HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Fedun vs Potter. Who should be in Edmonton?

View Poll Results: Who should have the 6th D spot?
Fedun 123 73.65%
Potter 16 9.58%
Someone else(please say in comments) 20 11.98%
Too early for me to decide 8 4.79%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-22-2013, 10:57 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

vCash: 500
Fedun vs Potter. Who should be in Edmonton?

It's no secret I am not a Potter fan. I think he's a terrible D, even for his salary and if Renney didn't love the guy for inexplicable reasons he wouldn't have ever even made the NHL. Those giveaways last night where there wasn't even an Oiler close to where he threw the puck really sum up his game, imo.

Fedun on the other hand, is a favourite of mine. Plays well in all three zones, smart and looks like a real up and comer. He is coming off a 1g 3p night where he had 7 shots, was +2 and 1st star.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why Potter is playing here instead of Fedun. Is it because Potter has a one way deal and Katz wants to save some money? Or is Oilers management just completely blind about Potter and really thinks he's the best option? Or am I out to lunch and Potter is much better than I give him credit for?

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 10:58 AM
Beerfish

Fedun or Larsen or Klefbom or the neighbourhood cat instead of Potter.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 11:01 AM
SoftDumps

vCash: 50
Fedun, Klef, any run of the mill CHLer, me, my dog, a small child...anyone but Potter

SoftDumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Fedun, but I'm as bias as they come on this, because Potter's a high-end AHL defenseman and I'm a HUGE Fedun fan beyond his injury and story.

Honestly, Marincin should get a look here soon.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

We need some size back there IMO, but Potter brings that and not much else. I'd probably have Fedun instead of Potter even though he'll have a hard time with bigger forwards.

That said I expect us to see Larsen back in the lineup when he's healthy. He might do well in a 3rd pairing role.

11-22-2013, 11:09 AM
LTIR

vCash: 638
lets see if Potter gets A vote here.

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 11:10 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
We need some size back there IMO, but Potter brings that and not much else. I'd probably have Fedun instead of Potter even though he'll have a hard time with bigger forwards.

That said I expect us to see Larsen back in the lineup when he's healthy. He might do well in a 3rd pairing role.
I will always take Not Useless lack of size over size and uselessness.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 11:12 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post

I don't really buy the size thing to be honest bud. Most of our d-men are decently sized for the NHL

77 Anton Belov 6' 4" 218
21 Andrew Ference 5' 11" 187
36 Philip Larsen 6' 0" 182
2 Jeff Petry 6' 3" 195
44 Corey Potter 6' 3" 204
19 Justin Schultz 6' 2" 188
15 Nick Schultz 6' 1" 203

Ference and Larsen are the only ones under 6-1. Sure Fedun is smaller than Potter at 6-0, 190. But he's also a much better player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
lets see if Potter gets A vote here.
There are one or two vocal Potter supporters around here. Plus fans from other teams that want us to continue to suck will throw a few votes his way

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 11:15 AM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Larsen should stick, I was going to say Marincin too....

BoldNewLettuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Oilception

I think Marincin deserves a look no?

From what i hear he seems to be doing pretty well in OKC, and he never seems to get the chance on the call up.

Always been one of my favorite prospects

But ya Fedun > Potter

Oilception is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Rin

Grebeshkov >> Potter

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 11:23 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I will always take Not Useless lack of size over size and uselessness.
Same here but we need to add some size at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I don't really buy the size thing to be honest bud. Most of our d-men are decently sized for the NHL

77 Anton Belov 6' 4" 218
21 Andrew Ference 5' 11" 187
36 Philip Larsen 6' 0" 182
2 Jeff Petry 6' 3" 195
44 Corey Potter 6' 3" 204
19 Justin Schultz 6' 2" 188
15 Nick Schultz 6' 1" 203

Ference and Larsen are the only ones under 6-1. Sure Fedun is smaller than Potter at 6-0, 190. But he's also a much better player.

There are one or two vocal Potter supporters around here. Plus fans from other teams that want us to continue to suck will throw a few votes his way
How many of our D are 210lbs.? 200lbs? Justin Schultz might be a little tall by NHL standards but he isn't very heavy to move bodies in front of the net. The only guys that IMO have good size on our blueline are Belov and Petry. N. Schultz and Ference aren't big but they play their size and aren't easily outmuscled like guys like J. Schultz, Larsen and Fedun are.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 11:24 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
Grebeshkov >> Potter

Now that is just being downright mean Rin!

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 11:39 AM
Butane Fan

I thought Fedun was playing well. The glaring errors Potter has committed has lead to the gong show in our own end. he has done this 3 games in a row. Bring back Fedun

Butane Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 11:39 AM
Bushwick Bill

I really like Fedun as well. His maturity and how strong he is mentally has always stood out to me.

