HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Morgan Rielly Looks Ready

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2013, 09:27 PM
The Beyonder

vCash: 500
I think Gards gonna sit out for Rielly tomorrow to send a message, he's gotta play better in his end, too many times he got beat wide while playing high on both blue lines.

Old
10-01-2013, 10:57 PM
The Winter Soldier

I want to see what Rielly has tomorrow, insert Bernier and Smith too. Despite the win, I wasn't happy with our defence tonight. Need a better game from the fwds too.

Old
10-01-2013, 11:13 PM
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.

Rielly needs to replace Gardiner. Gardiner just didn't look ready at all for most of the night.

Old
10-01-2013, 11:13 PM
TheNorthFace
The Magician

Yeah Rielly should go in for Gardiner or Ranger tomorrow. Neither looked impressive tonight.

Old
10-01-2013, 11:43 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

I'm not sure Philly is the place I'd want a him to have his first game, They got some big and aggressive forwards, And it's usually a carnival in there on a slow night. But if he does play well, Then that could be strong indicator that he is ready.

I'd probably stay with the same 6 especially after a win, Then go with him on Saturday regardless.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:37 AM
sync95

I can't see how the Leafs would drop Reilly back to Moose Jaw. He proved his worth as a serviceable and growing rookie in the preseason. By moving Liles to the AHL, Nonis affirms this.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:39 AM
The Winter Soldier

The hope here is starting tonight, Morgan starts on the 3rd pairing with Fraser and like Nazem Kadri works his way into a top 2 pairing with Franson by mid season.

A developing dependable 2nd pairing for us this year, is probably the most glaring weakness on our team.

Rielly has the IQ, the talent, and attitude to be a major difference maker for us. Really hoping he surprises us with his progress, I know he is good enough to play in the NHL right now, but to be a valuable cog like Kadri, hopefully he can follow his lead.

Elite talent progression starts probably tonight.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:40 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Franchise Centre

Guessing they will start him in Toronto's first home game, in a sheltered role.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:41 AM
WTFMAN99

He's one of three leafs on ice today with Reimer and clarkson, looks scratched again

Old
10-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Silver91
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by sync95 View Post
I can't see how the Leafs would drop Reilly back to Moose Jaw. He proved his worth as a serviceable and growing rookie in the preseason. By moving Liles to the AHL, Nonis affirms this.
As much as I love him and think he's going to be a stud for us, making the roster right now proves nothing. I'll wait until he plays that 10th game this season before assuming he's here for good.

Right now, he's very clearly in a learning role, where we have him practicing with pros, watching/learning the pro game and will give him sheltered minutes in non-consecutive games. He could end up being here for the first 20 games of the year and play only 9 while he gains experience and knowledge that will be invaluable.

Liles being sent down only serves to allow Rielly a chance at staying, since their salaries are a wash and Rielly provides a similar game. If Morgan does get sent back down, Liles will be on the NHL roster that very hour (especially since re-entry waivers no longer apply).

Old
10-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
Liles being sent down only serves to allow Rielly a chance at staying, since their salaries are a wash and Rielly provides a similar game. If Morgan does get sent back down, Liles will be on the NHL roster that very hour (especially since re-entry waivers no longer apply).
So you send down a veteran to try out a 19 year old? I'm not denying that he could very well be sent back to Moose Jaw, but I don't really see the reasoning behind sending Liles, a proven d-man (albeit on a fairly high cap hit), to the AHL in order to potentially see what Rielly can provide. Carlyle said he wants to ice the best roster in order to win.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:29 PM
Leafsin2014*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
So you send down a veteran to try out a 19 year old? I'm not denying that he could very well be sent back to Moose Jaw, but I don't really see the reasoning behind sending Liles, a proven d-man (albeit on a fairly high cap hit), to the AHL in order to potentially see what Rielly can provide. Carlyle said he wants to ice the best roster in order to win.
Carlyle is icing the best roster, those 6 guys don't include Liles or Rielly.

If they wanted Rielly to be around the team and experience things, they had to send Liles down to be cap compliant, it doesn't mean Rielly is better than Liles right now, he probably isn't. They very well could have this idea all along, that Rielly isn't going to be on the team regardless, but the experience for a couple of months is good for him (even if he doesn't play regularly). After Nov he could be sent to Jr, get a lot of playing time, play in the World Juniors, and hopefully a long Jr memorial Cup run.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Tak7

A little surprised that Rielly isn't in the lineup tonight, particularly after Gardiner's terrible opener.

But it seems like the organization, and Carlyle in particular, are really picking and choosing their moments for him and are wrapping him in the proverbial cotton wool and taking care of him.

Even with him not playing, being up here, seeing the way the guys prep, and watching NHL hockey from above, is all a positive experience for him.

Just hope he's not sitting for too long.

Quote:
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old
10-02-2013, 12:51 PM
diceman934
Help is on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
A little surprised that Rielly isn't in the lineup tonight, particularly after Gardiner's terrible opener.

But it seems like the organization, and Carlyle in particular, are really picking and choosing their moments for him and are wrapping him in the proverbial cotton wool and taking care of him.

