HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Pocklington going to jail

Old
09-20-2013, 06:04 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

vCash: 500
Pocklington going to jail

Former owner of the Edmonton Oilers and the man who orchestrated the Gretzky trade going to jail.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...time-1.1862204

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Still causing trouble for people, still in trouble with the law.... what can you say really?

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:01 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 150
They're allowing him to "report to prison."

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:22 PM
Big Phil

"Never kick a man when he's down, never kick a man when he's down.............."

Then again, he sold the greatest player who ever lived for selfish reasons, ended a dynasty, tore a city apart where it still hasn't recovered and is the reason why there is a team in the middle of the desert in Phoenix because apparently hockey could "sell" anywhere.

Throw the book at him. 25 years later I still can't stand to look at him.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
"Never kick a man when he's down, never kick a man when he's down.............."

Then again, he sold the greatest player who ever lived for selfish reasons, ended a dynasty, tore a city apart where it still hasn't recovered and is the reason why there is a team in the middle of the desert in Phoenix because apparently hockey could "sell" anywhere.

We all live for selfish reasons...why single Gretzky out?

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
He's not singling Gretzky out: He's singling that crook Pocklington out.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:06 PM
eastcoaster

Peter Pocklington, Bruce McNall and Nelson Skalbania. Gretzky got to play for some sleazy owners.

eastcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:38 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoaster View Post
Peter Pocklington, Bruce McNall and Nelson Skalbania. Gretzky got to play for some sleazy owners.
Ya, and then the NHL itself essentially hangs him out to dry in Phoenix in refusing to acknowledge him as a creditor to the Moyes Bankruptcy. Owed over $6M in deferred salary. Regardless how one might feel about Gretzky getting millions to Coach, more than anyone else in any other sport, a Contracts a Contracts a Contract. No, he's not hurting for cash, owes all that he's got to hockey, but business is business and it behooved the NHL to look after his outstanding creditor status. Couldve been easily done, stroke of a pen. Instead, completely alienated him for some time and in fact Im still not sure if he's prepared to forgive & forget it.

Old
09-21-2013, 12:20 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Sorry. Bad joke

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 04:54 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
Former owner of the Edmonton Oilers and the man who orchestrated the Gretzky trade going to jail.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...time-1.1862204
Most people with big money have done it dis-honest. I've done things myself, had to the big money was just too tempting. Not on his scale of course. Him and ones like McNall are the few who get caught.

BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 08:48 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
You and me both. I was only in junior high when I saw it on the news, and I still remember associating being traded with being "bad" (performance or behaviour), and thinking this Pocklington guy must be such a complete idiot. Then I remember being scared that Gretzky was going to knock off my Habs in '93, and I remember hating him even more, lol. All these years later, with all that I know, I still get a bit angry when I see his face.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 12:20 PM
reckoning

Trading Gretzky was a slap in the face to Edmonton hockey fans, but it's a minor transgression compared to the criminal acts he's committed. Declaring bankruptcy to avoid paying investors and creditors, while still having a small fortune hid away is stooping pretty low. Unfortunately, this sentence does nothing to help the people he swindled recoup their losses.

I can't take any joy in seeing a 71 year-old man go to prison, but he has no one to blame but himself.

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 12:33 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
Declaring bankruptcy to avoid paying investors and creditors, while still having a small fortune hid away is stooping pretty low.
Indeed. Unconscionable really. I had to laugh rather sardonically reading that investors comment who was out tens of thousands of dollars that "6 months is a long-time; time to think about how he's screwed people" (words to that affect).... Im afraid not. Peter Puck could care less who he's screwed, who he's hurt. Doesnt even cross his mind & if it does, that type generally rationalizes it by demonizing his creditors; that they somehow deserved it, were foolish or greedy, unworthy of repayment in some way shape or form. Law of the jungle, the gutter. Lots of people like that walking the streets. I dont actually condemn him for essentially selling Gretzky to McNall, a chip he needed to cash in in order to survive, its all the other "stuff" he pulled over the years thats the real problem. Hurt a lot of people.

Old
09-21-2013, 12:50 PM
leeaf83
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Chris Butler View Post
They're allowing him to "report to prison."
Not to defend the guy but the reason for it is he is recovering from colon surgery [insert your own prison joke here] and will be under house arrest until then (which is part of his sentence)

Interesting the first men to pay gretzky to play in the NHL will have done time.

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Most people with big money have done it dis-honest. I've done things myself, had to the big money was just too tempting. Not on his scale of course. Him and ones like McNall are the few who get caught.
That's a rather misanthropic way of looking at it.

Old
09-21-2013, 02:03 PM
nutbar

My favorite Pocklington story goes back to when he was running for the Conservative leadership in 1983. He was in PEI and was meeting the local politicians and officials. Somebody asked him a question.

"Hmm, that's a very good question, sir, and what is your name?" asked Pocklington.

"Jim Lee" said the man.

"And what is it that you do?"

"I'm the Premier."

nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 02:48 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

... and of course the story of how Gretzky wound up in Edmonton at all. According to then Oilers GM Jack Gordon, transpired through a Backgammon Game between Peter Pocklington & Nelson Skalbania on the formers private jet. Skalbania had actually formed & started the Oilers however he brought in Pocklington who bought him out, Nelson there resurfacing in Indianapolis with the Racers. WHA hockey didnt exactly take off like a rocket in Indy & he had an onerous lease agreement with Market Square Arena (since demolished).

In dire straights financially by the fall of 78 having signed Gretzky just the summer before to a personal services & playing contract at just 17. Hanging on by his fingernails, missing payroll etc. Long story short like many before him Nelson decided to sell-off player assets, offering Gretzky to both Michael Gobuty of Winnipeg & to Pocklington but with the proviso that more be at stake than just the player, including cash, and that this entire deal be predicated on a frikin game of Backgammon. Gobuty refused as it was beyond convoluted what with the personal services contract, then still serious questions as to whether or not Gretzky would ever fulfill his promise as he was the antithesis of what youd call a solid hockey player at that time, and never mind the idiocy of predicating such a thing on a game & gambling. Dont think so... then there was Gretzky himself. Lightweight, 17yrs old, who knew what he'd become? Oh sure, all kinds of promise but thats a bit of a risk given the 1st round cant miss busts that anyone in hockey would be more than cognizant of.

.... Pocklington takes Skalbania up on it though, total gambler that he is, putting up artwork & cash ($850,000) and plays, Gordon on the plane witnessing it, obviously cheering on Peter Puck who at worst might lose some artwork, bit of cash. Pocklington wins of course, Skalbania giving up Gretzky & 2 other players, receiving the $850K which short-term got the rest of the team & Coaching staff paid.... Amalgamation was on the way and Indianapolis certainly wasnt going to be part of it, while Edmonton, Winnipeg, Quebec & Hartford all very likely & in fact in the early 70's Edmonton rumored to be on the NHL's radar via Relocation of one of its then floundering clubs.... the Racers folded, Gretzky only having played 8 games for them, Skalbania moving on to broker the deal that brought the Flames to Calgary, he too winding up before the Bench and in the joint at various times over his checkered career in various sectors.

Last edited by Killion: 09-21-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old
09-21-2013, 03:26 PM
BrimStone64

Quote:
That's a rather misanthropic way of looking at it.
Well, it's the truth. Society today is largely corrupt. There's more Bernie Madoffs, Pocklingtons and Bruce McNalls out there than honest guys. Not just saying about the big boys...majority of Canadians will cheap on their tax returns. Our politicians are corrupt, expense scandals to vote buying. The odd Pam Walling or John Crosby will get caught, but majority will not.

Old
09-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Well, it's the truth. Society today is largely corrupt. There's more Bernie Madoffs, Pocklingtons and Bruce McNalls out there than honest guys. Not just saying about the big boys...majority of Canadians will cheap on their tax returns. Our politicians are corrupt, expense scandals to vote buying. The odd Pam Walling or John Crosby will get caught, but majority will not.
Rather pessimistic and negative are we?

Old
09-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Yes please, for the record I, Big Phil, am knocking Peter Pocklington , not the Great One.

You know, seeing that documentary "Kings Ransom" I couldn't stand the arrogance of Pocklington. Saying things like if people were in his position financially they probably would have done the same thing. Pocklington hits a pocket of anger normally associated with child murderers with me.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Guess what? That's nothing new.

Was watching Soylent Green last weekend. When Edward G. Robinson's character starts talking about the time before American society's collapse, Charlton Heston's character says, "yeah, I know. People were better back then."

EGR says, "No, people were always lousy. But the world was better."

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 12:10 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
Trading Gretzky was a slap in the face to Edmonton hockey fans, but it's a minor transgression compared to the criminal acts he's committed. Declaring bankruptcy to avoid paying investors and creditors, while still having a small fortune hid away is stooping pretty low. Unfortunately, this sentence does nothing to help the people he swindled recoup their losses.

I can't take any joy in seeing a 71 year-old man go to prison, but he has no one to blame but himself.
Indeed, it is amusing that the Gretzky sale, something Pocklington was well within his legal right to do, is the reason most people will be smiling at the idea of him wearing an orange jumpsuit.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 12:36 AM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Indeed, it is amusing that the Gretzky sale, something Pocklington was well within his legal right to do, is the reason most people will be smiling at the idea of him wearing an orange jumpsuit.
Sports fans generally deplore the idea of selling players for cash: That's why the NFL banned it decades ago.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:32 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
Guess what? That's nothing new.

Was watching Soylent Green last weekend. When Edward G. Robinson's character starts talking about the time before American society's collapse, Charlton Heston's character says, "yeah, I know. People were better back then."

EGR says, "No, people were always lousy. But the world was better."
Well, you hear about it more today. Not just our politicians or income tax evasion or business deals. It's in sport...Lance Armstrong, A-Rod, to Olympic voting buying in Salt Lake City scandal. To next door....Last year one of my neighbors was caught ripping off CIBC 8 million dollars in a bank fraud scheme. The funny part is he wouldn't have got caught if he never went bankrupt.

The vast majority never get caught. Once in awhile they will slip up but it is not the norm.