HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Final 23

Old
09-27-2013, 10:14 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

vCash: 500
let's say Foligno is ready. Top line??

HellasLEAF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:20 PM
26CornerBlitz

IMO, Porter is a marginal NHL player with no real upside who belongs in the NHL only as an injury callup.

26CornerBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:30 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
Hard to say. He started camp with Cody and Vanek.....by all accounts it looked like the line had decent chemistry (we know CoHo and Vanek have chemistry.....Foligno and Cody clicked in Rochester during the lockout).

Would make sense....Foligno would bring some of what that line could use.

Zman5778 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:56 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
It's completely up in the air who plays with Vanek and Hodgson on the top line. When Foligno is ready he'll probably have to play some games somewhere else, and if he looks good and whoever's playing on the top line looks bad, he might get the chance. Tropp's injury takes on likely possibility for the top line out of the mix. Leino, Ott, Ennis, and Stafford are all possibilities.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 12:28 AM
SundherDome
Get to the Draft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
I'm on the "Keep Zemgus in Buffalo" wagon. I want him in a top 9 role, getting at least 13-15 minutes a night. To me, he's forced his way onto the opening night roster (along with Larsson). I might get some flak for saying this, but I believe that any vet who is taking a spot away from Z or Johan should be waived or traded. I'm talking about guys like Kaleta and Porter. Sure, they're both great defensively and have "never say die" attitudes. However, it is my opinion that Larsson's game has already surpassed Kaleta's. Being known for his defensive play before even playing a handful of NHL games is impressive, and I'm confident that his skill can readily translate to the NHL level right now. I also believe Girgensons can do everything that Porter can do, and in a more physical manner. McCormick also belongs on this list of vets who I think should be shoved out. We can let him fool us in preseason, but he'll go back to being that same useless 4th liner that probably gets injured during the season. I don't see Porter or McCormick as anything more than serviceable, mediocre fill-ins who are not in our future plans. Even if we have a 4th line of prospects, roll 4 balanced lines and let them play...because to me, this year isn't about having a veteran presence among the forwards. It's about the younger players gaining that experience.

I know there are some that are pretty high on Porter. It's neat that his career has seen a small resurgence in Buffalo. But let's face it people, Porter was nothing more than a marginal 4th liner when he came here, and he'll never be more than that. Sure, he did everything he was asked and even scored a few goals. To me, it was a feel-good storyline that won't last forever. If he fits, let him stay and man the 4C position. If he's taking a spot away from a rookie whose chomping at the bit, waive him back to the 585 or trade him for a 5th or 6th rounder. Now that we know Catenacci (who surprised a lot of people) needs more time in the AHL, I'd say he's safe for now. But I'd tell him not to get comfortable.

Regarding Kaleta...I don't hate the guy. I do recognize his effectiveness as a bottom 6 player. But for real..he's just stale here. He's nowhere near as physical as he used to be, and his defensive capabilities are replaceable. I realize that he will probably make the team, but I just don't want him here anymore. No agenda, no bias, just think the kids are ready (and just better at this point). I don't know if it's part of this idea that Buffalo fans embrace mediocre players and think they're better than they really are..but you gotta know when to part ways. I think that time for Kaleta is now. If I stand alone here, so be it.

With all that being said, here's my opening night lineup:

Vanek-Hodgson-Foligno
Leino-Grigorenko-Stafford
Ennis-Larsson-Girgensons
Ott-Porter-Flynn

Ehrhoff-Myers
Weber-Pysyk
Tallinder-Ristolainen
McBain

Miller
Enroth

Kaleta and Sulzer waived (and most likely claimed)

The forward corps look young, but hell, they've got something to prove. Let them do it. Let them brave the ups and downs together. I believe in seasoning players and not pushing them until they're ready, but at some point you gotta stop babying them and throw them to the dogs to see how they handle it. I'm not jumping the gun. I'm as excited for the future as the next Sabres fan. I just think the future is now. Let them show their stuff in a regular season setting. There's only so much you can learn in the AHL. To solidify your game, you have to take that next step.
If ANYTHING Kaleta deserves a letter...

