HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Barons Lose to Jets 3-2

Old
09-18-2013, 07:47 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Omark would be a good fit for Calgary honestly, and I don't mean that as a slight or anything.

He'd get a lot of minutes playing there and he could add a little razzle dazzle to their lineup, since they're probably not interested in winning a ton of games next season.

Getting drafted by Edmonton was a bit of a bad break for him, we have too many skilled/similar but better players.
The bad break for him and always will be is when he decided to go and play in Russia instead of coming over like the team wanted.

Waiting til Eberle, Hall and Prv were trying to make the team hurt him.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 07:57 AM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsyoilerforever View Post
Darn. The jet lag makes sense. But I'll love to see him crush the Sedins..
He's 185lbs so won't be crushing Sedins

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 07:58 AM
blupye

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conkanen View Post
He did play a great game imo...just was roaming waaaaaaay out of position on a few shifts. Gotta think that can be coached up.

I think he played great. One thing he has going is that he can skate and this team will be run and gun

blupye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 08:02 AM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
He's 185lbs so won't be crushing Sedins
Belov is 215 or so. That 185 lbs our site has listed is way outdated.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 08:08 AM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3ig13ig View Post
Hey ya'll. I had the good fortune of actually attending the game tonight. Was nice being able to jump out of my seat at the end for the two goals and get a rise out of the home crowd. Overall a good game but here is what I noticed in particular:

Klefbom: Didn't look out of place at all. Was very sound defensively when I saw him and made some great first passes out of the zone. Didn't see much offensively out of him but he also didn't have our regular forwards out there helping him much either. Was physical at times but needs to throw a couple more hits every now and then. All in all, a great first game for Klefbom. Excited for his future.

Omark: Had some nice moments in the offensive zone, in particular with his puck control behind the net, even against the bigger Trouba. But was pretty disappointed with his play outside of that. His embellishment was crystal clear to every fan in the rink even without the reply. Didn't do much in the way of back checking and made some goofy decisions with the puck in the neutral zone. I expect more out of him if he is to stay with this team. Oh, and he needs to learn to SHOOT THE ****ING PUCK!!!

Joensuu: Starting to look like a great pickup. He wasn't afraid to throw his body around this game. Saw him take a run at Buff, even though he took the worst from it, it was nice to see the effort from him. His cherry picking on the PP was funny to watch although his eagerness to get a breakway caused him to take that careless penalty (which would have been offside anyways). Seems to give it his all at both ends of the ice.

Davidson: This kid is good. Solid defensive awareness. Not afraid to throw his body around as I watched him absolutely rock Jets players on two seperate hits. Made some iffy decisions in the neutral zone but otherwise very effective. If he continues this nice progression of his throughout the AHL this season, I could see him carving out a career in the NHL, whether it be in the bottom pairing or as a #4 guy at best. Really liked what I saw out of him tonight and as of late.

Yakupov: Was really disappointed with his first period performance. No effort on the back check what so ever and looked disengaged even in the offensive zone. But about halfway through the 2nd, something just clicked and he was zooming all over the ice. You knew Yakupov was on the ice when you saw an Oiler buzzing through the neutral zone and past all the Jets. Made some pretty offensive plays and was nice to see him utilizing his linemates in the 2nd half of the game, in comparison to him trying to carry the puck by himself in the first half. Need a full 60mins out of him every night if we want to compete each game this season.

Gagner: Excellent game. Gave it his all on every shift it seemed. Showed some slick hand work on some offensive plays. Took smart shots and didn't try anything risky. Played a very mature and effective game tonight. Defensive play definitely improving.

Smid - Petry: Looked a little rusty. Smid seemed to wake up halfway through the game and started hitting and blocking shots like we have come to expect from him. Petry didn't do anything overly amazing, but at the same time didn't make many clear blunders either. Needs to engage himself more effectively in the offensive zone like he is capable of.

Larsen: Besides his two offensive plays within 23 seconds of each other earning him an assist and a goal, he was pretty brutal. Made poor decisions with the puck and got beat defensively at least 3 times by my count. Hope he goes on waivers. Big liability.

Garbagekov: Poor positional play. Awful defensive awareness. Watched him get beat at least 4 times. Seems to have lost more than a step in his footwork. Almost looked lost all game. Couldn't even make a first pass out of the zone to save his life it seemed. Hope he can either overcome these issues in the preseason as big as they are, or he stays as our #7/8.

Pitlick: Actually impressed me somewhat tonight. Was very noticeable. Utilized his large frame to work opposing players off the puck and threw his weight around a couple times as well. Good effort backchecking. Had a couple nice plays in the offensive zone, including some heavy shots. Would be nice to see him work on his accuracy though as he either missed the net or shot it right into Pavelec's chest. Needs to put in the kind of effort he did tonight this entire season with the Barons if he wants to start proving why he was picked in the second round. Good game.

Bachmann: Hollay! Made some outstanding saves. Positionally was very sound. His rebound control was alright but if it was better, he wouldn't be an AHL starter/fringe NHL backup. Couldn't fault him on either of the first goals as it was relentless pressure by the Jets and defensive gaffs by our guys that left him out to dry. Would not be worried at all if he had to start for the Oilers a couple times this season.

Martindale: Jets fans all around are pissed that he uses #66. He isn't Lemeiux. That's all I have to say about him. Didn't notice him otherwise.

Everyone else was pretty quiet for me and didn't stand out. Guess that's a combination of not doing anything worth noting, good or bad. Not exactly something that you want out of players who are fighting for a roster spot. But a majority of those I didn't mention (minus Jones) are all almost guaranteed to be going to the Barons/Junior again so it was kind of expected that they would struggle at times.

All in all, a great game to watch. Made it interesting at the end. Thought they tied it with 8secs left. Look forward to the season opener when we ice our full roster. Thanks for reading
I honestly have no clue what you were watching. Klefbom and Davidson were both awful. Davidson can't skate well enough or make decisions fast enough to play at this level. He was a step behind everyone tonight. Klefbom just looked completely lost. He let Frolik, who isn't even big, park himself right in front of the net without doing anything to impede him and he was terrified of the puck all night. Same thing the game was just too fast for him. Larsen was the best player on the team he was making plays all night and skated better than anyone else on D. Greby wasn't half as bad as you made him sound. He made a bunch of nice plays with the puck.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 08:09 AM
Asher

I thought Larsen had his ups and downs but Eakins seems really happy with him.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 08:13 AM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Belov is 215 or so. That 185 lbs our site has listed is way outdated.
Can't wait to see him crushing the Sedins

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 08:22 AM
McRobbiezyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Really interesting dynamic here in terms of Larsen.

I see many in support, many in disgust of his game tonight. Divided.

Personally, I thought he wasn't stellar, but when he made plays that mattered, he stepped ahead of Grebeshkov on the depth chart (Grebs has been awful). Still has to pass Potter and Belov, but that kind of risky effort isn't bad for a guy who can plug and play on the PP.
I think its pre-conceived notions. I'd be willing to bet not many people saw him play 2 years ago in Dallas and wrote him off immediately when we started acquiring all the d-men. He'll slowly win over people.. he will be the second best offensive option on this team behind J. Schultz.

McRobbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 08:26 AM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

vCash: 110
Quote:
I honestly have no clue what you were watching.
A live hockey game. Results may differ from our view of the jumbotron feed.

Jek McPorkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 09:22 AM
McCupofOil
McJesus Has Risen!!!

Quote:
I honestly have no clue what you were watching. Klefbom and Davidson were both awful. Davidson can't skate well enough or make decisions fast enough to play at this level. He was a step behind everyone tonight. Klefbom just looked completely lost. He let Frolik, who isn't even big, park himself right in front of the net without doing anything to impede him and he was terrified of the puck all night. Same thing the game was just too fast for him. Larsen was the best player on the team he was making plays all night and skated better than anyone else on D. Greby wasn't half as bad as you made him sound. He made a bunch of nice plays with the puck.
What were you watching?
I agree on Davidson, he was subpar which was disappointing because he was better in other games but Klefbom was just fine, not sure what you were seeing. He used his body on several occasions (including on Tangradi who's a big man) to shield the puck from them and move it up the ice and he skated pretty well with the puck.
I would say that he kept his game simple, didn't try to do too much. What he needs to improve is his positioning in front of the net, he seems to be a little lost positionally there which i would say is due to rust moreso than anything else.

