HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moreau signs for three more years.

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2003, 01:10 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
My post is directly from the paper, the contract expires at the end of the 2007-08 season, meaning that it is this year and then three more.

So basically a four year deal
right on! that means we have him locked up till he's in his 30's!!!!!! (can you imagine a 30 year old Oiler forward!?!?!?!?!?)

Old
09-28-2003, 01:33 PM
zamboni

Old
09-28-2003, 02:05 PM
HockeySense85

Until I see the monetary value of this deal, I can't make a informed comment. Nonetheless heres my two cents:

The thing that makes no sense is that Lowe is playing hardball with Comrie and pretty much offered Marchant a ride to the airport. Yet he seems to have let Pisani and Moreau get away without a fight.

I certainly did not like the Pisani deal earlier this summer. Make no mistake, I have no problems with Fernando sitting as an extra forward or even playing as a 3rd liner. However, last year Pisani played for peanuts (NHL wise anyway) and this year I think they could have signed him again to a similar deal. Pisani, like Moreau, had little leverage. Pisani especially could have been forced into the qualifying offer. Think about it! Do you really think Pisani would sit out with Rita, Torres, Chimera, Salmo, and Stoll all looking to take his spot? He would have had zero choice but to sign, or risk being an AHLer for a very long time!

With the young guys all pushing to make the club, why would they ever give Pisani a one way three year deal? I agree he should have had the upper hand to start camp, but to just give the guy a spot is not the best management tactic if you ask me.

Old
09-28-2003, 02:13 PM
oildrop

Pisani making $600,000 is "peanuts" in today's NHL. That is 1million less then the League average.

Old
09-28-2003, 02:28 PM
FacelessButcher

League average is $1.7million now 1.1 million difference. This is how Pisani's contract breaks down
yr1/yr2/y3 = $0.6/$0.655/$0.780
so 3yrs for $2.035million a little higher than I would like but as oildrop said this is peanuts in todays salary inflated NHL

Old
09-28-2003, 03:30 PM
HockeySense85

"League average is $1.7million now 1.1 million difference. This is how Pisani's contract breaks down
yr1/yr2/y3 = $0.6/$0.655/$0.780
so 3yrs for $2.035million a little higher than I would like but as oildrop said this is peanuts in todays salary inflated NHL"

Yes, I understand that its peanuts in todays NHL, BUT

A) Its more than the qualifying offer. I believe that last year he made 400K if he was on the big team (correct me if i am wrong). So why exactly is the NHL's salary structure so inflated you ask! I would have to suggest that giving guys more than was required is a good place to start! This is a prime case. Yes, its not that much, but he would have signed even if Lowe stuck to his guns and said, here is the qualifier, take it and prove to me that you can make the team! What other choice did Pisani have?

B) Its one way! Thats the real kicker. It doesn't even matter if others outplay Pisani, he will still make the team! Granted it is cheaper to play Pisani on the big club instead of Rita, but I am not convinced this is the best interests of the team.

So peanuts or not, I still don't think it was the best move of Lowe's young career. I hope Pisani proves me wrong

Old
09-28-2003, 03:38 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serum114
Unlike Smyth, it is unlikely he will price himself out of our budget.
The whole point is that $1.6M for a third liner is already out of our budget.

Ethan has had seasons b4 where he might have been worth that much but last seasoon wasn't one of them.

Old
09-28-2003, 03:42 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
To be honest, I don't think this new 3-yr deal (replacing the previous one-year deal?) means that Moreau won't be traded...in fact, it's easier to trade a guy who's under contract for another year or two (or three) than a guy without a contract or who's about to become a free agent (UFA or RFA) as the team that gets him will have to negotiate a contract. If there are arbitration rights involved, then that's a real wild card, too. This way it's a known dollar value for a number of years, which has got to appeal to quite a few teams out there.

I don't mind having Ethan around for a little while, but I could still see him traded this season...

Bart
Bingo.

Old
09-28-2003, 05:22 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
To be honest, I don't think this new 3-yr deal (replacing the previous one-year deal?) means that Moreau won't be traded...in fact, it's easier to trade a guy who's under contract for another year or two (or three) than a guy without a contract or who's about to become a free agent (UFA or RFA) as the team that gets him will have to negotiate a contract. If there are arbitration rights involved, then that's a real wild card, too. This way it's a known dollar value for a number of years, which has got to appeal to quite a few teams out there.

I don't mind having Ethan around for a little while, but I could still see him traded this season...

Bart
You sir, are right. Especially if Ethan took a decent pay cut for a long term deal. We still need to see the terms. GMs would much rather deal with a known quantity.

I'm not saying that he'll definitely be dealt (altho I thought he was on his way out after the playoffs). Just agreeing that KLo is holding better cards in any potential deal, now that he's locked up for 4 years.

The same could be true for Pisani, and to a lesser degree (because I believe he is paid more than he has proven to be worth), Cross.

Old
09-29-2003, 03:23 PM
IceDragoon

Here's the "formality"

http://www.edmontonoilers.com/

09/26/2003 - EDMONTON OILERS COMMUNITY FOUNDATION LENDS A HELPING HAND IN RED DEER MOREAU AGREES TO FOUR-YEAR DEAL
The Edmonton Oilers have announced the signing of veteran forward Ethan Moreau to a four-year contract. Moreau’s deal is considered one of the longest in club history.

Last season, Moreau recorded 14 goals and 17 assists for a career-high 31 points in 74 games. He was the recipient of the Oilers 2002-03 Unsung Hero Award. The 2003-04 season marks Moreau’s ninth NHL campaign and sixth with the Oilers.

Oilers General Manager Kevin Lowe says, “Ethan is coming off a solid season and has been a big part of our organization for the past five years. We are very excited to have him under contract for the next four years and believe his leadership and determination are qualities, which are vital to our hockey club. He is a perfect role model for our young guys to look up to.”

The 6’2”, 210 pound left-winger, a first round draft choice (14th overall) in 1994 says, “I am extremely happy to be a part of the Oilers organization for another four years. My family and I are proud to be part of the Edmonton community and are excited about raising our young family here.”
_________

This just showed up on the site today, but note the date.

Old
09-30-2003, 10:41 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
right on! that means we have him locked up till he's in his 30's!!!!!! (can you imagine a 30 year old Oiler forward!?!?!?!?!?)
no.
(who was the last such beast? Weighter, maybe?)

Closed Thread