HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Should Not Delay Contract Talks With Stars

Old
09-02-2013, 08:44 AM
rkhum

vCash: 500
Rangers Should Not Delay Contract Talks With Stars

I thought this was posted before but couldn't find it going to threads back over a month.

Quote:
The potential free agent class of 2014 is being whittled down one by one — a Joe Pavelski here, a Jay Bouwmeester there, contract extensions for essential players everywhere.

Except in New York, where the Rangers have been curiously reluctant to engage in negotiations with Henrik Lundqvist, Ryan Callahan and Dan Girardi, all of whom can go free (alternate meaning) next summer.

Understand, it’s not as if negotiations with any or all of the Big Three have hit snags. Fact is, Slap Shots has been told, negotiations have yet to even begin with the franchise goaltender, the captain or the first-pair, right-side defenseman.

Why? Who knows? General manager Glen Sather’s email response to Slaps Shots this week when asked about the status of negotiations was, “We will be talking.”
I agree with Brooks and wanted to ask the board what is going on?
I don't understand why the Rangers aren't aggressively re-signing
Lundqvist, Girardi, and Callahan.

Brooks makes a great point with the comparison to David Clarkson, these guys will get overpaid if UFAs no matter what.

It baffles thus far the Rangers indifference compared to the Bruins who for the last several years have taken care early of core players like Savard, Chara, Bergeron, Lucic, and Rask.

One need look at the Devils with Henrique.

So what is Sather doing and is he about to make another Brad Park esque failure in letting bleeding blue Rangers go?

Anybody else upset?

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...Gjn2fC8u3uTeRJ

rkhum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

I could have sworn that talks with Hank began already... he said something to the effect of "I'm letting my agent handle it... I'm concentrating on the season"

Maybe I'm mistaken.

Stepan is priority #1 right now anyway. They have to sign him 1st.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 08:52 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Yeah, contract negotiations with Lundqvist have started. That article is also three weeks old.

I'm not all that worried about these things. If those guys actually make it to July 1 next year, I'll worry then.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I dont mind it too much.

In fact, I think this season is going to go a long way in determining if the current core should be the core going forward.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 09:05 AM
TheRightWay

Who said they aren't in intense negotiations regarding all those players? The Rangers pretty much broke the news regarding a McDonagh extension themselves. They're very good at not letting things leak. Just because the media hasn't said much regarding certain players doesn't mean that things aren't happening.

I can't even remember the last time the Rangers lost out on one of their own players. Sather has almost a perfect track record when it comes to re-signing our players.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 09:06 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I dont mind it too much.

In fact, I think this season is going to go a long way in determining if the current core should be the core going forward.
Spot on post.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 10:14 AM
broadwayblue

How long does it take to complete a negotiation? It's not like if they wait another week there will be insufficient time to get deals done by July.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Cawlidge Hawkey
NCAA ** Juniors

There's a big difference in where the Rangers are heading and where the Devils were heading when re-signing Clarkson.

Cawlidge Hawkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 11:04 AM
Mrpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Spot on post.
Bingo.

It's also a two way street. Also, just because the NYR's want to talk, some players prefer to leave it until the end of the season.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 11:37 AM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

vCash: 50
Quote:
I dont mind it too much.

Lundqvist is the "core". Theres another goaltender in the league you would rather have?

09-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner McKay View Post
Lundqvist is the "core". Theres another goaltender in the league you would rather have?
Lundqvist is the exception. He is my favorite player post-lockout by a country mile. Hes being wasted here if Sather continues to field teams with holes in the roster, but they'll never tear it all down, so he should and will be re-signed.

I feel much differently about Callahan and Girardi, especially given the dollars and years they will likely command.

Old
09-02-2013, 11:44 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

If anyone of those three is leaving, it's Girardi.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 11:57 AM
JoeGarelli

no chance cally leaves? sabres could give him one hell of an offer.. he plays a reckless game.. i love the guy, but do you sign him long long term?

JoeGarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Blue Blooded

The problem is all three players are very hard to replace from within.

Lundqvist is obvious.

Girardi because we have limited depth on the right side. I rave about Strålman, but even I don't think he is a good bet for a top pairing role. 1B pairing with McDonagh behind Staal-Girardi? Hell yes, let's at least try it! Top pairing playing 25 minutes a night? Hell no!

Callahan is very replaceable at even strength, and even on the PK, but I'm scared of how our PP would look without him. He is the 2nd best PP scorer over the past three seasons and the best net-front presence. Without Callahan our PP is likely historically bad.

Blue Blooded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 10:49 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
I thought this was posted before but couldn't find it going to threads back over a month.

