HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

European Champions Hockey League - starting in 2014 (MOD WARNING POST 361)

Old
09-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
European broadcasters interest in the World Cup has always been small and especially since NHL went to the Olympics. The tv ratings pale in comparison to the ones the World Championships get. If they get one going in 2016 (I'm still slightly sceptical about that), in e.g. Finland there would not be any bidding war for the rights as today's papers indicated, the pay tv networks already have too many properties and struggle to make profit with the ones they have. Were it to go pay tv, the ratings would be abysmal and the whole tournament out of the general public's eyes and ears, ergo it would still be well below the Olympics and Worlds.
No doubt it doesn't help that the tournament has had such an ad hoc approach to hosting it. 1996, eight years later, 2004, 12 years later? Until the tournament actually gets some decent traction and consistency, it's going to struggle. If the NHL is smart, it gets the IIHF on board for the World Cup, in exchange for going to Korea, and starts hosting the tournament regularly to gain some credibility. The World Cup will generate enough revenue in North America alone to make it worthwhile, but I doubt the NHL's goal is to leave it at that.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 03:41 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
None of us know what kind of money is involved and where it will go. However, if the IIHF thinks it'll get better income from an annual WHC than it will from bi-annual WCup in conjunction with the NHL, one does not need to be a rocket scientist to figure out which option they'll pick. No matter what us hockey viewers would love to see.

And I really don't see the KHL quitting on being IIHF's model partner any time soon, given how it's one of the advantages they hold over the NHL while trying to lure over both European players and viewers alike. And even if they one day grow be a league that truly rivals the NHL, they wouldn't probably start playing hardball even then - because then the NHL could simply start flirting with the IIHF to win over some of those lost hearts.

As a matter fo fact, EHT is toast. They're canning it after this season. It's bound to be replaced by a more loose series of matchups during the NT breaks, not just limited to the current four. And this is not just some speculation, it's a matter that has already been decided for and officially confirmed.

Wait. Are you saying that the IIHF should willfully reduce its role and technically let the Russians run the show instead? No wonder they're flippin' a bird to the offered deal, if it threatens to neuter them.

The IIHF may not be perfect, but it's still the best possible party to represent the sport of hockey on the global scale. Sure as hell beats a situation where the NHL and the KHL make whatever backroom deals and however the heck they will.
I just say that NHL and KHL have a deal. They will do what they want, wont ask IIHF if IIHF is too stubborn. NHL and KHL are on the same boat here. Both will play hardball.

EHT will have new model, but still there are games during season. When do you want to play Champions League (with KHL)?

There are analysis, according to Shalaev, saying that IIHF would not lose money if organise WHC every 2nd year. So I dont know what numbers you guys are talking about.

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 03:48 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
No doubt it doesn't help that the tournament has had such an ad hoc approach to hosting it. 1996, eight years later, 2004, 12 years later? Until the tournament actually gets some decent traction and consistency, it's going to struggle. If the NHL is smart, it gets the IIHF on board for the World Cup, in exchange for going to Korea, and starts hosting the tournament regularly to gain some credibility. The World Cup will generate enough revenue in North America alone to make it worthwhile, but I doubt the NHL's goal is to leave it at that.
NHL wants this. KHL supports it, but wants WHC every 2nd year. All make sense, you can make deal NHL-IIHF-KHL. Share money, no problem.

Old
09-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
The inconsistent scheduling has less to do with it. The image of the tournament has always been that of a NHL/NHLPA cashcrab, designed to favor North American teams. Also the timing has always been the worst possible(as I've said many times), Europeans jsut don't care about international hockey in August/September with so many other sporting events taking place (European football leagues/domestic hockey leagues starting) or having taken place just recently (I remember how little talk there was of the 2004 World Cup after Athens Olympics). There could also be question marks whether European federations are willing to go partake if the tournament once again were to force them to travel to NA for the playoff stage, not to mention how many countries would take part and how they were decided. No one know if Russia even cares to take part if things were to remain the same.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 06:48 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
NHL wants this. KHL supports it, but wants WHC every 2nd year. All make sense, you can make deal NHL-IIHF-KHL. Share money, no problem.
I'm not sure it's in the IIHF's financial interest to give up two World Championships per cycle at this point. Maybe by 2020 if there's a second World Cup and fans start to trust and take the tournament seriously as a quadrennial thing. Then perhaps the IIHF can start to consider if he financial windfall from the World Cup would be more than two Worlds.