Really disagree on Larsen and Grebs. I think that Larsen's 2 points really clouded your perception of his overall game which was pretty awful in the first 2 periods. He got outmuscled on many occasions and his defensive positioning left a lot to be desired. If he never scored those points, he would have been lumped in with Grebs in the awful category. Ok maybe not quite as bad as Grebs but not good either. It worries me that Eakins praised him after the game.
Grebs outside of a few nice passes in the first game doesn't look like an NHLer at this point, not at all. He's barely a KHLer at this point.
Hopefully he picks it up in the next few games because his stock is sinking faster than the Titanic.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 09:56 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
What were you watching?
I agree on Davidson, he was subpar which was disappointing because he was better in other games but Klefbom was just fine, not sure what you were seeing. He used his body on several occasions (including on Tangradi who's a big man) to shield the puck from them and move it up the ice and he skated pretty well with the puck.
I would say that he kept his game simple, didn't try to do too much. What he needs to improve is his positioning in front of the net, he seems to be a little lost positionally there which i would say is due to rust moreso than anything else.

Really disagree on Larsen and Grebs. I think that Larsen's 2 points really clouded your perception of his overall game which was pretty awful in the first 2 periods. He got outmuscled on many occasions and his defensive positioning left a lot to be desired. If he never scored those points, he would have been lumped in with Grebs in the awful category. Ok maybe not quite as bad as Grebs but not good either. It worries me that Eakins praised him after the game.
Grebs outside of a few nice passes in the first game doesn't look like an NHLer at this point, not at all. He's barely a KHLer at this point.
Hopefully he picks it up in the next few games because his stock is sinking faster than the Titanic.
About the best thing I can say about Larsen is I like him better than Grebs. Maybe that's where Eakins is going with his praise. Right now that bottom pairing race is looking pretty bad. Hopefully Belov can make it interesting, but so far it's been a competition to see who is the least bad instead of the who is best.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 10:03 AM
McManningite

Quote:
Do you remember any periods or moments where Klefbom lost his man? Watched the game and thought he played sound hockey positionally though he tended to look a little rigid which I assumed was him trying hard to make sure he didn't make a mistake such as getting way out of position going for an easy check.

I did once saw(3rd period) him make a pass to nowhere but I think he had 2 attackers within 5 feet of him and they had just spent 20-30 seconds in the zone defending.

McManningite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 10:04 AM
KneeOnKnee

The fact of the matter is that there is still no defensive structure in the Oilers zone, I have been waiting for eons to see some sort of system that the team all buys into but I haven't yet to see, last season I know we were outshot even by the worst teams on most nights, and I don't even have to look at the stats, if we get better team game this year we may have a chance, because we sure as hell are not gonna get to the dance riding just Hall, Eberle, and Yakupov.

KneeOnKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 10:08 AM
McManningite

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3ig13ig View Post

Joensuu: Starting to look like a great pickup. He wasn't afraid to throw his body around this game. Saw him take a run at Buff, even though he took the worst from it, it was nice to see the effort from him. His cherry picking on the PP was funny to watch although his eagerness to get a breakway caused him to take that careless penalty (which would have been offside anyways). Seems to give it his all at both ends of the ice.
Saw him take 2 runs at Buff, got the worst of both but all it takes is one good one to get those big guys off their game so keep trying Joe!!!

McManningite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 10:12 AM
Conkanen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I thought Larsen had his ups and downs but Eakins seems really happy with him.
He had his ugly defensive moments but the Oilers wanted puck movers from the D position and this kid can do that. He was easily the best offensive D-man last night and the most noticable player for me and wasn't really close.

Conkanen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post

I have had the same reaction to comments I made about Larsen and Fedun after watching them at the saddledome. Both guys were an adventure in their own zone, very weak on the puck, losing every battle. There was the odd good play in the offensive zone but both guys will be bleeding goals against. I hope it was just rust.

Next day I read that Mathseon and some posters thought Fedun played great ???

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 10:33 AM
doulos

The differences of opinion on Klefbom are interesting to me. I REALLY hope he stays healthy this year in the AHL and can develop into the player the Oilers need long term.

doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 11:04 AM
Bryanbryoil
Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
The differences of opinion on Klefbom are interesting to me. I REALLY hope he stays healthy this year in the AHL and can develop into the player the Oilers need long term.
IMO he showed a lot of "little things" last night. He's got a very good stick defensively and he gets the puck out of our zone quite well. He is still knocking off rust for sure but IMO that was his best game of the preseason so far.

09-18-2013, 11:12 AM
oilerbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
^ Extra forwards? Hamilton and Acton will probably be the extras.

