HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

1965 Bobby Hull Contract Negotiations

Old
09-18-2013, 12:39 PM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
1965 Bobby Hull Contract Negotiations

After the 1964-65 season, Bobby Hull's long term contract with the Chicago Blackhawks ended.

In the following August 18, 1965 column, Dink Carroll sets out the demands of Bobby Hull going forward, the league issues and the ripple effect throughout the NHL and the other five teams.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...5159%2C3279638

Point could be made that the seeds of Bobby Hull's departure to the WHA were planted at this time after being gathered when Bill Norris offered $1,000,000 for Frank Mahovlich a few years earlier.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Killion

Yes very much so, "seeds planted". When he next re-negotiated in I think it was 68 or 69, he again demanded $100,000 & sat out the first 11 games of that season before accepting $60,000. However, much to his humiliation, Chicago demanded he hold a full court press conference & apologize publicly to the fans & his team mates for essentially being selfish in denying his services. He never forgave them for that, so when Ben Hatskin of the WHA came knocking with a $1M offer during the 71/72 season he was all ears. Finally a way to gain the upper hand, revenge on the Blackhawks & the NHL for its years of parsimonious salaries, restrictive trade practices & subjugation. The Orr rookie contract, the publicity surrounding the Mahovlich offer which Ballard reneged on & Hull's public statements in negotiating through the press to some extent, the takedown of Eddie Shore & rise of Eagleson, Expansion, Hulls $1M contract with the WHA.... Bobby Hull changed the game on the ice & off it and all for the better.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:02 PM
SidTheKid87

For a full account of this, check out Gare Joyce's book, "The Devil and Bobby Hull." It includes great details of Hull's feud with the Black Hawks and how his deal with the WHA came about. A truly great read.

SidTheKid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 03:21 PM
Killion

Yes I read that a few months ago. Totally engrossing, very well researched & written indeed. My only complaint would be that Joyce at times appeared to me to be overly acidic in his criticisms of Hull. Bordered on almost contempt, a certain cruelty that I couldve lived without reading as it was clearly his own opinion & I would say problem. Who is he to sit in judgement?... Of particular interest was his hypothesis that Hull very likely suffered concussions early & throughout his career that went undiagnosed which may have contributed to & exacerbated his behavioral problems off the ice; responsible as well for the deterioration of his health of the past decade and a bit; the shaking, sometimes memory loss & so on.

Old
09-18-2013, 08:29 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

Interesting word, that 'negotiations'. Pollock had already used his power to ensure that there would be no negotiations in Montreal, only set increases per year based on performance. Did Hull have a player agent at this time? Even a lawyer who could interpret the legal mumble jumble? Was anyone aware of the actual revenue of NHL teams and what owners could afford to pay players? How much of the piece of the pie were the players of this era actually getting? I would liken these types of interactions between owners and players to bullying rather than negotiations.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 08:43 PM
Killion

^^^ No LBD, Hull didnt have an agent. Had been approached by Eagleson who clearly couldve used a client like Hull, then arguably the games biggest star, however, Hull didnt like Alan much, didnt trust him. Seems Hull was one of those guys who felt it best to act as his own attorney at times, including during his divorce proceedings much to the courts displeasure. When it came to his contracts he knew enough but beyond that, well, the old saying only a fool acts as his own attorney would certainly be applicable in that particular case.