Bushwick Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 11:41 AM
backhandsauce

Did anyone see how skinny Marincin looked on Oil Change.

It looks as if he has no upper body strength at all. I have a hard time believing he could clear the crease in the show.

backhandsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 11:42 AM
LTIR

vCash: 638
Watched Fedun interview @ OKC when Bryz played the 2 games..
The guy is captain material.

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 11:44 AM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Well let me take a cut into this, I think are both good options but you have to put your foot down, no turning around, and pick one. Those are the breaks.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 11:50 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Maybe a little off topic but I think we need an upgrade on all the possible bottom 2...neither one of them are top 6 on a good team. I'd say Fedun is the best offensive of the bunch but I'd rather have a stay at home that can handle the heavy lifting (Potter isn't smart enough)..Probably what we need is another top 1 or 2 so it pushes our current guys down (good luck trying to land 1)...Schultz and Ference on the bottom 6 would be decent.

Top 1 - Top 2
Belov - Petry
Ference - J Schultz
N Schultz or a cheaper option.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
It's no secret I am not a Potter fan. I think he's a terrible D, even for his salary and if Renney didn't love the guy for inexplicable reasons he wouldn't have ever even made the NHL. Those giveaways last night where there wasn't even an Oiler close to where he threw the puck really sum up his game, imo.

Fedun on the other hand, is a favourite of mine. Plays well in all three zones, smart and looks like a real up and comer. He is coming off a 1g 3p night where he had 7 shots, was +2 and 1st star.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why Potter is playing here instead of Fedun. Is it because Potter has a one way deal and Katz wants to save some money? Or is Oilers management just completely blind about Potter and really thinks he's the best option? Or am I out to lunch and Potter is much better than I give him credit for?
Many posters have never seen Potter "good" so what's the point in arguing? For myself, he had a very good season last year. For many others, Potter could win the Norris, and there would still be posters here saying he isn't good enough to be in the NHL.

He is what he is - a 6/7 NHL dman, an experienced AHL dman. He can play the PP, the PK, whatever. But I like Fedun too so I have no problem with Fedun playing over Potter.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Potter is never going to be more than what he is now. A fringe NHLer. I think we should be giving Fedun a chance to show what he's got.
Send Potter and even Larsen down.

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Aerchon

LOL.

I am the only one who has picked Potter.

People love a great puck moving d-man because it is easy to see when they play well. People only notice a regular D-man when he makes a mistake.

Potter is an NHL #6 D-man.

He does make mistakes. Thus the #6 and not #1.

But Edmontonians love their small puck movers to the point of the absurd.

Potter is big, gritty, positionaly decent, decent skater, decent shot, decent penalty killer, decent passer, hell he can even run a decent PP.

The guy literally has no real weakness.

Petry last night made just as many bone headed moves as Potter last night and there is no should we have Fedun or Petry poll.

Not saying he was great last night, but he sure wasn't terrible, and it is no coincidence that since we have added him back in our line up our GA and shots have been significantly reduced. His numbers in OKC demanded he get called up.

He is a much better d-man than people on these boards are giving him credit for.

PS: I really like Fedun as well but Potters overall game puts Fedun's to shame right now. No one in their right mind should be thinking of changing this current line-up.

Last edited by Aerchon: 11-22-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 11:55 AM
misfit

I really liked Fedun's game all around in his last call-up, not just the goals (which were nice). If it were me, I'd have Fedun there instead, but I actually don't have any issues with how Potter has played in the handful of games he's appeared in this year.

JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
I feel Potter is just holding the fort until next year when Klefbom or Nurse will take his place, whoever plays better. Everyone else will likely be back, except Nick Schultz (who I wouldn't mind as a bottom-pairing defenseman paid like a bottom-pairing defenseman). I think they should use Potter's spot to audition a couple guys in the meantime, to see where our existing D prospects outside the big two are. Fedun and Marincin, as mentioned.

JoeCool16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Many posters have never seen Potter "good" so what's the point in arguing? For myself, he had a very good season last year. For many others, Potter could win the Norris, and there would still be posters here saying he isn't good enough to be in the NHL.

He is what he is - a 6/7 NHL dman, an experienced AHL dman. He can play the PP, the PK, whatever. But I like Fedun too so I have no problem with Fedun playing over Potter.
I agree. I like Potter because he can play in any situation. Ideally, neither are in the lineup, but Potter makes a better #7. If its in the #6 role, probably Fedun, but I'd rather give Klefa a shot for a couple games

Edit: so I really don't know how to vote