Hall-RNH-Yak
Perron-Gegner-Eberle
Joensuu-Arcobello-Hemsky
Smyth-Gordon-Jones
Hamilton
Acton

Makes the most sense to me
RNH 40% FO
Gagner 45% FO
Gordon 58% FO
Arcobello 42%
Lander 50%
Hall 55%

There are 58 fo in a game on avg.
usual ratio is 22OZ - 14NZ-22DZ
O zone pocessions usually mean a shot 50% of the time.
D zone and Neutral zone pocesion in to Ozone mean a shot 37.5% of the time.

D zone draws are the most important cause there is a natural 33% shot difference in FO wins.

Can you imagine RNH, Gagner, arcobello taking D draws.
in those 22 FO we would be 13L-9W.

With the resulting 6.5 shots to 3.375 shots.
a 3.125 variance.

Looking at league averages if we faced an .914 save% goalie the 3.125 extra shots would require our goalie to be a .922 save % to get the same GAA.
you need a top 8 goalie to break even with a top 18 goalie.

I want our D draws to be our best Face off guys.
Gordon; Hall; Lander.

People wonder why they state D FO are important.
top 18 equals top 8 becuse of 3 shots.

Devon dubnyk was a .920 save% goalie facing 32.2 shots per game.
meaning a below average non top 20 Goalie had a chance to beat his GAA cause of shot count.

Gordon, Hall, Lander!

oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 11:12 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I haven't read huge differences of opinion on Klefbom; everyone agrees he's got some high-end skills he flashes from time to time, but he's noticeably rusty, and last night, was pretty quiet on the offensive end.

Pretty much what I expected at this point - the important part is that the high-end skills are visible from time to time.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 11:17 AM
LimpDave

Larsen and Grebs play a simlar game imo.

Grebs is very mobile, heads up player who always seems to play the game on the edge of what his abilities are...takes too many risks...still. Hopefully he can adjust, because he is a good puck moving defenseman (always has been)

Larsen i found was aggressive offensively, he pushed the play...but he was often out of position...he was unable to contain the larger jet players, i often found him cheating and giving the jets too much space...not a good sign. With the puck however Larsen has skills...it's without that may be his downfall

Klefbom did the little things right...he seemed rusty, and he played the game a bit safe....i think he's adjusting and needs time in Oklahoma

Davidson was terrible imo...i was really unhappy with him, and wanted to like his game, didn't show hussle, and i felt he didn't see plays that he should have, opting to push the play to areas of the ice that resulted in giveaways more often than not

Petry was overall our best defenseman as a whole, but that isn't saying much...i like how he handled himself against larger opponents...i can't help but see Gilbert when i watch him play though...

LimpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 11:23 AM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
IMO he showed a lot of "little things" last night. He's got a very good stick defensively and he gets the puck out of our zone quite well. He is still knocking off rust for sure but IMO that was his best game of the preseason so far.
Well, that's not syaing much. It was his FIRST game of the preseason...haha.

I hear people saying they see flashes of elite level skills. At the Jr (World Jrs) level I saw some of that, but at the next step up he looks very average thus far. I have not watched him overseas of course, and those who have would know WAY better than I obviously, so I'm not writing him off or anything. It's very early, so lots of time for him to grow as a player yet.

doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 11:25 AM
nexttothemoon
darkness.myoldfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimpDave View Post
Petry was overall our best defenseman as a whole, but that isn't saying much...i like how he handled himself against larger opponents...i can't help but see Gilbert when i watch him play though...
I think Petry has a better overall game, but I do know what you mean... both seem like they should/could be able to perform even better than they do based on their skillsets and potential.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 11:27 AM
Conkanen*

Any opinions on Ryan Jones? After seeing him live again my opinion hasn't changed. He brought nothing to the table last night and I didn't see any sense of urgency or new found motivation in his play. I hate that he and Ryam Smyth are locks to make this team.

Conkanen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 11:42 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
Well, that's not syaing much. It was his FIRST game of the preseason...haha.

I hear people saying they see flashes of elite level skills. At the Jr (World Jrs) level I saw some of that, but at the next step up he looks very average thus far. I have not watched him overseas of course, and those who have would know WAY better than I obviously, so I'm not writing him off or anything. It's very early, so lots of time for him to grow as a player yet.
Players talk about how the game gets faster as you move up in each successive league.

He's got the smaller ice and faster game to get used to, I'd prefer him to play it somewhat safe. His career certainly isn't on the line so there's no need for him to take crazy chances.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote