Notices

New - some questions

Old
04-26-2014, 05:30 AM
icy1king

vCash: 500
New - some questions

Hi Guys,

im starting to like the Stars a little bit and i was wondering a couple thinks.

1. I red that the Stars have a real small fanbase and attendanceproblems. Is this a big problem and do you think this will change in the future? Or is Texas just too much into Football?

2. In connection to my point above, do you think a relocation could someday be a realistic thing?

3. Texas is known to be a loud and proud state. Does this also translate to the Stars? Is it a proud fanbase? A proud team-culture?

Thx a lot!

icy1king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 05:39 AM
Bkennedy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by icy1king View Post
Hi Guys,

1. I red that the Stars have a real small fanbase and attendanceproblems. Is this a big problem and do you think this will change in the future? Or is Texas just too much into Football?

2. In connection to my point above, do you think a relocation could someday be a realistic thing?

3. Texas is known to be a loud and proud state. Does this also translate to the Stars? Is it a proud fanbase? A proud team-culture?

Thx a lot!

1/3) It's not real small in the sense of Phoenix/Florida, etc. But it's not a Toronto. We've had several sellouts this season, and the intro to this video should show you that it's certainly got a punch to the fanbase. The team is doing well again and the fans are coming out in big numbers. It's becoming a pretty decently common topic now, much more than in recent years.

http://video.stars.nhl.com/videocent...sole?id=607944

2) No, I don't see them getting relocated. Definitely not in the close future.

Bkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 06:21 AM
RastaRockett

Attendance was down because the team has been down, and it is their first year recovering from some ownership issues. If you look at attendance historically with this team, you will see that they actually do well.

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...h.php?tmi=5404

This year was way down, but they also have had years in the top 10. I would expect it to start rising again as Nill works his magic.

RastaRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 10:35 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

When you miss the playoffs 5 years in a row and have no owner, along with every single other team in the city winning, your fanbase is going to take a hit and ours did. But the improve was seen for sure this season. The crowd have been loud most of the year, but the post season has taken it to new levels.

I know we've had crowds over 19,000 at least 3 times this season (for an arena that holds 18,532) and it'll be that again on Sunday. I have no idea why they just now started to have standing room only seats but it's working and the city is finally realizing again what great talent we have and have coming.

We're not getting relocated. Arena deal is one of the best in the entire league and we're one of the most successful southern teams in the entire league. Its not happening.

And as for #3, watch Sunday.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 01:26 AM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
When you miss the playoffs 5 years in a row and have no owner, along with every single other team in the city winning, your fanbase is going to take a hit and ours did. But the improve was seen for sure this season. The crowd have been loud most of the year, but the post season has taken it to new levels.
To add to this (and it's been said before, many times by you, but it really needs to be told to everyone that asks), the team will never be Toronto-level in terms of fanbase. This is Texas, not Canada.

Our team that is basically the Leafs is the Cowboys. Every other team is fighting for #2 in the metroplex. No playoffs in 5 years with the other two getting in at least once in those 5 years means the Stars were basically last in the metro for current fan interest.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote