Notices

What do the Jets really need?

Old
09-19-2013, 09:10 AM
WHLfollower

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Legit 2C... maybe that'll be Scheifele? maybe not?
Legit 3C... maybe that'll be Jokinen? maybe not?
Legit 2LD... maybe that'll be Clitsome? maybe not?
Legit 1G... maybe that'l.................. ya...

With those pieces, plus LLW, Kane, Bogo, Buff, Tobi, Frolik, Seto you have a decent enough team. Rest of the parts can pretty much rotate even with replacement level players and still make some noise.
I am still shocked that Jets and Maple Leafs could be really great trading partners. Maple Leafs center depth needs get better but for the most part solved most of the issues. The blue line defense core is one giant mess we have too many left hand d-mans. What would you guys trade for Mark Fraser he can play top 4 (kinda) and also John-Michael Liles which also kinda can play top 4 which is also a lefty guy.

WHLfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 09:10 AM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Lower GA / SA (team defense), better SV% (Pavelec). Some combination of those two, and I think that'll take them to the next level. Not worried about the scoring, as there are enough guys at FW and D that should be able to put the puck in the net, IMHO.

EDIT: not really interested in Fraser, and really not interested in JML.

Last edited by YWGinYYZ: 09-19-2013 at 09:19 AM.
YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 09:17 AM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Lower GA / SA (team defense), lower SV% (Pavelec). Some combination of those two, and I think that'll take them to the next level. Not worried about the scoring, as there are enough guys at FW and D that should be able to put the puck in the net, IMHO.

I hope u mean Pavelac should have a higher SV% .905 to .918

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 09:19 AM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 View Post
I hope u mean Pavelac should have a higher SV% .905 to .918
Hahaha! Yep. Must be my anti-Pavelec bias coming to a head.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 09:23 AM
Channelcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotSuperstar View Post
I like Noel, but Id have to say a legit #1 C, and an NHL calibur Head Coach

Maybe even a #1 D

Channelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 09:26 AM
King Woodballs

vCash: 375
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelcat View Post

Maybe even a #1 D
1) Noel is a legit NHL head coach
2) Little is a #1 center
3) Buff is a legit #1 d

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 09:36 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

First and foremost...goaltending.

other then that.... depth at center and some higher end D depth.

Even if schief steps up and owns the #2 center spot, an injury to any of littl- schief-jokinen puts us in an ugly spot for 3c.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 09:38 AM
GoldenJet89

we need a 3rd pairing LHD. Glaring weakness right now IMO

GoldenJet89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 09:58 AM
Flair Hay

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Lower GA / SA (team defense), better SV% (Pavelec). Some combination of those two, and I think that'll take them to the next level. Not worried about the scoring, as there are enough guys at FW and D that should be able to put the puck in the net, IMHO.

JML's price tag is too high to give up any assets for. We just resigned Clitsome for 3 years to fill the 2nd pairing and 2nd PP roles for the time being.

We have our own version of Mark Fraser in Mark Stuart. Unless its an elite PK defenseman we don't lack much on defense now or in the future.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 10:02 AM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

Quote:
I'm pretty tough on Noel, but Matt Leibl made a pretty good case for him on the Big Show this morning: Noel's basically been given the Atlanta Thrashers + Olli Jokinen, Antti Miettinen Kyle Wellwood and Grant Clitsome (minus Johnny Oduya). The team played only a couple of games with their Top 3 D intact last year. Enstrom and Bogo missed 41 games between them. Ron GD Hainsey led the team in minutes! And they were 18th in Shots Against and only missed the playoffs by 4 points. Results-wise, I don't know how much more you could expect. You think Vigneault or Carlyle or Hitch could've done much better? Maybe...? Who else was available in June 2011? MacT?

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Channelcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnASilverMountain View Post
1) Noel is a legit NHL head coach
2) Little is a #1 center
3) Buff is a legit #1 d
I would like to know what you are basing that on. I've not seen any evidence to support those statements.

Old
09-19-2013, 10:11 AM
King Woodballs

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelcat View Post
I would like to know what you are basing that on. I've not seen any evidence to support those statements.
What are you basing your comments on?

Because Noel hasnt got this team into the playoffs in a season and a half?

Buff is top 5 in d scoring since the Jets returned, and for all the complaints about his "poor" defensive play... he is no worse then Letang or Green and those guys are "#1" d men

Why is little not a #1 center? Because he doesnt score 30 goals a year? That is what Ladd and Wheeler are for.
He needs to dish not score.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 10:59 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHLfollower View Post
I am still shocked that Jets and Maple Leafs could be really great trading partners. Maple Leafs center depth needs get better but for the most part solved most of the issues. The blue line defense core is one giant mess we have too many left hand d-mans. What would you guys trade for Mark Fraser he can play top 4 (kinda) and also John-Michael Liles which also kinda can play top 4 which is also a lefty guy.
As others have said, absolutely no interest in Fraser or JML. Neither of those guys are top 4 quality, and we have enough bottom pairing guys coming up.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 11:25 AM
Edgar Halliwax
aka Marvin Candle

Quote:
I knew that before I finished reading the first page of this thread somebody would say that...

Who would you hire that is currently available and why would he be a better choice than Noel?

Edgar Halliwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 11:28 AM
lostpuppysyndrome
iddqd

What the the Jets really need? It's actually a more thought provoking question that it would initially seem. They have scoring wingers, they have some D men that the rest of the league would pay dearly for, they have some grit, and they do have a talented but inconsistent goalie. What the Jets need is to play consistently at a high level. When they're all playing hard at the same time, they look nigh on unstoppable. They could use another playmaking center, but that's why their chips are on Scheif and Olli. IMO, if they can't achieve a high level of success this year, it's on Noel. I like their chances though.

lostpuppysyndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 04:04 PM
BigZ65

Consistent play from the big money players. Start in goal and work your way out. The core guys are getting to a point where the "young team" excuse is wearing out. Need to bring it all 82 nights.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 06:43 PM
ATLbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnASilverMountain View Post
What are you basing your comments on?

Because Noel hasnt got this team into the playoffs in a season and a half?

Buff is top 5 in d scoring since the Jets returned, and for all the complaints about his "poor" defensive play... he is no worse then Letang or Green and those guys are "#1" d men

Why is little not a #1 center? Because he doesnt score 30 goals a year? That is what Ladd and Wheeler are for.
He needs to dish not score.
Im so sick and tired of the Little not being a #1 centre, being stated as an average 2nd liner. Not even going to bother bringing up all the stats I have in the past. He is a top 30 center in the league. Just because he is not the top 15-20 doesn't mean he is not a 1st line centre. Yes he is a lower 1st line centre, but still posts low end 1st line centre stats. On pace for 55 points last year, thats with his goal total being about as low as it ever has. 24 goals the year before. Little has a solid shot at 20 goals, 50+ points this year with no time missed. Not to mention all the Little things, he is our best defensive forward, pretty good on face-offs, and can shut down teams "1st line centre's, that are "better then him." One of our top PK'ers as well. Little can pass fine as a 1st line centre if we have a real 2nd line centre. Which we don't, we have 2 3rd line centre's.

ATLbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 07:04 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:

Came here to say that. I really want Dave Tippett coaching this team. Sadly that's unlikely as he's under contract.

If the JETS were coached to play defensive hockey like Tippett teams are, Pavelec's number would jump up to where we need them to be and if Scheifele can develop into a reliable #2 centre, everything would be fine.

In a perfect world, Tipp will get shown the door in the desert and immediately after, Noel would be fired to get the Saskatchewan native to the Manitoba capital.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 08:24 PM
VictoriaJetsFan

A stud left handed defenceman to play with Bogo...

VictoriaJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 09:08 PM
broinwhyteridge

Need to stop taking games off.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Hansen Brother

MOAR GOLZ!!! (or however you spell that)

Hansen Brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 10:43 PM
Mud Turtle

The Jets need another playmaker or two.

With eight exhibition games, why did they send guys like Petan down? Let them get more experience here. We'll need their talent pretty soon.

Mud Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 10:57 PM
Channelcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLbound View Post
Im so sick and tired of the Little not being a #1 centre, being stated as an average 2nd liner. Not even going to bother bringing up all the stats I have in the past. He is a top 30 center in the league. Just because he is not the top 15-20 doesn't mean he is not a 1st line centre. Yes he is a lower 1st line centre, but still posts low end 1st line centre stats. On pace for 55 points last year, thats with his goal total being about as low as it ever has. 24 goals the year before. Little has a solid shot at 20 goals, 50+ points this year with no time missed. Not to mention all the Little things, he is our best defensive forward, pretty good on face-offs, and can shut down teams "1st line centre's, that are "better then him." One of our top PK'ers as well. Little can pass fine as a 1st line centre if we have a real 2nd line centre. Which we don't, we have 2 3rd line centre's.
Littles best season ever was 51 pts...playing with Kovalchuk. I actually like Little, and he IS our number one center whether adequate or not. Noel on the other hand should have been replaced. I'm tired of saying it, but he is completely in over his head, and that will become even more pronounced playing this new division.

Old
09-19-2013, 11:31 PM
Skidooboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets Fan 64 View Post
The Jets need another playmaker or two.

With eight exhibition games, why did they send guys like Petan down? Let them get more experience here. We'll need their talent pretty soon.
There is no way Petan and the rest of the young guns need to be in NHL preseason games right now. To young and raw. They belong where they are. Let the AHL guys get ready for thier season, let the NHL ready prospects play. Let the NHL guys have more ice time, spend time with, and solidify overall chemistry with guys who you might be forced to dress some night due to injury.

Skidooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 11:50 PM
Duir

I agree with patience.

Duir is offline   Reply With Quote