HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your Regular Season Starting Line up

Old
09-20-2013, 07:21 PM
King of the ES*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
You hate how many nice guy gentlemen the Canucks have but would have inserted Wellwood and Raymond into the lineup? Yikes.
I said many times that I'd rather have invested in Mason Raymond than Chris Higgins, absolutely.

Wellwood can play anywhere at ES, he's excellent on the PP, and he's excellent in the shootout. And even though he's "nice guy gentleman", he is fearless and he was routinely one of our best players in a high-pressure environment. He's the kind of guy that thrives when the spotlight is on him. His 47-point season in 2011-12 did not surprise me at all.

King of the ES* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 07:28 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle1 View Post
Same old crap. Insert some more youth. Gillis stated he would retool but really did not retool sweet fark all. He got a new coach. Its a start. Now get some damn youth in the lineup like you said you would Gillis. This lineup to me looks boring as hell. Get Gaunce in there and maybe Shink for a while to see how he does.
In Gillis' defense, the youth just is not that good.

Bo Horvat & Nick Jensen, two of our alleged "high-end" prospects, have shown absolutely nothing, Hunter Shinkaruk's had a couple of moments of promise, but he hasn't exactly "stood out", Brendan Gaunce has looked like he has the potential to step in as a bottom-six, low-risk, low-reward type C. At least he appears to be in the right spots, at the right times. But I wouldn't expect too much from him.

Basically, Gillis would be acting out of the team's best interests by gifting some spots to these guys who clearly aren't better than their veteran teammates.

Old
09-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
I said many times that I'd rather have invested in Mason Raymond than Chris Higgins, absolutely.

Wellwood can play anywhere at ES, he's excellent on the PP, and he's excellent in the shootout. And even though he's "nice guy gentleman", he is fearless and he was routinely one of our best players in a high-pressure environment. He's the kind of guy that thrives when the spotlight is on him. His 47-point season in 2011-12 did not surprise me at all.
But none of this changes the fact the most 'gentle, nice guy' Canucks in the last decade are Wellwood and Raymond.

Looks like even you aren't buying what you're selling...

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
In Gillis' defense, the youth just is not that good.
Corrado looks like a lock, Gaunce has impressed and Shinkaruk has been effective thus far and could earn a top 9 role. When you say the 'youth isn't that good', were you assuming 5 or 6 rookies would show they're ready to play in the NHL? A little optimistic wouldn't you say? Especially considering there are already 3 other sub 23 year olds that will probably be on the roster in Kassian, Schroeder and Tanev.

Old
09-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Tryampled
Registered Snoozer

Quote:

If Wellwood is so good, why is he in switzerland?

Raymond over Higgins?

Tryampled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Pip
#freeRodin

vCash: 50
Quote:

I would of loved to see this Wellwood in Vancouver, the one we had was not the player you described

Pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Bourne Endeavor

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post

Raymond over Higgins?
Raymond has two points already, whereas Higgins has zero. So what, Higgins hasn't played a game yet. Clearly Raymond is better.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:09 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
But none of this changes the fact the most 'gentle, nice guy' Canucks in the last decade are Wellwood and Raymond.

Looks like even you aren't buying what you're selling...
How would you describe the Sedin's?

Old
09-20-2013, 09:12 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:

Raymond over Higgins?
It's a good question, about Wellwood. Probably because he's about 5'9" and looks like he's 14. The guy had 47 points 2 seasons ago. Higgins had 43 in the same season and was rewarded with a 4-year, $10M contract with an LNTC. Doesn't make any sense, to me. The guy is a good hockey player and absolutely should be in the NHL.

Raymond over Higgins? Yep. Please mark my words on that one.

Old
09-20-2013, 09:19 PM
FlowMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Burrows View Post
What I'd like to see

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-Hansen
Booth-Schroeder-Higgins
Richardsson-Gaunce-Weise

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Garrison-Corrado

Lu
Lack
I like this the best.

FlowMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:35 PM
stevecanuck16

vCash: 614
Quote:
Describe the Sedin's what?

stevecanuck16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Shareefruck

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian
Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen
Gaunce - Richardson - Weise (I get the feeling Gaunce would be a better center than Richardson though)

Hamhuis - Corrado
Edler - Tanev
Garrison - Bieksa (shutdown)

Luongo
Lack

PP
Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Kesler - Garrison

Higgins - Schroeder - Burrows
Hamhuis - Edler

PK
Burrows - Kesler
Hansen - Gaunce
Sedin - Sedin

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Garrison - Tanev

Shootout:
Schroeder, Kesler, Burrows, Kassian, Higgins

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:50 PM
King of Anarchy

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Alex Burrows
Hunter Shinkaruk - Ryan Kesler - Zack Kassian
Chris Higgins - Brendan Gaunce - Jannik Hansen
Darren Archibald - Brad Richardson - Dale Weise

Dan Hamhuis - Frankie Corrado
Alex Edler - Chris Tanev
Jason Garrison - Kevin Bieksa

Roberto Luongo
Eddie Lack

I can't stomach a line up with Booth anymore, so I'm banking on him getting injured or Gillis doing something with him.

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:57 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
2 of the most productive forwards in the teams 41 plus year history and top 5 in the NHL in points over the last handful of years. That's how I describe them.

