HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers sign Ryan Nugent-Hopkins to extension [7 years/$6 million AAV] ‎

Old
09-20-2013, 04:44 PM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
True, but I was just replying to the hypothetical I was given

For what it's worth, I think this extension may be a bit of an overpayment for the first season or two after it goes into effect, but it will be, at worst, a market-value deal soon enough. Hopefully for the Oil it looks like a bargain by 2016 or so.

And you mean to tell me a teenager needs his body to fill out? Haha, no ****?

He'll be fine.
I totally agree. At the moment he isn't that proven so six million is pushing it, but like most first overalls he has the potential to make it at least a fair price soon enough.

Ok deal.

Ps. Nice positive post. Always tends to get a bit too negative around here.

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Polaris GTFO my comp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
It is an opinion, it can not be proved. However I would be interested in seeing a poll between the two. I would also be interesting in hearing what NHL coaches and scouts would say when comparing them. My guess is, the consensus answer would be RNH is currently and will continue to be the better player.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1500847

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 04:53 PM
commie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Just my $.02, but maybe the Oilers are thinking the cap is going to increase significantly and they are locking up their guys when the "bar" is srt artificially low?
Exactly, don't people realize that RNH is still being paid $3.7M this year. The $6M doesn't start till next year.

What do you want the Oilers to do?
- Sign RNH to a 3.7M or less contract? (no way in hell a #1 overall player takes a pay cut now adays)
- Give him a bridge contract with a small raise? (what is the point of pissing off the player, and offer a $4-5 mill 2 year contract.)
When RNH have a 70+ point season over the next 2 years, he will want more than $6, probably 7-8mill.

The Oilers will need as much cap space as possible in 2-3 years when they are contending and need to bring in the hire guns for the playoff drive. What would be a better situation for the Oilers, having RNH at $6m or RNH at $8m?
That logic also applies to Hall and Eberle, having them at $6 is way better than them at $7-8 million in 2-3 years.

They don't need the cap space this year or next, but in 2-3 years all those $6M contracts will be what allows the team to bring in the hired guns.
Ask Montreal in a couple of years, when PK signs for $7-8m and they don't have the $2m cap space to bring in another player for their playoff drive. When they could've tied up PK long term at $6m.

commie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 05:47 PM
SDig14

55 points in 70 games is my guess, then a 70+ point year in his first year of this deal.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 05:55 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
you think Kardi at age 20 was better than RNH at age 20?

you think RNH will have issues becoming a PPG player in the NHL down the road especially with all the offensive talent around him?

You think Kardi is a 90+pt player
wow okay, first off i never said Kadri at 20 is better than RNH now, i dont think its rediculous to think that a thin kid will have problems staying healthy when he's hurt his shoulder twice already, and i have no idea where the third sentence is coming from, neither RNH or Kadri are 70 point players yet

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 05:58 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
Two Questions:

How long have you felt that Kadri is better than RNH?

How long do you think Kadri will continue to be better than RNH?
Great questions, i think RNH was better before Kadri broke out last year, and i do think that RNH will be the better player in the future. Im not sure how long it will take but i've been against RNH being in the NHL not because of his mind or skill but because he's a thin guy who has had trouble playing with the big players the NHL has. I never said RNH couldnt become a great player, i'm just concerned about his health thats all

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 06:02 PM
MikeModano9

Nuge has never had troubles with the physicality in the NHL where are people getting that from? He's never been pushed around and if anyone can actually hit him he usually absorbs it quite well. People really need to stop making opinions on players they've neve watched.

MikeModano9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 06:13 PM
Magnifique

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by commie View Post
Exactly, don't people realize that RNH is still being paid $3.7M this year. The $6M doesn't start till next year.

What do you want the Oilers to do?
- Sign RNH to a 3.7M or less contract? (no way in hell a #1 overall player takes a pay cut now adays)
- Give him a bridge contract with a small raise? (what is the point of pissing off the player, and offer a $4-5 mill 2 year contract.)
When RNH have a 70+ point season over the next 2 years, he will want more than $6, probably 7-8mill.

The Oilers will need as much cap space as possible in 2-3 years when they are contending and need to bring in the hire guns for the playoff drive. What would be a better situation for the Oilers, having RNH at $6m or RNH at $8m?
That logic also applies to Hall and Eberle, having them at $6 is way better than them at $7-8 million in 2-3 years.

They don't need the cap space this year or next, but in 2-3 years all those $6M contracts will be what allows the team to bring in the hired guns.
Ask Montreal in a couple of years, when PK signs for $7-8m and they don't have the $2m cap space to bring in another player for their playoff drive. When they could've tied up PK long term at $6m.
If they are contending -IF.

It's an overpayment now, but the cap is going to go up and in time it will be fair.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 06:16 PM
AlanHUK

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubrus Coffee Maker View Post
i've been against RNH being in the NHL not because of his mind or skill but because he's a thin guy who has had trouble playing with the big players the NHL has. I never said RNH couldnt become a great player, i'm just concerned about his health thats all
he played the toughest competition of all Oilers and came out a plus player and the Oilers also outshot the opposition while he was on the ice.

Clearly he has trouble with the big players in the NHL

AlanHUK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 06:18 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
55 points in 70 games is my guess, then a 70+ point year in his first year of this deal.
I say 62... 14 goals 48 assists... like you though 70+ next year

2013-14

Hall: 38-35-73
RNH: 14-48-62
Eberle: 28-42-70

2014-15

Hall: 44-44-88
RNH: 18-54-72
Eberle: 32-48-80

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 06:23 PM
KPower

Love the signing, will be a steal for the last 3 or 4 years when RNH is a top 10 scorer.

KPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Subbanned

Quote:
Great questions, i think RNH was better before Kadri broke out last year, and i do think that RNH will be the better player in the future. Im not sure how long it will take but i've been against RNH being in the NHL not because of his mind or skill but because he's a thin guy who has had trouble playing with the big players the NHL has. I never said RNH couldnt become a great player, i'm just concerned about his health thats all
I think Kadri is the better player right now. RNH definitely has the potential to be better in the future, but as of this moment that is just potential.

Subbanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 06:42 PM
KMart27

Every long term contract has risk. Any player can be injured or perform below expectations. This contract is worth the risk. If he becomes the 80+ point player he has the potential to, it's a great deal. Even if he is around 65-70, 6 million is pretty reasonable.

KMart27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 06:47 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post
Also, let's set the record straight: it is injury, not injuries. The same shoulder problem he has had since junior, so it is not even an injury he got in the NHL per se. People trying to pretend he is injury prone makes me really dismiss their opinion.
Oh man...You actually just made the case for why RNH should be considered injury prone

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 06:56 PM
Toydarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Oh man...You actually just made the case for why RNH should be considered injury prone
The way the poster you quoted incorrectly described the history of RNH's injury.

From what RNH and team doctors have indicated, RNH first injured his shoulder when he played junior. Since then (i.e. in the NHL) RNH has re-aggravated the injury a few times. Nevertheless, the injury was never addressed and 'fixed' prior to his surgery. By all accounts, RNH's recent surgery has fixed the initial injury that was being aggravated.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 06:58 PM
FlyingV

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Why because he's had one injury that hasn't ever been properly rehabbed? Not to mention a shoulder injury, one of the least likely to cause major problems in this sport.

FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 07:04 PM
xlnc66

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=7t29tRMyxUg

And Brenden Morrow weighs 210 lbs.

xlnc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 07:05 PM
Ewan McGregor

vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Kadri scored 2 goals last year?
Gonna need the nearest burn center

Ewan McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:08 PM
commie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnifique View Post
If they are contending -IF.

It's an overpayment now, but the cap is going to go up and in time it will be fair.
Shouldn't every team plan their team and salary cap based on the fact that they want to be contending? And with the way the Oilers have been rebuilding, it is not shocking or wrong to be planning a salary cap structure that would be best to meet their needs in 2-3 years time and not focus on now?

Right now, RNH is still at a 3.77M cap hit, by the time next year comes around and he is at $6M, it may not be an overpayment.

commie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:12 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
There's nothing wrong with Kardi's statement. Not even sure why it's posted here.
He said the Oilers don't believe in bridge contracts which is wrong considering they've given them out recently to multiple players. 1st overall picks are handled different, I don't see what's so hard to understand.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:33 PM
nightfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
He said the Oilers don't believe in bridge contracts which is wrong considering they've given them out recently to multiple players. 1st overall picks are handled different, I don't see what's so hard to understand.
Kadri is really more comparable to Sam Gagner anyways.

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
The way the poster you quoted incorrectly described the history of RNH's injury.

From what RNH and team doctors have indicated, RNH first injured his shoulder when he played junior. Since then (i.e. in the NHL) RNH has re-aggravated the injury a few times. Nevertheless, the injury was never addressed and 'fixed' prior to his surgery. By all accounts, RNH's recent surgery has fixed the initial injury that was being aggravated.
By that account, you wouldn't call that injury prone unless he re-injures the shoulder after allowing it to fully heal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingV View Post
Why because he's had one injury that hasn't ever been properly rehabbed? Not to mention a shoulder injury, one of the least likely to cause major problems in this sport.
You must have done some MAJOR reading between the lines if that's what you got from roboninja's post that I responded to. In no way does roboninja's post debunk the idea of RNH being injury prone. The comment actually supports the idea that he is which is why I found funny.

Old
09-20-2013, 08:48 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Lighten up. His comment was made in jest after all the hoopla surrounding his contract talks and the Leafs refusing to give him anything more than a bridge contract.

Old
09-20-2013, 09:53 PM
Hockey Trades

Hey I'm an Oilers fan and I don't like paying for potential. I wasn't thrilled when I heard about this premature signing. But in the end, it will be a good one. He was picked first overall so the risk is very minimal.

Hockey Trades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 10:32 PM
SDig14

There are 3 types of signings. Those based solely on potential, those based on proven stats, and a combination of both.

All long term deals have risks, that's pretty obvious.

Does this deal have some risk? Sure. RNH is also a 1st overall pick with incredible talent, and as a rookie he displayed it until a freak injury.

If he gets hurt or doesn't live up to it, it will hurt a bit, but the oilers are clearly all in with the young stars they have in their prime.

For me, I'd rather give him a deal like that that takes him to 28 years old, same as Hall, Eberle and Yak because those are all their prime years based on history.

On the flip side, a team like Anaheim paid Perry and Getzlaf for what they've done already, which is just as risky IMO as those guys are going to decline in the later years.

But just like the oilers, the ducks didn't have much choice. Those 2 are their core that brought a cup to Anaheim and still have quite a few good years left, and the oilers are all in on the next 8-10 years.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote