HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Morgan Rielly Looks Ready

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-29-2013, 07:20 AM
  #626
hullsy47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusForever View Post
^ranger?
reilly is better than ranger ,and sees the ice better than gardiner ,,,,on merit he made this club ....once hes gone a big back en weapon leaves us till maybe MAY i say keep him for 9 games

hullsy47 is offline  
Old
09-29-2013, 07:26 AM
  #627
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,925
vCash: 100
Don't compare Schenn and Rielly...two completely different scenarios (team sucked vs. team is good, defensive D vs. an all round D).

If Rielly makes the team, it's because he's ready and the Leafs at least want to give him 9 games before making sure that the decision was the best for the team and Rielly...

If he doesn't, it means that the teams have enough NHL defenseman and feel that Rielly can still benefit from playing in the WHL and WJC and come back next year and essentially be guaranteed a spot in the TOP 4.

Pi is offline  
Old
09-29-2013, 07:29 AM
  #628
Sundinisagod
@snizzbone
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 7,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Give him the 9 games and then see where he's at.

Otherwise, I'd prefer to keep him around. I think he'll learn more at the NHL level than if he does another go-around in Moose Jaw. There is no need to play him every night. Play him 50-60 games instead of 80. Let him go to the World Juniors in December. And try to shelter him when he does play. Ease him into the NHL game, there's no rush.
I'm with you 100%. To me, Rielly's development is best served being eased into the NHL now. He also improves our defense core, so it's a no brainer for me. Don't wanna send him back down to a weak jr team.

Sundinisagod is offline  
Old
09-29-2013, 07:33 AM
  #629
MJ65
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 630
vCash: 500
Rielly should be on 2nd PP unit and should play 15+ minutes every night

Go leafs Go

MJ65 is offline  
Old
09-29-2013, 07:38 AM
  #630
Nithoniniel
Registered User
 
Nithoniniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Skövde, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,939
vCash: 500
I'd like to see Rielly in the third pairing, getting sheltered minutes 5v5 and time on the 2nd PP unit. This will give him the chance to ease into the NHL game, Toronto can use his skillset on the 2nd unit AND if we are down in third, he can be played more giving Toronto another offensive weapon if we need to chase a goal, which would probably benefit Rielly too.

Nithoniniel is offline  
Old
09-29-2013, 07:44 AM
  #631
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,977
vCash: 500
Was really impressed with Rielly. Don't get me wrong he has impressed throughout this whole training camp but last night he looked really good, maybe that had to do with Detroit dressing their B team but still he made some awesome decisions both defensively and when he had the puck. It's amazing he's only 19 years old. He is going to be a star.

I'm also really sick of people saying he's small..Rielly isn't small, just because he's a puck moving d-man doesn't mean he should be automatically labelled as a small player. He's 6 ft 1 and 210 pounds, that ain't small folks.

Stats01 is offline  
Old
09-29-2013, 07:47 AM
  #632
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
I'm with you 100%. To me, Rielly's development is best served being eased into the NHL now. He also improves our defense core, so it's a no brainer for me. Don't wanna send him back down to a weak jr team.
I was on the "send him back to junior" train but after last night I changed my mind. He's ready, he just needs to be eased into it a bit. He won't play the full schedule because you don't want him to burn out but there is no point in sending him down to the juniors when he clearly has NHL skills right now. He's done nothing but impress in this training camp, might as well keep him for the 9 games at least.

Stats01 is offline  
Old
09-29-2013, 07:48 AM
  #633
MJ65
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
reilly is better than ranger ,and sees the ice better than gardiner ,,,,on merit he made this club ....once hes gone a big back en weapon leaves us till maybe MAY i say keep him for 9 games
They are two different players - Rielly is a very good player, but comparing him and ranger is very childish

Rielly is offensively gifted but ranger play more of a balanced style

MJ65 is offline  
Old
09-29-2013, 07:51 AM
  #634
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
reilly is better than ranger ,and sees the ice better than gardiner ,,,,on merit he made this club ....once hes gone a big back en weapon leaves us till maybe MAY i say keep him for 9 games
Rielly sees the ice better probably better then most of our D-men..and that's saying something. His poise for his age is outstanding. He has the patience of a 10-year vet, and his first pass I've noticed is usually tape to tape, so happy to have him in the Leafs organization.

Stats01 is offline  
Old
09-29-2013, 07:52 AM
  #635
Nithoniniel
Registered User
 
Nithoniniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Skövde, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Was really impressed with Rielly. Don't get me wrong he has impressed throughout this whole training camp but last night he looked really good, maybe that had to do with Detroit dressing their B team but still he made some awesome decisions both defensively and when he had the puck. It's amazing he's only 19 years old. He is going to be a star.

I'm also really sick of people saying he's small..Rielly isn't small, just because he's a puck moving d-man doesn't mean he should be automatically labelled as a small player. He's 6 ft 1 and 210 pounds, that ain't small folks.
He definitely had a good game. I think he outplayed Liles, despite the latter's goal. I felt comfortable with him in the defensive zone all game long.

Nithoniniel is offline  
Old
09-29-2013, 10:03 AM
  #636
varano
Registered User
 
varano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 500
vCash: 500
Toronto needs to play this kid with the big club. What a beauty

varano is offline  
Old
09-29-2013, 10:10 AM
  #637
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,525
vCash: 500
If Toronto waives Liles, then Rielly plays.

Not a tough decision, no one is going to pick up Liles.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline  
Old
09-29-2013, 10:34 AM
  #638
naturalnumbas
Registered User
 
naturalnumbas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Don't compare Schenn and Rielly...two completely different scenarios (team sucked vs. team is good, defensive D vs. an all round D).

If Rielly makes the team, it's because he's ready and the Leafs at least want to give him 9 games before making sure that the decision was the best for the team and Rielly...

If he doesn't, it means that the teams have enough NHL defenseman and feel that Rielly can still benefit from playing in the WHL and WJC and come back next year and essentially be guaranteed a spot in the TOP 4.
There is a similarity in that if he comes in with high expectations on him, and shows promise but takes a while (3+ seasons) to develop he will likely be dragged through the mud all across the city... I'm happy with the return we got on Schenn but we basically had to get him out of here.

I'm also thrilled with how Rielly has looked in preseason, but it is still not enough to say he's better than some of the vet guys who are probably not using the preseason as a tryout. Tough call, I'd give him the 9 games but prob back to junior and then at least one year of AHL.

naturalnumbas is offline  
Old
09-29-2013, 10:42 AM
  #639
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalnumbas View Post
There is a similarity in that if he comes in with high expectations on him, and shows promise but takes a while (3+ seasons) to develop he will likely be dragged through the mud all across the city... I'm happy with the return we got on Schenn but we basically had to get him out of here.

I'm also thrilled with how Rielly has looked in preseason, but it is still not enough to say he's better than some of the vet guys who are probably not using the preseason as a tryout. Tough call, I'd give him the 9 games but prob back to junior and then at least one year of AHL.
The difference is Luke Schenn never had the tools to justify the expectations or deliver anything that merited the "generational defensive defenseman" misnomer people placed on him. He plays a dumb brand of hockey dumb people mistake for high impact. Rielly on the other hand is very smart and skilled and way better suited to the NHL game. Different animal altogether.

Stephen is offline  
Old
09-29-2013, 10:47 AM
  #640
Gutchecktime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalnumbas View Post
There is a similarity in that if he comes in with high expectations on him, and shows promise but takes a while (3+ seasons) to develop he will likely be dragged through the mud all across the city... I'm happy with the return we got on Schenn but we basically had to get him out of here.

I'm also thrilled with how Rielly has looked in preseason, but it is still not enough to say he's better than some of the vet guys who are probably not using the preseason as a tryout. Tough call, I'd give him the 9 games but prob back to junior and then at least one year of AHL.
I just don't know why people figure this is necessary at all. It just plain doesn't happen with defensemen that are this highly touted. It just doesn't. This is pretty much every defenseman drafted since 2005 in the top half of the first round that's made it...

NHL at 18:
Bogosian (3rd), Schenn (5th), Doughty (2nd), Pietrangelo (4th), Larsson (4th), Jones (4th), Fowler (12th), Kulikov (14th), Hedman (2nd)
NHL at 19:
E. Johnson (1st), Gudbranson (3rd), Hamilton (9th), Brodin (10th), Myers (12th), Karlsson (15th)
NHL at 20 or older:
J. Johnson (3rd), Pietrangelo (4th), Cowen (9th)
NHL at 21 or older:
Hickey (4th), Alzner (5th)

And keep in mind that Trouba, Lindholm, and Dumba are all still in their camps and will possibly crack that "NHL at 19" list.

You're suggesting to send him back to the WHL this year and then have him spend "at least" another year at the AHL level but this really just isn't logical at all, IMO.

Gutchecktime is offline  
Old
09-29-2013, 10:52 AM
  #641
zeke
#TeamReimer
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 27,970
vCash: 500
Rielly not making the NHL full time until age 21 would be a huge dissappointment.

(and flat out stupid)

zeke is offline  
Old
09-29-2013, 11:00 AM
  #642
naturalnumbas
Registered User
 
naturalnumbas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
I just don't know why people figure this is necessary at all. It just plain doesn't happen with defensemen that are this highly touted. It just doesn't. This is pretty much every defenseman drafted since 2005 in the top half of the first round that's made it...

NHL at 18:
Bogosian (3rd), Schenn (5th), Doughty (2nd), Pietrangelo (4th), Larsson (4th), Jones (4th), Fowler (12th), Kulikov (14th), Hedman (2nd)
NHL at 19:
E. Johnson (1st), Gudbranson (3rd), Hamilton (9th), Brodin (10th), Myers (12th), Karlsson (15th)
NHL at 20 or older:
J. Johnson (3rd), Pietrangelo (4th), Cowen (9th)
NHL at 21 or older:
Hickey (4th), Alzner (5th)

And keep in mind that Trouba, Lindholm, and Dumba are all still in their camps and will possibly crack that "NHL at 19" list.

You're suggesting to send him back to the WHL this year and then have him spend "at least" another year at the AHL level but this really just isn't logical at all, IMO.
Right, I meant AHL/NHL as a callup, 'at least' since I can't predict how he will perform/develop...

What I am concerned about is our media, not sure the players on that list really had to worry about it so much, with the exception of Schenn. Truth is he should be in the AHL this season, but that can't happen. So we put him in the NHL this season.. ok we can protect him and ease him in.. what about next year? Do we continue protecting and easing him in if he isn't ready? The season after that? How long until he starts getting asked why he isn't better after every game he plays?

Great prospect, just don't want to throw him to the wolves. We'll see in the 9 games but I don't think he's NHL ready just yet.

naturalnumbas is offline  
Old
09-29-2013, 11:02 AM
  #643
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalnumbas View Post
Great prospect, just don't want to throw him to the wolves. We'll see in the 9 games but I don't think he's NHL ready just yet.
Having a contributing member of the big club who is learning on the job is more important than having a nice prospect stashed somewhere in juniors.

Stephen is offline  
Old
09-29-2013, 11:52 AM
  #644
BiggestLeafsFanEVER*
GO LEAFS GO
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Having a contributing member of the big club who is learning on the job is more important than having a nice prospect stashed somewhere in juniors.
But that's only if he's actually playing. Carlyle's comment that he'll only play about 50-55 games is just stupid. If that's the plan, I'd rather he play in junior.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER* is offline  
Old
09-29-2013, 11:53 AM
  #645
Gutchecktime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggestLeafsFanEVER View Post
But that's only if he's actually playing. Carlyle's comment that he'll only play about 50-55 games is just stupid. If that's the plan, I'd rather he play in junior.
Did he say 50-55 games? I thought he said something about "He doesn't have to play every night" but I don't recall this being said at all.

Gutchecktime is offline  
Old
09-29-2013, 11:54 AM
  #646
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggestLeafsFanEVER View Post
But that's only if he's actually playing. Carlyle's comment that he'll only play about 50-55 games is just stupid. If that's the plan, I'd rather he play in junior.
You realize they only play about 66 games in junior, and last year he played 60 games in junior?

ULF_55 is offline  
Old
09-29-2013, 11:54 AM
  #647
BiggestLeafsFanEVER*
GO LEAFS GO
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
Did he say 50-55 games? I thought he said something about "He doesn't have to play every night" but I don't recall this being said at all.
No, he gave a more specific number in an interview he gave a couple of weeks back.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER* is offline  
Old
09-29-2013, 12:58 PM
  #648
Smif
Registered User
 
Smif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
Did he say 50-55 games? I thought he said something about "He doesn't have to play every night" but I don't recall this being said at all.
It's a smart thing to say, if he doesn't have the best year and only plays 50-55 games it's what Carlyle expected. If he plays well and finds himself in more games than he exceeded expectations. Carlyle is managing expectations so the media and fans don't turn on Rielly. Carlyle babysitting the media here...

Smif is offline  
Old
09-29-2013, 01:01 PM
  #649
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.
 
Four1 Lead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YYZ
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,778
vCash: 500
My friends got me a new Leafs jersey.

It has no name or number and I was going to take it to Vaughan Mills to get it customized.

Does anyone think Rielly will keep #44?

Four1 Lead is offline  
Old
09-29-2013, 01:08 PM
  #650
Gutchecktime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
It's a smart thing to say, if he doesn't have the best year and only plays 50-55 games it's what Carlyle expected. If he plays well and finds himself in more games than he exceeded expectations. Carlyle is managing expectations so the media and fans don't turn on Rielly. Carlyle babysitting the media here...
I just hadn't heard it ever said, that's all. Anyone have a link?

Gutchecktime is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.