HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Barons Lose to Jets 3-2

Old
09-17-2013, 10:18 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Oilers post-game audio

Post-game audio from Coach Eakins, Philip Larsen & Richard Bachman.

To listen click here.

ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:20 PM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

vCash: 50
Pretty much none of the OKC guys tonight looked like they have a shot at the NHL this year.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:22 PM
ZenOil
Russian Pride

Larson can skate like the wind and has a great first pass. Defense? Looks like a better Grebs. I'm pumped on this dude.
I liked Martindale, pilick, lander and of course Yak. Ganger looked pretty swell.
Jonesuu was a beast again tonight.

ZenOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:23 PM
Soundwave

Eakins praised Bachman and Larsen in particular, so looks like Larsen made a good case for himself today.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:24 PM
nexttothemoon
darkness.myoldfriend

Bachman and Larsen were two of the more impressive according to Eakins in his post game comments.

He also says he puts a fair bit of stock in these game and they are important (contrary to many posters here who seem to think these games mean little to nothing).

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:25 PM
McCupofOil
McJesus Has Risen!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
Lowetide has already gone on record saying he'll be on the team.

The guy can't skate and has granite hands. Missed the best scoring chance of the game because he can't control a hockey puck.

He's basically a slow version of Ryan Jones.
I'm not sure that Lowetide took a close enough look at the roster.
I see no way that Hamilton makes the team. I'd say that Jones, Joensuu, Hemsky and Smyth are locks for the bottom 4 wing spots with Brown being next in line.
The only question is who will be the #4C.

The battle for the final spot was between Joensuu, Hamilton and i guess Omark and we all know who is winning that battle thus far. Time is running out quickly for Hamilton and Omark especially if Joensuu keeps up this level of play.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:27 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

^ Extra forwards? Hamilton and Acton will probably be the extras.

Hall-RNH-Yak
Perron-Gegner-Eberle
Joensuu-Arcobello-Hemsky
Smyth-Gordon-Jones
Hamilton
Acton

Makes the most sense to me

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:27 PM
Soundwave

Joensuu is pretty much on the team, anyone over 6'1 who can skate straight and chew gum at the same time has a 50/50 shot and Joensuu at 6'4 and some decent hockey skill is pretty much a lock I would think Dude looks very strong on the cycle.

He'd really have to bomb the rest of the camp to be on the outside looking in.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:29 PM
McCupofOil
McJesus Has Risen!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post

Hall-RNH-Yak
Perron-Gegner-Eberle
Joensuu-Arcobello-Hemsky
Smyth-Gordon-Jones
Hamilton
Acton

There's no reason that Hamilton should slot in ahead of Brown.
Brown brings a unique skill to the table with his fighting plus he's a much better skater than Hamilton, better on the forecheck.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:32 PM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

Quote:

Hall-RNH-Yak
Perron-Gegner-Eberle
Joensuu-Arcobello-Hemsky
Smyth-Gordon-Jones
Hamilton
Acton

Hopefully we can pick up a 4th line centre on waivers so that we don't have to rely on a couple of centres that were full time AHLers last season.

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Bachman and Larsen were two of the more impressive according to Eakins in his post game comments.

He also says he puts a fair bit of stock in these game and they are important (contrary to many posters here who seem to think these games mean little to nothing).
The games don't mean anything in terms of how the team will perform during the year. How could they? Not even half the roster was on the ice.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:38 PM
nexttothemoon
darkness.myoldfriend

It's still early and of course I'm just guessing and speculating but I think the Oilers will likely run with 8 dmen and 13 forwards. One of Potter, Grebs or Larsen will be gone. My guess would be Grebs at this stage unless he really turns it around in the rest of camp.

Pretty sure only one of RHamilton or Acton will make it.

I think Eager has a decent shot of cracking the roster... depending of course on what he does in camp... but with his size and speed and hopefully a change of attitude he's certainly got a good shot of making the roster.

I think these are the guarantees:

Hall (C while RNH is out)
Eberle
Yak
Perron
Gagner
Hemsky
Gordon
Jones
Joensuu
Smyth
Brown

12th and 13th forwards:

Then one winger out of Eager/RHamilton/Omark... I'm leaning towards Eager.

Then one of Acton, Lander, Arcobello.. close call but my guess at this point would be Acton.

Old
09-17-2013, 10:46 PM
nexttothemoon
darkness.myoldfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
The games don't mean anything in terms of how the team will perform during the year. How could they? Not even half the roster was on the ice.
Well I still think there are 19 guys out there that should be busting their ***** to either make the team or to shake off the rust and get back into NHL ready condition and the coach is assessing everyone... especially since he's not familiar with many of them being a rookie coach in the org not having seen all these players much before (if at all in many cases).

Sure these games aren't the roster the Oilers will be playing with... but to say they are largely meaningless just because it's a mix of regulars and hopefuls and the Oilers when put together in their final form will suddenly be able to flip a switch after largely playing like crap all pre-season is also too optimistic and too much to hope for.