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 12:32 AM
Hit and Score
Balso Par Zemgu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
It's completely up in the air who plays with Vanek and Hodgson on the top line. When Foligno is ready he'll probably have to play some games somewhere else, and if he looks good and whoever's playing on the top line looks bad, he might get the chance. Tropp's injury takes on likely possibility for the top line out of the mix. Leino, Ott, Ennis, and Stafford are all possibilities.
I wouldn't mind giving Ennis a shot at the top line. Not permanently -- just to see if he's good enough to stick around long-term or if he's another trade option.

Hit and Score is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 01:58 AM
DJN21

Im gonna go outside the box cuz of injuries and I wanna be different lol...

Ennis-Grigs-Vanek
Stafford-Hodgson-Foligno
Leino-Larsson-Ott
Kaleta-McCormick-Scott

Myers-Ehrhoff
Weber-RR
Pysyk???idk Tallinder/McBain

this is assuming we roll 2 top lines as usual. If Rolston coaches like a normal coach maybe I change my lines. I just dont wanna see Grigs with ott n leino...Id rather give him ennis or vanek to help carry the load

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 03:42 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Too bad for Nikita

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 03:51 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
DUUUUUUB

vCash: 1068
Wild fan in peace.

How has Larsson played so far? Do you think he'll make the team?
Also, what are your thoughts on Ristolainen?

Thanks!

Lapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 04:09 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
Wild fan in peace.

Thanks!
Larsson has looked really good in all of the games he's played in (sounded good in the two that weren't viewable). His puck retrieval ability and aggressive two-way play fit in with the mindset the new generation of prospects are bringing to the organization and further the new coach's goal to become a better puck possession team. I don't see how he doesn't make the cut, because the Sabres need a defensively responsible center and he should be able to plug anywhere in the line-up.

Ristolainen has looked good enough to make the team but he'll have more growing pains than Larsson as you'd expect. If he does make the team, he'll have the benefit of playing on the bottom pairing and getting minutes on the PP, where he's looked poised and effective. I'd expect him to put up a fair amount of points for a guy on a third pairing, due to his sometimes sublime outlet passing and the likelihood he'll be on the PP from day one.

Last edited by Rob Paxon: 09-28-2013 at 04:24 AM.
Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 04:11 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
DUUUUUUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Larsson has looked really good in all of the games he's played in (sounded good in the two that weren't viewable). His puck retrieval ability and aggressive two-way play fit in with the mindset the new generation of prospects are bringing to the organization and further the new coach's goal to become a better puck possession team. I don't see how he doesn't make the cut, because the Sabres need a defensively responsible center and he should be able to plug anywhere in the line-up.

Ristolainen has looked good enough to make the team but he'll have more growing pains than Larsson as you'd expect. If he does make the team, he'll have the benefit of playing on the bottom pairing and getting minutes on the PP, where he's looked poised and effective I'd expect him to put up a fair amount of points for a guy on a third pairing, due to his sometimes sublime outlet passing and the likelihood he'll be on the PP from day one.
Awesome, thanks.

Hope they both play well for you guys.

Old
09-28-2013, 05:00 AM
Wisent42

Juggling lines is fun! So here's my take:

Foligno - Hodgson - Vanek
Leino - Ennis - Stafford
Girgensons - Grigorenko - Flynn
Ott - Larsson - Kaleta
Scott, Porter

Ehrhoff - Myers
Tallinder - Ristolainen
Weber - Pysyk
McBain

Comments: Foligno brings sandpaper to the topline, creating space for CoHo and Vanek. Also drives the net and gets the rebounds so Vanek gets to shoot more and get shot less.
Second line should be able to play a strong possession game, take some pressure off when needed and Ennis can also score some goals (the other two can't).
Since the two top lines will absorb alot of opponents best defence, the third line should get some easier minutes letting the kids show their skills.
Fourth is, of course, a checking line. Although Larsson isn't your typical checking line center, he's adaptable enough to take that role, and together with two gritty veterans that makes for a line that can create momentum and get the puck deep. Also, they have enough skill to actually score goals once in a while.
Scott is there for the Maple Leafs and Bruins games. Porter is an insurance in case one of the kids simply proves not ready for NHL-duty.

Top D-pairing is kind of a no-brainer. Those are the players expected to eat minutes.
Second pairing: Tallinder helped break Myers into the league a couple of years back. I can't think of a better player to help Ristolainen get a flying start.
Third pairing: Weber and Pysyk looked good together at the end of last season. No reason they can't keep that up.
McBain is seventh because I think he deserves a look. He has showed some upside in pre-season, and if waived I expect him to be picked up.

I've left out Tropp and Armia due to injuries, and also Zadorov. If his injury is not serious I still expect him to go back to juniors, possibly after getting a maximum nine game try-out.

As an out-of-the-box suggestion, I would like to see a line of Girgensons - Grigorenko - Vanek. When Armia got injured Vanek had a couple of shifts whith the two prospects, and in that very small sample they showed signs of greatness.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 05:50 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
Wild fan in peace.

Thanks!
Makes the team IMO. Love his versatility in that he seems able to slot into any line, for the most part.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 07:10 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
DUUUUUUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Makes the team IMO. Love his versatility in that he seems able to slot into any line, for the most part.
Yeah, that's what us Wild fans loved about him, too. I think he's perfectly capable of putting 40+ pts this year.

Old
09-28-2013, 09:31 AM
Lassa

As a Larsson fan, how worried should I be that he was not on the team in the last preseason game (and slid down to 4th line in the game before that? I wasgetting confidenthe was in, now I'm not so sure.

Lassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 09:45 AM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotland View Post
As a Larsson fan, how worried should I be that he was not on the team in the last preseason game (and slid down to 4th line in the game before that? I wasgetting confidenthe was in, now I'm not so sure.
I can't imagine Larsson not making the team. He's exactly what the Sabres have been missing up front. Either C or LW, he'll be in the line-up on any of the bottom three lines. Ennis and Larsson provide a lot of versatility for Rolston, so there's multiple line-ups we could see for opening night.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 10:21 AM
NYVanfan

Hi sabres fans,
Wondering if you can shed light in Myers ....is he looking better? He is avail in my fantasy draft and wondering if theres hope for a resurgence..?
Is he being used in a defensive role too much?
Thanks

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 10:31 AM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
Hi sabres fans,
Wondering if you can shed light in Myers ....is he looking better? He is avail in my fantasy draft and wondering if theres hope for a resurgence..?
Is he being used in a defensive role too much?
Thanks
If preseason is any indication, go get him. Now.

If his preseason form hold, dude is gonna have a huge year. He's been dominant this preseason. He's skating REALLY well, making sound decisions, using his body the way he's most comfortable (shielding skaters to the outside, not letting them get position)....he's rushing the puck with confidence and timing his rushes well.

He'll be used on our top pairing with Ehrhoff for now and on the top PP unit, also likely with Ehrhoff. 40 points isn't out of the question.

Again, with one major caveat -- if preseason form holds.

Zman5778 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 10:35 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
If preseason is any indication, go get him. Now.

If his preseason form hold, dude is gonna have a huge year. He's been dominant this preseason. He's skating REALLY well, making sound decisions, using his body the way he's most comfortable (shielding skaters to the outside, not letting them get position)....he's rushing the puck with confidence and timing his rushes well.

He'll be used on our top pairing with Ehrhoff for now and on the top PP unit, also likely with Ehrhoff. 40 points isn't out of the question.

Again, with one major caveat -- if preseason form holds.
Hell, 40 points is almost a given if preseason form holds.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 10:38 AM
Shmuffalo
It's SAMSON, bozo.

Does anyone have pre-season stats for the team?

Shmuffalo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 11:13 AM
FanboySlayer*

If Grigorenko is going to play he MUST play with skilled players so I'm for him playing with Vanek. Playing him with Ott will get him and the Sabres nowhere - Leino is not an easy player for any center to play with so keep him away from Grigorenko.

Give it a 5 game trial - if they're -10, oh well, we are in a rebuild.

FanboySlayer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 11:37 AM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
I'm really pushing for Myers to be like he was in the regular season. He looks reformed.

TCRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 11:38 AM
joshjull

I asked this in the training camp thread.

Dess anyone know when the deadline is for players to be on waivers? I'm assuming its some time tomorrow.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 11:50 AM
koarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I asked this in the training camp thread.

Dess anyone know when the deadline is for players to be on waivers? I'm assuming its some time tomorrow.
Monday, 5pm ET, according to http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...472/story.html

koarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 12:07 PM
Shmuffalo
It's SAMSON, bozo.

STATS. I want stats. #numbersdon'tlie #yolo... all that nonsense.

Shmuffalo is online now   Reply With Quote