Old
09-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
The inconsistent scheduling has less to do with it. The image of the tournament has always been that of a NHL/NHLPA cashcrab, designed to favor North American teams. Also the timing has always been the worst possible(as I've said many times), Europeans jsut don't care about international hockey in August/September with so many other sporting events taking place (European football leagues/domestic hockey leagues starting) or having taken place just recently (I remember how little talk there was of the 2004 World Cup after Athens Olympics). There could also be question marks whether European federations are willing to go partake if the tournament once again were to force them to travel to NA for the playoff stage, not to mention how many countries would take part and how they were decided. No one know if Russia even cares to take part if things were to remain the same.
The European teams were only required to fly to North America for the semifinals and finals. Obviously quite a few logistics for the organizers to work out before we judge the new tournament format. I'd assume the NHL would be somewhat smart and look at how MLB runs the World Baseball Classic, with money flowing to the Federations and there actually being some form of qualification.

Old
09-23-2013, 06:53 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
I just say that NHL and KHL have a deal. They will do what they want, wont ask IIHF if IIHF is too stubborn. NHL and KHL are on the same boat here. Both will play hardball.

EHT will have new model, but still there are games during season. When do you want to play Champions League (with KHL)?

There are analysis, according to Shalaev, saying that IIHF would not lose money if organise WHC every 2nd year. So I dont know what numbers you guys are talking about.
It just depends on how much the NHL is willing to share with the IIHF.

Old
09-23-2013, 08:16 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
The European teams were only required to fly to North America for the semifinals and finals. Obviously quite a few logistics for the organizers to work out before we judge the new tournament format. I'd assume the NHL would be somewhat smart and look at how MLB runs the World Baseball Classic, with money flowing to the Federations and there actually being some form of qualification.
The insurance payments for NHL players are reaching 8 figures per team, less profit to share than in baseball.

Oh yeah, the ECC would be played during the days left over from the previous EHT.

Old
09-23-2013, 08:21 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
NHL and KHL are on the same boat here. Both will play hardball.
I'll say this once again. The key aim of the KHL right now is to win over the hearts and minds of the potential hockey audiences in all of Europe - the same group for whom the annual WHCs are a big thing. Trying to strong-arm the IIHF and antagonize themselves in the eyes of said group would be extremely counter-productive in regards to their ambitions.

So at least for now, they will very likely do nothing but play nice. Maybe some time in the future when they gain more influence that becomes a topic of reevaluation, and who knows, maybe things have changed so much that it becomes a topic of consideration for the IIHF as well. But as of right now, the IIHF has no sensible reason to diminish their best source of income, and the KHL would only shoot its own leg if they started strong-arming them.

And before you get all worked up, let me point out that I'm no fan of the current system. However, simply because I think there's room for improvement, doesn't mean I'm not cynical enough to figure that nothing's gonna change any time soon. Simply put, the IIHF really has no incentive to do so - no matter what kind of backroom deals the KHL and the NHL have in the making.

Because in the end, it falls down to having the hearts of the market. The NHL is in an opportune position because they're the biggest hockey thing in North America. But the KHL is not the biggest powerholder in Europe, that is the IIHF. And for as long as that holds true, various leagues around the old continent - including the mighty KHL - should have no other motivation than to play ball with them, even if that happens with gritted teeth.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 11:18 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
The insurance payments for NHL players are reaching 8 figures per team, less profit to share than in baseball.

Oh yeah, the ECC would be played during the days left over from the previous EHT.
That's not really the point.

Old
09-24-2013, 04:35 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
I'll say this once again. The key aim of the KHL right now is to win over the hearts and minds of the potential hockey audiences in all of Europe - the same group for whom the annual WHCs are a big thing. Trying to strong-arm the IIHF and antagonize themselves in the eyes of said group would be extremely counter-productive in regards to their ambitions.

So at least for now, they will very likely do nothing but play nice. Maybe some time in the future when they gain more influence that becomes a topic of reevaluation, and who knows, maybe things have changed so much that it becomes a topic of consideration for the IIHF as well. But as of right now, the IIHF has no sensible reason to diminish their best source of income, and the KHL would only shoot its own leg if they started strong-arming them.

And before you get all worked up, let me point out that I'm no fan of the current system. However, simply because I think there's room for improvement, doesn't mean I'm not cynical enough to figure that nothing's gonna change any time soon. Simply put, the IIHF really has no incentive to do so - no matter what kind of backroom deals the KHL and the NHL have in the making.

Because in the end, it falls down to having the hearts of the market. The NHL is in an opportune position because they're the biggest hockey thing in North America. But the KHL is not the biggest powerholder in Europe, that is the IIHF. And for as long as that holds true, various leagues around the old continent - including the mighty KHL - should have no other motivation than to play ball with them, even if that happens with gritted teeth.
Who knows? I have a feeling that KHL has more power in Europe than IIHF. But it is another topic.

Look, NHL wants World Cup, IIHF wants NHLers at OG. NHL needs Russian at World Cup, KHL needs new model of WHC. I would not be suprised if NHL offered following model A) World Cup, B) NHLers at OG C) reschedulling WHC

IIHF would be forced to accept the offer, you know OG Dont forget for NHL vs Europe games etc. There are many things to improve. I know, IIHF will try to block it. The question is, why do we need IIHF??

Btw, I am not sure that annual WHC is better option in financial point of view than WHC every 2nd yrs. Listen to Shalaev

Old
09-24-2013, 04:56 AM
Slimmy

Quote:
Who knows? I have a feeling that KHL has more power in Europe than IIHF. But it is another topic.

Look, NHL wants World Cup, IIHF wants NHLers at OG. NHL needs Russian at World Cup, KHL needs new model of WHC. I would not be suprised if NHL offered following model A) World Cup, B) NHLers at OG C) reschedulling WHC

IIHF would be forced to accept the offer, you know OG Dont forget for NHL vs Europe games etc. There are many things to improve. I know, IIHF will try to block it. The question is, why do we need IIHF??

Btw, I am not sure that annual WHC is better option in financial point of view than WHC every 2nd yrs. Listen to Shalaev
Why do we need the IIHF? Do you purposely just ignore every point made that don't favor your argument or do you google translate every post?

Slimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 06:00 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimmy View Post
Why do we need the IIHF? Do you purposely just ignore every point made that don't favor your argument or do you google translate every post?
IIHF is not able to organise WHC U18 with best prospects
IIHF is not able to organise WHC with best players
IIHF is not able to negotiate NHL patricipation in OG a few yrs befor OG starts
IIHF is not able to approve fair transfer rules for everyone (no develpment fee, no transfer fee)

And I can go on....

Now there is time when NHL and KHL as best leagues in the world want to negotiate with IIHF its championship schedulle. IIHF is not able to sit behind the table and negotiate.

All in all, NHL and KHL will make a deal, will control all major international transfers, will make World Cup of Hockey as tournament for NTs - no place for IIHF.

I dont want this to happen, but I think it will happen sooner than later. IIHF will not be a winner..

Old
09-24-2013, 06:25 AM
Slimmy

Quote:
IIHF is not able to organise WHC U18 with best prospects
IIHF is not able to organise WHC with best players
IIHF is not able to negotiate NHL patricipation in OG a few yrs befor OG starts
IIHF is not able to approve fair transfer rules for everyone (no develpment fee, no transfer fee)

And I can go on....

Now there is time when NHL and KHL as best leagues in the world want to negotiate with IIHF its championship schedulle. IIHF is not able to sit behind the table and negotiate.

All in all, NHL and KHL will make a deal, will control all major international transfers, will make World Cup of Hockey as tournament for NTs - no place for IIHF.

I dont want this to happen, but I think it will happen sooner than later. IIHF will not be a winner..
You've made it perfectly clear that you believe that the IIHF is obsolete and irrelevant. HOWEVER, your question was; "Why do we need the IIHF?"
IIHF is the single most importand body for the development of icehockey in the world, outside of the the big hockeypowers.
For the growth of the sport and as an important counterpart to the powerfull economic interests of the NHL, IIHF is indispensable.

Old
09-24-2013, 07:27 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
You've made it perfectly clear that you believe that the IIHF is obsolete and irrelevant. HOWEVER, your question was; "Why do we need the IIHF?"
IIHF is the single most importand body for the development of icehockey in the world, outside of the the big hockeypowers.
For the growth of the sport and as an important counterpart to the powerfull economic interests of the NHL, IIHF is indispensable.
I have never said bold part, so pls re-read my post.

IIHF cares about development of icehockey in the world, outside of the the big hockeypowers. Ok, lets have a look. Player from Hungary went to Sweden at age of 14-15. He plays for swedish club until 20, then signs in NHL. Hungarian club gets nothing! Imagine this hungarian kid decided to sing in KHL, swedish club got big cash from KHL club, hungarian club gets nothing.

Swedish club gets for world superstar 300 000 USD, the same money as for AHLer.

Sure, IIHF cares about development of the game.

Old
09-24-2013, 07:27 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
If I've understood correctly, Hungary has made huge strides in recent years. Where would they be without IIHF support and annual promotion tournaments?

Bringing up kids who play 5 years abroad is useless when referring NHL transfer money which is covered for the players clubs in the last 3 seasons. How about kid who goes to Sweden at age 17, then signs with an NHL club at 20? Original club (which might not even be more thana junior club) would get 30% IIRC the amount.

I also didn't know KHL signs singers.

Last edited by Jussi: 09-24-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old
09-24-2013, 07:46 AM
Slimmy

Quote:
I have never said bold part, so pls re-read my post.

IIHF cares about development of icehockey in the world, outside of the the big hockeypowers. Ok, lets have a look. Player from Hungary went to Sweden at age of 14-15. He plays for swedish club until 20, then signs in NHL. Hungarian club gets nothing! Imagine this hungarian kid decided to sing in KHL, swedish club got big cash from KHL club, hungarian club gets nothing.

Swedish club gets for world superstar 300 000 USD, the same money as for AHLer.

Sure, IIHF cares about development of the game.
The level of ignorance you display is mind boggling ???
The amount individual hockey federations recieve from the IIHF is used, in part, to further develop youth hockey in these nations. How are talented players from these minor hockey nations supposed to develope to strengthen their domestic leagues if they leave to play in Sweden at an early age? Do you even read what you write?
Are you implying IIHF cares for nothing but to cash in on international competition? Then, why have lower tier tournaments at all? Why even have the possibility of lower tier teams advancing to the WHC and higher tier teams risking relegation?
Why not simply make it an invitiational and call it a day?

Old
09-24-2013, 07:58 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
The level of ignorance you display is mind boggling ???
The amount individual hockey federations recieve from the IIHF is used, in part, to further develop youth hockey in these nations. How are talented players from these minor hockey nations supposed to develope to strengthen their domestic leagues if they leave to play in Sweden at an early age? Do you even read what you write?
Are you implying IIHF cares for nothing but to cash in on international competition? Then, why have lower tier tournaments at all? Why even have the possibility of lower tier teams advancing to the WHC and higher tier teams risking relegation?
Why not simply make it an invitiational and call it a day?
I wont be insulting and ignorant as you are. Dont worry.

Are you speaking about week tournament at the end of season, right? Great, just great.

The more important thing than one week tournament is transfer rules.

Hungarian kid plays for hungarian club until 12-13 yrs. The moved to swedish club for better competition. Hungarian club gets no money. This kid develops, sign with another swedish clubs and again, hungarian club sees no money. The kid signs in NHL after playing in Sweden, hungarian club sees no money. Kid signs in KHL after playing in Sweden, no money for hungarian club.

