.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:26 AM
nikeisevil

Send a message via MSN to nikeisevil
I have a theory.

I think MacT was tired of veterans leaving the team and convinced Lowe to keep one.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:33 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeisevil
I have a theory.

I think MacT was tired of veterans leaving the team and convinced Lowe to keep one.
If you subscribe to this theory, wouldn't you agree that Smyth, Smith, and Salo would suit this? With these three, along with Cross, and Ferguson, why keep Moreau around as a moral victory?

Old
09-28-2003, 07:34 AM
serum114

Now, I was one of the first passengers on the "Moreau out of town" train, long before Rosie was gone in fact. However, at that time I also said that one of the three MGM members should stick around for three or four years to provide that veteran leadership. I was voting for Rosie, but here we are.

Seeing as how Lowe wants to build a championship team post-2004 he needs a couple hard-nosed vets to be a good influence over the course of those first few seasons. Moreau is the best candidate up front. Unlike Smyth, it is unlikely he will price himself out of our budget. He also brings more than just his 3rd/4th line minutes as, with Marchant gone, he and York will likely anchor our PK. Paying 1.5-2 million for a player who eats up 15 minutes a game (10 ES, 5 PK) and isn't a liability defensively makes sense considering all the kids they're bringing along.

My only hope now is they take the same approach with Staios who, in my opinion, is that same kind of solid-but-not-spectacular kind of player.

My 2 cents...

Old
09-28-2003, 07:47 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by serum114
Seeing as how Lowe wants to build a championship team post-2004 he needs a couple hard-nosed vets to be a good influence over the course of those first few seasons. Moreau is the best candidate up front. Unlike Smyth, it is unlikely he will price himself out of our budget. He also brings more than just his 3rd/4th line minutes as, with Marchant gone, he and York will likely anchor our PK. Paying 1.5-2 million for a player who eats up 15 minutes a game (10 ES, 5 PK) and isn't a liability defensively makes sense considering all the kids they're bringing along.
EXACTLY! GREAT signing! Don't you guys remember how bad we missed Grier at the start of last season?!?!?! Although the checkers who are good for aronu 30 points don't seem that important, they are - especially with the intangables that Moreau brings. Smyth was signed for two years, so he can't become a UFA after the CBA (it was two years right? or three?).
Anyways, great signing - now you can stop the Moreau trades props!!!

Old
09-28-2003, 07:51 AM
speeds

serum and thome:

those are good points, I guess my only concern is the terms of the deal, I don't dislike having Moreau around to be honest, except for his salary.

I've been pretty hard on Moreau in the past, and in theory it's nice to think about suiting up another of Rita/Salmo, but that veteran presence doesn't hurt either.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:54 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
serum and thome:

those are good points, I guess my only concern is the terms of the deal, I don't dislike having Moreau around to be honest, except for his salary.

I've been pretty hard on Moreau in the past, and in theory it's nice to think about suiting up another of Rita/Salmo, but that veteran presence doesn't hurt either.
it more then "doesn't hurt either"
IT HELPS! This has become a common thing with Oilers fans - we've had marginal success with all young kids so we think - why do we need that old guy who gets paid more? Well experience is a important thing to have on a team, and besides Smyth, Moreau has the most experience in the dressing room.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:57 AM
nikeisevil

Send a message via MSN to nikeisevil
Yes.

That's my point exactly. Look at it from MacT's point of view. Last year he lost Niinimaa, Carter, and Marchant. It probably peeved him a bit. These were players who learned his system and he could count on. I think when he was questioning whether or not he would return as coach this year - the keeping of veterans was of vital importance for him. Lowe probably agreed and that's why Moreau is remaining an Oiler.

Old
09-28-2003, 08:12 AM
Mr Sakich

this signing tells me one thing - lowe is trading comrie and one of the kids. Look at the guys allready signed or on one way deals or guaranteed to be on the big club

laraque
smyth
hemsky
izzy
horcoff
reasoner
york
devo
pisani
chimera
torres
moreau

one of selmo, wright, or sarno will be this year's version of swanson or pisan - the cheap designated sitter.

that leaves rita, stoll, and comrie for one spot. Rita and stoll should not be sent down as they have nothing left to learn there. IMO, this signing guarantees a comrie trade for a dman as the one guy I though lowe was going to trade was ethan.

Old
09-28-2003, 08:57 AM
elphy101

I'd be willing to bet that Moreau took a paycut in his 4 year extension. The Oilers needed to a solid veteran for the third line and now they have one. I can't seem him getting 4 years at 1.6. My guess is it's four years at something like 1.2 million/year.

Moreau, Reasoner and Pisani will be a great checking line for several years to come I think.

Old
09-28-2003, 09:17 AM
Lowetide

It tells me one thing: they love him, pure and complete devotion. Moreau has alot of things going for him, but this contract is out of step with his value. Doesn't matter. Lowe/MacT have a gameplan and Moreau is in it.

Old
09-28-2003, 09:27 AM
mamettt

Damn. It's raining here in the city and my mood just turned even more sour. I agree with speeds, LT and others that this contract does not reflect at all good asset management. Moreau is a replacable 3rd liner, who at 28 isn't going to all of a sudden discover his hands. With chimera, rita, izzy, smyth, and torres at the left side, moreau is totally and utterly expendable. Yet we give him a three year deal? While a talent like Rita gets to take a backseat? I like what moreau brings to the table, but post lockout, talent like his is going to be very easy to find on the market for appreciably less than what were paying him now. A one year leadership, pk, glue guy type of role is one thing, but a three year commtiment? Sigh....

Old
09-28-2003, 09:36 AM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
I like the news, the Oilers really missed Grier on the right for a good amount of time until Pisani came out of nowhere

I just think Moreau took a small paycut for his new long term contract?

Old
09-28-2003, 09:57 AM
mudcrutch79

Count me amongst those who think that this deal sucks.

Kevin Lowe better have extracted some nice concessions from Moreau in exchange for it, and even then, I'm not wild about the deal. With the market for players over the age of 30 being so weak in the offseason, a player with experience and grit could easily have been found. We're talking about guys who can play 13:30 a game, with about 2 minutes of that being PK time. Just as an example of a player who filled this role last year, and was available as a UFA...Magnus Arvedson.

He signed with Vancouver for $1.5 mil for one year, but may well have taken less for a longer term. He is undoubtedly a superior defensive player to Moreau, and although less physical, he also takes a lot fewer penalties. Given the emphasis on size over the past while, the Oilers could have afforded to go smaller here. Instead, we're stuck with a guy who takes tons of dumb penalties, couldn't put the puck in the ocean, and has never been beyond the first round. At around the same money presumably, and for four years.

Great move Kevin.

Old
09-28-2003, 10:02 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I agree, I am a huge Kevin fan but some of his signings over the summer have baffled me. Why is he giving 3 year contracts to marginal talents? Pisani, Moreau, Cross? I don't mind any of them being here this year, but do I really want them in a post CBA world? I don't think so. And it isn't like it is going to be easy to unload these guys with these contract too...

I don't understand then mentality. I would have prefered he just signed Comrie to a 3 year deal instead. At least he is young.

Old
09-28-2003, 10:40 AM
itsmagic

I think it's time to recognize that fans like myself have the right to speculate and 'make trades' all they want. But since I am not in the locker room, or on the ice, or behind the bench every day, I defer to the experience and hockey sense of Lowe and MacT who I presume can see the value (and liability) of each of the player assets they have much better than I can with an eye on the economic reality.

I do not doubt for a moment that there is a long term plan by the Oilers management to ensure the team is competitive and fun to watch past the trench warfare of the CBA.

I like what Moreau brings to the team in this regard - some veteran leadership.

Old
09-28-2003, 10:47 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamettt
Damn. It's raining here in the city and my mood just turned even more sour. I agree with speeds, LT and others that this contract does not reflect at all good asset management. Moreau is a replacable 3rd liner, who at 28 isn't going to all of a sudden discover his hands. With chimera, rita, izzy, smyth, and torres at the left side, moreau is totally and utterly expendable. Yet we give him a three year deal? While a talent like Rita gets to take a backseat? I like what moreau brings to the table, but post lockout, talent like his is going to be very easy to find on the market for appreciably less than what were paying him now. A one year leadership, pk, glue guy type of role is one thing, but a three year commtiment? Sigh....
People keep saying these guys will be easy to get post '04. Well that is complete presumption. We don't know that those type will all of a sudden flood the market for cheap and will want to sign with the Oilers. Moreau is a great Oiler. People, we aren't rebuilding here! We are growing with what we have. To trade Moreau and let Rita play would be something a rebuliding team would do. That isn't the Oilers goal at all this year.

Old
09-28-2003, 11:36 AM
barto

To be honest, I don't think this new 3-yr deal (replacing the previous one-year deal?) means that Moreau won't be traded...in fact, it's easier to trade a guy who's under contract for another year or two (or three) than a guy without a contract or who's about to become a free agent (UFA or RFA) as the team that gets him will have to negotiate a contract. If there are arbitration rights involved, then that's a real wild card, too. This way it's a known dollar value for a number of years, which has got to appeal to quite a few teams out there.

I don't mind having Ethan around for a little while, but I could still see him traded this season...

Bart

Old
09-28-2003, 11:47 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

You HAVE to have guys like Moreau on your team to win! I mean Detroit has Maltby/Draper/McCarty and those three are a HUGE HUGE HUGE part of Detroits success. Moreau is our McCarty!!!! We need him!!!! He's not just some spare plug in part!

Old
09-28-2003, 11:52 AM
FacelessButcher

Is anyone sure its a 3yr deal I thought it was 3yrs in addition to his 1yr. he already signed for. I am in favour of this deal Moreau is a great leader and helps out the kids last survivour of our once great checking line, I remember Kevin once claimed he might make Moreau captain someday if he goes through the duration of the whole deal he probably will be as Smyth and Smith will more than likely be long gone.

Old
09-28-2003, 12:05 PM
hockeyaddict101

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serum114
Now, I was one of the first passengers on the "Moreau out of town" train, long before Rosie was gone in fact. However, at that time I also said that one of the three MGM members should stick around for three or four years to provide that veteran leadership. I was voting for Rosie, but here we are.

My only hope now is they take the same approach with Staios who, in my opinion, is that same kind of solid-but-not-spectacular kind of player.

My 2 cents...
and as I think I mentioned in a post in the past, MacTavish hinted that it would be Moreau that they keep when he said "the average fan has no idea how valuable Moreau is, but the people in this dressing room do".

He said that a few years ago but I knew then that Moreau would be the one that stayed.

Old
09-28-2003, 12:07 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
Is anyone sure its a 3yr deal I thought it was 3yrs in addition to his 1yr. he already signed for. I am in favour of this deal Moreau is a great leader and helps out the kids last survivour of our once great checking line, I remember Kevin once claimed he might make Moreau captain someday if he goes through the duration of the whole deal he probably will be as Smyth and Smith will more than likely be long gone.
My post is directly from the paper, the contract expires at the end of the 2007-08 season, meaning that it is this year and then three more.

So basically a four year deal

Closed Thread