HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anthony Sanfilippo

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2005, 12:48 PM
mercury

vCash: 500
Anthony Sanfilippo

Am I too harsh on this guy, or do people agree with me that he is truly the worst newspaper writer they have ever seen? His articles in the Delaware County Daily Times on the Phantoms all season were full of cliches and nonsensical similes left and right. He's pretty inarticulate. And, to make it worse, he is not just a hockey writer, he's the Daily Times music writer now, too. His review of the various acts at Live 8 is atrocious.

Bon Jovi: "If there was any question who a majority of the crowd came to see, it was answered before the clock struck one. (T)his was a Bon Jovi crowd." Not as far as I could tell. They were not even close to headlining, and they didn't come close to selling out the Vet, when they performed the last concert ever there. Probably because everyone in the Philadelphia metro area over age 15 has seen them at least once.

Kanye West - "I admit, I didn't realize this guy was so damn popular." You'd expect someone who writes about popular music for a living not to be ignorant about it. Apparently, being one of the most popular producers in hip-hop, winning multiple Grammys, and going platinum several times over with your debut solo record is not very noticeable.

Dave Matthews Band - "You'd of thought thought this would get the crowd going again." Well, first of all, it's "You'd HAVE thought. . ." I can't stand it when someone who writes for a living does that. Amateur writers do it on these boards all the time, and it's annoying enough then. Secondly, why would he have thought that the crowd would get going? Has he ever been to a DMB concert? Most of the people are not there to get going in a call-and-response big chorus thing. They jam for extended periods of time, and the intoxicated fans kinda sway and groove, unless they are drunken frat boys, who fight and puke. The one time I saw Dave, I saw more people pass out from doing whip-its than sing along with the songs. One exception was "Crash" to which every girl there knows every word.

Alicia Keys - Well, at least he got her right. One of the most overrated artists in the world at the moment, and unengaging onstage at that.

Def Leppard - "I had no idea they were still together." Admittedly, I am sure most people wouldn't know that, either. However, I did, and I am not being paid to write about music by anyone (perhaps I should oust Sanfilippo from both the hockey and rock music beats at the Times ?).

Jars of Clay - "The Christian Rock band seemed a bit out of place at Live 8. . . " Exactly. The LAST thing I could imagine a Christian rock band being involved with is a charity concert.

Sarah MacLachlan - This guy really digs her, which is fine, but he goes too far when he praises anyone who duets with Josh Groban. UGH.

Keith Urban - "Will someone make this Aussie country star a little more famous? The guy can sing." I am pretty sure Keith Urban's new song is the #2 song on country music radio at the moment.

Rob Thomas - "Something about this guy as a solo act is lacking (talent? - ed.). I really liked him with Matchbox Twenty, but now he seems to be taking himself too seriously. There's no more fun in his music." This is like being served every dessert in the world at the same time. I don't know where to start. How about this? Matchbox Twenty suck. As to being too serious, where was he when Matchbox Twenty were putting out their dour, lifeless pop music 4-5 years ago? "Fun" is one of the last words I would use to describe them.

And, I will grant that he nailed Stevie Wonder, who could probably bang pots and pans together and make a better song than most people on the radio currently. It just makes me cringe that my local newspaper has such low-quality coverage of two things dear to my heart: pop music and hockey. Sorry for venting so much.

Old
07-08-2005, 08:48 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
I actually think Rob Thomas was good with Matchbox 20/matchboxtwenty, better than whatever the crap he is putting out now. I put the sellout tag. He is very talented but he isn't a pop guy. What the hell is some of this **** he sings?

Old
07-09-2005, 03:38 AM
mercury

vCash: 500
Honestly, I think drugs are involved. When Matchbox Twenty first came out, Rob Thomas was a little pudgy. By the time of the second album and the beginning of his solo career, he was skinny, pale, and had dark circles around his eyes. Perhaps he was one of those rockers who gets famous and then overdoes it with the old Bolivian Marching Powder?

Closed Thread