Yes, IIHF can send some money to Hungary, but why not to make rules like in football/basketball where small clubs gets xy% from transfer fee of a player? That would help not only hungarian club, but also swedish one.

That is a problem of IIHF. They are not able to make transfer rules which are fair for small (hungary), middle (sweden) and big clubs (NHL).

People use to argue that hockey is not played in so many countries as basketball and football. Yes, but why? Because there are not transfer rules which would support it. That is a main problem of IIHF.

I dont want it to happen but I have to repeat myself. NHL and KHL makes a deal which will cause that IIHF is not important anymore. IIIHF is doing everything to happen this scenario. And it is sad.

Old
09-24-2013, 08:19 AM
Slimmy

Quote:
I wont be insulting and ignorant as you are. Dont worry.

Are you speaking about week tournament at the end of season, right? Great, just great.

The more important thing than one week tournament is transfer rules.

Hungarian kid plays for hungarian club until 12-13 yrs. The moved to swedish club for better competition. Hungarian club gets no money. This kid develops, sign with another swedish clubs and again, hungarian club sees no money. The kid signs in NHL after playing in Sweden, hungarian club sees no money. Kid signs in KHL after playing in Sweden, no money for hungarian club.

Yes, IIHF can send some money to Hungary, but why not to make rules like in football/basketball where small clubs gets xy% from transfer fee of a player? That would help not only hungarian club, but also swedish one.

That is a problem of IIHF. They are not able to make transfer rules which are fair for small (hungary), middle (sweden) and big clubs (NHL).

People use to argue that hockey is not played in so many countries as basketball and football. Yes, but why? Because there are not transfer rules which would support it. That is a main problem of IIHF.

I dont want it to happen but I have to repeat myself. NHL and KHL makes a deal which will cause that IIHF is not important anymore. IIIHF is doing everything to happen this scenario. And it is sad.
And where in all this does the KHL come in to save the day?
Sure, some critiscism of the IIHF is warranted but you neglect to mention whom else in todays hockey is as active as the IIHF in helping development of youth hockey in minor countries. Who, then, I ask?
How is it the IIHF's fault that they do not have as prominent a standing as their football counterpart?
Why not suggest ways in which the IIHF could become more influential in todays hockey, if that is really your concern?

Old
09-24-2013, 08:44 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
And where in all this does the KHL come in to save the day?
Sure, some critiscism of the IIHF is warranted but you neglect to mention whom else in todays hockey is as active as the IIHF in helping development of youth hockey in minor countries. Who, then, I ask?
How is it the IIHF's fault that they do not have as prominent a standing as their football counterpart?
Why not suggest ways in which the IIHF could become more influential in todays hockey, if that is really your concern?
Would be great if you discussed about IIHF and not change the topic.

I said you, transfer rules. Look at football and basketball. FIFA and FIBA. Both prostect small clubs/league not to be ravaged by stronger clubs/leagues.

You asked me for solutions and role of KHL, so there are a few

- restrict U18 players movement from country to country (so less or no Euros in CHL, which means better euro junior leagues - it helped development of game in more countries, not only Canada and US or Sweden and Russia which invests own money into the game)

- if there is an international transfer of U18 player, his new team must pay development fee to previous club.

- every club must respect contracts of players in every club of the globe. It is possible, look at KHL-NHL MoU

- if player under contract want to move to elsewhere, his new club must pay as much money to his previous club as the previous club wants.

- 2nd etc transfer of players - adopt FIFA rules
- young players after 1st pro contract - adopt FIBA rules (development fee). FIFA´s rules on development fee is good as well

KHL wants THIS model, but needs support of IIHF and federations.

This is not magic solutions of all problems, but good starting point.

Try to discuss movement of WHC. IIHF is not able to discuss it! How does IIHF knows that WHC in every 2nd year is bad idea if IIHF does not discuss it or does not listen to analysis?