Old
MessierII

Wow people are hard on Larsen I thought he played a great game but was being dragged down by Davidson who could barely move out there.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OilDrop37

vCash: 17909
Quote:

Hall-RNH-Yak
Perron-Gegner-Eberle
Joensuu-Arcobello-Hemsky
Smyth-Gordon-Jones
Hamilton
Acton

Arcobello isn't making the team.

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:48 PM
Sheikyerbouti
ShakeyerMcBooty

There's quite a bit riding on Belov it seems

If the scouting team was credited for finding Joensuu and Eakins brought in Acton and Hamilton, MacT's guys are not looking good. Grebs and Miller have been brutal, so hopefully Belov can buck that trend

Grebs' contract is just more and more mind blowing. He looks out of shape and has possibly regressed. How did our management group think a 1.5 million dollar contract was market value when a few months later guys like hainsey are signing for 2 and players like Gilbert and White are taking PTO's? Even if they brought him in to help Belov transition, that contract is disgusting - even at one year.

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:49 PM
Mr Forever

How do we know Belov and Joensuu aren't MacT's guys as well?

Old
09-17-2013, 10:50 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Hopefully we can pick up a 4th line centre on waivers so that we don't have to rely on a couple of centres that were full time AHLers last season.
A waiver-wire 4C would be okay, but how amazing would it be to get Morrow on a dirt cheap show-me one year contract?

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
Joensuu/Smyth-Gordon-Hemsky
Eager/Jones-Morrow-Brown

Never happen, though. Back in reality, it'll probably look more like this on opening night:

Hall-Gagner-Eberle
Perron-Gordon-Yakupov
Joensuu/Smyth - Whocares* - Hemsky
Eager/Jones - Whatever** - Brown

* denotes one of Arcobello or Lander
** denotes one of Lander or Acton

That's my guess, anyway. It'll be interesting to come back to this prediction on October first to see if I'm even close.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:51 PM
Sheikyerbouti
ShakeyerMcBooty

Quote:
How do we know Belov and Joensuu aren't MacT's guys as well?
Belov is, Joensuu was our scouting team, MacT said he knew nothing about him

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:53 PM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post
Belov is, Joensuu was our scouting team, MacT said he knew nothing about him
Well good on them if that's the case.

Old
09-17-2013, 10:55 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post
There's quite a bit riding on Belov it seems

If the scouting team was credited for finding Joensuu and Eakins brought in Acton and Hamilton, MacT's guys are not looking good. Grebs and Miller have been brutal, so hopefully Belov can buck that trend

Grebs' contract is just more and more mind blowing. He looks out of shape and has possibly regressed. How did our management group think a 1.5 million dollar contract was market value when a few months later guys like hainsey are signing for 2 and players like Gilbert and White are taking PTO's? Even if they brought him in to help Belov transition, that contract is disgusting - even at one year.
I liked Grebby's game tonight. He made a bunch of nice plays with the puck and didn't make any glaring mistakes. I thought Davidson and Klefbom were far and away the worst defensemen on the ice for either team tonight.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:55 PM
skorf

Just got home from the game, my thoughts

-Bachman was consistent but not spectacular... about what I expected. Played like he's an NHL backup G

-Smid was Smid, had a few rough spots but for the most part played solid
-Petry I thought played horribly, he let Frolik get behind him on two occasions and was out of position on several others. I thought he was our worst D out there today and I'm usually fairly high on Petry
-Klefbom, I'd say he played a bit cautiously, he didn't make many mistakes (a few here and there) but he also didn't do anything that made me excited about his play (had a Smid type of game IMO)
-Grebs, wasn't spectacular, i thought he played alright the first 2 periods (was a bit surprised since I'm a Grebs hater), but he made some poor decisions in the third and coughed the puck up. One shift he coughed it up badly twice in the defensive zone
-Davidson, I was really impressed with him in the first period, after that not so much, it seemed that the game was just moving a bit too fast for him and he got overwhelmed, I wouldn't mind them giving him another game but he's definitely OKC bound.
-Larsen, defensively: some of the time it was bad for example on their 3rd goal he was way out of position, he also definitely could put on some weight and get stronger as he lost quite a few 1 on 1 battles... offensively, he was by far our best offensive defenseman. He gave Moroz the goal with a beautiful pass and anyone could have tapped it in and put the 2nd one in. It seemed in the 3rd, he went out and played while in the 1st and 2nd, he went out there not to make mistakes.

-Gagner, looked okay but didn't really stand out either, I was hoping for a bit more
-Yakupov, they contained him fairly well, but every time he touched the puck you knew something could happen.
-Jones, had a poor game, (to be fair I'm a Jones hater and he coughed up the puck 2x on his first shift which put me in a hating Jones mood), but IMO he did nothing offensively, had a few turnovers, and wasn't that good covering his D zone
-Arcobello, one positive was that the Oilers won a lot of faceoffs (and I don't think it was Gagner though I could be mistaken) so I think Arco, Lander, and/or Martindale were winning them. Arcobello looked solid offensively but was overpowered defensively at times. He's someone that may need to move to wing to make it at the NHL since I don't think he can consistently win battles in our D zone.
-Hamilton, I think he led the team in hits and he was fairly consistent. With that being said, with his size I was hoping he'd be a bit more of a "punishing" player since he hit people but he wasn't really knocking them around. so-so game offensively and defensively for him.
-Omark was Omark, he had some real nice offensive plays, but at times some poor defensive plays. His few shifts with Yakupov, they looked really good together, but when he wasnt with a talented guy he wasn't nearly as dynamic
-Lander, so so game, didn't really stand out good or bad
-Joensuu, had a fairly solid game, looked the best out of him, Hamilton, and Jones. But I was hoping (or maybe wishing) for a bit more after seeing what he did against Calgary.
-Pitlick, solid game, the kid works hard on both ends of the ice, he played the body, he probably impressed me more than anyone else
-Martindale, had a solid game as well, I didn't expect him to play as well as he did... i had kind of written off him and pitlick but they both showed enough that I could see them being 3rd/4th liners for us in the next few years
-Moroz, had the goal which anyone could have scored, provided what he does some energy and physical play, fairly solid defensively, likely a 4th line energy guy for the barons, didn't have the best hands out there today
-Abney, will have a tough time earning minutes in the AHL, was out of position and just isn't that skilled, in the AHL, I bet he's the Macintyre of the Barons

skorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:56 PM
Conkanen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
Good
- Gagner and Yakupov showing some chemistry, but Yakupov's timing was off. No big deal as last season we saw that once he started finding it he became an absolute monster.
- Petry played well at both ends I thought
- Bachman was steady and kept the team in it. Was pretty happy with his play.
- Joensuu never backed down and had periods of time where he was really imposing his will on the ice. I really like what he brings and he's consistently been doing it thus far. A real pleasant surprise for me and hopefully he can keep doing it as the level of play increases, unlike a guy like Hartikainen could do.
- Pitlick showed well tonight as well. Didn't see him mess up a lot on defense and was hustling hard.

Average
- Klefbom had some decent passing and okay defensive awareness, but also had a couple ugly gaffes and just doesn't show as anything other than average yet. Lots of time yet for him to show more.
- Larsen was up and down. Sure, two points, but he was a bit of a mess at times as well.
- Moroz hustled out there and didn't cost the team.
- Omark is an enigma to me. I didn't think he had a horrible game, but he needs to bring so much more than he currently is to set himself out as an NHL player. Not there yet, but you see what he can do at times and it's frustrating that he can't do it more consistently
- Lander and Arcobello were both ok..

Bad

- Grebeshkov is a complete disaster.
- Ryan Jones was pretty much invisible tonight. He was very good last game, so this doesn't concern me TOO much yet, but it wasn't a stellar game from him.
- Smid struggled.
- Davidson did not impress me and I wonder if he's going to be gone after tonight.
I was at the game tonight and I agree with a lot of this...added thoughts.

- Larsen has some serious skill. He was caught out of waaaaayy out of position a few times but he was the only d-man who didn't treat the puck like a grenade. I am intrigued. Bryan B put it best, he is what Grebs should be.

- Grebs IS a disaster. Plain and simple. Seeing him live was something else. Just some awful decisions. If Belov is not better than Grebs I would be shocked.

- Liked the chemistry between Yak and Gagner at times. But imo Yak was only going 75% that whole game. It looked like he tweaked an ankle or something in the first period so who knows but no way was he goin at full speed.

- Hamilton is a weak skater. Yup it's true. See nothing holding back Joensuu in the skating department like I have read elsewhere. Seems fine for an especially big dude. I agree with Stauffer that he is a lock.

- There is a 3rd liner there somewhere in Lance Pitlick's body. Good skater and one of the only Oilers to finish his checks.

-Thought Martindale looked good as well. Saw a guy out there hustling pretty well.

- Hate to pile on Abney but wow...show something kid.

Conkanen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:58 PM
skorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Joensuu is pretty much on the team, anyone over 6'1 who can skate straight and chew gum at the same time has a 50/50 shot and Joensuu at 6'4 and some decent hockey skill is pretty much a lock I would think Dude looks very strong on the cycle.

He'd really have to bomb the rest of the camp to be on the outside looking in.
Plus I'm pretty sure Joensuu has a 1 way deal unlike a lot of the other guys. He's shown enough he'll be there.

skorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:58 PM
Conkanen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Its so weird with Edmonton media. Most of them had Grebs penciled into the bottom pairing spot over Belov even though Grebs was horrible in the KHL and Belov was regarded as one of the best KHL D and an olympic candidate
+1 on that.

Yep makes no sense other than they think Belov will sent down to the A for a while.

Conkanen* is offline   Reply With Quote