Even with him not playing, being up here, seeing the way the guys prep, and watching NHL hockey from above, is all a positive experience for him.

Just hope he's not sitting for too long.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Money is not the reason we sent Liles to the Marlies as it is a wash....Liles and Rielly are costing us the same.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Money is not the reason we sent Liles to the Marlies as it is a wash....Liles and Rielly are costing us the same.
Correction - the money that the team is saving from sending Liles down, represents pretty much the same amount of money as Rielly's cap hit.

They ARE NOT costing us the same thing.

Plus, the majority of Rielly's contract $ is in the form of bonus money, which can be deferred to count against next season's cap instead of this season's - something that a lot of teams will be doing given this year's cap crunch.

So, yes - money is a reason why Liles was sent down.

Old
10-02-2013, 01:17 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
I'm not sure Philly is the place I'd want a him to have his first game, They got some big and aggressive forwards, And it's usually a carnival in there on a slow night.
They didn't play him in the season opener in Montreal, which could have been a good decision based on the pressure of that atmosphere. But if they continue with that logic and don't play him in Philly either, as you advocate, the next option is to play him in the home opener, which has its own pressures. At some point they have to just get him in there, pressure or not.

Old
10-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Canada4Gold

Quote:
Correction - the money that the team is saving from sending Liles down, represents pretty much the same amount of money as Rielly's cap hit.

Plus, the majority of Rielly's contract $ is in the form of bonus money, which can be deferred to count against next season's cap instead of this season's - something that a lot of teams will be doing given this year's cap crunch.

This comment makes no sense. Liles is making his 3.875 million no matter where he plays, we still have to pay him that. Bye having Rielly up we have to pay him his base salary of almost 900k, plus whatever bonuses he earns.

By sending Liles down and keeping Rielly we are saving roughly 25k against the cap this year but we're paying out more money than we would if Liles was here and Rielly was in junior.

Liles wasn't sent down so that we could have an extra 25k cap room because we're enough over the cap right now that room wasn't necessary, and Liles was obviously not send down so that we could save money that actually gets paid out because we're actually paying out more under the current scenario than we would with Liles up here and Rielly in junior.

Ergo, Liles was NOT sent down for $$$ reasons

Old
10-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Cor
OT Thread Leader

vCash: 72
Also, if it was money reasons, why not have Holzer up instead of Rielly?

Old
10-02-2013, 01:44 PM
LEAFSIN4

I see JVR having a big game today. Dude looks like a beast out there.

All the tools to be a star, just needs to keep finding his groove.

We now have 4 guys who can hit 70 points year in year out. Feels good man

Old
10-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Leafsin2014*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor View Post
Also, if it was money reasons, why not have Holzer up instead of Rielly?
The experience of being around an NHL team, practicing, etc might be valuable for Rielly. Clearly that's true because he's not playing right now. This won't last, he either seriously impresses when he eventually plays or he goes back. He'll probably go back before 10 games and Liles will be our 7th guy, which he is perfect for.

Old
10-02-2013, 01:54 PM
Smif

Why would you not play him in a back to back game?

Old
10-02-2013, 01:55 PM
Frelimo

Quote:

This is one of the most confused posts I've ever seen.

Old
10-02-2013, 02:01 PM
pspot

im 100% fine with him practicing and then watching the big club vs dominating kids in jr

I trust Carlyle in terms of development

Stretch the 9 games out until world jrs and then make the call after that

Old
10-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
im 100% fine with him practicing and then watching the big club vs dominating kids in jr

I trust Carlyle in terms of development

Stretch the 9 games out until world jrs and then make the call after that
Nine games in three months??? Definitely not ok with that.

Old
10-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Silver91
Agent 0091

Quote:

Yeah...You only save $925k on the cap from sending Liles down (still have to pay him his full salary), which is exactly what Rielly makes as a base salary. Therefore, not only do the Leafs not gain cap space through this move, they are paying more money by using this option. Funny, doesn't seem to point towards money being the reason Liles was sent down.

Quote:
As another poster stated, neither Liles nor Rielly are among the organization's top 6 as of today. The question isn't whether or not Rielly is better, but what's best for everyone involved. Yeah, I'm sure Liles wants to play on the Leafs/in the NHL, BUT...would he not be better served skating every day and keeping game action for a while right now? Especially when you ask whether Rielly's better served going straight back to the Warriors or if spending some time as the team's 7th defenceman would be best for him when he's played at least as good as Liles through camp.

IMO, the experience for Rielly + Liles not sitting in a press box (he isn't going to gain the same experience as the 7th as Morgan will) >>>> Liles being the 7 and Rielly going straight back to junior

If Rielly impresses through the rest of his try-out (exactly what this is), then Liles stays down until injuries occur. If not, he goes back and Liles comes back up either right away or when needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
Nine games in three months??? Definitely not ok with that.
Furthest the 9 games will be stretched is until mid-November in the home/home against Buffalo. That would be our 20th game (Nov. 16) and there's enough games against teams that we wouldn't have to worry too much about him making mistakes in for him to get his feet wet. At least, that's my ideal target for when a final decision would be made.

Closed Thread