Etc etc

Old
09-24-2013, 09:20 AM
Slimmy

Quote:
Would be great if you discussed about IIHF and not change the topic.

I said you, transfer rules. Look at football and basketball. FIFA and FIBA. Both prostect small clubs/league not to be ravaged by stronger clubs/leagues.

You asked me for solutions and role of KHL, so there are a few

- restrict U18 players movement from country to country (so less or no Euros in CHL, which means better euro junior leagues - it helped development of game in more countries, not only Canada and US or Sweden and Russia which invests own money into the game)

- if there is an international transfer of U18 player, his new team must pay development fee to previous club.

- every club must respect contracts of players in every club of the globe. It is possible, look at KHL-NHL MoU

- if player under contract want to move to elsewhere, his new club must pay as much money to his previous club as the previous club wants.

- 2nd etc transfer of players - adopt FIFA rules
- young players after 1st pro contract - adopt FIBA rules (development fee). FIFA´s rules on development fee is good as well

KHL wants THIS model, but needs support of IIHF and federations.

This is not magic solutions of all problems, but good starting point.

Try to discuss movement of WHC. IIHF is not able to discuss it! How does IIHF knows that WHC in every 2nd year is bad idea if IIHF does not discuss it or does not listen to analysis?

Etc etc
As far as I know, there is nothing stopping any football player of any age, who is not under contract, from going to any league or team they wish. Feel free to elaborate how these U18 rules would work.

At any rate, what you are suggesting is a pipe dream. In order for there to be anything close to what you suggest, as a more just transfersystem (of players across leagues) implies the governing body, the IIHF, has a level of influence which give them enough leverage to impose these rules globaly.
That's simply not the case. And what I was suggesting was for you to point out ways in which the IIHF could become more influential so that it could impose stricter rules to further level the playing field. So.. try again.

Btw, how the hell did I change the topic? You're the one who's constantly rambling on about the KHL.

Old
09-24-2013, 09:44 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
As far as I know, there is nothing stopping any football player of any age, who is not under contract, from going to any league or team they wish. Feel free to elaborate how these U18 rules would work.

At any rate, what you are suggesting is a pipe dream. In order for there to be anything close to what you suggest, as a more just transfersystem (of players across leagues) implies the governing body, the IIHF, has a level of influence which give them enough leverage to impose these rules globaly.
That's simply not the case. And what I was suggesting was for you to point out ways in which the IIHF could become more influential so that it could impose stricter rules to further level the playing field. So.. try again.

Btw, how the hell did I change the topic? You're the one who's constantly rambling on about the KHL.
I explain soccer, basketball, hockey transfer rules many times. Feel free to re-read my posts or to make own research.

Ask Javier Acuña Caballero and CAS if a football player U18 is free to sign in other country. There are strict rules. Of course some transfers are allowed, but not transfers which we can see in hockey.

Old
09-24-2013, 09:47 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
FIFA rules prohibit players under 18 from signing contracts longer than 3 years. Curious what the KHL would feel about this one... I think there might be other rules as well for younger players but it's well known clubs go around those by getting 9-10 years old to their youth academies. If IIHF had those rulings, this kid from Hungary couldn't have gone to Sweden at that young age and therefore couldn't have developed the way he did.

Old
09-24-2013, 09:53 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:

Players under 18 are not allowed to transfer to foreign countries.

Old
09-24-2013, 09:57 AM
Slimmy

Quote:
I explain soccer, basketball, hockey transfer rules many times. Feel free to re-read my posts or to make own research.

Ask Javier Acuña Caballero and CAS if a football player U18 is free to sign in other country. There are strict rules. Of course some transfers are allowed, but not transfers which we can see in hockey.
How is the IIHF going to impose these rules on leagues if they refuse? NHL won't submit to IIHF so what do you suggest they do?

And what U18 are we talking about? International competition with national teams or simply youth hockey leagues? I am aware of the rules which stipulates what a club can expect in development compensation in the case of football and future transfers between clubs. But players who are not under contract can go wherever they please. Am I wrong?