You can't replace the Sedins. You can however replace Raymond and Wellwood if you're looking to get grittier and don't want to take a big step back in terms of production.

Don't complain about losing Hodgson in favour of Kassian, Salo in favour of Garrison, Raymond in favour of Higgins and Wellwood while talking out of the other side of your mouth about wanting to be tougher to play against. I mean, you can, just don't expect to be taken seriously.

King of contradictions.

Old
09-20-2013, 11:01 PM
Castle1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post
Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Alex Burrows
Hunter Shinkaruk - Ryan Kesler - Zack Kassian
Chris Higgins - Brendan Gaunce - Jannik Hansen
Darren Archibald - Brad Richardson - Dale Weise

Dan Hamhuis - Frankie Corrado
Alex Edler - Chris Tanev
Jason Garrison - Kevin Bieksa

Roberto Luongo
Eddie Lack

I can't stomach a line up with Booth anymore, so I'm banking on him getting injured or Gillis doing something with him.
I actually kinda like this the best because it changes things up more. Watching the games won't be more of the same old stale crap. Although we could put Booth in for Weise until Booth's achilles both rip off his legs or his adams apple explodes or whatever.

Castle1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 10:13 AM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Don't complain about losing Hodgson in favour of Kassian, Salo in favour of Garrison, Raymond in favour of Higgins and Wellwood while talking out of the other side of your mouth about wanting to be tougher to play against. I mean, you can, just don't expect to be taken seriously.
As a consumer, I can complain about whatever I want, first off.

Second, neither Garrison nor Higgins are what I'd call particularly "hard to play against". They're every bit as gentlemanly as the guys they replaced, Salo & Raymond.

Old
09-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Second, neither Garrison nor Higgins are what I'd call particularly "hard to play against". They're every bit as gentlemanly as the guys they replaced, Salo & Raymond.
And you wonder why nobody takes anything you say seriously?

Old
09-21-2013, 11:28 AM
Kirk Mclean
The best there is...

I'm surprised there are so many people who would rather have Higgins that Raymond. Raymond is younger, more talented, faster, and kills penalties well. Neither of them have produced much of anything the last two playoffs, but neither has anyone else. Raymond has been effective in the playoffs before, you know, back when we actually used to score goals in the playoffs (3-4 years ago).

Not to mention when the season starts, Raymond could very well be making HALF of Higgins' salary...

Kirk Mclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
AV screwed him over.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Mclean View Post
I'm surprised there are so many people who would rather have Higgins that Raymond. Raymond is younger, more talented, faster, and kills penalties well. Neither of them have produced much of anything the last two playoffs, but neither has anyone else. Raymond has been effective in the playoffs before, you know, back when we actually used to score goals in the playoffs (3-4 years ago).

Not to mention when the season starts, Raymond could very well be making HALF of Higgins' salary...
Higgins is bigger, harder to play against and better defensively. He's also been more productive than Raymond at even strength. As a Canuck, Higgins had 17 even strength goals in 71 games his first season and was on pace for 20 even strength goals last season - 2nd most on the team. His ability to score goals 5 on 5 and play strong defensivly is what makes him valuable.

When you put their production in context with their minutes, Higgins has been much more impressive over the last couple years. All in all, they're pretty comparable in terms of impact.

Old
09-21-2013, 11:51 AM
King of the ES*

Quote:
And you wonder why nobody takes anything you say seriously?
Garrison and Higgins aren't in-your-face, gritty, physical, punishing players to play against, at all.

Just because they may be slightly moreso in those departments than Salo & Raymond, debatable in the Garrison/Salo case, doesn't mean that it's something that should be trumpeted. Your argument is like calling Hunter Shinkaruk a huge upgrade in size to Jordan Schroeder.

Old
09-21-2013, 12:03 PM
Max Kellerman
dim jim

vCash: 50
Quote:
2nd or 3rd line. He can play at wing or at C. I would've rather signed him than Richardson, anyway, without a doubt.
No room for him on either line.

Max Kellerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 12:07 PM
CP
Thou shalt not Tank

If I had my druthers, they'd play with a kid line.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Gaunce Kesler Hansen
Shinkaruk Horvat Kassian
Booth Ricardson Higgins

But I think I have to wait till next year.

CP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 12:22 PM
SgtToody

Forget this year's edition - I'm liking next year's: Burrows, Stastny, Stajin
Booth, Kesler (on IR), Gaunce, Jensen
Higgins, Jake Virtanen (thanks to the 6th worst record in 2013-14), Shinkaruk
Scott, Richardson, Kassian

Credit to new GM Steve Tambellini...

SgtToody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 12:25 PM
SgtToody

Quote:
Corrado looks like a lock, Gaunce has impressed and Shinkaruk has been effective thus far and could earn a top 9 role. When you say the 'youth isn't that good', were you assuming 5 or 6 rookies would show they're ready to play in the NHL? A little optimistic wouldn't you say? Especially considering there are already 3 other sub 23 year olds that will probably be on the roster in Kassian, Schroeder and Tanev.
Corrado continues to look like the real deal; making Gillis decision to not to deal Edler and convert his cap into an offensive forward/another prospect like another trademark 'non-winner'...

SgtToody is offline   Reply With Quote