I agree with Brooks and wanted to ask the board what is going on?
I don't understand why the Rangers aren't aggressively re-signing
Lundqvist, Girardi, and Callahan.

Brooks makes a great point with the comparison to David Clarkson, these guys will get overpaid if UFAs no matter what.

It baffles thus far the Rangers indifference compared to the Bruins who for the last several years have taken care early of core players like Savard, Chara, Bergeron, Lucic, and Rask.

One need look at the Devils with Henrique.

So what is Sather doing and is he about to make another Brad Park esque failure in letting bleeding blue Rangers go?

Anybody else upset?

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...Gjn2fC8u3uTeRJ
Upset? Relax chief; if it's meant to be, it will be. No sense in getting hot and bothered over this stuff. Good or bad, just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 10:55 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Upset? Relax chief; if it's meant to be, it will be. No sense in getting hot and bothered over this stuff. Good or bad, just sit back and enjoy the ride.
Agreed and we have an entire season to get them resigned. You realize they aren't free agents until July 1st of next year. Calm down.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 11:41 PM
asphyXy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
Without Callahan our PP is likely historically bad.
Our PP is historically bad WITH Callahan.

asphyXy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 12:39 AM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post

Callahan is very replaceable at even strength, and even on the PK, but I'm scared of how our PP would look without him. He is the 2nd best PP scorer over the past three seasons and the best net-front presence. Without Callahan our PP is likely historically bad.
That's a mind boggling stat. I was completely surprised by that. Figured Stamkos would definitely be top 5.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 06:15 AM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphyXy View Post
Our PP is historically bad WITH Callahan.
Our PP is indeed awful, bottom 5 in shots and shot attempts over the past three years, and 6th worst in goals/60. But that's not historically bad.

Historically bad would be significantly worst in the league over the same period, which we might have become without Callahan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
That's a mind boggling stat. I was completely surprised by that. Figured Stamkos would definitely be top 5.
Stamkos is 2nd behind Ovechkin in actual 5v4 goals over that period, but both of them also played significantly more minutes than any other forwards.

Blue Blooded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 06:34 AM
TheRightWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
And possibly even Schneider.
Good point, actually. The same Devils fans getting giddy over the idea of Lundqvist - who has spent his entire career here and loves it - leaving and warning us to "not pencil in" Lundqvist beyond this season are the same ones assuming Schneider is the long-term solution for the Devils despite having no prior connection to the team and having complete control over his destiny two years from now.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 09:11 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Callahan will stay, but I think it'll take a specific set of circumstances for him to leave. I think that: A) He'll need to price himself out with his contract demands; B) Miss additional time this season with another injury; and C) The Rangers will need to see at least two kids step up into roles that would alleviate the loss of what Cally brings. I.e., secondary scoring and top-end PK ability.

Despite Girardi's age, I think this team would be hard-pressed to let him go. Unless McD and Staal can pair up to form an elite top pairing, I don't see how we can let our best right-side D walk out the door for nothing.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Callahan will stay, but I think it'll take a specific set of circumstances for him to leave. I think that: A) He'll need to price himself out with his contract demands; B) Miss additional time this season with another injury; and C) The Rangers will need to see at least two kids step up into roles that would alleviate the loss of what Cally brings. I.e., secondary scoring and top-end PK ability.

Despite Girardi's age, I think this team would be hard-pressed to let him go. Unless McD and Staal can pair up to form an elite top pairing, I don't see how we can let our best right-side D walk out the door for nothing.
Considering what Girardi will likely get in terms of years and dollars, I'd probably take my chances that another RD can slip into full-time minutes with 2 great players in Staal or McDonagh, and do a really good job. Kind of like what Girardi has done.

Old
09-03-2013, 09:26 AM
bubba5

I think if this year is another failure you have to start thinking that with these Upcoming UFA's that we have, we make have to say bye bye if the price is not right. At some point you have to say they gave it a good shot, they are not getting any younger and are putting a strain on our cap hit to be able to compete long term.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 09:36 AM
GordonGecko
Coaching Fail

vCash: 364
Seeing the thread title, I was really stumped at what players the Rangers would want to trade for in Dallas

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 10:10 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Considering what Girardi will likely get in terms of years and dollars, I'd probably take my chances that another RD can slip into full-time minutes with 2 great players in Staal or McDonagh, and do a really good job. Kind of like what Girardi has done.
Taking your chances on finding another RHD who can be the "other guy" on a top pairing while still eating up some of the biggest minutes in the league is a pretty big gamble. Let alone finding one for less term and salary.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote