HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joe Colborne (see post #75)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-10-2013, 09:40 AM
  #276
TylerSVT*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,378
vCash: 500
I wish we could send him down, he has been awful.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 09:53 AM
  #277
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
I wish we could send him down, he has been awful.
I disagree. He's been doing very well. He's sitting on the bench, stretching his legs, and scooting over to let players on the bench.


That's all we've seen from him!

MarkGio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 09:59 AM
  #278
TylerSVT*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I disagree. He's been doing very well. He's sitting on the bench, stretching his legs, and scooting over to let players on the bench.


That's all we've seen from him!
Probably because he has played like donkey crap.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 10:23 AM
  #279
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Probably because he has played like donkey crap.
I feel like we've entered some sort of paradox. A mathematical loop if you will.

MarkGio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 10:26 AM
  #280
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,219
vCash: 50
Colborne has looked poor imo. He is extremely weak on the puck for a 6'5 220 pound guy, he is slow and doesn't really fit in the system we are trying to play, he generally doesn't seem to know what to do with the puck. I'm still hoping he figures it out but right now he just doesn't get it.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 10:31 AM
  #281
MuffinMerc
Business. Numbers!
 
MuffinMerc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,895
vCash: 1124
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Colborne has looked poor imo. He is extremely weak on the puck for a 6'5 220 pound guy, he is slow and doesn't really fit in the system we are trying to play, he generally doesn't seem to know what to do with the puck. I'm still hoping he figures it out but right now he just doesn't get it.
Came as advertised by Leafs fans.

MuffinMerc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 10:33 AM
  #282
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,219
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMerc View Post
Came as advertised by Leafs fans.
Yea as of right now I want the pick back

To be honest he needs to work on alot but he is young so he has time.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 10:35 AM
  #283
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Dust Buster
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,326
vCash: 2403
I think the plan with Colborne is to really try and work with him in practice to refine his game so he can be useful player for us. Colborne should get more and more minutes as the season and hopefully his play progresses.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 11:31 AM
  #284
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,978
vCash: 500
Maybe he wasn't in NHL shape this year? He can't be sent down for a conditioning stint, yet he can't keep up with the pace. He didn't seem slow to me, just that he slows down.

MarkGio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 01:19 PM
  #285
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Maybe he wasn't in NHL shape this year? He can't be sent down for a conditioning stint, yet he can't keep up with the pace. He didn't seem slow to me, just that he slows down.
Lots of practice for him should help. Just keep working with him and perhaps he'll get it. Right now he is just too slow and doesn't think fast enough to keep up with the rest of the roster

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 01:41 PM
  #286
Zoombie
Registered User
 
Zoombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 911
vCash: 500
To me he looks like he's playing with 0 confidence. You see the odd sign that he could become a third liner but he's playing with tunnel vision right now.

Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 01:45 PM
  #287
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,978
vCash: 500
I say we throw him to the wolves. We know we got a worker in Street, but we need a face-off guy for the PK and Powerplay. Let Street handle the 5-on-5, give Colby the special teams

MarkGio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 03:18 PM
  #288
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,219
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I say we throw him to the wolves. We know we got a worker in Street, but we need a face-off guy for the PK and Powerplay. Let Street handle the 5-on-5, give Colby the special teams
Idk if that is the best idea but I'm 99% positive that Hartley won't do that. For Hartley only the hardest working players get to play on either pp or pk and right now Colborne just isn't winning the battles he needs to in order to get onto those teams. He lost the puck twice in our zone last game in the first due to hang on to it to long and not fighting for it and after they we barely saw him. Colborne will have have to prove himself 5v5 before he ever gets a look on either pk or pp.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 04:18 PM
  #289
Demetric
Registered User
 
Demetric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Under a Rock
Country: Canada
Posts: 438
vCash: 91
I also think he is still trying to learn the systems, he was not around for pre season so he is basically 3 weeks behind everyone, and yes I know that should only go so far. It looks like he just does not want to make a mistake out there and thinking too much

Demetric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 04:28 PM
  #290
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post
I also think he is still trying to learn the systems, he was not around for pre season so he is basically 3 weeks behind everyone, and yes I know that should only go so far. It looks like he just does not want to make a mistake out there and thinking too much
This is true. I expect him to turn it around in time.

MarkGio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 05:43 PM
  #291
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs
 
Volica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,496
vCash: 550
Unsure if you guys are watching the same hockey I am.
Like, him being soft, not using his body, speed...

He's been defensively strong, he was top 10 in the NHL in hits (Before this last game where he pretty much just sat it out), he had zip, he seemed offensively aware... he bumped his faceoff % from 20% to over 42% last I checked... Problem is, he was put in a tough scenario. Had he played the entire pre-season with Calgary, he'd be with Glencross and whoever they want to plug into the RW that night; instead he's had a couple weeks to try and learn this relatively demanding Flames style of play.

I would rather have Joe between Glencross than Street; I'll say that much... that and you people need to stop drinking the cool-aid and developing your own opinions rather than CJing on this forum with fans of other teams...

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 05:59 PM
  #292
HighLifeMan
Registered User
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volica View Post
Unsure if you guys are watching the same hockey I am.
Like, him being soft, not using his body, speed...

He's been defensively strong, he was top 10 in the NHL in hits (Before this last game where he pretty much just sat it out), he had zip, he seemed offensively aware... he bumped his faceoff % from 20% to over 42% last I checked... Problem is, he was put in a tough scenario. Had he played the entire pre-season with Calgary, he'd be with Glencross and whoever they want to plug into the RW that night; instead he's had a couple weeks to try and learn this relatively demanding Flames style of play.

I would rather have Joe between Glencross than Street; I'll say that much... that and you people need to stop drinking the cool-aid and developing your own opinions rather than CJing on this forum with fans of other teams...
I agree.
I dont think he has been bad by any means, and should be getting more of an opportunity to show what he is indeed made of.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 06:04 PM
  #293
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,219
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volica View Post
Unsure if you guys are watching the same hockey I am.
Like, him being soft, not using his body, speed...

He's been defensively strong, he was top 10 in the NHL in hits (Before this last game where he pretty much just sat it out), he had zip, he seemed offensively aware... he bumped his faceoff % from 20% to over 42% last I checked... Problem is, he was put in a tough scenario. Had he played the entire pre-season with Calgary, he'd be with Glencross and whoever they want to plug into the RW that night; instead he's had a couple weeks to try and learn this relatively demanding Flames style of play.

I would rather have Joe between Glencross than Street; I'll say that much... that and you people need to stop drinking the cool-aid and developing your own opinions rather than CJing on this forum with fans of other teams...
So people that disagree with you = drinking the cool aid. Yep got it get our own opinion but only if it agrees with yours.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 06:15 PM
  #294
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volica View Post
Unsure if you guys are watching the same hockey I am.
Like, him being soft, not using his body, speed...

He's been defensively strong, he was top 10 in the NHL in hits (Before this last game where he pretty much just sat it out), he had zip, he seemed offensively aware... he bumped his faceoff % from 20% to over 42% last I checked... Problem is, he was put in a tough scenario. Had he played the entire pre-season with Calgary, he'd be with Glencross and whoever they want to plug into the RW that night; instead he's had a couple weeks to try and learn this relatively demanding Flames style of play.

I would rather have Joe between Glencross than Street; I'll say that much... that and you people need to stop drinking the cool-aid and developing your own opinions rather than CJing on this forum with fans of other teams...
I honestly don't ever recall seeing him on the ice really. I think guys need to put the magnifying lens down and just enjoy the game.

MarkGio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 06:20 PM
  #295
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs
 
Volica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,496
vCash: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
So people that disagree with you = drinking the cool aid. Yep got it get our own opinion but only if it agrees with yours.
Nah.
It's about forming your own opinions rather than listening to the Toronto fans that came down-talking him. Before he even played a game for the Flames, Flames people on this forum were already calling him a bust, useless, lazy and non-physical.

You honestly came off the worst out of everyone, I didn't want to say it, because I tend to pick on you a lot... It's like you weren't watching the same game as I was, or haven't been following the Flames at all this year. Maybe you just can't keep your eyes off Monahan even on the bench (that was a joke).

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 06:23 PM
  #296
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs
 
Volica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,496
vCash: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I honestly don't ever recall seeing him on the ice really. I think guys need to put the magnifying lens down and just enjoy the game.
Yeah.
I don't even bother watching hockey anymore. Just watch each individual player and write down notes so I can talk to it to a bunch of other clueless people like myself online.

Or it could be I've noticed that when that fourth line is out, there's been a lot of running and bumping. And have noticed that #8 has been involved in a lot of it.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 06:26 PM
  #297
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,219
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volica View Post
Nah.
It's about forming your own opinions rather than listening to the Toronto fans that came down-talking him. Before he even played a game for the Flames, Flames people on this forum were already calling him a bust, useless, lazy and non-physical.

You honestly came off the worst out of everyone, I didn't want to say it, because I tend to pick on you a lot... It's like you weren't watching the same game as I was, or haven't been following the Flames at all this year. Maybe you just can't keep your eyes off Monahan even on the bench (that was a joke).
Came off the worst? How I never thought bringing him was a bad idea but he has been weak on the puck and lost in the system alot. I think in a few months he will be much better but so far he has done nothing to prove himself better than Street. It seems that people that want to force him into the lineup are doing it because of his potential/draft pedigree and not what he has done as a Flames.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 06:36 PM
  #298
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Y'no like wadda guy
 
Anglesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,072
vCash: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volica View Post
Nah.
It's about forming your own opinions rather than listening to the Toronto fans that came down-talking him. Before he even played a game for the Flames, Flames people on this forum were already calling him a bust, useless, lazy and non-physical.
Maybe those people had watched him before he played for the Flames? Just saying...

Colborne has skated better each game, but he's been far from a difference-maker. I'm more than willing to cut him slack on account of being late to the party, but he does eventually need to justify the 4th round pick. I hope that he does.

Anglesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 12:25 AM
  #299
Demetric
Registered User
 
Demetric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Under a Rock
Country: Canada
Posts: 438
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglesmith View Post
Maybe those people had watched him before he played for the Flames? Just saying...

Colborne has skated better each game, but he's been far from a difference-maker. I'm more than willing to cut him slack on account of being late to the party, but he does eventually need to justify the 4th round pick. I hope that he does.
since when is a 4th round pick supposed to be a difference maker?

Demetric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 12:44 AM
  #300
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Y'no like wadda guy
 
Anglesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,072
vCash: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post
since when is a 4th round pick supposed to be a difference maker?
Since this guy:


Anglesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.